Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

76052 - Batman Classic TV Series, Batcave

Comments

• willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Aren't both Batman and Robin completely unique? My knowledge of super heroes sets is lacking as it's a theme I rarely touch. 

Regardless, doesn't really matter until we see what the market is willing to pay (or what resellers hope the market will pay).
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Also it's worth noting our guessed prices are almost they exact same, as I used CAD and you used USD.
    MattsWhatkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,331
    They are unique, but there was also a Batman and Robin in #10672 that look to be inspired by the 60s series (Batman more so than Robin but then the Robin in #76035 with a different hair piece would make a convincing 60s version) - plus there are already over 20 variants on Batman and I think this will be the 10th variant of Robin.

No doubt the figures will be popular, but personally I think I'd be more interested in Joker, Riddler and Catwoman which are the only ones of those characters to make distinctly  60s versions. I'll keep half an eye on the Bricklink prices of the figures but they will all almost certainly be too pricey for me...hoping that I'll be able to piece together the Batmobile, but ultimately I've already accepted this set as a no go for me.
    madforLEGOSethro3
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited January 2016
    ^^^ they are, but the price of them is limited not by what people are willing to pay, or what some resellers are hoping to get.  At the start it is limited by how much the lowest reseller is happy to let them go for, then all the buyers want to pay that.
    So, assuming it follows the trend of other minifig heavy sets currently on the market, resellers will pitch it at the 'sell the minifigs, break even' price.  I assume that this is also a limiting price as people in the market for more than a couple of the minifigs will just cough up the whole lot knowing it is a better deal than paying full price and only getting the figs.
    A better comparison than the tumbler (due to the low number of minifigs) might be jokerland, Arkham Asylum, or the orginal batcave.  The minifigs each seem to sell for around £6-9 around here, then creep up as the set price goes up after retirement.  This figure sits almost exactly at the 'sell the minifigs, break even price'.  I assume that some sellers can pick the set up discounted or are happy to get a load of free bricks and some VIP points for the little bit of work they have to do.
    The interesting bit for this set, is the fact that some of the minifigs are much more desirable than others, but as completionists will prop up the sale of the less deirable minifigs, I can't imagine a great deal of cost difference between them provided they all remain exclusive.  At least on bricklink that is, I would imagine we will see sets of the Bats and Robin both in and out of their gear, going for silly money on ebay to people who are a little less aware of the 'process' of parting out.

Edit:  I wrote all this then others has replied... if the prices were the same I apologise for the confusion.  I normally work in £ anyway so I was trying my best ;)
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    i see it this way:
    this is a set to keep misb! feeling the nostalgia. but not quite into the buildings. it looks unfinished. 

digging alfred, the batmobil and the printed 1x4 bricks.
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 592
    I've been thinking over this set and I would really like to get it. Particularly if I can get it in Germany so it works out cheaper than the insane UK Price point.

However when I break the set down as to what I love about it... the biggest draw for me is the Bat pole transition set up. Then it's the car and then it's the mini figures. And to be honest as much as I love the Car and Mini figures they don't exactly fit in with the more modern Batman sets I've already got.

So this is likely to be a display piece on a wall and I'm not sure I can justify that yet. Especially as I've got a Detective Office still to build at home and I want to get the Brick Bank set and there's Ghostbusters HQ looking at me and tempting me.

That Pole system is currently only in GBHQ and this set is that right?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,331
    @DougTemplar - the pole is also in #60110 although i think it's yellow rather than gold. I suspect it will be fairly staple in future fire stations and likely show up in a lot of superhero type sets (I think had Jokerland come out this year it would have been used in that set)
    DougTemplar
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,471
    ^I think the new City fire station has the poles as well.
  • deephorsedeephorse West Yorkshire, U.K.Member Posts: 83
    MattsWhat said:
    i would pay £5 for the minifig's 
    This is not going to happen. 

Indeed.  Many people are asking more than that for First Order troopers and they are hardly rare.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I love the way this thread has attitude about this set moved and shifted.   In the beginning most of the posts were loving this set and thinking it's the greatest ever (or least the greatest Batman set ever).  Now most of the posts are about how it's too expensive and how poorly executed things are. 
    That's probably because it has turned out to be too expensive and poorly executed.
    brumeytamamahmbandit778dougtsAdeelZubairkiki180703
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    I love the way this thread has attitude about this set moved and shifted.   In the beginning most of the posts were loving this set and thinking it's the greatest ever (or least the greatest Batman set ever).  Now most of the posts are about how it's too expensive and how poorly executed things are. 

