Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Advent calendars

What is going on with the advent calendars this year?  In previous years I could find them just about everywhere.  Most stores had ample stock so I would buy my son the city set for advent and the star wars set on clearance after Christmas.  However, this year every major retailer is sold out both locally and onlne.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    A few years ago they were always on sale as soon as December hit, with heavier discounts later on. I guess two things are at play.

1) Less production so that they do not need to go on sale (and production effort is put elsewhere).

2) More demand as more people are into lego these days.

SumoLegokiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,597
    Lego isn't afraid to undershoot production.  My guess is that they didn't sell as well last season.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 977
    Actually, they could be found just about everywhere....only it was a few months ago.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,208
    I'm just surprised they sell out when they are so pricey compared to what you get. I guess it helps when many people today do not release how cheap advent calendars once were. Because of this knowledge I refuse to buy the new ones.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    saw them at target all the time last and this month
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 780
    They're a great substitute for the chocolate calendars, however over-priced they are. I managed to pick up all 3 for a total of €29 at Carrefour which I was pretty chuffed about. They were already discounted and were on 3 for 2.

I really wish they'd add more variety though, a pirates one would have been great, but I'd have taken a Disney Princess one or even a Ninjago one! Surely some kids will have become bored by the same cops and robbers theme for the nth year in a row?
    ^ No more themes!
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 977
    I'm just surprised they sell out when they are so pricey compared to what you get. I guess it helps when many people today do not release how cheap advent calendars once were. Because of this knowledge I refuse to buy the new ones.
    What you get isn't what they are.   My kids loved opening their little gift each and every morning....seeing their smiles and knowing how excited they get is worth the $1.25/day...cheaper then the cup of coffee I'd be buying myself each morning to put a half smile on my face...and I remember when coffee was much cheaper, too :)
    dannyrwwkiki180703AleyditaShibRomanticWarrior
    edited November 2015
    ^ Wait, wait.  Kids play with these things?

And people take them out of the package?  I am not understanding this.
    Bumblepantskiki180703Renegade007cjhkhmellymelCommanderRaab