Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,105
    SumoLego said:
    Legogram said:
    #40354 Dragon Dance Guy is available to purchase.
    There is a limit of two.  Although it is not noted on the website.
    Dare we assume that the other Chinese new year sets will also appear at [email protected] as well?
    Onebricktoomany
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,229
    ^Don't you dare!
  • LegogramLegogram PA USAMember Posts: 320
    My confirmation for the dragon is for 5.  They must have changed it.
  • rd1899rd1899 U.S.A.Member Posts: 167
    edited December 2018
    Via the latest catalog:  From January 1st to the 13th, #30361 Fire ATV or #5005236 Friends Club House Pod - free with $25+ purchase.
    madforLEGOgmonkey76
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,579
    edited December 2018
    ^ That's nice but does anyone know when the #5005251 penguin box comes out?
    MegtheCatgmonkey76
    oldtodd33 said:
    ^ That's nice but does anyone know when the #5005251 penguin box comes out?
    According to thebrickfan.com LEGO will no longer put the GWP promos on the monthly flyers, but supposedly will send out notifications via email or mailers.
    oldtodd33rd1899mithridatekiki180703
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,579
    I had read that but I wondered if anyone had an idea of when. Doesn't matter much now as I have grown impatient and bought 3 from Germany. 
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 500
    It's kinda hard to plan for future purchases when we don't know what GWP is coming and when though.
    Astrobricksgmonkey76Bumblepantskiki180703M_Boss
    MegtheCat said:
    It's kinda hard to plan for future purchases when we don't know what GWP is coming and when though.
    Agreed. Im not sure why LEGO decided to make this change.
    Astrobricksgmonkey76kiki180703
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 990
    Great. So now Lego is making it harder to plan for direct purchases, they decided to make things a bit more difficult for loyal customers, probably a targeted strategy. Don't they know promos are the main reason people shop direct???
    gmonkey76MegtheCatkiki180703
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 644
    Hopefully that means they’ll shoot out the emails far enough in advance to make planning for purchases possible.  I doubt that, but we’ll see.  Thankfully, IIRC, don’t all the promos come out at roughly the same times each year?  I probably pay more attention in Oct-Dec for promos though than at other times of the year where it might be more random.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,670
    Promos are not meant to help customers plan future purchases. Promos are meant to get customers to buy more stuff than they would have bought without the promo. Announcing a promo early could cause buyers to postpone purchases, adversely affecting sales between the announcement and the live date of the promotion. The trick is to have promotions that are good enough to convince people to buy MORE sets in order to get the promotion, but not so good that people only buy to get the promo deals.

I have no data to back it up, but I would guess that LEGO makes as much, or more, money selling to retailers as they do selling direct, especially after factoring in the costs of shipping, promos, points, and running the website.
    M1J0EAstrobricksMegtheCatmithridateMynattklintonkiki180703The_Stud
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 821
    edited January 2019
    They probably have at least some of an Osborne effect variant happening with the published promos. My guess is they want people buying stuff more consistently rather than piling up orders waiting for a promo. [EDIT to clarify: If you don't know what promo might be coming up soon, you might be more likely to just go on and order the set(s) you're considering, and then you might order more to get the promo.]

I don't agree with the approach, but I'll bet that's why they're trying it. I think they will end up having people just buy from third parties more, and at a discount. Only time will tell though.
    M1J0EMegtheCatgmonkey76canon03kiki180703
    edited January 2019
    Promos are not meant to help customers plan future purchases. Promos are meant to get customers to buy more stuff than they would have bought without the promo. Announcing a promo early could cause buyers to postpone purchases, adversely affecting sales between the announcement and the live date of the promotion. The trick is to have promotions that are good enough to convince people to buy MORE sets in order to get the promotion, but not so good that people only buy to get the promo deals.

I have no data to back it up, but I would guess that LEGO makes as much, or more, money selling to retailers as they do selling direct, especially after factoring in the costs of shipping, promos, points, and running the website.
    That would be strange to me as LEGO is not selling to retailers at a RRP, whereas they are selling to customers at RRP (which I also presume accounts for operating expenses).
    The problem with this though is it can backfire on LEGO IMO. For me at least, knowing when a promo is coming will ensure that LEGO, not another retailer, will get my money. I only buy LEGO at retail prices if [email protected] has a promo going on (and there is nothing I want on sale of course). So no advanced warning may get LEGO to lose money IMO, promo or not, if my allowed expenditures do not account for a LEGO purchase due to promo. The other thing I think people are forgetting is that this could take away purchases from their stores as well. GWP is also a reason to visit my 'local' LEGO store at certain times when I normally may not go, or would not spend 75 or more at the store.
    If LEGO is really worried about promos, or someone waiting to make multiple purchases to get multiple promos, then they should do what Amazon and B&N do and limit the release of said promos based on billing address.

