Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

76052 - Batman Classic TV Series, Batcave

Comments

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,475
    edited January 2016
    I count 29, right? for 2500 pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if vladek's fortress had 100. actually just counted. at least 68 I would consider large pieces.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    brumey said:
    given that the spooky houses and arkham asylum are really good looking sets!
    When I think Wayne Manor + LEGO, Haunted House immediately comes to mind. Getting a room, some wall, and some gimmicks would make me feel short-changed.
    I think this set is kind of reaching the extreme of the recent trend of blurring the lines between "AFOL collector set" and "Play Set".  We've seen over the past few years the trend in the large D2C sets further and further away from strictly display sets (with a couple exceptions), more toward "large expensive playsets" Examples include the SandCrawler and Ewok Village in the Star Wars line, the Mixer and Ferris Wheel, the last 3 modulars have all had an increased focus on play - more minifigs, more interiors, more accessories, secret compartments, etc.  The GB Firehouse clearly is a full on playset.

With this set they basically said "we aren't even going to pretend to make this anything other than a playset". it's qualities as a display model are pretty poor.

BTW - I'm sure this trend is working for them from a sales perspective, in which case it's the smart business move. Its obviously not my preference however.
    LegoTTTheLoneTensorYodaliciouscatwranglermadforLEGODiggydoesMynattkiki180703snowhitie
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 496

I think what I want to do is move the office to the ground floor of Wayne Manor by shifting the entire shell of the building up two levels and building a new "frame" around the pole mechanism. Then I could add two more interior vignettes to improve the upper floors of the Manor, and those rock-backed windows would no longer upset me. Of course, all that added construction would increase the actual cost of the set even more....

Back-to-back with GBHQ (perhaps with some connection between the Batcave and the headquarter's basement) might also be an interesting project. Maybe the strange things bubbling up through the sidewalk aren't caused by ghosts after all!

INDYJONASkiki180703Amanda1983snowhitie
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    @dougts I completely agree. Ewok Village is another set I wanted to love, but knew it would be enjoyed for a short time and boxed back up. Just not easy to display a set like that. At least we're still seeing the UCS ships.

I am hoping we see a new 'Tower Bridge' set soon. I heard rumors of Big Ben a while back. Hope that still happens.  

Back to this topic...I wonder if they pushed for a sub-theme for the 60s Batman and were declined. So, they built one big set and threw in all the great minifigs and the Batmobile.  At the end of the day, if there was around $200 worth of 60s Batman sets, I would spring for a few of them. Just hard to spring for a set at this price. Oh well. 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,788
    edited January 2016
    Hard to wrap my mind around a 249.99 USD 'playset', let alone a 269.99 USD one. It probably is just me, but I would not want my kid playing with an expensive set like that were parts and stuff can get lost or damaged. It is bad enough that 'City' sets are getting to the same inflated price as trains (and the trains are over priced for what you get anyway, but that is another argument in another thread). It is also probably the reason why those 'City' sets are being discounted at 150 USD (specifically the City Square and Cargo train) right now and have been for about 2-3 weeks now. The sad thing is, in the US at least, LEGO refuses to do so with these 'UCS', 'exclusives', and other collector type sets, any longer. Will be interesting to see how long it take LEGO to sell them off (without being able to discount them) when they no longer are producing them. I dunno, maybe that is their plan.
    gmonkey76kiki180703dougtsAdeelZubairAmanda1983CircleK
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 864
    Hard to wrap my mind around a 249.99 USD 'playset', let alone a 269.99 USD one. It probably is just me, but I would not want my kid playing with an expensive set like that were parts and stuff can get lost or damaged. It is bad enough that 'City' sets are getting to the same inflated price as trains (and the trains are over priced for what you get anyway, but that is another argument in another thread). It is also probably the reason why those 'City' sets are being discounted at 150 USD (specifically the City Square and Cargo train) right now and have been for about 2-3 weeks now. The sad thing is, in the US at least, LEGO refuses to do so with these 'UCS', 'exclusives', and other collector type sets, any longer. Will be interesting to see how long it take LEGO to sell them off (without being able to discount them) when they no longer are producing them. I dunno, maybe that is their plan.
    Who said anything about kids playing with the sets? Adults can play too, you know... some even enjoy it. I for one much prefer a set you can do something with to one that's merely a display piece. It's part of why I prefer some of the more recent modular buildings (with story and play scenarios) to older ones like the Café Corner where the fun is pretty much over when you finish building it. And based on the reactions I've gotten showing off the finished models to non-FOL friends and neighbors, I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment.
    thedingman5kiki180703AdeelZubairAmanda1983snowhitie
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Did I miss the part where he said adults couldn't play with it?
    MattsWhatmadforLEGOkiki180703AdeelZubair
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    The big two-piece helipad floor - are those stickers or prints?
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Patrik78 said:
    Stickers I believe.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    Patrik78 said:
    the designers video said they was stickers.
    and they are the biggest ass stickers i have ever seen.

