The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Any idea if the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit LEGO rumors have any truth to them?

PolynicesPolynices United StatesMember Posts: 25
edited November 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Googling about some other LEGO stuff I stumbled across some very vague suggestions of Lord of the Rings LEGO coming late next year. Hard to tell if it's just wishful thinking or misunderstanding. Anyone have any insight as to whether this could possibly come true?

If it did, it would be the first LEGO theme that I felt obliged to purchase every single set.

Comments

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited November 2011
    Wishful thinking, no truth to it at all, but the general concensus seems to be that if they did it, it could be as big as star wars for TLG. I only hope they do it.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I hope it happens too, but I'm not counting on it. Two reasons I don't see it happening are:
    (1) Target audience age range. TLG reiterates their target audience is ages 6-12. LotR is an older age group.
    (2) Alignment with movies/shows. The Hobbit appears to be the only form of fresh media entertainment coming out to coincide with releases of sets.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    2 new movies (Hobbit Part 1 and Part 2), a quick end to the last Castle theme and the fact that they now have so many relevant molds absolutely lead me to believe it is indeed possible...
    ^ I didn't realize there were two movies coming. That's sweet.

Which molds besides the elf were you thinking of?

I do think it's possible, just not likely. How big is the toy market for LotR with action figures and whatnot?
    edited November 2011
    ^ All the Orc, Dwarf, Elf, Dragon and Troll molds first jump out at me. Not only that, but Castle seemed to abruptly end, getting replaced by a very blah Kingdoms line. All of this coming on the heels of the recent Pirates/PotC transition has my curiosity definitely peaked. IMO, it is just an absolute perfect fit for LEGO. Perhaps, though, they'll feel it's too mature. I find that hard to buy, though, since PotC was not necessarily kid fare.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    I have heard that it is true. I have no more details though.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    The only downside is adding yet another licensed product to the lineup. My guess is that they will phase out Harry Potter since the movies are over, and then perhaps make room for The Hobbit.
    edited November 2011
    ^ All the Orc, Dwarf, Elf, Dragon and Troll molds first jump out at me.
    Right, but weren't those around when the first batch of movies were released?
    Not only that, but Castle seemed to abruptly end, getting replaced by a very blah Kingdoms line. All of this coming on the heels of the recent Pirates/PotC transition has my curiosity definitely peaked.
    Don't get me wrong, I would definitely love to have LotR LEGO, but I would hate for LEGO to become all licensed sets. Pirates and Castle should always be generically creative, staple themes for them - like City/Town.
    IMO, it is just an absolute perfect fit for LEGO. Perhaps, though, they'll feel it's too mature. I find that hard to buy, though, since PotC was not necessarily kid fare.
    True. Both carried PG-13 ratings in the U.S., correct? Harry Potter as well.

I'm just not aware of how much LotR merchandising went on with kids. I'm probably just out of touch with these things, but I just don't recall seeing much in the way of LotR toys for kids when the trilogy was out. Seems risky for TLG.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 803
    I think that quite a lot of the LOTR discussion seems to have revolved less around any particular facts and a large bunch of fans just crossing their fingers, squeezing their eyes shut REALLY TIGHT and just hoping hoping hoping that it is going to happen!
    You complete me. :o)

• legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited November 2011
    With the Hobbit movies coming out, I think it would be a great line for kids. I remember enjoying the cartoon immensely when I was a kid and I believe even Tolkien wrote the Hobbit to be a childrens tale anyways. While LotR is for an older audience.
    Kid's will eat it up either way.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    I read somewhere possibly in an earnings report or something TLG wanted to move away from licenses and pump resource into their own themes. One would assume LOTR would not be a cheap license and fairly cetainly the tolkien estate would want a cut aswell as newline/mgm further increasing the cost involved. Having said all of that games workshop has a LOTR line but not sure how sucessful this is or what age group it appeals to.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,141
    edited November 2011
    If pretty much anyone else had written that then I would have come back with a devastatingly sarcastic retort.....