MegtheCatOnebricktoomanyteal93mr2gmonkey76kiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,898
    I wonder if the calendars leaking so early online was the reason. They don't want us waiting two months for a better promo when we might otherwise go for the cutrcur offer. I agree with those saying it will probably lead to fewer orders from consumers like ourselves.
    OnebricktoomanyM1J0Ekiki180703
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 500
    I personally would rather try to do better waiting on sales rather than randomly order from [email protected] just because something I want has been released with no promo. As it is, I really only save items to order from Lego directly when I know a certain promo is coming.

And I have to come to the conclusion that it is less of a hassle(!) to order from [email protected] rather than go the the actual Lego Store. Unless there is an in store only promo.
    Onebricktoomany
    MegtheCat said:
    I personally would rather try to do better waiting on sales rather than randomly order from [email protected] just because something I want has been released with no promo. As it is, I really only save items to order from Lego directly when I know a certain promo is coming.

And I have to come to the conclusion that it is less of a hassle(!) to order from [email protected] rather than go the the actual Lego Store. Unless there is an in store only promo.
    I go to a LEGO store for 4 things (usually in this order):
    1) Build a figure - especially since some of the parts in there lately are rare
    2) Pick a brick - as typically there is always something I want, especially since stores have better control over what they can get
    3)Promo - if I specifically want that one
    4) sets on sale only at the store, or cannot be found online - Rare, but sometimes occurs

That and I typically stop by the LDC that is in the same area as sometimes they get some interesting things.
    Onebricktoomanygmonkey76
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    I wonder if the calendars leaking so early online was the reason. They don't want us waiting two months for a better promo when we might otherwise go for the cutrcur offer. I agree with those saying it will probably lead to fewer orders from consumers like ourselves.
    If they haven't done it before, I would love for LEGO to run a fake upcoming calendar then run an actual one days before it were to be a new month.

Being online is a curse and a blessing.

Why not have fun with it?
    M1J0E
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,673
    edited January 2019
    ^ yes that all some sue happy person would need. Find any lawyer and sue LEGO for false advertising. Think of all the good press LEGO would get. 
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Make every promo desirable; problem solved ;)
    gmonkey76M1J0Eoldtodd33SumoLegokiki180703
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,321
    Today I just got the PaB order I made on December 9th to get me up to $35 for free shipping. It appears to have come all the way from Denmark. But what made me chuckle was seeing this on the package: 

Switchfoot55ReesesPiecesMegtheCatdavetheoxygenmanMynattpreverekiki180703
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 436
    edited January 2019
    Apparently a GWP over $50 is out in store of a Lego store employee Minifigure and poster. 

Celebrating 100 stores. 

davetheoxygenmanstluxLittleLoriThe_Stud
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,066
    Hmmm... wonder if all the stores have these, and how many...
    SumoLego said:
    Hmmm... wonder if all the stores have these, and how many...
    No idea... Saw it elsewhere and thought I'd mention. I don't feel like driving to the mall to check .
    SumoLego
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 243
    edited January 2019
    http://minifigpriceguide.com/wordpress/lego-stores-north-america-100th-anniversary-minifigure-free-with-50-purchase/

Googled and this came up. 

Now I gotta go to the Lego store again. Not sure if I want it to be true or not. The LEGO hunt is giving me an ulcer.
    SumoLegobrickventuresThe_Stud
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,321
    http://minifigpriceguide.com/wordpress/lego-stores-north-america-100th-anniversary-minifigure-free-with-50-purchase/

Googled and this came up. 

Now I gotta go to the Lego store again. Not sure if I want it to be true or not. The LEGO hunt is giving me an ulcer.
    Hobbies should not give one an ulcer. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76brickventuresSeijiAmasawaOubirdThe_Stud560Heliport
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,066
    SeijiAmasawa said:
    The LEGO hunt is giving me an ulcer.
    Hobbies should not give one an ulcer. 
    Bah, you're not trying hard enough!
    SprinkleOtterthenosvwong19brickventuresSeijiAmasawaOubirdThe_Stud77ncaachamps560Heliport
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,051
    I got an email about it yesterday afternoon so I went by my local store today and got it. Pretty cool GWP imo! 

