Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CSV Export

Jimgag2395Jimgag2395 USAMember Posts: 3
My apologies if the answer to this is somewhere on this forum but I have searched for how to download/export the CSV file of my sets and have been unable to find any references to it. Can someone please instruct me or point me to the instructions for downloading/exporting the my sets CSV file. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Jim

Comments

• chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited November 2015
    On the Brickset.com main page, top right corner, click on the link where it shows the number of sets you have. From the new page, in the header right above your listing of sets, click on the "CSV" link on the far right. Only 100 are displayed for each page, so just copy and paste the ascii data into any text editor. Hope that helps. 
  • Jimgag2395Jimgag2395 USAMember Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply Chuck. Much appreciated.

I was hoping that I could export the data directly to an iMac or iPad as a CSV file to then be opened with Excel.
    edited November 2015
    ^ You're welcome, happy to help. I did some checking and you can also use http://brickset.com/export/ to create .csv files as well as some other formats. However, Excel would still have to import the data. I don't have Excel on my iPad, but you can do the following to get the CSV data into Excel on your iMac. 

1. Select All the data from the results (using the previous method or the export page) and click Copy from your browser. 

2. Launch Excel on your Mac and from the excel File menu, click New Workbook.

3. Paste the .csv data into A1. 

4. From the Data menu, select Text to Columns.

5. On the 1st step in the conversion wizard, select "delimited" and click Next.

6. On the 2nd step, select "comma" and click Finish if the data preview looks OK.

7. Save the file.

I'm not sure if Excel for the iPad supports File Sharing, but you can try this:

1. Connect your iPad to your Mac, open iTunes and click on the icon for your iPad.
    2. Under Settings on the left side, click on Apps. 
    3. On the right side, scroll down the Apps window to File Sharing.
    4. If Excel is listed in the in the Apps, click on it and select the file you saved in Step 7 above. 

Some apps can also open data via email, so you could also try emailing the data if you have email set up on your iPad. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 
  • Jimgag2395Jimgag2395 USAMember Posts: 3
    Thanks again Chuck! That did it. Got it nailed.

After you select CSV on the export site in Safari, it brings the file up in another window. On an iPad, whenever you have a particular file format (PDF, comma delimited, etc) displayed in Safari, you then press on the upper right corner of the displayed results and it brings up a selection that offers which app you wish to open it in. I chose Excel and presto, there it was. I then just had to save it in Excel format. 

Thanks again again! I hope I can repay the favor sometime down the road!

Cheers

Jim
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,455
    Thanks everyone for helping Jim.

One of the things the survey highlighted is that there's a need for a 'how do I/FAQ' section on the website to cover stuff like this which is a bit buried in the interface.

I'm about to start a thread to gather topics it should cover so I'll add this and invite you, and, everyone else, to suggest other topics.
    Shibchuckp
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,096
    Is there any way of exporting the whole database in one go?

I quite understand if you don't expose this functionality for various reasons.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,455
    Yes, pm me and I'll send you the when next at my PC.
    edited November 2015
    @Jimgag2395 ; Glad to hear you got the export sorted, Jim. I had no idea that iOS Safari actually recognizes and formats .csv data. Thanks for the tip. Brickset.com, it's not just fun, it's educational too. :)