Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

76052 - Batman Classic TV Series, Batcave

Comments

• DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 592
    Ah... I think I'll be getting this but I also think I'll be getting it in Germany if the price is €250 and £230!
    Yes, almost £50 more in the UK than Germany. Going to Berlin in March, flights were only £60 
    How many can you fit in your suitcase? :)
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 635
    i may try to get the batmobile of bricklink or ebay
    mldj77
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,784
    dragon114 said:
    i may try to get the batmobile of bricklink or ebay
    My guess is that anyone selling the Batmobile separately will be trying to get around 100 USD for them considering the price of the set (almost better buying the set then). BLinking may be a cheaper option as long as there are no specific pieces only in this set for the car, as Im guessing piecing together the Batmobile may be cheaper than 100 USD.
    Pitfall69
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,568
    @madforLego -  am I missing something? Amazon UK don't sell D2C sets, unless it's via a marketplace seller.  

It's expensive but I want this set! 
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,590
    Is that a short cape on Robin?  I am hoping the standard length yellow capes become more available.

Actually short cape is show correct
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 824
    Apart from the Batmobile, I don't really care for the set. I'll might try to buy parts to build that.

£230 seems overpriced for the UK. The Euro price seems more reasonable upon conversion.
    iso3200kiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,590
    Depending on how to UCS Hoth looks this is now number two on my list of sets when the next double points happen.
    edited January 2016
    @madforLego -  am I missing something? Amazon UK don't sell D2C sets, unless it's via a marketplace seller.  

It's expensive but I want this set! 
    Was not sure, was hoping though, shame that they do not.
    I want the set, but that 269.99 USD is really making me pause.
    TXLegoguykiki180703
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
    Another glamour set mainly focused for minifigures' sake. I mean, the Batcave section would be not so bad, even in comparison with the more refined 7783 from 2006, but the Manor section is absolutely unsubstancial. At least they could have done a complete facade like for the Arkham Asylum, so that buying two sets would have give you the possibility to close the building. But this is not either a full facade, neither a half facade, it's just a single, pokey, cramped wall, arranged with some large tile pieces organized vertically. It seems at Lego cannot avoid to put that beam everywhere since they introduced it. Definitely too much simplified building techniques for such a set.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    gmonkey76 said:
    Is that a short cape on Robin?  I am hoping the standard length yellow capes become more available.

Actually short cape is show correct
    I still like the look of the standard length cape.
    gmonkey76kiki180703
  • INDYJONASINDYJONAS ThailandMember Posts: 33
    Designer video for those who haven't seen it:
    TXLegoguychuckpBuriedinBrickskiki180703
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I really wish they had just made a Batmobile with Batman and Robin at $40-$50.
    MattsWhat said:
    What on earth is this big wall made of?  Not sure I like the exposed dimple thing (the technic holes I can live with)
    Are you referring to these pieces?
    tallblocktooBuriedinBricksMattsWhatkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,331
    Welp, for $270 I am out. I haven't been a huge critic of pricing in the past but the rate at which they are escalating now seems out of control.
    Same, generally I just appreciate that I can't have everything and stay content with what I have, however this set really doesn't have the impact for that price, it looks like several sets thrown together. The very least the could have done is include enough baseplate/large plates to allow all the parts including the little consoles to be put together as a large cave layout
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    The only thing appealing to me is the Batmobile and after seeing the rest of the set I'm over it.I was really hoping this was going to be an awesome set.It seems more like a slightly glorified version of 6860
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 446
    ^^ I think it has technic pins to clip the sections together?
    But it also has stickers.... including massive (=difficult to apply) ones for the helipad.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited January 2016
    The set as a whole does not warrant $270, not when compared to both Arkham Asylums, both Batcaves, and the Jokerland at less than half it's price. I'm a Bat-fanatic and will likely get this regardless, but not very excited to build it other than the Batmobile. The Batcycle is not accurate to the real thing either, not a single whisper of white color like it should have. The Batcopter is good enough.