thenosstluxMegtheCatSeijiAmasawaLittleLoriThe_Stud
  • tcctcc Washington, DCMember Posts: 72
    My store said they only had 2 boxes, and were 1/3 through one by noon today. Promotion only lasts through Sunday.
    Yeah, going tomorrow since I wanted to get the new BaM parts that are out
    BrickByBrickgmonkey76
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Dang it. Went to the Lego store this morning but only bought $30 worth of stuff. There was no sign of such a promotion. Hopefully they still have more tomorrow. I saw TLM2 posters were available. 
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 309
    edited January 2019
    San Francisco store has so many they gave me two posters and two figures for spending $100, so I’d imagine at least they’re confident they’re not going to run out before Sunday.
    AstrobricksMegtheCat
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,673
    Yeah, going tomorrow since I wanted to get the new BaM parts that are out
    Waiting outside the Woodfield store now. Funny that my store didn't tell me anything about it, and I stopped in everyday between the 1st and the 3rd
    vwong19davetheoxygenmanmadforLEGO
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Got the Lego 100 store promo at the San Diego UTC store this morning. They have the promo advertised on the windows, which they didn’t do at the Fashion Valley store that I visited yesterday. Looked like they had hundreds of them. Bought a $49.99 set and they didn’t require me to buy another item to reach the $50 limit.
    gmonkey76madforLEGOkiki180703
    My brother and I went up to the store today. Got one of the 100 celebration figures and posters, but they were out of the LEGO movie posters. The manager I know was not there so I figured I was not getting any favors by trying to get another figure for my GF who could not go. They also made it a bit difficult for me to get the new BaM parts, but managed to get the French bulldogs I wanted, along with what appears to be a white clown looking minifigure head only in BaM bar. Also filled up a PaB large cup and bought the Combine Harvester transport to get past 50 dollars.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 795
    edited January 2019
    @madforLEGO are you talking about the character posters and is it a weekly thing again?
    They have a few different ones out there I did not really get to see them, but thebrickfan.com has examples of them. A bit miffed I missed out on the apocalypse armored batman and Benny posters
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    l never got an email about this promo. Pretty mad about that l could have went on friday or today.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    My store had the posters just laying out today for anyone to take what they wanted. They only had emmett and batman. I asked and they went back and brought out unikitty, Benny and wildstyle. I picked up two or three of each. They are huge.
    PyrobugLittleLorikiki180703
    pharmjod said:
    My store had the posters just laying out today for anyone to take what they wanted. They only had emmett and batman. I asked and they went back and brought out unikitty, Benny and wildstyle. I picked up two or three of each. They are huge.
    Yeah, was not terribly impressed with the staffing for LEGO today.
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 795
    edited January 2019
    My store is oos of those movie posters and I didn't even hear about them until today. Dang it. I'm surprised they didn't do a weekly release. I wonder if they'll include these when you place an order at [email protected]
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 644
    leetshoe said:
    l never got an email about this promo. Pretty mad about that l could have went on friday or today.
    You & me both.  I got busy today even after I knew about this, & by the time I phoned the mall to see if they had any left, they’d all been given out.  Not a huge deal, but still.  I could’ve gone.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 549
    Were the movie posters free with any purchase??  I had no idea about them and the cashier didn't mention them, but I was able to get the 100 minifig and poster as well as #30361.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,015
    Did they give out the movie tickets as well?
    Did they give out the movie tickets as well?
    Only if you bought x amount of LEGO movie 2 sets, which I did not. From what I understood you could just ask for the posters and they would provide them free of charge of purchase of another item
  • PyrobugPyrobug Louisville, KyMember Posts: 179
    The Louisville store had the 100 minifig but they apparently never got the poster to go with it. I got #70829 so I at least got the minifig.

I got one of each of the movie posters except for Wyldstyle because there weren't any on the floor. I had an employee get a stack of Benny and Batman from the back. When she came back without Wyldstyle, I assumed they were out of that one. I asked but when she said "I'm not sure" I didn't press it. I wish I did press it because according to @pharmjod, they did have all of them. I also regret not grabbing multiples of each but I didn't want to feel greedy.
    The_Stud
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Were the movie posters free with any purchase??  I had no idea about them and the cashier didn't mention them, but I was able to get the 100 minifig and poster as well as #30361.

In Louisville they were just free. They were in a pile near the door for anyone to take what they wanted.
    The_Stud
    pharmjod said:

In Louisville they were just free. They were in a pile near the door for anyone to take what they wanted.
    Which probably explains why my store had none left by the weekend
    SumoLegoThe_Studkiki180703
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    I just looked at my Lego [email protected] receipt from today.

Noticed that items priced $500+ are subject to 10% restocking fee. Is this new?