madforLEGOkiki180703
    edited January 2016
    Omg. In that case in combination with the insane price this completely kills it for me. I don't mind stickers, don't get me wrong and have no issue to accept them for Kwik-E-Mart or GBHQ e.g. But this one will be a pain to align properly and is going to peel off later no matter what you do. Pass :(
    Patrik78 said:
    Omg. In that case in combination with the insane price this completely kills it for me. I don't mind stickers, don't get me wrong and have no issue to accept them for Kwik-E-Mart or GBHQ e.g. But this one will be a pain to align properly and is going to peel off later no matter what you do. Pass :(
    in the designers video, the designers make this out to be a Selling point, lol
    INDYJONASAmanda1983
    Wow, so how out of touch are the designers from the customers?

I guess that may be their 'spin'  to justify the real reason: Being cheap and with poor quality stickers.

To be honest I do not think I would have an issue if the sticker quality was like it was even 15 years old (maybe even 10 years ago) but it is far from that I believe at this point.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    10 years ago stickers were terrible, might have looked good at the time but now disintegrate when you touch them
    He didn't. But he did he say "It probably is just me, but I would not want my kid playing with an expensive set like that were parts and stuff can get lost or damaged," as if that were the only reason why those sorts of play features would be included. Did YOU miss the very beginning of my post? Because I thought I made it pretty clear which part of his post I was replying to.
    Amanda1983
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Helicarrier did well by having the large tiles for the runway printed. This is a bit of a let down... I understand printing costs and what have you, but a honking big sticker that needs to be lined up on a large part, and next to a second sticker? This is just a recipe for frustration.
    INDYJONASAmanda1983
    edited January 2016
    what are you willing to bet that the two big stickers come on a sheet with only them two stickers on it, so when you mess-up placing it (which you will.) it is only the 2 of them you get when you ask Lego to send you a new set of the two stickers
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Lyichir said:
    He didn't. But he did he say "It probably is just me, but I would not want my kid playing with an expensive set like that were parts and stuff can get lost or damaged," as if that were the only reason why those sorts of play features would be included. Did YOU miss the very beginning of my post? Because I thought I made it pretty clear which part of his post I was replying to.
    I'm still not understanding how @madforLEGO making an anecdotal example about kids, his kid, not playing with a set is somehow linked to him casting judgment against an adult that would like to play with the set as a toy.  Are you saying that by him only saying "kid," he's being short-sighted and insensitive because he's neglecting to account for those grown adults, like yourself apparently, that like playing with the toy features of Lego?  Sure, that's possible, but knowing him for many years on this forum, I'm confident he wasn't doing it intentionally.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,130
    At least with just a big 'H' on the Stickers you won't have to check to hard for spelling mistakes or typos like you do on some of the UCS stickers.
    gmonkey76kiki180703Amanda1983
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ like 'to' hard? ;)
    edited January 2016
    That would be the one.         :)

