Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

76052 - Batman Classic TV Series, Batcave

12345679»

Comments

• brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    only keen on some dark tan rock bricks. and maybe the new printed 1x4.
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    For me this set is the worst set Lego has made since Galidor. It's a huge fail!

It looks terribly unfinished and even with people calling it a 'play set', I can only really think of 1 play feature: the pole. A car and a helicopter you can play with, but imo they aren't 'play-features' as such. Every bloody city set seems to come with one or the other.

The pole is just poorly done. They could have had a trap door to drop Bruce and Dick down a level and release Batman and Robin on the poles, especially since the decided to make this monstrosity so huge to start with.

The house-front of the mansion goes all the way into the cave? wtf? They could have doubled the width of the house making it cover the power generator and the poles, had the pointless 'garage' and helicopter landing part of the build in front of the poles and generator with a waterfall on hinges to drive the car in and out of - and that would have already been 100 times greater than what we got.

And why not have some printed signs (or stickers for all I care - as that is what we've been accustomed to in really expensive sets, whilst cheap junior sets get all printed pieces!) with 'Kapow!!' and 'Slam!' and 'Thud!!' so we could pose the minfigs with the actions out of the old series??

Overall it's just not very well thought out and worst of all, it's extremely poorly executed! It could have been so much more with just a little more effort and not even with that many more parts used.
    In all seriousness this has to be my least favourite set released so far.

@brumey: I'm parting mine out because I find this eyesore somewhat offensive. So, if you want you can send me a list of any parts you want from this set along with what you are willing to pay - dark tan rocks and printed 1by4s or whatever ... The only things I can not offer are the figs, car and copter. Please note: stickers are applied.
    Rsa33catwranglerryjay
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,083
    Does Galidor really count as a building set?  I don't think so.

They still suck.  Galidor.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    ^^Not sure why you'd want to pay so much for a set you despise so much inless the plan all along was just to acquire the minifigs and part the rest out. It is a little unfinished, it's screaming out for an extension to the Wayne Manor room to hang over the cave set-up and could do with an extension underneath it, but all of the extra rhings that could've been done would've jacked the price right up. I'll be getting the set and will be looking to extend via pick-a-brick or bricklink to make it resemble the finished article.
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    edited April 2016
    I'm not sure I agree with the price having been jacked up @monkeyhanger. A lot of the big parts could have been saved or replaced with more common parts (or even technic beams) to keep the cost down. Just because of the length of the poles the sturcture didn't need to be this tall and the second half of the face of the building could have been placed on the side instead of 'underground'. And even had it taken 500 more parts to make it a worthy, good looking model, surely the around 300 price mark wouldn't have sold noticeably less units than a fugly and unfinished design no one wants to display.

Overall I am just disappointed that in the (at least) 18-24 month design and review phase none of the other lego designers took the set and simply said: It sucks the way it is. Which, from all the negativity this set gets from customers, at least one of them should have. Or maybe they are so far removed from what their customers want that it never crossed their minds, which actually seems more likely looking at the new UCS Hoth set.

I mean, it's not like they had to cut corners because of a due date!?
    It was a one-time chance and they blew it big time imo.
    And yes, the only saving grace are the figs which will account for a majority of sales.
    BrickDancerryjay
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    i note that Bricks and Pieces, do not have the 1x4 wallpaper brick for sale.
    if this brick can only be got in this set them it don't mater how awesome it is.
    your never going to have enough to use it for anything cool.
    if they had come out with a 1x2 as well this could have been a Big selling Brick.
    now it just a oh look it a brick that had a lot of promise but now it just a dead duck.   
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,909
    What if they made it available, but charged say £1 for it.

It is made for this set (so far). Just like exclusive torso prints are often made for particular sets.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,083
    It appears there are plenty of Mr. Freeze polybags left at [email protected] and in the retail stores.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I've already put this set and all it's pieces out of my mind as tho' they never existed...oh, well
  • ricardo616ricardo616 Member Posts: 44
    I'm so torn about this set, one part of me knows it's mediocre, especially for such a high price point, but the other part of me has been reading the comics since I was 6 (29 years!), has an already pointless collection of Batmerch and is desperately trying to think of ways to scratch up the money. I think I have something wrong with me.....
    catwranglerLegoboy
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Here's my take...

I got the set. And, admittedly, I really like it. Cool to play with (my son thinks so), good vehicles, GREAT minifigures. All-in-all, it's a good set. Sure, it's not the display piece that a modular, or the Temple of Airjitzu, or even the Arkham Asylum, but it's not supposed to be.

