Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Newbie advice on purchases

Hi All,

As pretty much a complete newbie to Lego I am wondering where best to spend my cash. Essentially do I start putting money into things that are time sensitive or of more interest.

A great example of this is the Star Wars 2015 Advent Calendar. I've already missed the boat on this and am watching these fly out of Ebay at around £32 plus shipping in UK (so around £36 in all).  Alternatively I am interested in the Ghostbusters Eco-1 set at around £45 from lego (less 5% if I spend over £100). 

Where would you advise I start? The plus of the advent calendar is its limited availability vs a set I am more interested in.

In addition to this I am looking at possibly getting the Tumbler. Is this a good choice for beginning with bigger set? I like the look of it and think it will make a nice display piece.

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 462
    The ECTO-1 is still my favourite set of all time. 

I don't have a huge budget so there's a lot of sets I've missed, but I love that one.
    All_That_Rocks
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 633
    It is cool isn't it. The issue for me is that this is still available whereas the Advent Calendar isn't. I suppose the calendar is always going to be available on eBay though, but not sure how prices would rise. Mostly, that would just be fun to open. The only real points of interest would be the minifigs.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,416
    I'd buy a decent building set over an advent calendar with a few nice minifigs and lots of fairly naff mini builds.
    All_That_Rocks
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    ^^ I agree with CCC.

The advent calendar doesn't really have anything in it to display - well, you could display of course, but as CCC rightly says, they are rather naff mini builds.

I would go with a larger set that has more for the amount of money you spend on it compared to the advent cals, plus you are not likely to lose money if you decide to sell it on at some point.

I too am looking to get the tumbler before it goes. =)
    All_That_Rocks
    Thanks for the comments!

I actually got over excited and just had to go ahead and order the Tumbler and ECTO-1. Both of which will be put away for Xmas for me :)

The logic for this was

a: I love the look of these and think I would enjoy building and displaying them.
    b: I got 5% discount on both (not massive but still welcome)
    c: I got the Gingerbread house free
    d: I got almost 200 points to spend later

So looking forward to Xmas now :) 
    tecjamMattsWhatkiki180703GoldchainssnowhitieKevin_HyattBobflip
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    edited November 2015
    Good choice!

As others have said the Advent calendar is nothing special and very poor value for money. If you don't need it for Advent it'll almost certainly be half price in Smyths and other shops early next year anyway.

The Tumbler is a very nice display piece and you won't go wrong with any of the Ideas sets, they are pretty much the best that LEGO produce.
    SumoLegokiki180703
    Thanks Huw, always good to have your choices validated :)

BTW, have also got (but not built yet) the Exo Suite from the ideas theme. Really looking forward to getting my hands on Dr Who too when available. So, as you see I am definitely drawn to the ideas theme.

This is already getting expensive :)

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,629
    ^ Just wait until you get the bug for modulars and trains.  

I agree that the avent calendars smack of extra parts and production left-overs hastily thrown together in a disposable set.  Although a wonderfull set for kids, it boggles my mind that three and four year old calendars go well above their RRP.  Which - I also point out - provide crappy value.  (Don't buy it at TRU - I think the SW calendar is $42.00.)

However, there appears to be a secondary market for them, so investing in them may help fuel/subsidize the cost for new sets.

I've got a 2012 SW calendar that'll probably end up getting swapped for something far more valuable to me.
    kiki180703
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    I heard a rumour that the ECTO-1 set may be re-released in a new box, to tie in with the Ghostbusters HQ. Same price, same set number, just new packaging. Whether that's true or not, only time will tell, but it's still a great set and would heartily recommend it over the Advent Calendars.
    SumoLego
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    For the AFOL, the advent calendars aren't much more than a needed add to the collection. I buy the Star Wars one, but I would never call it anything close to a fun build experience.

Even lackluster for kids in some cases. My son got the City one last year, but doesn't want it again this year. Wasn't enough for him to do with it outside of the minifigures.
    Thanks all for reassuring me I have made the right choice, in terms of sets and community.

All comments much appreciated. 
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,145
    Do yourself a favor and try a modular out ASAP. If you get hooked, at least you have some time to catch before too many sets are retired.
    kiki180703
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027
    ^ Yes! You really should! I got hooked when I bought the Parisian restaurant but I missed all the ones from Cafe Corner to Grand Emporium including Town Hall :( 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,217
    edited November 2015
    Welcome, but are you asking about investing in LEGO or collecting LEGO as it seems to be a bit murky to me as to what you are asking.
    Welcome, but are you asking about investing in LEGO or collecting LEGO as it seems to be a bit murky to me as to what you are asking.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was really referring to collecting and grabbing sets while available. Thought it might be worth getting the advent calendar but rehire already gong for silly amounts on bay. Quite happy with my choices now. 
    vwong19 said:
    Do yourself a favor and try a modular out ASAP. If you get hooked, at least you have some time to catch before too many sets are retired.
    I'd love to but there are just so many sets i'd love to try. Need to figure out how to fund more sets :)
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    I'd add another vote for trying the modulars.
    I bought #10243 Parisian Restaurant, was immediately hooked, bought #10218 Pet Shop and #10246 Detective's Office and am now really looking forward to #10251 Brick Bank.
    The two new ones are really good, from a detail perspective, while Pet Shop is slightly more of a blank canvas and is begging to be modded and MOCed.
    I'm gutted that I missed out on the earlier ones, but really can't justify the cost of them on the reseller market.
    At least dip your toe in the water, before more get retired. You know you want to! ;-)
    kiki180703
    ^ No Cinema?
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    ^Not yet...