To be fair I did manage to spell the 'H' right.
    hewmanAmanda1983Kevin_HyattMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    ^ Just a shame that it has the Bat Logo on the landing pad instead of the 'H'
    edited January 2016
    Lyichir said:
    I'm still not understanding how @madforLEGO making an anecdotal example about kids, his kid, not playing with a set is somehow linked to him casting judgment against an adult that would like to play with the set as a toy.  Are you saying that by him only saying "kid," he's being short-sighted and insensitive because he's neglecting to account for those grown adults, like yourself apparently, that like playing with the toy features of Lego?  Sure, that's possible, but knowing him for many years on this forum, I'm confident he wasn't doing it intentionally.
    This. I was just making a remark about how some are calling these playsets, and that they have things like flick missiles, which implies usage for those that are younger (not to take away any adults that want to play with their sets). I just made the comment as to if LEGO is actually assuming people will buy these for their kids. To clear the record I have no children (yet) but If I had a kid they would likely not get such an expensive set to play with (and never said, nor implied anywhere, that adults cannot play with it). Especially if stickers are involved (I remember what I was like with LEGO and stickers in my youth), and such a set is essentially a Collectors set (to me anyway). Sorry if I offended anyone with my non-offensive opinion.
    gmonkey76dougts
    That one is the mother of all stickers then :)
  • ethanjwallethanjwall United StatesMember Posts: 118
    Ah, the mother of all stickers has to be the Maersk Container Ship. 115 STICKERS. Still a cool set, though.
    SumoLegokiki180703
    Ah, the mother of all stickers has to be the Maersk Container Ship. 115 STICKERS. Still a cool set, though.
    oh i remember seeing that set sometime in the 1st 3 months of 2014 and looking at it. i dont know if i had still been in to lego at that time if i have got the set or not.
    as i said before, i never lost the love of the look of lego, but i did lose the love of the build. so i did like to look of that set. and it almost got me to buy it, it was at that time to myself just a little to pricey.
    right now if it was still around i don't know if i have got it or not.
    it a 50/50 set.
    and no i will not pay the rate on the resale market.

Actually I meant those two scary helipad stickers being the mother of all stickers, not the set as a whole ;)
    chrisalddintallblocktookiki180703
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 446
    The Maersk also has a massive "fact" sticker on the Base - across multiple tiles!
  • PowderfingerPowderfinger SwedenMember Posts: 52
    Batcave is $330 at Lego.com here in Sweden. Unbelievable.

• AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    "Our gift from LEGO at NY Toy Fair Event!"

Source: The Brick Show 
    LostInTranslationJohnnyfinlandiachuckpgmonkey76madforLEGOTXLegoguykiki180703Goldchainssnowhitie
    Not surprising to me as, IMO, it is the jewel of the set, maybe only next to the figures of Joker and Catwoman.

I do like the Mr Freeze figure poly, but I'm guessing he will be costly. Especially so if he is only available as a gift from a toy fair and only if you buy a Batcave set.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    It sucks that they have Mr Freeze as a NY Toy Fair exclusive and not included in the set!! bad job by TLG, also would have been nice to have a retro Batgirl and commissioner Gordon.
    jediami65 said:
    It sucks that they have Mr Freeze as a NY Toy Fair exclusive and not included in the set!! bad job by TLG, also would have been nice to have a retro Batgirl and commissioner Gordon.
    That does make me wonder if there will be more 'classic Batman' sets coming out other than the Batcave.. Im guessing no, but you never know with LEGO
    Well the adverts are going out... If you are a VIP you can be the first to buy the set.. whoo hooo... (I would suggest to anyone actually paying retail for this set to wait until VIP double points promo is on). Also I notice that adding to the cart does not add a Mr Freeze poly to the order at this moment either (for what that is worth)

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Batman-Classic-TV-Series-Batcave-76052?RRID=1535473&RMID=VIP_2016_02_Early_Access_SH_PR_NAEN

• gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,591
    Heard Mr. Freeze will be an April promo. At full price I can wait for double points, if I get the set.
    TXLegoguykiki180703AdeelZubair
    jediami65 said:
    And where exactly did you get the idea that it's a NYTF exclusive? Because it didn't say any such thing on the packaging. Chances are it will be distributed in one or more other ways before the year is up.
    TXLegoguykiki180703
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    April calendar says the freeze is the promo.  ;)
    TXLegoguyBrickDancerkiki180703
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    Gooker1 said:
    April calendar says the freeze is the promo.  ;)
    To bad for the UK as you have to spend £50 on 'DC Super Heroes' products only :/

Source http://cache.lego.com/r/stores/-/media/brand retail/stores/calendar/2016/march april/157303 d2c st_march_april2016_newsletter_uk.pdf
    legomentalkiki180703
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 333
    I showed it to my 5 year old and he declared it to be boring. This is from a boy who wears super hero outfits at every opportunity and loves the super hero Lego sets. Still that's saved some cash!

I personally think they should have scrapped the helicopter and put more parts into the actual build. It's lacking the excitement of a modular build for me.
    BACbrixCM4Skiki180703
  • KazJYKazJY Member Posts: 67
    I get home from getting the Batcave with VIP points, and then see that Freeze is the April promo... I should have waited.
  • david325david325 Member Posts: 138
    You shouldn't have waited, you should have just spent more time on brickset :)
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76kiki180703snowhitie
    KazJY said:
    I get home from getting the Batcave with VIP points, and then see that Freeze is the April promo... I should have waited.
    You could always return it and wait for April..  (IMO) kinda of a crappy thing to do but if you really want to get your bang for the buck with a 269.99 USD set I can see someone doing that. Not sure if you get the VIP points back though.
    edited February 2016
    @LostInTranslation
    Really liked the first part of you review on the Bat Cave. As I am of a certain generation that grew up on the show as Saturday morning viewing, the way the walk through of the set was written took me back some years and I actually read the review in the voice of the narrator from the show (including the spinning bat signal in between breaks). Looking forward to the rest of the review.
    mr.pigglesLostInTranslationMrGudzkiki180703snowhitie
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    I want that study. 
    i want that wallpaper brick.
    about 500 of them will do me.
    Kevin_Hyattkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,091
    I personally think they should have scrapped the helicopter and put more parts into the actual build. It's lacking the excitement of a modular build for me.
    All jokes aside, the Helicopter is an iconic part of the '60's show.  If there is one set that ought to have a helicopter and a car, it's this one.

(Where is my Batman Lighthouse and Landspeeder?)

It's a playset, not a modular, so you really can't expect that level of structural detail.  (Much like how the City fire station and police station are completely impractical as structures.) 

Just noticed that there is a Friends lighthouse and a lighthouse in the Scooby-Doo line as well.  Anyone want to take bets on whether we have a Nexo Knights rolling lighthouse next year?
    bandit778Kevin_Hyattkiki180703
    SumoLego said:
    All jokes aside, the Helicopter is an iconic part of the '60's show.  If there is one set that ought to have a helicopter and a car, it's this one.

(Where is my Batman Lighthouse and Landspeeder?)

It's a playset, not a modular, so you really can't expect that level of structural detail.  (Much like how the City fire station and police station are completely impractical as structures.) 

Just noticed that there is a Friends lighthouse and a lighthouse in the Scooby-Doo line as well.  Anyone want to take bets on whether we have a Nexo Knights rolling lighthouse next year?
    are yes the grate 2010's lighthouse debate.
    there have been more lighthouses in lego (even one for Ninjago this year.) that have come out in the 10's then any time before. i think @LostInTranslation was going to do something with all the lighthouses she owns side by side.
  • KazJYKazJY Member Posts: 67
    KazJY said:
    You could always return it and wait for April..  (IMO) kinda of a crappy thing to do but if you really want to get your bang for the buck with a 269.99 USD set I can see someone doing that. Not sure if you get the VIP points back though.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  I know what you mean.  It's not like I won't spend $75 there again, but I know this month's promo is over, and I wasn't excited about next month, so I figured "why not do it now?"  I'll get it one way or another.  :-)