Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[email protected] Sales around X'mas time

DatodaDatoda Member Posts: 8
edited November 2011 in Collecting
I saw this question being raised in the [email protected] BF thread, but the answers there seem conflicting and fragmented (at least to me). Anyway, I think it deserves its own thread. Since this is my first year (first three months, to be exact) in collecting LEGO sets, I have a few questions about the year-end sale. I hope the more experienced folks here can fill in the blanks for me and other less experienced AFOLs. Thanks.
1. When does it start? When does it end?
2. Is it available both online and in store, or just one but not the other?
3. How deep of a discount can we expect? Is it across the board or just on some selected sets?

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited November 2011
    Last year, the online [email protected] sale started on December 24th in the UK, not sure about other countries. Discounts were deep, up to 50% but some sets were out of stock as soon as the sale went live, others were gone within minutes. You have to be quick!

It is only on selected sets, certainly not across the board. The sales are in store as well, but I don't know if they go live at the same time, someone else surely will. It goes on until all stock is gone I think.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Keep in mind that some sets that are deeply discounted, are so for a reason.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7753-1

Good example... This Star Wars set retailed for $39.99, sold in the Lego shop Dec 26th for $11.98.

It must not have been a good seller, since you can still get them for around retail today. :)

That being said, if you just want a deal on a set, that price is hard to beat!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Hi Datoda,

Well I don't set too much stall against getting bargains from [email protected] personally, as you can't guarantee a set you want being discounted, and even if it is, its likely to be out of stock in seconds (as Atkinsar says). But you never know your luck!

For me, (in the UK) i've found the best bet for brand new bargains are 3 for 2's which Toys R Us, Argos, & Boots do every now and again through the year (I'm sure someone on here can fill in the dates for when these usually happen). The advantage here is that there is usually an order into store 'click & collect' option, which is to be recommended over home delivery, as deliveries are known to arrive in a sorry state.

Also, Amazon (and the above stores) often discount sets (usually at the same time as each other), and some good bargains can be had there. But if you only have time to check one or two websites, i'd heartily recommend Brickset be your first port of call, as many bargains gets flagged up either here, or on the main page by someone... but again, you sometimes have to act fast as they can sell out, or (with amazon) the price has a habit to shoot back up due to the volume of sales.

Lastly, there's online stores, such as Very, Pixmania, TheHut/Zavvi, which sometimes discount Lego from time to time, and don't forget to do a google search for extra discount codes before you buy, and get on a cashback site, too (i'd recommend TopCashback, as it's 100% free).
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    My experience last year:

1. When does it start? When does it end?
    Started online Dec 24th in the evening. Started in store on Dec 26th at opening. Didn't have an end date, just when stock was depleted. It was 50% off. In late January, the items left went to 75% off.

2. Is it available both online and in store, or just one but not the other?
    Both, but the good sets sell out online very very quickly.

3. How deep of a discount can we expect? Is it across the board or just on some selected sets?
    50% off a selection of sets. You can see images from Dec 26th last year on my blog:
    http://brickupdate.com/lego-store-day-after-christmas-sale-50-off/

Thanks!
    -Dan
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I have about $75 in VIP points. Do I spend them today (with 10% off, free shipping, and a nice Christmas set) or do I wait until the Christmas sale?
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @Brickupdate thank you for the link. That was very helpful. Do you recall getting there right when they opened or later in the day?
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    I have about $75 in VIP points. Do I spend them today (with 10% off, free shipping, and a nice Christmas set) or do I wait until the Christmas sale?
    I think the deal on the Christmas Set #2 is over (they ran out)
    @brickupdate - if you look up most of those sets in the pictures (which I just did), you'll find that most of them today are still selling for less than orginal Lego retail prices.

In other words, there was a reason they were clearance, low demand.

Now if you just want a few cheap sets to play with, great. But I'm not sure those are really "investor" sets.

Just thinking out loud. This will be my first Christmas doing this, so what do I know? :)
    @LegoFanTexas - good point. The really high demand sets went within the first couple hours. So it's similar to the current LEGO sale right now, where Emerald Night and Imperial Flagship went immediately, and the rest are sitting. But...

At 50% off, it becomes a great opportunity to build your collection for MOCs. You can really load up on parts and minifigs, so there is a lot of value beyond the completed sets themselves. That's why I bought a bunch of Prince of Persia stuff. Great colors and parts.
    @kylejohnson11 I got there maybe 2 hours after they opened. So any REALLY great items were gone. But for what you see in the picture, the sale went on for weeeeks. Little by little, the stock went down. This year, I will be there before opening.
  • chakinochakino Member Posts: 159
    edited November 2011
    anyone got exact time the online sales start ?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ IIRC, last year they "officially" (in their ad) said it started Dec. 25 or 26, but it surprised everyone and it actually started on-line in the evening on Dec. 24. Just monitor LEGO.com or Brickset during that day.
    Yes, something that my wife will LOVE for me to do on Christmas eve, watch the lego forums and lego.com.

Ahh well, that is what we have an iPad for, right? :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,542
    edited November 2011
    ^-- hah, yeah LEGO stumped everyone (well almost everyone as many sets were gone before I heard about it on Brickset) by starting their sale during the day, not later that night at 12am.. I'm guessing this may have been done so whoever flips the switch did not have to be around at 12am to monitor it or something... So keep a watchful eye out, because I am guessing that if the Fire Brigade happens to make it to the end of December they will be on sale for 25-50% off, maybe the Death Star too.. ouch, just felt the pain on my credit cards....
    First - If Lego doesn't have 24/7 watch of their web site, they are nuts. They do enough sales they should have a round the clock staff.

Second - If Lego does 25% off sets like FB or DS, and we bought them this weekend, can we "return them, then rebuy them" and get the savings? Or do the stores refuse that?
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    iPads are also good for work... For some reason my company won't let me see this forum on the computer, so I pull out my iPad and check it out in case there is something interesting going on...

I bought a fire brigade this weekend because I want to get started on the modulars... If it goes on sale, I hope I can bring it back.... Guess I'll keep it sealed until xmas
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    I bought a second Maersk ship on [email protected] - it was the only thing I wanted, and I needed a spend to get the second Xmas set. Anyway I bought it on Friday 18th Nov - so just before they dropped the price. I took it back to the MK store and rebought it at the lower price. You have 90 days for a refund.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited December 2011
    First - If Lego doesn't have 24/7 watch of their web site, they are nuts. They do enough sales they should have a round the clock staff.

Second - If Lego does 25% off sets like FB or DS, and we bought them this weekend, can we "return them, then rebuy them" and get the savings? Or do the stores refuse that?
    You can return and rebuy items on sale, like this past weekend, but not items that go on clearance. Of course, if you return an item and the store has the item still in stock, you can buy it, but if you return it and the item is out of stock at the store, it goes back to LEGO. Then again, LEGO has good customer service so some might override that rule. But it goes against the very point of having a clearance.

And it is 50% off, not 25.

All discontinued stuff goes on sale. Online is usually sold out of the good stuff before it starts, but some stores had Taj Mahals, Green Grocers and Carousels at half off last year.