As it is I've now allowed my hopes to creep up just slightly !
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,425
    ^ Yeah, I've just got a little bit more optimistic too. Would've liked to hear your cutting response though :)
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    @sidersdd the Lord of the Rings trilogy was in theatres from 2001-2004. The Castle theme was released in 2007. It would appear that LEGO was inspired by LOTR to make the fantasy molds.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    The Hobbit book certainly is aimed more at children than the LOTR trilogy, I only read them 5 or 6 years ago for the first time (I know, I know) and remember thinking at the time that the writing style was for a younger audience and very different to LOTR. So from that point of view, it kinda makes sense.
    I've now allowed my hopes to creep up just slightly !
    I agree ... wow!
    (trying not to let my hopes creep up too much, but ...)
    WOW!
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    It would be excellent, the hobbit would be a fab vehicle for the sets. The riddles with Smeagol, Smaug's treasure, etc. Fingers crossed!
    I don't believe LOTR is easily converted to lego to be honest (maybe I lack imagination) figs would be great and some small creatures would be ok such as the spiders but the rest of the world is made up of large creatures and large castles or landscapes which when you look at minas tirith for example is very detailed and complicated requiring a large piece count I would assume. There are no vechiles like star wars and the very few small enviornments such as amon hen or amon sul provide minimal play value which is the driver for most lego themes other than UCS. Happy for someone to put me in my place if I'm way off the mark here but the way I see it, it's either minifig sets or massive sets with little in the middle cost wise. I am not saying that don't want to see LOTR I just don't really see the feasabilty.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,559
    I read the hobbit as a kid and hugely enjoyed it so would say the market audience is slightly younger, and will be interesting to see how this tone translates onto the big screen. I read somewhere that was why Peter Jackson was initially hesitant to film it due to struggling with how to deal with some of the more 'comedic' elements (the gang of dwarves mainly).

If it does happen there's no reason why it has to be a Stars Wars equivalent and not just a 'one-shot' theme like PoP or PotC.

A lot of the rumours seem to stem from a confusion with Warner making computer games, and Lego games, and someone misreading an article and equity that Warner have announced a LotR lego game - which they haven't. That said, enough of the more reliable people in the AFOL community haven't denied it, or have hinted that it will happen. But expect the same outcry from die-hard castle fans as when Pirates were pushed to the backburner with PotC stepping in.
    edited November 2011
    ^^ yes, but massive scenes can be scaled down to the key elements e.g. the quidditch match, hogwarts castle. Same for the monsters, e.g. the Balrog, although huge in the film would not need to be any bigger than, say, Earth Dragon Defence - well maybe a bit bigger but not much.
    Sets tend to play out a scene, so you can imagine the balrog with that skinny bridge thing with the steps that fall down, and Shelob of course (very similar to the Harry Potter spider set no doubt). Even the massive sets like that room with tons of columns could be done to get the essence of it without having to have 10000 columns. " Gandalfs rescue" could just be the top of the tower and the bird thing, etc etc
    (sorry its a while since I saw the films, I'm starting to forget the names of everything)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,559
    edited November 2011
    ^If it does happen I'd imagine it would focus on the hobbit, with maybe a few 'classic' LotR scenes, similar to what they did with PotC.

Sorry this thread has gone from 'will there' to another 'if there is' :p
    orry this thread has gone from 'will there' to another 'if there is' :p
    Not really - we're just testing the concept for feasibility to assess the likelihood
    Plus its fun :o)
    @andhe sorry my fault for hijacking the thread I'll say I don't think it will happen and we are back on track :-).
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Even if this comes to pass I'm not going to get too excited until I see pics of the sets. I do think it has the potential to be an amazing license. It just depends on how they approach the design of the sets.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    I figured that LEGO was releasing LOTR's without licensing, via the minifigures lines. Gotta admit that if a person shops hard enough, and does some mix and match, it is now pretty easy to do LOTR mocs via the minifigures lines :) hmm, Christmas project, maybe? ooh, walking trees!
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    I was just contemplating a Minas Tirith set. 18,457 bricks. All of them white. Comes with 40 minifigs. The final set stands 7' tall when you're finished. Costs several thousand $$, but think of the VIP points!!!
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I've heard rumors that it is true, but I just can't see it being an exciting or "hot" thing.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    Personally, if there was going to be a new licensed set next year I would much rather see a ghostbusters line. There will be a new movie and lets face it...Not only would the sets be amazing the series is also kid friendly. I know I went off topic a bit but hey, if your going to dream right... :-)
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited November 2011
    ^ have you watched ghostbusters recently, it's filthy ;-)
    I don't think Ghostbusters has enough IP to qualify for a license. The first 2 movies were basically the same thing outside of the ooze.
    I hope the rumour is true and that TLG makes a good go of LOTR, good luck to them. I Would be in line for a few sets espically figs would still prefer the SW line be improved with original sets though.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I'm more than a little nervous if this is true, purely going off the POTC sets (except the ships, they're pretty good). Most of the POTC sets seem half-finished, and are expensive for what they are.

