Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Question about handling finances and collecting

Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
So I'm still in high school and I've decided to resume collecting legos. I've made a few goals of
creating a large scale battle of hoth
Creating squads for my favorite clone wars commanders 
Along with a couple of other clones wars vehicles.
I also want a Lego tumbler from batman. I can currently get them for a decent price but my parents want me to put my money for a laptop. I'm going to have a summer job again so I can get a laptop then but there's no guarantee that tumblers won't cost an arm and a leg by that point. Keep in mind to buy the tumbler I would be selling some other hobby stuff I don't really use. Is it worth waiting on all the other stuff on my list to buy a Lego tumbler now? 

Comments

• ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I would get the tumbler now, it'll never be cheaper 
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,136
    If the Tumbler is on your want list I would probably bump that to the top ahead of Star Wars Hoth sets. It's starting to go out of stock in multiple places.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,135
    Computers only depreciate. Lego hold their value a little better.
    FollowsCloselyVorpalRyuAllBrickkiki180703Jackad7
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,402
    ^^ Good point there.

Tell your parents it's an investment.
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    The Tumbler's already been retired in several countries. It's only going to get more expensive so if I were you I'd get it ASAP
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,362
    It is much easier to buy Lego if you have disposable income.
    Dedgeckokiki180703RidzDesignpharmjodRonyar77ncaachampsAdzbadboyderfazoid
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    Just be cool.
    Don't be a fool.
    Save your money to pay for school.
    nicoyagomezPitfall6977ncaachampsbrumeyAdzbadboyGothamConstructionCoDedgecko
    ^ Sucka!

(Are we doing Mr. T. quotes?)
    Pitfall69Thanos75
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 467
    if you can come to an agreement first, with your parents, about buying the tumbler now and that it's only the tumbler and that you will not get any more lego until after you get a laptop, then get the tumbler. But only if your parents agree.

If you need the laptop for school, get the laptop first. school / education is far more important and will help you on the road to a good job that will allow you to get lots of lego in the future.
    JELJ1S
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2016
    CCC said:
    The Tumbler is only an investment if you are planning on selling it. Otherwise it is a toy / collectable. I'd save the money for your education. 
    Can't it be both?  It's been pretty clear that many Lego sets can be investments even after they are used as a toy.  E.g. A few years ago I bought the Green Grocer with the specific thought of using it as a "toy/collectible," but at the same time considering it a distinct investment, speculating that the value would increase and I'd get some capital gains on it if I decided I didn't want to keep it.  I didn't buy it planning to resell it, but like most any other thing I have, it's always an option.
    SprinkleOtterPitfall69
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,135
    I agree that education is the highest priority, but laptops (tablets) have such a huge price range and are constantly depreciating that it would be a mistake to buy one now without any thought on how you will use it. Schools/colleges provide workstation for students and consider the cost of software. Buy the Tumbler now at retail, build it, sell it when you are ready to buy a laptop/tablet with the same specs you would buy now at a cheaper price. 
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    CCC said:
    The Tumbler is only an investment if you are planning on selling it. Otherwise it is a toy / collectable. I'd save the money for your education. 
    Can't it be both?
    It depends on the parents. In this, it is their opinion and only their opinion that counts.

Going against your parents is likely to cause friction, both now and in the future. If anything goes wrong, it gives them the opportunity to blame it on your "childishness".

So, do the "adult thing" and negotiate. You know what you want; they want something else; so how do you meet in the middle? If you can raise half by selling stuff, perhaps they'd effectively finance the rest - and then lock it up in a cupboard pending you being able to buy it back. Even if they won't think of it as an investment, they'll probably still think they can get all their money back by selling it at half price. Tell them that if anybody loses money, it'll be you, and that if you learn the hard way, so be it - you've got to learn somehow!  You, we, may know different, of course. Sell the idea to them on their terms. It would mean you've got a tumbler just locked in a cupboard, but that's no worse than buying it at the end of the summer, and a lot better than trying to buy it at the end of the summer and finding it EOLed.
    pharmjodkiki180703nicoyagomezcatwranglerRainstorm26INDYJONAS
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    Again.  A very personal and subjective issue here.  However I believe that LEGO is always secondary to a handful of life "things".  Family, Health, EDUCATION...