There is, however, a HUGE problem. It's not worth $270. Throw out piece count for a minute. It's just not a $270 set. It's the Fairground Mixer to me. Good set, want to own it, throw piece count back in and it's not horrible. But the price doesn't equal the end result. A set with that price tag needs more. It's hard to define what that "more" is, but it just needs more for $270.

So why did I buy it? A combination of birthday gift cards and VIP points. I always knew I wanted it for my collection, but also wouldn't pay $270 out of pocket for it. 
    catwrangler77ncaachampsTXLegoguytallblocktoo
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 496

I finally saw it built at my local LEGO store--yes, I own it; no, it's a ways down my "to build" list--and am more convinced than ever that it's really just a first approximation design. Which will at least make for an interesting challenge. How much can I improve it (at least in my own estimation) without adding other bricks to the set?

Thinking about that is starting to move the set up that "to build" list almost briskly!

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,788
    ^ Here's my take...

I got the set. And, admittedly, I really like it. Cool to play with (my son thinks so), good vehicles, GREAT minifigures. All-in-all, it's a good set. Sure, it's not the display piece that a modular, or the Temple of Airjitzu, or even the Arkham Asylum, but it's not supposed to be.

There is, however, a HUGE problem. It's not worth $270. Throw out piece count for a minute. It's just not a $270 set. It's the Fairground Mixer to me. Good set, want to own it, throw piece count back in and it's not horrible. But the price doesn't equal the end result. A set with that price tag needs more. It's hard to define what that "more" is, but it just needs more for $270.

So why did I buy it? A combination of birthday gift cards and VIP points. I always knew I wanted it for my collection, but also wouldn't pay $270 out of pocket for it. 
    I feel the same way to be honest. I like enough in I want it, but that 270 USD price tag is just too much for me. I also refuse to spend VIP points on it to reduce the cost. I want the Batmobile and figures in the set, namely Catwoman and Joker, but kinda of like the others now as well. Adding the figs I want up, even on BL, and the batmobile is about 180 USD I think I calculated (batmobile off of eBay) which means many folks are trying to recoup whatever they bought the set for (likely either the figures or the batmobile).

Kinda hope this set somehow comes down in price so I can acquire one at least 50 dollars cheaper, but not holding my breath.
    Yodalicious
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    It's a special set and I expect it will be gone before next summer (2017), which is a shorter availability than the UCS Tumbler. What's interesting is that the minifigs in this set are more rare than the classic Mr. Freeze set being given away by Lego, yet the Mr. Freeze is doing at least as well as most of the minifigs in this set. Personally what I like about this set are the minifigures and my approach was to just grab those from BL.

I must admit it's the minifigures that are the main draw for me, but the one I want the most is actually Robin, since it's a gorgeous representation of the classic Dick costume in the comics too. 
    Just planning out how I would like to expand this set and what it's likely to cost me.

The Wayne Manor section needs to be at least 3 times its current size (width) and double the depth, with a grand fireplace, some windows that can be seen from both sides and the odd bit of furniture (sofas, dresser unit), maybe some oak paneling walls, and a roadway running in front of the bat computer with a flappy foliage covered batcave exit on the right. The cave standings would need to be beefed up a little to accomodate the weight above it. If I could do all that then the whole thing could function as one solid unit (much like Jabba's Palace/Rancor Pit.
    Just planning out how I would like to expand this set and what it's likely to cost me.

The Wayne Manor section needs to be at least 3 times its current size (width) and double the depth, with a grand fireplace, some windows that can be seen from both sides and the odd bit of furniture (sofas, dresser unit), maybe some oak paneling walls, and a roadway running in front of the bat computer with a flappy foliage covered batcave exit on the right. The cave standings would need to be beefed up a little to accomodate the weight above it. If I could do all that then the whole thing could function as one solid unit (much like Jabba's Palace/Rancor Pit.
    if you do this please please make a LDD file.
    then we can all try our hands at it.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 985
    The Wayne manor on Lego ideas was soooooo amazing. Wonder how much that cost to make.
    TecJam: I pm'd you about your spare Batcave parts.
    ChrisAlddin: I did something similar to beef up Jabba's beachhut to something a little more Palatial with 2 sets each of the Palace and Rancor pit, but those sets were heavily discounted from Amazon.es before they were available in the UK, I think I got about 20% more for the minifigs than I paid for the Palace, not so easy this time around as the Bat -cave is a big buy.

