Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

bricklink question

brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
hi all
i am a lego collector and like to build some when i got some spare time left! i m doin some bricklinking lately for bley slopes.

when i am in a bricklink shop, and i found a part which i admire/want to buy. can i somehow compare the pricing fast to the cheapest on se world ? 
in the past i just opened another bricklink window and did a search for this item, revealing the cheapest price! but thats somehow complicated.
i dont always have a list of items i wanna purchase, i also wanna browse a bit and maybe explore items i didnt already know!
maybe there is a browserplugin which tells you cheapest bricklink price from a highlighted item or something

much love
brum

Comments

• theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    I'd have thought the easiest way is to have a window open to the catalog and the price guide page will list them all.

It won't take into account the postage charge and any import fees you would need to pay of course.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    edited November 2015
    can u analyze a bricklink store in regards to which items are "cheap" in comparison to the rest of the world ?

like "show cheap items of this shop" or something.
    it then lists all items that are in a pricerange (+/- 10% for instance) compared to the cheapest on the world of this item!

edit:
    i should have learned better english in school. yea. i know!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,388
    No, you cannot do that.

It is something sellers argue against having, otherwise it is very easy to go to a store, pick out just cheap parts and buy them for resale. There is also the problem of how you define cheapest in the world. If a seller has one of a part and they list it at a penny, but nothing else in their store, then no one will ever buy it. Yet it is cheapest, and so may influence other sellers' prices.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    You best bet is to create wantedlist and if it is not too large, use a program like http://www.buildingoutloud.com/brickficiency.php to find the cheapest store combo.

I usually work with large wanted list so any order optimization is not possible. I built my wanted list from brickstock and import the average cost for each parts so when I browse stores it gives me a good idea on where they stand price wise.
    yea. creating a wanted list right now. 

u need to browse a lot of stores and "learn" prices though
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2015
    Although getting the cheapest brick is one factor, I consider it more important to go with a store that will get the order right, with decent bricks, a good selection, decent packaging and fast, reasonably priced delivery.  All those things are worth more to me than saving $0.01 per brick.  Even if I was going to buy 100.
    The only time I would want the feature you speak of is if I was ordering expensive sealed sets - then the difference in price can be quite big.  But that isn't something I just go to a store and order - I would know the going rate and would check other prices - and not just on bricklink.
    But either way, the feature you are interested in can kind of be achieved through rebrickable's wanted list feature, although I think this might only be for sets/moc that they have on their site (it's been a while since I used it).  It does at least check various stores for the right combination of purchases based on price.  Give it a look.
    andhealexwil
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,430
    Having a function to search for the cheapest purchase option is a double-edged sword. If it becomes easy for buyers to find the "loss-leader" items that a seller uses to draw customers, many customers will only buy those items from each seller. Soon the sellers have to raise prices on those items because people are not buying anything but the cheapest items from each seller.

Retailers go to great lengths to provide just the right balance of information to make comparison shopping, especially by price, difficult. I recently needed to buy acetaminophen, and decided to check a few prices online before shuffling off to the local drugstore. Thanks to the variations in packaging there is absolutely no way to figure out the least expensive option without dividing the price by dosage and number of tablets in the package.

http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ns=Final_Price&Nso=1&Erp=60&Ntt=Acetaminophen

Note that this item
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-pain-reliever-tablets/ID=prod6153227-product

sells for $0.30US more than this item

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-pain-reliever-caplets/ID=prod6153230-product

They are the same thing, but for an extra 30 cents you cut the per-unit price from $0.17 to $0.09 and double the quantity. But a lot of people will grab the one that is 30 cents cheaper and think they got the better deal because they saved 30 cents - else they would not have that package on the shelf.

I ended up purchasing at Sam's Club, at a per-unit price under $0.02.

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343

Soon the sellers have to raise prices on those items because people are not buying anything but the cheapest items from each seller.
    And others will have to reduce their prices for much the same reason.
    edited November 2015
    i m ok with it. wishlist is just the right thing for me!

but i have a problem with items that are 0.30,-   when in other shops they appear to sell at 0.03,- or something! a 1000% increase is just silly! and those "expensive listet items" exist in some shops en masse! i know 0.30,- is not expensive per se. but when i order 500 piece or something its 15,- instead of 150,- and thats a difference.

i couldnt care less about price variation in the 20 percents!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,388
    You have to ask yourself why does the store have them at 30c (or why can the other stores sell them at 3c)? Often you will find that the 3c ones are selling one of the part, whereas the 30c seller has bulk quantities. If the part is likely to only be needed in large quantities then the 30c seller will sell them. Of course the 3c part looks attractive as it is cheap, but if the seller has only one and nothing else of interest, it will sit unsold as it actually costs 3c plus $3 or whatever for postage.

If many stores are selling them for 3c and in bulk too, then you can least favourite the expensive store and exclude them for your searches.
    least favourite ?   gotta check this feature out