As for the Penguin minifig, it's actually considered a new one. Though it's the same head and torso as the previous one, the black & purple color of Hat and Legs were swapped. And Alfred's face print looks perfect to create a Stan Lee purist custom fig using Dick's red sweater torso with tan/dark tan legs.
    chuckpkiki180703Amanda1983
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 509
    Super glad to be wrong about the price.  Now that I can see what's going on with the Wayne Manor I can see why I was thinking it had more pieces.  Little disappointed it's all SNOT, but it works.  I love the wall paper bricks.  I hope they use more of these in the future. 

I'm still not that exited about this set, it's 60s Batman.  Possible the worst on screen version of Batman there is.  I haven't seen the 40s serials or 1997's Batman & Robin, all of which are considered awful, to compare.  I can almost guarantee you nobody wants stuff based on the 40s serials or Batman & Robin. And yet this 60s garbage some how remains popular.   Ok that's enough ripping on the show from me, for now.

We'll see whether I get this set or not.  $270 is a lot for something that I'm basically not a fan of.
  • glosminifigfanglosminifigfan United KingdomMember Posts: 94
    I would have bought the batmobile (and minifigs ideally) on its own, but there is no way I can justify that price for the full set, and would take up too much room!
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    edited January 2016
    It seems more like a investment to me. I couldn't justify spending £220 on it just to display it
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,474
    46x56x20 cm, this is really big actually. got to admit TLG has some guts though to make a set based on this specific show, and at that price point.
    SumoLego
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,656
    The design and execution of the set is pretty much the best representation of a 'cave' they could have possibly done, and better than most MOC's from what I recall, it has a pleasing artistic style to it. I have no complains on any of the design aspects of the model besides two issues: the exposed '4613196 - Plate 16X16' on the towering area of the playset. Additionally #6860 - The Batcave designed by Marcos Bessa had a much better transformation function between the alter-ego and heroes, where this one lacks the 'transformation but succeeds on the spinning feature with the use of the new 'firehouse' pole.

The Minifigures are outstanding besides the exclusion of Mr. Freeze (which I have heard is coming in a ploybag but it's odd it's not included) and I still don't know why LEGO is lacking with their printing on dark Minifigure heads. I dislike the number of stickers especially the two large 8x16 ones. Those printed 1x4 bricks look out of place with the LEGO System and their simplistic style.

My main critique of the entire set is the the price of the set compared to it's 'size.' this set in no way shape or form looks like a £229.99 set with 2,526 pieces, more like £149.99 set. Nor does it look appealing enough to spend the RRP, even though I mentioned it's appealing aesthetics; just not enough. I guess the price of the set could have been driven up given this is the only set based on the 1966 TV series and it had to include all the new prints and other graphics like many other one off sets.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,013
    at a price point of £229.99 for 2500 parts.
    NO!
    this is about £60 to £80 over priced
    if lego had to pay that high fore the IP the TLG Got Robbed blind.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,429
    The office itself would me a cool set. The batmobile another. The batcopter and landing pad another. The batcave I'm not that impressed with. No way should this set be $270.
    brickupdate
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited January 2016
    ....And Alfred's face print looks perfect to create a Stan Lee purist custom fig using Dick's red sweater torso with tan/dark tan legs.
    Nice call on the Stan Lee custom! Alfred's glasses are different but still close enough to work. Definitely worth picking up an extra Alfred on Bricklink to make a Stan Lee.

BrickDancerkiki180703AdeelZubairbrickupdateAmanda1983
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,901
    chuckp said:
    Wow, if the report that @CM4S shared of 2526 pieces at $270 is true, this seems to be an interesting direction that LEGO is extending into (esp when paired with Ghostbusters). Not just small one-off sets of licensed themes (Big Bang, Doctor Who, etc), but can extend to ONE ULTIMATE SET from every big license out there. 