Do what works for you and is acceptable to your parents - especially if you are still living with them?  
    catwranglerMordoor
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,727
    Apart from the long-term cause and effect of negotiating with parents about money, I think that having the laptop will save you from all manner of pains in the backside in the future. While it's true that lots of schools provide workstations, murphy's law states that there's going to be times (more than you can guess at until it happens, but naturally including all those times when you have a paper due) when some of them are down, they're not in a place that's conducive to working, the wifi signal's awful and you need to access stuff online to work, etc. etc.

And as someone who didn't get to university but has worked freelance for years, I can safely say that having your own laptop is worth its weight in gold, even if you already (as I'd guess) have a tablet. 

The other thing is that unless you can earn a lot and minimise your expenses, chances are there's always going to be a big, soon-to-retire or just-retired set that you want as much as you want the Tumbler now, but can't afford. I naively thought I'd be satisfied when I bought the Medieval Market Village last year. NOPE. Now I'm looking at Star Wars sets, and I always said I wouldn't fall into that particular cash black hole. Think of me as the Ghost of Christmas Lego Future and get the laptop first. ;)
    Jackad7kiki180703speppernicoyagomez
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,082
    As most have said, it is your (and yours alone) decision to make based on circumstances that you alone know/control. Should you buy the Tumbler now? Yes, if you can afford it. It will most certainly be higher next summer. My guess is at least $300.00.

One thing to note is that education does not necessarily have to cost money. You get lots of good education/experience making burgers and pushing a lawn mower. We all assume that you will be graduating soon. Do you want to go to college? Do you know what you want to study? If the answer is "No", don't waste you time and money (LOTS of money) trying to figure it out. A B.A. in "General Studies" will net you the same job that your High School diploma will. The only difference is that 100K student loan debt. My son is graduating High School this spring and has no desire to go to school at this time. He is one step away from managing a Domino's franchise store at age 19. He has learn tons about managing people, money, inventories etc. My daughter is will be done with undergrad this spring also and is applying to Med school. I am equally proud of both. As long as your perusing something that will turn you into a responsible adult, your parents will support and encourage you. 

So have a a chat with your parents about your future. Is college in your future? Maybe learn about money and customer service by starting a small Bricklink store! (Talk them into investing in 10 Tumblers right now and when you sell this summer, compare those return rates to their IRA, heh, heh!!) Maybe enlist in the military for 4 years. They pay you while training you and you may get free college out of it if you play your cards right.  Lots of options!

Good luck!
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703MrShinyAndNewcatwranglerISDAvengerZon
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 656
    I thought the title said "Question about handling fiances and collecting" but that, my friend, is another problem for your future.
    SumoLegoJackad7kiki180703Jern92ricecakecatwranglerDedgecko
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 974
    skip the Tumbler
    Jackad7kiki180703FollowsClosely
    donutboy said:
    I thought the title said "Question about handling fiances and collecting" but that, my friend, is another problem for your future.
    I would definitely spend most of my time handling my fiancee instead of collecting.  She probably found it annoying, but still married me anyway.
    Rainstorm26Toc13gmonkey76
    My advice, unless you have the UCS Batmobile, I would save your cash for something more exclusive.
    Jackad7derfazoid
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 477
    This is not going to be easy to hear, but I'll say it anyway. Get off of this forum. Don't religiously check Lego news. Enjoy your formative years and set yourself up for a great career by investing in your education (with your money and your time). Trust me, the next ten years will fly by. Before you know it, you'll be on your own with a good job.

Lego will continue to make great sets and will do so when you join the ranks of working AFOLs in a few years. Not to mention the fact that there will be plenty of resellers that will allow you to make up for lost time when you're ready to take on the hobby.

Or, buy the Tumbler. It won't ruin your life!  Haha
    Yodalicious77ncaachampsnicoyagomezcatwrangler
    ^  Thanks, Dad.
    Jackad7kiki180703SprinkleOtterRainstorm26bobabricks
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
    As of right now I think I'm going to pursue actuarial science. Assuming I don't run out of college with a family and I live with my parents for a year or two after to help pay off my debt fast I'm assuming it willopen up more money for me to work on the big stuff then. Thanks for everyone's helpful advice I really appreciate it!
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,082
    Ah, the science of numbers! That should land you a good paying job in the Insurance or Gambling industry! 
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 940
    LOL how the first five posts were on the side of buying Lego than the tide turned quickly.
    Jackad7catwrangler
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 43
    The real reason everyone is ripping this kid apart is because he called them "legoS"
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 940
    empire said:
    The real reason everyone is ripping this kid apart is because he called them "legoS"
    NO......him stating "legos" is a mute point.  Stay on topic....it's about life priorities and having sound judgement. 
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    i d say

both

get a cheap laptop for education. those can be had for as little as 200€ or something!
    you wont need a windows licence nor do you need fancy new graphics.

