Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Scottish LUG

CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 654
Guys

As discussed earlier today, here is a thread where we can chat about Scottish meetups for our AFOLs. @khmellymel @GoldJono @BOBJACK_JACKBOB @rawbob @Lego_Star etc. Please tag others that i dont know yet

R
khmellymelLego_Star

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    @warrenelsmore is based up in Scotland too, and a couple of other Brickish members that I don't think are on Brickset. 
    khmellymel
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    Sounds good
    khmellymel
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    I am indeed :-) I'm not sure how many BA members from Scotland aren't on here, but it's at least a few.
    khmellymel
    Out of curiosity, is the afol who drinks in the State bar in Glasgow a bricksetter?
  • GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 217
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Found it C_R

great meeting an other lego fan.

ill keep an eye on this thread.

Alan
    William_Townsley
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 654
    So Alan and I bumped into each other at the LEGO aisle at Sainsbury's tonight. i took a chance and asked if he was an AFOL and with Brickset and yay I got a positive response. So we have found another AFOL in Scotland :)
    Lego_Staradventure_alkiki180703
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    Can i make you all aware that there is a super-star destroyer up for sale in fraserburg aberdeenshire on gumtree he's looking for £175 https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/lego-star-wars-super-star-destroyer-10221/1146283083 it looks MISB
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,059
    Yeah, and in another ad he's selling a sealed 10179 for £200. Suspicous?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/lego-10179-star-wars-millennium-falcon/1146335299

edited December 2015

The images in the ads appeared to be linked from ebay listings. Odd?

Stay safe Bricksetters.
    What eBay listings? I've contacted him and he seems pretty legit

If he's legit then you've got a bargain. Usually things like this are too good to be true.

The falcon image as hosted at

https://ssli.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzQ5WDk5OQ==/z/F~EAAOSwv-NWbYwN/$_86.JPG

Do Gumtree use the same image hosting? If so my mistake. Just want people to be careful - that's all.
    He's sold quite a lot in the last few days
    1. Simpson House
    2. This
    3. Shield
    4. B Wing? i think its that 
    Yeah Gumtree and eBay use the same image host 
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-baby-stuff/excellent-new-like-condition-lego-house-5771-with-original-box/1146331786

Look at the image url for that 
    Ah yes. I see that now. Didn't think to look elsewhere.

Still, I'd much rather look a tit and people be safe ;-)

The SSD at £175 I could just about imagine, but £200 for 10179 just looks a bit wrong. He can't know what he's selling.

:-o
    LostInTranslationkiki180703Lego_Star
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,525
    Another post states "part of my dads old collection amp is fully working tried and tested clearing out his stuff first to see will buy the amp will be tried and tested in front of you as well, " and another that he's moving house, so it's possible this is his dads LEGO who may have passed away or something.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,525
    Havig read the Falcon advert, it sounds like the sellers parents saved them for their grandkids who are not interested. Sounds like there are more sets where they came from, worth calling if you are nearby, could have some POTC sets sat in a cupboard or something.
    I've messaged him and he seems like a nice man. I've told him I want it and he seemed okay with that 
    CommanderRaab
    Wow that is a steal. Almost worth driving a few hours north to go get it :)
    It's not there anymore it looks like someone has picked up a bargain 
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    So sounds like you lot are primarily Star Wars nuts?
    I haven't even watched any of the star wars...  i just like the sets 
    I think its just a case of knowing a good when we see it and wanting someone to take advantage of it :)
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 553
    There's been some talk on the tesco thread about possible bargains on boxing day. If I see anything at least 50% off I usually buy a few and offer them on here at cost. It's been a while but I remember buying quite a few LOTR weathertop and MF Frankenstien sets at bargain prices and sending them to other members.

If I get anything I will offer them on this thread first. I would appreciate that if anyone else sees any bargains, they do the same.

Are you up for this?

Bob
    I'm up for it, despite its size the Cumbernauld Tesco has few decent sets but if I see any at 50% off I will grab a few. They have a xwing display box but don't sell them!
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    @BOBJACK_JACKBOB

Is there anything in particular that you have been eyeing up? I'd probably go for a scooby doo haunted mansion and friends pop star tour bus for myself and lil' brother. Oh and a wookie gunship. Haven't been to Tesco for a few days though so not sure what the stock situation is like.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,292
    I am totally up for this... though, bee warned, my Tesco is terrible.  I'll be checking out ASDA too though :)
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 247
    I'll have a look in my local but their range of offers are not always as good as elsewhere for some reason!
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    edited December 2015
    I think the best way to go is to just buy anything if it's a bargain. We can offer to each other, then to everyone else on the forum. I'm sure everything will be snapped up.

