Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

B&N Cyber Monday

thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 412
edited November 2015 in Shopping USA/Canada
Code 25CMONDAY seems to be working with certain Lego sets,  25% off.  No idea if it will get cancelled either.  Sample set #60097 is $132.97 + tax.  
ChubblesmadforLEGOkiki180703spepper

Comments

• ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    grabbed Changing Seasons for under 40 after tax using this, thanks
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 412
    It's up on slickdeals now, I guess. 

Items they seemed to have found are - Cargo train, Quinjet, Agents heli, chima fire temple, Emmet's contruct-o-mech, Imperial Assault Carrier, Mystery Machine and Elves tree top hideaway. 
  • OUWxGuesserOUWxGuesser Member Posts: 92
    Shows a 30% off automatically for Imperial Assault Carrier, Naboo Starfighter, and Jedi Scout Fighter.   The latter two is good enough for me to bite on...
  • OUWxGuesserOUWxGuesser Member Posts: 92
    FYI That's a limit of 1 per transaction. 
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I put the Cargo Train in my bag and it gave me an automatic 30% off one item discount.  Brought it down to $139.  25% wouldn't stack obviously, but a great deal none the less.   Works with imperial assault carrier as well.
  • spepperspepper Davie, FLMember Posts: 152
    Grabbed Changing Seasons as well for $37. Thanks for the tip off!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,512
    Brings the #60097 City Square down 30% as well.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    The 10% membership discount combines aswell.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    thanks!  $35 for changing seasons, which is a set I've been trying to find under $40 for awhile now.  picked up the #60097 for $133 as well, which is closer to what RRP should be anyway
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,955
    Ok.  I am hoping this goes through and is not cancelled. I've enjoyed many of these small house builds. 
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 961
    I thought B&N removed the membership discount from online purchases a while back -have they started allowing it to be used online again?
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,440
    teal93mr2 said:
    I thought B&N removed the membership discount from online purchases a while back -have they started allowing it to be used online again?
    It's no showing up for me. Just the 30%.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,440
    Stupid BN.com...

I'm glad I'm ending my membership. It's not worth it anymore.

This is all I get and I wasn't even able to use my discount!

This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists.

ID: 2592836209607591060
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 961
    Yep, that's one reason why I didn't renew my membership earlier this year. 10% retail prices IN STORE is just not worth it. Yea you get free and "faster" shipping but not worth it. Not to mention that no store coupons work on Lego sets either, made it an easy $25 saved. 
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Yup same here, when I saw the increasing exclusion language for B&N's coupons, I declined to renew my membership a year ago thinking it would be a waste. So happy with that decision now as I look back over the year in hindsight and see I've bought very little from them.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,389
    I'm happy with membership, we buy a lot of books and a significant number of games. $250/year is easy to do. Add in double discount weekend (Mindstorms for $280!) and frequent coupons and we save so much more than $25. Actually I'm a little worried how much money we've spent this year as they sent me a $10 gift card today. It's always nice to get 10% off things that are never on sale like baseplates.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Your coupons are still working on Lego items @Jenni?
    No, on other things. I haven't even tried on Architecture sets since it started appearing in the fine print. But once a year there's a double member discount weekend in store only. So if you want Mindstorms or Architecture Studio you've more than made up the membership fee right there. When you buy as many $30-40 cookbooks, not to mention games, as we do it makes a difference to regularly get them at 28% off. And then there are my daughter's books. I do think I probably saved $25 just on LEGO purchases this year though. 
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    As much as I want to support brick and mortar stores, I find B&N's prices to be too high compared to Amazon on most things, so we just shop there.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    @sethro3....lol, you have no desire to support brick and mortar unless it is "as cheap as".   Next thing  people say is they want to support local schools, libraries , parks, and services but they don't want  to pay sales tax.
    @sethro3 if I want there to be real book stores I have to buy books from them. And I do want them! Amazon can't replace wandering around a store picking up books and glancing through the pages, especially not cookbooks.

In actual fact I buy about half my books from Barnes & Noble and the other half from our local bookstore at which there are never discounts. Having access to such places are well worth the extra cost to me. However my husband was quite scared going to the independent store once to realize they know me by name :).

Oh, and our independent store has shop dogs! And they blog!  http://parnassusmusing.net/2015/11/09/shop-dogs-review-new-photo-book-the-dogist/

How are you still shopping at Amazon? :)
  • eastonlioneleastonlionel USAMember Posts: 14
    Agreed.  I've stopped buying from Amazon unless I absolutely can't find it locally.
    edited December 2015
    Well good for you. I like not overspending. If Barnes was more affordable, I'd shop there for every book related need. Granted I also rarely buy books, and I never buy dvds or games, so I have little reason to shop for those things anywhere. But when we do need a book, we use the library most often.
    dougtskiki180703
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 769
     Most of the LEGO books I've bought this past year was from Costco. They're like half of B&N's price, even with the 10% off for members. B&N is good for buying CDs though, specially older ones. Some of their non-LEGO collectables aren't bad when you have a coupon.
    kiki180703
    Yeah I'm not going to feel bad about supporting one global company (Amazon) over another global company (B&N) just because the former is online and the latter has a store.  Give me the best price 

now when you bring in buying from locally owned, independent shops, then yeah the story changes somewhat, but for the most part I'm still price sensitive on most purchases. If the local independent offers additional services or benefits that are meaningful to me that the global corporation doesn't, then I'm willing to pay more.
    binaryeyekiki180703Sethro3
    ^That was well said. It is what I was thinking, but not what I was writing, so to speak.
    dougts
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,523
    I do my best not to pay more than I have to for anything, but I do factor in time as part of the price of merchandise. I truly miss being able to walk into Radio Shack or CompUSA and buy things NOW, instead of placing an order on a website and waiting until at least the next day to have the item in my hands. A good local store is even more likely to be able to get me to spend a little more, if I see that they provide service that justifies it - again, it's a part of the price, even if not in dollars.
    77ncaachamps
    As an example, I have a local toy store in my town.  Their prices are marked up slightly above retail on everything, and they rarely have deals.  I pretty much would never buy any normal run of the mill toys from them (like LEGO), and they do carry some of this stuff

but this store has done a great job of adapting to the times.  About 75% of their inventory are things you don't see in big box mass market stores or TRU.   Lots of high quality unique products, loads of educational toys, etc.  sure I could probably find this stuff online for less, but I actually go in there having no idea what I'm looking for, instead I'm just browsing. Hard to do that online. And the staff are super friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.  Those are the things that make paying more for the product worthwhile.  If the store just sold the same junk everyone sells, only for more? I never set foot in there and they probably go out of business

Its 2015, an independent store can't compete on price. They can't just throw mass produced marked up products on the shelf and put some dopey kid behind the counter to blindly ring up the sales for you and say "buy from us, we are local!" They have to provide *value*. great ways to do that are by bringing expertise/knowledge to the table, providing exceptional customer service, and by selling products or services that are unique and create market differentiation from
    77ncaachampssklambSethro3ricecake