Useful Lego Terminology and Definitions

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
edited November 2011 in Forum Operation
I wanted to start a thread with definitions and terminology frequently used on this site and by Lego. Feel free to tweak the definitions to make them more accurate or add more terminology as desired.

Sold Out - Gone for good.

Back Ordered - Inventory needs to be check to see if an item is available.

In Process - To be shipped

Out of Stock - Not available...has to be manufactured.

[email protected] - Shop at Home (Lego's online website)

B&M - Brick and Mortar store (physical Lego store

SW - Star Wars

Comments

• MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    Add in abbreviations and acronyms because I have a hard time figuring out what some people talk about when they type just the first letter of each word.
  • nodnarb162nodnarb162 Member Posts: 58
    lol whenever I see [email protected] i think "Shipping & Handling :P It takes me a moment to go...oh duh :P
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    SNOT - studs not on top. Building technique where the bricks are placed on their side or upside down.

I kept seeing this the other day while browsing some MOC pages and had to look it up

MOC - my own creation. A design not created LEGO
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    TRU - Toys R Us

PBs - Poly Bags (those plastic lego bags generally found in the checkout line.

MFs - Minifigures

PoP - Prince of Persia

PotC - Pirates of the Caribbean

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    CRAPP is my my favorite so far. Crummy Ramp and Pit Plate
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    I always liked BURP - big ugly rock piece
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited November 2011
    Certain well-loved sets tend to get abbreviated:
    MMV = Medieval Market Village
    QAR = Queen Annes Revenge
    EN = Emerald Night

also, AFOL:
    Artist, Fairly Old, who uses Lego.
    :)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,756
    This one was my saviour early on after just coming out of my 'dark ages' :P
    http://www.brothers-brick.com/lego-glossary/
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    edited November 2011
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK, I rather like Aging Fart Obsessed with Lego. I'm ashamed to say that's the only MOC (my own creation) that I'm capable of making.

Any other bastardizations?
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    @Farmer_John, I have written a couple of posts on the topic. The first one is a list of LEGO part names used in the community. A lot fo LEGO fans take it for granted that everyone knows what is a plate, what is a tile, what is a brick. But this is not so. I can't remember which country it is, but there is a country in Europe where LEGO fans consistently refer to LEGO bricks as "stones". It took me a while to understnad what they are talking about!...(c;

Here is the list of basic terms: http://thebrickblogger.com/2010/11/lego-disctionary-basic-term/

And here the list of advanced terms (yeah, my favorites are also SNOT and BURP too): http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/01/lego-dictionary-advanced-terms/

My next project is to do a dictionary on the differences between LEGO's terminology and Bricklink terminology for various LEGO parts...(c;
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    One that's been coming up a lot this time of year;

EOL- End of Line/Life/Lego. When a set stops being produced by TLG and therefore causes panic amongst collectors who know it will become ridiculously expensive on the secondary market.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    @andhe thanks for that link, haven't read that for a while. also didn't realize that lego follows the grammatical conventions of sheep or that cheddar is orange!
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Thanks all...good stuff. A lot of good links that I have now bookmarked for future reference.

I think the EOL term is an accepted industry term (at least we use it for products where I work.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716