I, personally, only think the first part. That it's too expensive. I don't think it's poorly executed. The random wall of the manor is odd from the outside as it's just a wall with no entry, etc., but overall I really do like the set. I just don't like $270. It's $80 less than the GB HQ and about 2,000 pieces less. On the surface, $270 isn't too out of line for 2,500 pieces, that many minifigures, and the license. But GB HQ (a set I won't be buying) looks like a value in comparison.

I also look at Arkham Asylum, which was $160, and I would take that all day over this. Personal opinion is they should have gone one of two other ways with this. Knock 500 pieces off and sell it for $200. Or add 1,500 or so, give some substantial surrounding barriers or areas to the piece and just make it $350. No, I don't want another $350 set, but where it is now is some odd middle ground that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

All that said, people will buy it. People always do. So talk of boycotting...HA, good luck.

Amanda1983
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Yes, once its in the stores people will no doubt start saying it looks better in the flesh and LEGO'll sell them.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    I

I, personally, only think the first part. That it's too expensive. I don't think it's poorly executed. The random wall of the manor is odd from the outside as it's just a wall with no entry, etc., but overall I really do like the set. I just don't like $270. It's $80 less than the GB HQ and about 2,000 pieces less. On the surface, $270 isn't too out of line for 2,500 pieces, that many minifigures, and the license. But GB HQ (a set I won't be buying) looks like a value in comparison.

I also look at Arkham Asylum, which was $160, and I would take that all day over this. Personal opinion is they should have gone one of two other ways with this. Knock 500 pieces off and sell it for $200. Or add 1,500 or so, give some substantial surrounding barriers or areas to the piece and just make it $350. No, I don't want another $350 set, but where it is now is some odd middle ground that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

All that said, people will buy it. People always do. So talk of boycotting...HA, good luck.

Agreed.  If the price were lower, I think far, far fewer people would be hating on the set.  For the price I think it's poorly executed, considering what $270 could get us in other sets.  It's really in a weird price area; more than $200 as some bigger sets have been lately, but less than the $300+ other big sets have been.  People would complain less about how it's built if the price were less.  I don't think people generally hate it, they just can't like it at the price.
    brumeymadforLEGOBumblepantskiki180703Amanda1983
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2016
    Of course price and execution are related.  If it were cheaper, things could be forgiven.  It's not cheaper though, and Lego has decided that sub-premium sets should command a premium price.  The line between "toy" and "model" used to be clearer, delineated by price (being expensive used to help define model over toy).  It's not so clear now.  Some sets I could, as an adult, feel comfortable letting other adults know I own personally (and not my kids).  This set is not one of them.
    MattsWhatdougtsbandit778AdeelZubairThanos75kiki180703
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    The price has changed it from a Day 1 purchase to a 2x VIP or promo with purchase for me. No way I pass on this set even though I've never seen an episode of the show.

I am speculating that Batman and Joker will demand the highest prices ($20/ea) with Penguin and Dick Grayson being the least desirable ($10). The Batmobile alone is worth at least $50 and the Batcopter $20. The wallpaper bricks could be in demand and fetch $1 (x18). The rest is just dark tan cave material that isn't worth much. Realistically I see the figure and Batmobile going for more in the secondary market (i.e. Bundle Batman, Robin, and Batmobile for $100+).
    gmonkey76kiki180703
    vwong19 said:
     (i.e. Bundle Batman, Robin, and Batmobile for $100+).

no way.  $80 max
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,078
    I have no doubt that the SW IP is the most expensive.  
    madforLEGOgmonkey76kiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,784
    edited January 2016

Yes, once its in the stores people will no doubt start saying it looks better in the flesh and LEGO'll sell them.
    I think there is the more realistic reaction of saying 'Ohh that is cool, but I'm not buying it if it is <insert local currency here>' I think at the price being quoted that even hardcore fans of Batman merchandise are going to balk at 269.99 USD, at least more than people are expecting. Unfortunately this also means that those parting it out are likely going to charge dearly for the figures and specifically the Batmobile (unless these things go on discount/sale a lot, which is unlikely in the US)
    vwong19 said:
    The price has changed it from a Day 1 purchase to a 2x VIP or promo with purchase for me. No way I pass on this set even though I've never seen an episode of the show.

