Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do you still get on the floor to build?

2»

Comments

• SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 588
    CCC said:
    SirBen said:
    Yes, using a tablecloth .... deliniate the 'Do not walk" area.
    Opposite to us. My kids seem to lay in the lego pile. The spread is so much it's the only way to get parts from the middle of the pile.
    Yes, the kids will lay in the pile of their Lego, but when I'm working on a build they know they know to keep off. When we're playing with a mixture of sets it's somewhere inbetween with the tablecloth marking the Danger Zone. Then it's more to simplify clean-up time to protect innocent feet later.
    kiki180703tallblocktoo
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 588
    SirBen said:
    Yes, using a tablecloth to keep pieces from going missing in the carpet and the deliniate the 'Do not walk" area.
    lol.
    i love how all the people who build lego have big rooms. with big floors to sit down on and spread out there lego.
    Nope, just a 10'x16' living room with a 4'x6' clear space in the middle of the room to claim when I feel like sitting down and building there.
    kiki180703
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 3,022
    @SirBen
    living room has the biggest bit of floor to build on and yet the space is 100CM by 85CM of that 50CM or so of the 85CM is the main walkway of the room to get from 1 side to the other. btw i only know CM to tell how big something is.

ok, now on to next subject,
    most of the time in the house i have no shoe's on.
    there for, i have got very good at light foot walking.
    if i feel anything under my foot, i step back and have a look.
    i never stamp my feet.
    it is really only the Brick's you have to watch out for, a 1x2 or 2x2 brick will be a killer on your feet.  a 2x4 brick if you don't see that as you move. it is time to get an eye test. :) well unless it is a black brick on a black carpet, then it just your bad luck.

kiki180703
  • RebelegoRebelego Georgia, USAMember Posts: 171
    I build on a craftsman work stand/table.  Perfect height for me. But, no matter where I build (Table, work stand, floor) it all hurts my back.
  • JELJ1SJELJ1S Member Posts: 94

@masterx244 I use 1:1 bags to trays.  As they become increasingly empty I combine them to fewer and fewer bins.  This makes clean up fast when I need to stop building for any reason.

@Oldfan Using the construction crew makes it go much faster!

• masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    @JELJ1S same with the mergeing for me but the merge only happens with similar sized parts so no "tiny parts bag"-box into one with the large parts
    JELJ1S
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,304
    In my old flat, I shared a room with my bf (obvs) but it was our only room.  It was just big enough for a bed and wardrobe, tv/small sofa and small desk.  The kitchen was a tiny galley thing that we shared with flatmates and there was no common room.  So there was actually no floorspace and the only way to build (or study!) was on the bed.  I had to be pretty sure that when I started a big build that I could finish it or I'd end up sleeping on the pieces! 

tallblocktoocatwrangler
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Rebelego said:
    I build on a craftsman work stand/table.  Perfect height for me. But, no matter where I build (Table, work stand, floor) it all hurts my back.

Me too at this point. I may try a standing desk next.
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 660
    Too old now for the floor, no dining table ( house too small) so it's a little foldaway table for me!

• ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    I prefer the table. We have inside dogs and I don't want my parts getting a golden shower
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    For smaller sets yep, I still like the space the floor gives! BUT I do find myself having to continuously rearrange myself as my arms or legs go dead! So guessing a bit to old for the floor build! I did move to the kitchen table for the new UCS X-Wing, purely because of the volume of parts.
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 496
    Thought I would refresh this thread...I was enjoying the posts.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,060
    edited January 2016
    I always build at the table - no way I am subjecting my already damaged spine to sitting on the floor. My son usually sits accross from me while building, he does not seem to mind building on the table either ;) Free-building he sometimes does on the floor, but mostly, it's  at the table with mummy. Sometimes my husband even joins in. It's quite cosy, we like listening to audibooks sometimes during building and finished Harry Potter 4 today. Nice to see him experience it all for the first time. The shock about (SPOILER ;) ) Moody..., priceless!

I usually put my bricks on a tray or a white lid of those Ikea sturdy white boxes (no clue what they are called), just so our bricks don't mix.

catwrangler
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,117
    Floor space if the rabbits are sleeping rather than being inquisitive, but I find that these days of lots of smallish numbered bags, a bag (or multiple bags of the same number) can usually be done with a lipped dinner tray on your lap while sat on the sofa. The bamboo flooring in ours gets a bit hard on the knees after an hour.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    Seldom build on the floor.  To hard on the lower limbs and back.  I did actually try it recently but lasted only briefly.  I usually sit a the kitchen table and will sometimes stand as well while I build. 
  • eanaireanair IrelandMember Posts: 155
    I use the floor.  And none of this starting with bag 1 nonsense - all bags get opened and tipped out together.  I love feeling the bricks running through my fingers!  I don't care if it takes me however long to find the single 1x1 snot brick in the middle of 50 standard 1x1's....that's all part of the build for me :-)
    GalactusYodalicious
    eanair said:
    I use the floor.  And none of this starting with bag 1 nonsense - all bags get opened and tipped out together.  I love feeling the bricks running through my fingers!  I don't care if it takes me however long to find the single 1x1 snot brick in the middle of 50 standard 1x1's....that's all part of the build for me :-)
    You would do this with the Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,948
    I almost exclusively floor build. It's probably a bad habit that my joints might regret later in life. But building on a table is just so inconvenient — for one I don't have room for a table in my bedroom, which is where I do a lot of my building, plus if you drop a piece off a table it can take a long time to find it.