A $300 Goonies set.
    A $300 1960s The Prisoner set.
    A $300 Casablanca set.
    A $300 Wizard of Oz set.
    A $300 Sanford & Son set. 
    A $300 Dark Crystal set.
    A $300 Harold & Maude set.
    A $300...

Forget about saving for my kid's college degree, I have to start saving for all these mega-sets LEGO is bound to come out with!
    A $300 Sanford & Son set? Sold! Where and when can I buy it? :)
    They already have one.

chuckpgmonkey76kiki180703Pitfall69Rainstorm26SumoLegobrickupdateexciter1
    it sad to say but at this ones price point. this is going to be one of them sets that skyrockets when lego stop making it. as there will be way less copy's of it out there to buy.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,569
    The price and size of the set make sense to me because this year is the 50th anniversary of the television show. I expect to see a lot of merchandise from all sorts of vendors besides LEGO. The TV series is finally available on DVD and bluRay, and an animated movie based on the '66 TV show is to be released this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the original movie shows up in theaters this year.
    Amanda1983
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    prevere said:
    chuckp said:
    A $300 Sanford & Son set? Sold! Where and when can I buy it? :)
    They already have one.

Ha! Watto did have a little facial scruff like Redd Foxx and I'm pretty sure I heard him call Anakin "dummy" in at least on scene, so maybe?
    SumoLego
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 668
    I enjoy the 60's Batman series, but I only would have considered buying this if it was around the same size as the last Arkham set... or smaller. Echoing the surprise some have expressed that they'd go this big, though I guess the same could be said for Ghostbusters.
    Adzbadboy said:
    The design and execution of the set is pretty much the best representation of a 'cave' they could have possibly done, and better than most MOC's from what I recall, it has a pleasing artistic style to it.
    only for the middle part I would say. moreover the 2 other parts are quite insubstantial, one is basically nothing with a helipad on top and the other one takes massive amount of space for just 2 poles.
    Fauch said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    The design and execution of the set is pretty much the best representation of a 'cave' they could have possibly done, and better than most MOC's from what I recall, it has a pleasing artistic style to it.
    only for the middle part I would say. moreover the 2 other parts are quite insubstantial, one is basically nothing with a helipad on top and the other one takes massive amount of space for just 2 poles.
    2 poll's and a wallpaper.
    just talking about the cave, not the manor
    the back wall of the cave backside is the outside wall of the Manor.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366

The manor may be the most disappointing thing for me. Aside from the price point. This is going to sound weird because I may contradict myself, but it has a cool design and looks good both inside and out...to a point...

...but I can't get over the fact that the outside is a part of a wall. Not like an entry way or anything. Just a wall. A piece of an ordinary wall.

This may be the first set in a long time that I actually like a great deal of but may be talking myself out of buying. That usually only happens with sets I'm on the fence with. But with this one, I like it, but am leaning toward passing.

• bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,129
    I must admit that I am of the same view about the price on this, when I first saw the pictures a wave of fuzzy nostalgia washed over me and I really wanted the set. I still think that the set is nice, but for that amount of money it could be better. Also, at that price point it is definitely geared towards AFOL's (or children with extreme expendable income) so why ruin the lines of the Batmobile with stud shooters which are put in sets as a play feature. I would have tried very hard to persuade the wife that this was a must buy if it was more 'display' rather than play but I don't think I will be able to justify that amount of money for what is plainly a play set.
    BumblepantsAdeelZubairchrisalddinkiki180703brickupdateTheLoneTensor
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    It's personal preference but the one thing pretty much guaranteed to get a "no" from me is when a flagship set is too "bitty". This is way too bitty so I'll be giving it a miss. To my mind it compares very poorly to #10937.
    Yodaliciouskiki180703
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 206
    It's a real shame but I'd rather get Arkham Asylum for a similar price than this.
    Yodaliciouskiki180703AdeelZubair
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    Love the figs, but the set does nothing for me.