I am speculating that Batman and Joker will demand the highest prices ($20/ea) with Penguin and Dick Grayson being the least desirable ($10). The Batmobile alone is worth at least $50 and the Batcopter $20. The wallpaper bricks could be in demand and fetch $1 (x18). The rest is just dark tan cave material that isn't worth much. Realistically I see the figure and Batmobile going for more in the secondary market (i.e. Bundle Batman, Robin, and Batmobile for $100+).
    I think you are underestimating the prices for splitting it up. At 269.99 USD prices will be higher for pieces out of it, otherwise it is not worth it for people to break up the set IMO. Guessing Batmobile alone will be about 100 USD as it is likely the most desirable 'piece' in the set. Now maybe if this set is discounted in other countries, parts may be cheaper, but in the US prices will likely be higher than what people are really hoping for IMO

edited January 2016

Guessing Batmobile alone will be about 100 USD as it is likely the most desirable 'piece' in the set.

No way it will hit this unless it is made from unique bricks and even then I doubt it.  It looks like what, maybe, 300 pieces - that is not going to run $100 to bricklink it so it won't be able to command a price like that.  I will say again what I said earlier, the price will be limited by people knowing they can purchase the whole set at $270.  $100 batmobile and $30 minifigs just doesn't add up.  If they are those prices selling the rest would net a huge profit, then everyone will be buying them to part it out, supply will go up and price will drop.

The one positive about sets like this is that there will be loads of people parting them out, which will mean an influx of very cheap parts onto bricklink - never a bad thing even if they aren't the most useful colour in the world.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,078
    I would consider this set to be a complete outlier in the grand scheme of Lego pricing.

I would also consider the pricing on TFA sets also a bit unusual.  I expect that the second wave should be more modestly priced.
    ryjaykiki180703
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 592
    Shib said:
    @DougTemplar - the pole is also in #60110 although i think it's yellow rather than gold. I suspect it will be fairly staple in future fire stations and likely show up in a lot of superhero type sets (I think had Jokerland come out this year it would have been used in that set)
    Well that sort of helps on the purchase decision as I don't NEED the set.

If course I WANT it... but a holiday to Florida to pay for is more important.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,129
    edited January 2016
    I should imagine that quite a few people will bricklink the batmobile and even the batcopter but after watching the designer video I think that the printed 1x1 wheel hubs on the car and the bat copter windshield will be the expensive parts. As far as am aware (although not 100% sure) that neither part has been in any other set so presume that they will be the hardest parts to get hold of.
    Especially if being licenced parts they are taken out of the B & P selection.
    gmonkey76kiki180703
    edited January 2016
    I would love it if the Batmobile is well under 100 USD (as I want one). However, I have a feeling people will be selling it at 100 USD because it is a 60's Batmobile and the set it comes from is 269.99 USD where it can also be argued it is the jewel of the set.
    Those breaking up the set will want to make money back; not 'lose' it. I cannot see that occurring with figures at mostly 10, maybe a couple at 20 and a Batmobile for 50 USD. IMO the rest of the items in the set sure are not going to make up the difference, especially if there are those buying the set just for the figures and are flipping the other stuff to break even, or vice versa.

Sure people can BL it, but people assume that everyone just 'B-links' items. Many likely want the vehicle and do not want to take time to b-link it. I'm also guessing the batmobile has parts with either printed, or sticker-ed parts. Many B-linked items do typically go for less than their 'legit' counterpart. However, people still buy the real deal for dear, and still will overpay for a b-linked version for that matter (see batpod.. 'limited release' or not, I do not think the cost of the parts total 200-250 USD or people would likely not be making money selling these on eBay for that).

As for the apparent assumption that everyone can simply say 'Well if the batmobile will cost me 100USD and figures will cost 'x', I'll just buy the 269.99 USD set'. Well not everyone can say that. Last I checked, 270 USD is a lot of money, which I think is why people will be wanting just the Batmobile and still would likely pay more than 50 USD for it. Even 100 USD may be easier to justify to a spouse or significant other.

Maybe the Batmobile would need to come with Batman and Robin to be 100 USD, and without the figures be more around 75 USD but I still think it will be closer to 100 than 50. I guess we will find out when people start breaking up the set. (and no I will not be one of those trying to break up the set to make money)

A.Brickovsky
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,474
    do most sellers want to break even? if you keep the figs, or the parts for mocing, it's basically wanting to keep your cake and eat it.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I think some sellers should buy these and then part them our ridiculously low. Just to be "nice." What do ya say??
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    *sucks teeth* 

I feel complicated about this. When I read the post on the front page I got really excited and was thinking, yes, I need to find a way to get this for my partner (huge Batman fan)! And then other people's comments dampened my ardour a bit by echoing little things I had noticed and shrugged off, mostly about the way it feels visually off-balance - not something I think TLG could've helped unless they'd made the mansion bigger and made the whole thing even more expensive, but it's not going to be one of those sets where you get the "oomph" factor of being able to put it on your coffee table and have visitors go, "Whoa! Nice Millennium Falcon/castle!" 