But the minifig count for The Hobbit would be huge! Just having enough sets to include all the Dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf would be difficult, unless they just don't include all of them, like the POTC crews.

I might have to move over to collecting City with my son if these turn out poorly, at least City hasn't got the licensing mark-up.
    @stuboy that would be my concern aswell they would never do justice to such beloved films and books as these and to do so sucessfully would be expensive (for us!) That's why I do not believe this will happen, not only that who wants one or two levels of minus tirith or just the council of elrond (other than the figs). As I said before the structures are huge and for me at least it would be underwhelming to only have some parts it of them.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    I think Lego having a Lord of the Rings/ Hobbit theme is completely plausible. Having watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy I know there are lots of scenes Lego could create (both big and small). If ever there were a reason for Lego to have Collector’s edition Castles it would be for this series! I can even imagine they’ll make a few Starwars style battle packs. For me Pirates of the Caribbean showed Lego was ready for Lord of the Rings and I found many sets worth their price (and I’m in CANADA!!!).

Lego likes licences which they can also adapt into games. Lego Lord of the Rings (both sets and videogames) would make a mint.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,633
    edited November 2011
    They did produce many Lord of the Rings toys. I had quiet a few they were mainly 12" figures of characters from the film. They did sell quiet well at the time but after the films came out they dropped in price quickly and they don't go for much now on the second hand market. I don't think lego will do anything. the market isn't there people like the film. I lived with two film students and they loved it but as a film. it doesn't have the toy selling power that PoC has. Just look at PoP that has a massive game following but the merchandise just never shifted.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 280
    I can see a bunch of wonderful sets made using locations and events from The Hobbit.

The Shire/Hobbiton
    Bag End
    Rivendell (the meeting of Elrond)
    Attack of the Giant Spiders in Black Forest
    Encountering 3 Trolls
    Goblin Caves
    Gollum's Island (Gollum's Riddle)
    Lake town
    Smaug's treasure (Bilbo's Burglary)

And so much more!!!

• OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2011
    I think many people wished and kept their fingers crossed for a Queen Amidala minifig, and it is in the works now. But that is a single minifig and not a whole new line. I just don't know if the current Kingdom's line is successful enough for it to be continued, though.

I do want LOTR, but I would probably collect mainly the minifigs if it comes true. I would think that the other elements to be included would mainly be horses, houses and sceneries, so it might be a hard sell. Maybe the houses will be the selling point. Maybe if they add the trilogy, there might be more options.

There are a lot of excellent works for LOTR MOCs, but an official LEGO LOTR elf/troll/hobbit/human character will be the best (but hopefully not the only) selling point for this.
  • UtarEmpireUtarEmpire Member Posts: 3
    To add to the speculation, a guy I know who works at a LEGO store in Texas gave me some cryptic hints regarding LEGO phasing out Kingdoms and putting in another licensed theme in its place, then suddenly felt compelled by corporate policy to shut his mouth. Of course, confirmation bias dictates that we would want a Castle-like licensed theme to replace Kingdoms, but it could be completely unrelated. Or it could all be bogus speculation. Who knows?

I think I would have been more excited for a LOTR LEGO theme when the movies were released, but since then we've had the very excellent fantasy LEGO sets which are more than satisfying to me. The only thing we're missing is a revival of the old Forestmen/Dark Forest line to stand in for "Elves", and also a proper Wizard faction, which I'm pretty sure I've been hoping for since I was a kid.
    proper Wizard faction
    ..... ???

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I think the employees in the Lego stores are told very little. Even the store manager admits to me that they get little to no warning about what is happening, and often find out when we do about the major sets coming and going.

What little they do know, they hold close, they are probably the only decently paid person in the store after all. ;)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,842
    @si - those wizards look well 'ard. Like their about to go batter someone with their wands!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    yeah, not sure I put much stock in what a lone LEGO employee says. My experience tells me that I generally know a lot more about what's going on than they do. I always know about new sets, exclusives, themes, etc., before they do.