Just wondering how I can incorporate the villains into the set - maybe lock them up in a holding cell within the Bat-cave? or is that just a bit daft?
    ChrisAlddin: I did something similar to beef up Jabba's beachhut to something a little more Palatial with 2 sets each of the Palace and Rancor pit, but those sets were heavily discounted from Amazon.es before they were available in the UK, I think I got about 20% more for the minifigs than I paid for the Palace, not so easy this time around as the Bat -cave is a big buy.

Just wondering how I can incorporate the villains into the set - maybe lock them up in a holding cell within the Bat-cave? or is that just a bit daft?
    you need a base for the evil guy's.
    maybe there is some other lego set from one of the other themes you can Moc for use in this idea? maybe even one of this years Summer set's.
    maybe one of the light houses?
    Well i've made a start on the normal build, but I feel like i've cheated myself on the build, as I haven't touched my own Wayne Manor section. I built the Wayne Manor that I got from ebay quickly just to know it was complete so I can leave prompt good feedback.

Sold as new, it was pre-built into lots of flat sections to go in a slim box, it was 70% built as was (is a set that has been built once for the purposes of showcasing it on an ebay ad considered new? Almost certainly not).

I now have an idea of what I want to do with it, having seen the design around the poles etc. Keep the Wayne Manor section build pretty much as is in the middle section of a Wayne Manor that will be 3x the current width and expand the floor area accordingly  maybe splitting into 2 rooms with sofas etc, a fireplace and a trophy cabinet (i've seen a picture of one in a few Adam West Batman episodes).

The current back skin with the windows will become one of the sides of a Wayne manor wing, same with the "spare"on the other side. The skin (the large dark orange plates) will be replaced with medium flesh coloured brick/masonry blocks and straight-faced bricks with the same type window configuration, with a wide back that will look a lot like this pic of 60s Batman Wayne Manor:-

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5220/1342/1600/wayne_manor.jpg

Using that picture to design the back would probably mean the set becoming a storey taller and not having the drawing room into the roof, as the roofline would slope down the sides of the building rather than the back.

I'm hoping to make the drawing room area a little less tall or make the oak panelling taller so the wallpaper bricks go further - i'll have 32 to play with now instead of 16, but I want to see if I can get away with the wallpaper bricks only being 6 tall instead of 8 tall. With the fireplace in the same room and on the same wall as the bookcase I think I might get the wallpapered wall 24 studs wide, and making the rest of the walls wood paneling effect same colour as the bookcase.

I can get the cave part of the build done quite quickly, it's just a matter of spreading the 3 bits out on a stable base bigger than the original footprint and spreading a few of the spare columns and rocky outcrop bits around from the other Wayne Manor section without having to dip into bricklink/pick-a-brick.

All in I expect that the finished article will be at least 1500 bricks more than the kit. Hopefully my description makes it easy to imagine what i'll be trying to do with the set.

bandit778chrisalddinsklambcatwrangler
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 700
    At first my opinion was as most of the forum participants. I went to the LEGO store yesterday to buy the Sandcrawler on sale but it allready sold out. Whilst walking through the store, my eye fell on the Batcave all build up and it really impressed me... The official pictures absolutely don't do the set justice, as it looks huge in real life and much more 'complete' than you'd think.
    I couldn't resist buying it, allthough my first intention was sandcrawler or helicarrier...
    Someone else that was pleasingly surprised when seeing this set irl? 
    To be honest, that was the same for me, I'm a huge Batfan, but the set did nothing for me based on the the pictures and YouTube videos I saw. But after I saw it built up in my local brand store, I really want it! Unfortunately it's out of my budget at the minute, but I'm hoping to get it soon.
    wardm
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 700
    Rest in peace, Adam West!
    bandit778madforLEGOcatwranglerCM4STXLegoguygmonkey76ricecakeAdeelZubair
    Wonder if the passing of Adam West may cause the Classic Batcave to get a spike in sales. I am probably going to get one just because the figures are so pricey on BL I may as well just buy the set. Kinda hoping for a discount from somewhere (or maybe a double points promo)  before I buy it though.
    CM4Sgmonkey76
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 500
    ^According to the July store calendar there will be  double VIP points from July 1-4.
    madforLEGOCM4STXLegoguytamamahmgmonkey76
    Adzbadboy said:
    Yeah. I think Target's here in the US had them down to 249.99 USD at some point. Would like to get it at a sale price, but kind of worried that is will be discontinued before I decide to spring for it.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Target Australia cleared them out for $199 AUD ($150 USD) about 8 weeks ago. Absolutely chuffed That I managed to pick up a few at that price!  It's been YEARS since we had such a good deal on LEGO...