just install a linux distro and eclipse for programming
    if you dont want to dive deep into programming the laptop should be capable of showing internet pages, runnning an email client ,do spreadsheets, write letters, print things on a network printer, access files in a network, torrenting and of course it will also run bricksetforum.com and bricklink.com

dont get windows just for fancy graphics and games. you can have everything on linux too and its free of charge there.
    tecjam
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    SumoLego said:
    It is much easier to buy Lego if you have disposable income.
    ^ This...  and there will ALWAYS be more LEGO sets to get in the future.

I used to have most of the nice big sets, but as I noticed LEGO releasing more and more large sets, I started to sell them off.  The only two I really miss are #10212 and #10179.  Everything else, meh...

At some point, you'll have more than you know what to do with.
    FollowsCloselySumoLegokiki180703
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 756

At some point, you'll have more than you know what to do with.
    I kinda have that problem now actually. Not enough display space, and spare empty rooms won't magically appear. Can't bring myself to sell my modulars though; I worked so hard to buy each and every one of them.
  • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown Niagara FallsMember Posts: 88
    take it from somebody who passed on taj mahal to get a laptop in grade 9 that I have no regrets though I had to pay 3 times as much later for one have no regrets.

School is always #1 

But, Try to convince them that'll it be worth more later is how I got my green grocer and Cafe Corner love those things. Almost convinced them of the taj mahal got them in the store and than stopped pushing for it when we got there because I thought I had in the bag not so much lol...

the good news is now I'm in a very good university, I got a taj mahal and since my parants paid for it they are more willing to buy me more lego to save the expense of paying more later. :)
    SumoLegoLegoTTThanos75kiki180703Adzbadboy
    edited January 2016
    1265 said:
    empire said:
    NO......him stating "legos" is a mute point.  Stay on topic....it's about life priorities and having sound judgement. 
    It's definitely not a mute point.

Nor is it a moot point for people outside America, and some inside it.

As for "life priorities", there's more than one way of skinning a cat. Give somebody a choice of two options, and you're missing out on dozens of others - and that's a rather important consideration for a future actuary.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I resolved to joke less this year, since most of my jokes weren't very good...so I won't use one now like I was originally going to.

However, it must be odd that this whole time I thought the OP was talking about any Tumbler, not THE Tumbler..as in, bricklink a small version like in the Bat set that came out a few years ago and it won't cost much at all.

I have the "UCS" version and while it is impressive, I felt like it was too large of a scale compared to what I wanted AND it falls apart by barely touching it. So it is impressive, and upsetting at the same time.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I had a girlfriend like that once. Fantastic to look at but not much fun to play with.
    SumoLegokiki180703bandit778tallblocktoogmonkey76tecjamAdzbadboybobabricksCoolguy5000
    TigerMoth said:
    1265 said:
    NO......him stating "legos" is a mute point. 

Frowny face for the grammar police!
    TheLoneTensorSprinkleOtterkiki180703tallblocktooAdzbadboy

Thanos75 said:
    I had a girlfriend like that once. Fantastic to look at but not much fun to play with.
    Should've made her a finacee.  Probably would have been more fun to handle.
    Thanos75kiki180703gmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    SumoLego said:
    TigerMoth said:
    1265 said:

Granma police?

SprinkleOttercatwranglerkiki180703Jenni
    SumoLego said:
    TigerMoth said:
    1265 said:

That was just a secondary point, to prepare for the main one that followed.

The grammar police come after you with a ruler to rap your knuckles. Big deal.

The misuse-of-trademark police come after you with a pliers, hot irons, a noose and a wooden stake as they become progressively more "enthusiastic". After all, it's a crime second only to purchasing clones. Isn't it?
    SumoLego said:

Thanos75 said:
    Should've made her a finacee.  Probably would have been more fun to handle.
    Made her a what? :-) If they're fun to handle, I want one! Or even two - one for each hand.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2016
    What are you talking about?
    SumoLego
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 540
    This thread took a strangely creepy turn...
    TheLoneTensorkiki180703chuckpJern92pharmjodSprinkleOtterAdzbadboy
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,764
    Sometimes there are more important things to spend your money on than Lego.