Anything that's left I will buy for Fairybricks.
    kiki180703khmellymelLego_Star
    Slim pickings when I checked late today, nearly empty shelves as well as the fact that large sets have been pushed to one side to make way for storage containers etc 

Still there: 3 TFA sets, a couple of Jokerlands, one or two city sets but 3 at most of any one set.
    No Scoob, Bus or Wookie gun ships left.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    Hello from the Southern Hemisphere my bonnie AFOLs. First off Merry xmas, I hope you all have a wonderful festive season. I have come back here to spend time with my family.

This of course means that I will miss all the good sales. So I would be delighted if someone could get me one or two bargains :)

See you all next year, hopefully soon at an AFOL day.

Xx
    Robyn
    Lego_StarBOBJACK_JACKBOBkiki180703
    Have a nice time Commander!

I'm sure us canny Scots (and one canny Canadian!) will grab you a bargain if we spot any!

Merry Christmas to all!

Rab, Hollie & Ben (oor wee ginger dug)
    Lego_Starkiki180703CommanderRaab

^^

Enjoy! Don't worry, will be hitting the shops tomorrow morning to pick up bargains to spread around. Will have the wife with me so will be a bit limited in purchasing power.  

I hopefully will have started my new job by the next afol day I won't have to rush off and if I get a similar leaving gift to the last person I hope to have a gift voucher to spend as well. Cheeky I know :)

CommanderRaab
  • thebeermonkeythebeermonkey GlasgowMember Posts: 390
    Hi All. I'm a Glasgow based AFOL. Does anyone know if there is a GLUG - a Glasgow Lego Users Group? 
    ^ Alas no but there is a bit of a meet up of Scottish afols on certain days at the Glasgow store. I would guess the next one to be 6th Feb. Watch this space :)
    edited December 2015
    The members in this thread are from all over Scotland but seeing as how Glasgow has the only Lego store in Scotland any meet-ups will probably be there.

On another note, no bargains anywhere today that I could find. Fingers crossed for January sales.
    I've come up empty on the bargains as well, I've been to two ASDA's and one Tesco (which was decimated of all Lego, full price to boot).  Hopefully January brings better :)
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBkiki180703
    Thanks nexander and Bobjack_Jackbob. Will keep my eyes open for details regarding the next meet up. Cheers
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBkiki180703
    Another option for a meetup might be in the Peartree in Edinburgh (http://pear-tree-house.co.uk/bar/the-counting-house/)

The landlord introduced himself to me at BRICK in London and it turns out he's a bit of a fan! He offered the upstairs room for free if we wanted to arrange an Edinburgh meet.
    khmellymelLego_Star
    I have a room in Glasgow city centre as well in the place the I (currently) run. Not too big mind
    Lego_Star
    nexander said:
    Out of curiosity, is the afol who drinks in the State bar in Glasgow a bricksetter?

Just saw this post from November. I drink in the State Bar. Could this be me? 
    Another option for a meetup might be in the Peartree in Edinburgh (http://pear-tree-house.co.uk/bar/the-counting-house/)

The landlord introduced himself to me at BRICK in London and it turns out he's a bit of a fan! He offered the upstairs room for free if we wanted to arrange an Edinburgh meet.
    I love the Peartree!
    CommanderRaab

So, Feb 6th then?

nexander said:

So, Feb 6th then?

Count me in. 
    I hope I don't have to work!  If not then I'm in :)
    Lego_Star
    edited January 2016
    A meetup on February 6th is proposed! So calling all bricksetters that are going to the Glasgow store that day. 

Tentative plans then, shopping at the brand store followed by a bit of breakfast nearby and or shopping followed by some other food and beverages depending on what suits most people timewise. I'll be in Glasgow for the day so will hope to catch up with as many people as possible. 

If you'd like to join in the fun, drop a post here on this thread (or PM if you prefer) if there is any time on the 6th that really doesn't suit you so that we can figure out what suits, numbers and hope to include everyone! 

Really looking forward to this! :o)
    Lego_Star said:
    A meetup on February 6th is proposed! So calling all bricksetters that are going to the Glasgow store that day. 

Tentative plans then, shopping at the brand store followed by a bit of breakfast nearby and or shopping followed by some other food and beverages depending on what suits most people timewise. I'll be in Glasgow for the day so will hope to catch up with as many people as possible. 

If you'd like to join in the fun, drop a post here on this thread (or PM if you prefer) if there is any time on the 6th that really doesn't suit you so that we can figure out what suits, numbers and hope to include everyone! 

Really looking forward to this! :o)
    I'm Glasgow based, so flexible with plans and timings.  That said, I do lean towards some shopping and then some food/beverages. Time wise, I'm easy and will defer to the majority. 
    Lego_Star
    Sounds good! Kitty and I will be in Glasgow that day.... though sadly not shopping as we'll be doing something else in the town centre ;-) I'll post more details when I can though and you'll all be welcome to come say hello!
    Lego_Star