I'm starting to come down on the side of the people who said they'd have preferred it as multiple sets - the Batmobile on its own is very appealing, for instance, or the office with the hidden Batpoles...
    MrJ_NYkiki180703
    bandit778 said:
    I should imagine that quite a few people will bricklink the batmobile and even the batcopter but after watching the designer video I think that the printed 1x1 wheel hubs on the car and the bat copter windshield will be the expensive parts. As far as am aware (although not 100% sure) that neither part has been in any other set so presume that they will be the hardest parts to get hold of.
    Especially if being licenced parts they are taken out of the B & P selection.

If the hubs are a 1x1 tile then everyone should get a spare. Guess the price could creep up but if that's the only part I can't see it being too bad. Also, they may well not count as licensed, one to keep an eye out for!
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 327
    I personally think one set is better than 3-4 separate sets. The cost to package them separately should cost more. And then the fact that they would have to put a batman in every set would add more to the cost. I'm fine with just one set and one batman.

Unless they gave me a big Wayne manor and big bat cave that can be linked up like Jabas palace and the Rancor pit. 

I I agree that I will wait until the mr. Freeze character is given away before I buy. Double points would be nice also. 
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 172
    I think its a lot of fun.  Its more of a 'playset' which goes hand in hand with the nostalgia.  I think its extremely unrealistic to expect a huge Wayne Manor and all the Batcave stuff, and all the vehicles, and all the minifigs....

So if you view it as a 'Nostalgic Playset' with amazing Mini-figures & awesome vehicles....

I have a feeling at the end of the day this set will sell very well.  But thats my 2 cents, or $270, or whatever I'll be spending for at least one!
    catwranglerkiki180703Amanda1983
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I'm neither a fan of Ghostbusters nor classic Batman so neither of these sets appeals to me on a thematic level. However, I'd purchase the Ghostbusters headquarters before this. At least that is a complete (albeit monolithic) building with some fun interiors. This looks like a random mish-mash of skeletons. Only the office vignette appeals to me out of this. Too bad it cannot be purchased separately.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    the more i look at this set, the more i see 3 or 4, smaller set's boxed in one big set.

like how #60097 look to be made up of what could sell as 6 set's.
    this is the same.

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    edited January 2016
    Outside of the figures I don't see the appeal of this set. Reminds me of some of the later Lotr sets that was just a random section of wall with some minor function.  As others have mentioned, the price is ridiculous for what is offered in my opinion.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    ok bit random, but
    i just looked at a review of #76035 Jokerland for the 1st time.
    looks good,
    so i think if i was going to get any batman set it would be Jokerland
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I just built Jokerland last week and the first thought that entered my mind upon completion "Decent as a playset, but definitely not worth $120 RRP." And only after that did I see pics of this 66' Batcave and my thought was "This makes Jokerland look decent value in comparison".

I plan on pulling out the Funhouse Escape and Penguin Face-off to add to it. But even then, I don't think the complete set-up does it for me. Realizing this style of hodge-podge mish-mashing of playsets is just not my thing. Especially considering its combined $173 RRP. I'd be much happier building a single Modular or UCS Slave-1/TIE/X-wing for about the same price.
    tallblocktooMrJ_NYBumblepantskiki180703Amanda1983
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,429
    I have a feeling Lego keeps reading about 10 cents per part being a good value and priced this set accordingly. They aren't stupid.
    catwranglerkiki180703
    that's probably why there are studs shooters everywhere. more studs = more pieces.
    catwranglerTheLoneTensorkiki180703Amanda1983
    I have a feeling Lego keeps reading about 10 cents per part being a good value and priced this set accordingly. They aren't stupid.

Fauch said:
    that's probably why there are studs shooters everywhere. more studs = more pieces.
    Yeah, I'm not sure who keeps subscribing to that rule as with all of the 1x1 'whatevers' in many sets it makes no sense to me to talk about a set 'costing x per part' being a good value, not if the set is made up primarily of 1x1 bricks, plates, specialty plates and 1x2' brick.
    Amanda1983
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,429
    ^ 10 cents per part is what people latched on to and it makes sense that Lego would shoot for that. 
    someone parting out the dark tan bricks ?