I've just had to spend £600 on tyres for my car because it is twitchy in the wet even when driving like a nun. I felt quite aggrieved having to get new tyres, the ones that came with my car when new last May are only about 25% worn, but they are crap (Bridgestones offer really poor damp grip). £600 because VW chose to put crap tyres not up to the job on a hot hatch (they put better tyres on for the home market).

I wanted to spend the money (well almost half of it) on the new GB HQ after seeing it in the Metrocentre on Sunday and seriously wanting it (even the missus liked it to pair with the Ecto, although not enough to go halfers).

For me i'll keep my car out of a ditch and wait a few months to get the GB HQ. Priorities.
    catwranglerJackad7air_b
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Jackad7 I feel ya on the question of higher education versus immediate fun gratification. But let this be the first example of where most people get it wrong. Most choices in life are not 'yes/no', 'left/right' but can be a mix of 'both/none', 'all/some/nothing'. It is possible for you to save up for Uni while simultaneously spending a little sum to get the Tumbler now (versus 3x more for it later). The answer:

Internship/Part Time job specializing/related to your field of Actuary Science.

You'll be learning early for your career, possibly earning credits towards your degree, making social connections to folks in the field, expand your resume, establish real industry experience, make your parents proud, earn a chunk of change for your Lego habit. Even better if you can make a deal with your folks that if you get a suitable job, that they gift you the Tumbler on Day 1 of the new gig.

If you're lucky and work hard in your endeavors, you won't ever have to choose again. You can simply go with "all the above".
    tallblocktoo
  • wunztwicewunztwice Oregon, USAMember Posts: 25
    edited January 2016
    My best advice: Go out and find some extra work, (shovel snow, mow lawns, help someone move, hold up signs for pizza on the sidewalk, etc), or ask your parents if they will add to/start an allowance for extras chores.  

I understand the desire for the set right now. However, I can tell you as a man who just entered his 30's and is married, there are other things that are indeed more important to save for.  But, with a little extra cashola you can buy both, and won't be missing on the laptop either.  

Who knows, perhaps you will even strike upon a great service for others and earn even more?!?!  You will also have the satisfaction of doing something good for your future!!!  And while there are certainly LEGO sets I am happy I purchased, there are also some I have laying around that I really wanted back then, but now, meh...  Lately I've been selling off quite a few sets which don't mean much to me to start another savings/investment account to better provide for my family in the future.
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Sometimes there are more important things to spend your money on than Lego.

I've just had to spend £600 on tyres for my car because it is twitchy in the wet even when driving like a nun. I felt quite aggrieved having to get new tyres, the ones that came with my car when new last May are only about 25% worn, but they are crap (Bridgestones offer really poor damp grip). £600 because VW chose to put crap tyres not up to the job on a hot hatch (they put better tyres on for the home market).

I wanted to spend the money (well almost half of it) on the new GB HQ after seeing it in the Metrocentre on Sunday and seriously wanting it (even the missus liked it to pair with the Ecto, although not enough to go halfers).

For me i'll keep my car out of a ditch and wait a few months to get the GB HQ. Priorities.
    Thought it might be the same 'monkey hanger' when I was browsing roc earlier.  
    joel4motion (4motion as in Haldex I presume?) - Yep, that's me, my Car and Lego being big drains on my disposable income!
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
    monkeyhanger said:Sometimes there are more important things to spend your money on than Lego. 
    Man isn't that the truth. I drive a volkswagen jetta and I slid that thing on dry concrete going the speed limit.
    Jackad7 said:
    Man isn't that the truth. I drive a volkswagen jetta and I slid that thing on dry concrete going the speed limit.
    At the risk of getting my knuckles rapped for staying off topic, I got Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the car is now glued to the road! It will keep me safe when driving to the Metrocentre to visit the Lego shop (back on topic :) ).
    kiki180703
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    joel4motion (4motion as in Haldex I presume?) - Yep, that's me, my Car and Lego being big drains on my disposable income!
    Long succession of fast(ish) golfs drained my finances more than Lego ever will! When Im back from Germany ill be buying some PSS's myself, and a GBHQ (to keep it on topic)