Sometimes in the past when my brothers and I have gotten big sets, my parents have set up a temporary card table for me to use. Other times we've built them on the glass-top table in the living room. But when it comes to MOCs and most sets, it's almost always on the floor.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 842
    I don't have a table to build at, but it kills my back on the floor. Probably no wonder why I hardly build anymore.

But if I build with my daughter, I end up getting on the floor a bit.

Eventually I'll get a table for the LEGO room I'm sure. Then I can spread everything out a little easier instead of small piles on the floor I have to walk around.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    I usually build on the dining room table - its a nice large open flat surface - good for spreading out the bricks, instructions and the build itself.  I''' alternate between sitting and standing while I build as I too suffer from the achy back/legs/arms etc. after a while!
    tallblocktookiki180703Mordoor
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    i ve built garmadons monstertruck and had a blast chasing my nephew with his kai and jetski on the groundfloor.
    the open/close mouth playfeature with the suspension is boss. 
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,758
    Floor space if the rabbits are sleeping rather than being inquisitive, but I find that these days of lots of smallish numbered bags, a bag (or multiple bags of the same number) can usually be done with a lipped dinner tray on your lap while sat on the sofa. The bamboo flooring in ours gets a bit hard on the knees after an hour.
    Yep, I have that "problem" too. My rabbit, inexplicably, loves to walk on LEGO pieces.
    tallblocktookiki180703catwrangler
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Yep, I have that "problem" too. My rabbit, inexplicably, loves to walk on LEGO pieces.
    My rabbit, a Netherland Dwarf, is also very curious when I'm on the floor building. But he doesn't like to just walk around or sniff them. Last week I came back to my half-built Avenjet to see a 1x8 brick around the cockpit gnawed off on the edges. Two weeks prior, he quickly nibbled on the instruction manual cover of Kylo Ren's Shuttle before I could shoo him away. I don't understand why he has such a hankering for eating this type of plastic, I would've assumed it would taste terrible and bitter.
    My rabbit, a Netherland Dwarf, is also very curious when I'm on the floor building. But he doesn't like to just walk around or sniff them. Last week I came back to my half-built Avenjet to see a 1x8 brick around the cockpit gnawed off on the edges. Two weeks prior, he quickly nibbled on the instruction manual cover of Kylo Ren's Shuttle before I could shoo him away. I don't understand why he has such a hankering for eating this type of plastic, I would've assumed it would taste terrible and bitter.
    My Holland Lop specifically makes a point to take a trip through one of my LEGO rooms whenever he escapes the "bunny safe" part of the house. He particularly enjoys hopping through piles of parts (maybe to spite me- "hey, I can walk on these, and you can't!"). I've only once seen him try to eat a part, and he quickly spit it out. However, he enjoys chewing on the plastic tubs I keep my parts in.
    catwranglermonkeyhanger
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,505
    @BrickDancer @SprinkleOtter

Am I the only one who finds it slightly odd that you allow potentially hugely destructive beasts anywhere near your LEGO collections, let alone in the house??!!

I wouldn't let a goldfish near my collection... ;-)
    MattsWhattallblocktoo
    I don't find it odd at all- the cuteness outweighs any potential damage.

Just look at this face. ;)

BrickDancerkiki180703ricecakematticus_bricksAanchircatwranglertallblocktoo
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Yea same reason here. You can't get mad at a mug like this.

SprinkleOtterkiki180703ricecakeAanchircatwranglertallblocktooJenniLEGOFan2
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 868
    I have a table in my room specially dedicated to Lego-building. It's not big (more like a study desk) but it works. With bigger sets I end up taking over the bed too
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,117
    edited January 2016
    They do like to Potter around and stick their nose in to a pile of Lego on the floor, and occasionally decide to skip away, flicking a few pieces behond them but have never tried to eat any. They like being in the man cave where most of my built sets are, but well out of reach.
    SprinkleOtterBrickDancertallblocktookiki180703catwrangler
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 2,195
    I build on my computer desk. I don't want to lose parts in the carpet. I have inventory in a spreadsheet, and the actual box of plain bricks nearby. It's a plain background for taking pictures of the finished product.
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 281
    Not only do I not get on the floor, but I bought a table with a crank that can adjust the height, so that I can stand and build, but also my kids can lower the table and use it. 
    catwrangler
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 156
    I would love to, unfortunately the two year old would probably love that idea as well, for very different reasons. So I'm relegated to the table lol
    tallblocktooVorpalRyu
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    edited January 2016
    i ll try that tommorrow !
    ist my weekly playsession with my nephew.

gonna spread a big sheet on the floor and dump all the lego on it!
    tallblocktooSirBen
  • eanaireanair IrelandMember Posts: 155
    eanair said:
    I would.  I know they're not as big but I've done it with both GE and PS.  When I was a teenager all my childhood sets were dismantled and kept in a big bin type thing, when I got back into Lego each set was remade by searching through the pieces in the bin. Some people do colouring books or fishing to relax - I like sorting through Lego!
    catwrangler
    eanair said:
    eanair said:
    I would.  I know they're not as big but I've done it with both GE and PS.  When I was a teenager all my childhood sets were dismantled and kept in a big bin type thing, when I got back into Lego each set was remade by searching through the pieces in the bin. Some people do colouring books or fishing to relax - I like sorting through Lego!
    i like looking over the bricks for the right part. but there is a limit to how long i am willing to looking before i get ticked off.
    the SW MF from 2011, had a brake down, clean and rebuild, just before Christmas. and that was about my limit to the number of parts i am willing to have all in one place to go over.