If all those stickers were prints, I'd be all over it!
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 985
    Said so many times already: like the set but out of my budget.

Sorry, Lego (do you think anyone who represents Lego's marketing department frequents this forum?!)

I might as well resign this one to the "one that got away" thread now.
    wardm
    i would love to see the price part breakdown of this set.
    so we can see what is jacking up the price.
    could it be that wallpaper?
    the 1x4 print?
    i may order that brick from bricks and pieces
    but i am not going to pay the RRP for this set, if it go's on sale at any point. then yes i try to get it but it have to be a good sale price to.
    the 1x4 print?
    but i am not going to pay the RRP for this set, if it go's on sale at any point. then yes i try to get it but it have to be a good sale price to.
    I think I know what is jacking up the price: LEGO wanting more money and seeing where the fans will draw the line when it comes to nostalgia. Otherwise they are trying to say that licensing is really taking up like 1/3 of the cost to make the set? I find that pretty unbelievable. There is really no one piece in this set where you could claim that, unless they are trying to claim that all of the figures being cast and made are the reason, which I find hard to believe as well. Unless the cost of large stickers just went up, cause those sure appear to NOT be printed parts.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    What is up with all the complaints about the "jacked up price"? It´s a licensed set with like 10cent/piece and contains all exclusive 9 Minifigures! See the Tumbler for example had below 1900 pieces and came with 2 Minifigures and it was 200€ so why is everybody surprised about the price?!
    LusiferSam
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    People are surprised because it doesn't look like a $270 set. You look at a modular, you can usually see where the pieces went. In this, it doesn't seem to be obvious.

I'm also not surprised since I know 60s Batman licensing was difficult to release things a while ago.
    the 1x4 print?
    I think I know what is jacking up the price: LEGO wanting more money and seeing where the fans will draw the line when it comes to nostalgia. Otherwise they are trying to say that licensing is really taking up like 1/3 of the cost to make the set? I find that pretty unbelievable. There is really no one piece in this set where you could claim that, unless they are trying to claim that all of the figures being cast and made are the reason, which I find hard to believe as well. Unless the cost of large stickers just went up, cause those sure appear to NOT be printed parts.
    if this is lego testing us to see what we will pay, then we need to do a boy cot of this item.
    it is not on.
    lego is pricey enough as it is now we don't need lego getting greedy.
    i think on this one the AFOL member need to try to get this messages back to TLG.
    we may pay got High priced set like Ghostbusters firehouse HQ, but not for a set that seem to be an out there price point.

(looks at price per-part) really? it's only 9.1p / 10.6c (so what is the Ghostbuster HQ then?
    5.9p / 7.6c ) ok so now i going to have to get a 2nd HQ fore parts.
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,046
    Wow, there's still a BIG price difference between Canada and UK! It's £229.99 in the UK which is $459.70CAD and our price is $329.99CAD. It's a difference of more than $100CAD!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    If we weren't being shafted on the exchange rate it wouldn'seem too bad £165 in Canada, £188 in Germany and £230 in the UK.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    the 1x4 print?
    if this is lego testing us to see what we will pay, then we need to do a boy cot of this item.
    it is not on.
    lego is pricey enough as it is now we don't need lego getting greedy.
    i think on this one the AFOL member need to try to get this messages back to TLG.
    we may pay got High priced set like Ghostbusters firehouse HQ, but not for a set that seem to be an out there price point.

(looks at price per-part) really? it's only 9.1p / 10.6c (so what is the Ghostbuster HQ then?
    5.9p / 7.6c ) ok so now i going to have to get a 2nd HQ fore parts.
    I feel like I am reading a post from Bizzaro. 

Nobody is going to boycott. If you think it is too expensive; dont buy it. This is a must have set for me as I grew up watching this on TV. I don't think anyone likes the prices of ANY IP driven set, but if you want it bad enough, you will pay for it.

Adam West as an offical LEGO minifigure; I must have...

brickupdate