Fauch said:
    Yeah, I'm not sure who keeps subscribing to that rule as with all of the 1x1 'whatevers' in many sets it makes no sense to me to talk about a set 'costing x per part' being a good value, not if the set is made up primarily of 1x1 bricks, plates, specialty plates and 1x2' brick.
    a good example I have would be kingdom joust. 1575 pieces for 120€. supposed to be a great deal. though pieces are small, in the end you have what you get in a 1200 pieces build. price is still not bad though.

another example is vladek's dark fortress, under 1000 pieces for 100€. decent price per piece. but this time pieces are huge, it's big like a 150-200€ set.
    Bumblepantsbrumeykiki180703
    Fauch said:

Fauch said:
    a good example I have would be kingdom joust. 1575 pieces for 120€. supposed to be a great deal. though pieces are small, in the end you have what you get in a 1200 pieces build. price is still not bad though.

another example is vladek's dark fortress, under 1000 pieces for 100€. decent price per piece. but this time pieces are huge, it's big like a 150-200€ set.
    The funny thing about Vladek's Dark Fortress is that, in the US, they could not give those away (A retailer here had them for 50-55 USD and still could not get rid of them).

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Adzbadboy said:
    The Minifigures are outstanding besides the exclusion of Mr. Freeze
    Mr. Freeze wasn't often featured in the series. Here are the villains featured in five or more episodes:

The Penguin (20)
    The Joker (19)
    Catwoman (16)
    The Riddler (11)
    King Tut (8)
    Mr. Freeze (6)
    Egghead (5)
    Queen of Diamonds (5)

I watched the re-runs as a kid and mostly remember the main four, King Tut, and Egghead.
    gmonkey76AdeelZubairchuckpkiki180703Amanda1983
  • INDYJONASINDYJONAS ThailandMember Posts: 33
    As people are disappointed with the displayablity and the corresponding value of the new batcave set as a whole, the major issue of this set is that it does not fit appropriately into a MOC, CITY or modular layout. In comparison the GB HQ can achieve this better although with compromises.

In my opinion, Batcopter, Batgadgets, Batcycle and Batcave should have been sacrificed to concentrate to build up a decently sized Wayne Manor with  4 walls, opening mechanism and a batmobile.

Or maybe then it would look more or less like the IDEAS piched set?
    catwranglerkiki180703
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    277 EUR in our country with current CZK/EUR exchange rate, meh. I like the set, it is quite unique looking, however as mentioned above, it does not fit anywhere. And way too much of dark tan bricks for my taste. I wouldn't hesitate to go for it at ~200 EUR with double VIP, but this price totally kills it for me.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,590
    In most every Batman movie/TV show Wanye Manor is out in the country up on a hill or mountain. I could be wrong but having a Batcave under a city street is just asking for it to get discovered.
    brumey
    edited January 2016

my greatest concern about this set...

as awesome as these playfeatures are. i would much more prefer if it was visually a bit more pleasing to my eyes. not calling it ugly. they sacrficed aestethical appearance for play features maybe a bit to much.

i was hoping for another "taj mahal" like set when first hearing about this! given that the spooky houses and arkham asylum are really good looking sets!
    catwranglerMynattkiki180703
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    brumey said:
    given that the spooky houses and arkham asylum are really good looking sets!
    When I think Wayne Manor + LEGO, Haunted House immediately comes to mind. Getting a room, some wall, and some gimmicks would make me feel short-changed.
    legomental
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,471
    The funny thing about Vladek's Dark Fortress is that, in the US, they could not give those away (A retailer here had them for 50-55 USD and still could not get rid of them).

Those on sale for $25 got me back into Lego. Figured at that price, why not? And now I am a hopeless addict.
    gmonkey76madforLEGOkiki180703Amanda1983
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^First hit's always free or cheap.
    brumeybandit778chuckpkiki180703Pitfall69Amanda1983
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 864
    Fauch said:

Fauch said:

Technically speaking, the Vladek's Dark Fortress example is probably a great comparison for part of why this set is so expensive. People can whine about stud shooters all they like, but look at what else this set includes:

-8 16x16 plates
    -1 8x16 plate
    -2 8x16 tiles
    -2 6x16 tiles with studs on the edge
    -12 of the large system/technic columns
    -4 4x10x6 BURPs

That's a LOT of large parts, which cost substantially more than smaller bricks and plates would. And it's quite different from sets like the Ghostbusters Firehouse, which mostly use a larger quantity of smaller bricks to achieve their massive scale. So it should be no surprise that this set has a less generous price-per-piece than many comparable sets.
    catwranglerpharmjodkiki180703Pitfall69brickupdate