It might be odd, but I wasn't as taken by the Cinema, compared to the other three. I love the outside, but the interior just seems to be a lot of open space with not a lot in it. Heresy! ;-)

I really ought to pick it up, or I'll be kicking myself in 2/4/6 months time, when it does get retired.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 979
    ^Not yet...

It might be odd, but I wasn't as taken by the Cinema, compared to the other three. I love the outside, but the interior just seems to be a lot of open space with not a lot in it. Heresy! ;-)

I really ought to pick it up, or I'll be kicking myself in 2/4/6 months time, when it does get retired.
    I didn't buy it either, but my taste was just the opposite, I liked the inside not the outside.
    But then again, I didn't like the look of the TH either, lol.....and I don't miss not having it, so I'm pretty sure not having the PC won't bother me either.
    I don't particularly like Cafe Corner, but i've been seriously considering buying a used one for assembly and display. 

Because must have one of everything!
    Yodalicious
    Can't justify anymore right now but have a birthday in February. Do you get notice when sets are to be retired? 
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    They never tell us when sets get retired. Usually most sets last around 2 years. However, there are several that have gone on and on and on. Best bet is if it came out nearly 2 years ago(or is seasonal), grab it if at all possible, or regret it later when you have to pay far more(i.e. the Star Wars Advent calendar).
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,245
    well, the last hobbits didn't even last a year here and I fear with the number of sets increasing each year and the shortage (?) of bricks, sets may get retired quick.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    There has to be a minimum for the number of copies of a particular set to be viable. Once you've produced that number, it's not going to be retired just for the sake of it.
  • eastonlioneleastonlionel USAMember Posts: 14
    edited November 2015
    Right now the oldest set in the modular series is the Pet Shop, and most likely to be retired before the others.  I just picked up the Palace Cinema, which is the second oldest in the series right now.  I just wasn't that taken with the Pet Shop, or I would have bought that one for fear of missing it.  I too watched all the other modulars go by over the years and didn't buy any.  I just couldn't justify the price at the time.  I thought I'd try one building to see if I like it.  If I do, I'll likely get the Private Detective set as that looks interesting.  I also like the look of the forthcoming bank.

As for the original post, I agree it depends on what your goal is with Lego.  If you want to build what you buy and have fun with it, then buy the sets you like.  They don't have to be the big and expensive sets.  I like a lot of stuff in the City line, whether it's a low priced set or the top priced set. 

If you are buying to not open the box and resell for a profit, then that may be a whole different type of set than you might personally like.
    In the UK, the Cinema has received a bit of a face lift with a new (smaller) box, emblazoned with the Creator Expert logo, whilst that has not happened with the Pet Shop... for my money, I'd say that means the Pet Shop is next to go!
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    In the UK, the Cinema has received a bit of a face lift with a new (smaller) box, emblazoned with the Creator Expert logo, whilst that has not happened with the Pet Shop... for my money, I'd say that means the Pet Shop is next to go!
    Is PC now in a similar box to the PR or just smaller than the original modular boxes?
    Is PC now in a similar box to the PR or just smaller than the original modular boxes?
    It's definitely smaller than the original modulars, but am not sure how it compares with the PR / Detective's Office.
    They are all in a similar sized - and more environmentally friendly - boxes.  The Detective Office, Parisian Restaurant, Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Fairground Mixer and say, Millenium Falcon are in the same footprint box.

I haven't seen any redesigned PS and PC in my area, but there are photos floating around,

The sets that remain in the older 'squarish' box (that are a nightmare to ship and are subject to damage) are the Ferris Wheel, Temple of Airjitsu and Tumbler.

The TB and SOH remain in the larger cube-boxes with a little heavier gauge cardboard.  (The Helicarrier, Sandcrawler and DS do as well.)

Recently, the Creator automobiles have all been put in similar redesigned boxes - all more rectangular and smaller.  (VW, Mini and Ferrari.)  This is the same sized box that the Horizon Express was packaged.

Personally, I prefer the more concentrated packaging.  But I can also understand from a consumer standpoint that if I'm purchasing a $100.00+ set, that I want a substantial box!

Just realized that I pay way too much attention to box sizes.  I should get a hobby.
    kiki180703Renegade007cjhmadforLEGOYodalicious
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Whilst a new box suggests a set is likely to be around a bit longer, the lack of one doesn't suggest the opposite. It just means that there is enough stock left in the old box that there either hasn't been a new run or it hasn't worked  it's way through yet.
    kiki180703madforLEGO
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 979
    @SumoLego .....I think all lego boxes will get smaller.  Lego has come under fire the last few years for the materials they've used in their packaging as well as waste in packaging.  They have made some positive steps, but they are no where near where environmental pressures will take them.  They have recently adopted and used materials from managed forests.  But we will see smaller boxes with more recycled materials in the paper board in the future.
    kiki180703