Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Really Useful Boxes on sale at Office Depot.com

TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
Love these boxes for Lego and everything else.  This is about the best deal you can hope for on these.  Many sizes are on sale for about 30% off.  Not sure when it expires (hopefully not tonight, I just saw it today).

Then, you can stack with one of the below coupons:

Online codes (all are 20%)
$20 off $100 Code: 32422148
$25 off $125 Code: 15728728
$40 off $200 Code: 47473891

And to top it all off, order over $35 are free shipping

My favorite Lego sizes (i.e. just shallow enough) are the 1.75L, 4L and 8.1L sizes.
The 17L is also nice for storing holiday sets intact.
The 64L is simply the best large bin on the planet.
pharmjodSirKevbags

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited November 2015
    Thanks man.  I definitely like the look of these but even on sale I can't bring myself to spend this much. Sterlite 6quart containers are $1 a piece or less and the 16quart are often $3 or less. I have so many of these already to store my LEGO parts and I can't imagine swapping out to the much more expensive RUBs. Convince me?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I understand, and I'm not trying to convince, because even on sale, these are certainly more expensive than most others.  If you're looking to replace existing storage, you'll probably drop a few hundred.

That being said, I don't think there are sturdier storage boxes out there, and they stack very nicely, and many of the different sizes have been designed to stack amongst each other.  I particularly like the bigger ones because the sides are straight instead of tapered like many others with more room inside, and the design prevents flexing or bending.  This comes at a cost of not being able to nest them when empty.  In other words, if you have two, you have to stack them on top of each other whether they are empty or full.

Anyway, great boxes, plus love being able to easily see what's inside from all angles.
    dougtspharmjodSethro3
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    Costco has great clear plastic storage boxes - large and shoebox sized. I use both. 
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    64L Stack so nicely :-) 
    RailsTheLoneTensorkhmellymelkiki180703busumoe1
  • busumoe1busumoe1 Member Posts: 194
    I seconded what TheLoneTensor said.  In my case, I use the RUBs mainly for sealed, unopened boxes.  I stack the RUBs over six feet high and I can trust that the boxes inside are going to be in good shape. 

The standard Sterlite and Iris brands boxes are not the same.  When stacked, all the weight goes onto the lids.  I think various brands make stackable products like RUBs but then the costs goes up too.  For the larger sizes of RUBs, the sale prices + coupons are reasonable, especially when comparing to other brands of the same sizes and  features.

Side note:  what really impressed me in the beginning was the picture of a MINI Cooper resting on top of four RUBs.  I have not seen that picture since, and a quick search did not yield anything...
    TheLoneTensor
    edited November 2015

Was this it?

Plus a bonus video...

SirKevbagsbusumoe1kiki180703
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,246
    Both picture and video are impressive since thats 500+ lbs on each box, but the picture is more so since the new mini probably weighs like 1000lb more than the old.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    Can I safely order them for shipping?  I've read about issues with them arriving damaged.
    Yes?  I mean it is Office Depot, so you can initiate a return if there's any damage (like I've been having to do with Amazon more and more often these days, grr).

That said, prepare for multiple massive boxes, especially if you get the 64L ones.
    pharmjod
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Thanks for the tips! Took me awhile to find them, here is the direct link to the bigger ones:

For me,  have been using 18 gallon Rubbermade Roughneck containers, that offer about the same overall volume. They are $9. They may not be able to support a car, but they are better than a lot of the cheaper ones, and still half of what the RUBs cost. 

For me, I would need them mostly for long term storage, not really for daily usefulness where I need to see into the containers. Was fun researching this though - thanks!
    Almost every order I have received from OD/OM had damages and each time it's a hassle to get it exchanged.  However, after OD+OM merger, most stores in my area around are not very well stocked in RUBs anymore.  So online sales is usually the cheapest and best way to buy multiples.

One year I ordered 64L x 14 (it was the perfect storm of sale+coupon+multi-cashback+discounted gift cards, ended up about $10-11 each).  However, it arrived via freight, exposed to the elements.  They were covered in dust and some were yellowed from the sun.  I kept most but had to return 3.  The store thought I was trying to return used merchandise.

The 32L are too big for most packing boxes so they will either come with just a shipping label slapped on it, or they tape two boxes around each one.  Again, usually I lose one or two.

17L and 19L are usually come in boxes.  They are too snug in the standard boxes so usually don't get much protection from shipping damage.  The up side is that it is easy to figure out if they are damaged, as I will find broken pieces in the boxes.  

In the end, I think it's mostly the fault of the delivery company.  I think I have the bad luck of living near a distribution hub that employs the most disgruntle workers...

Why still buying RUBs?

I've used all kinds and in the end, I decided to stick with RUBs, Legos or other things.  I'd use sturdy cardboard boxes rather than wasting money on low-quality plastic bins.  The bins themselves are usually ok, but the flimsy lids means I usually end up with a lot of not-so-useful plastic tubs.  

I used to label boxes but once you got used to the see-through bins, just hard to go back to chore of labeling and relabeling again and again...

Of course, the last and most important reason... until I can stop hoarding, the only way to stuff more stuff into the house (without buying a new house) is to stack upward... hey, my wife wanted rooms with high-ceiling, so I'm making good use of it.

brickupdate
    Sale is through the 14th apparently.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338

Sale is through the 14th apparently.

And THANK YOU for the codes in the original post. I use these to keep organized my bagged, disassembled sets, usually using the 17L.
  • 1stflabuyer1stflabuyer Member Posts: 17
    My RUB order arrived today via trucking company. The delivery driver was nice enough to take the 6 shipping boxes to my storage room. No damage on any and they came in very sturdy boxes, perfect for shipping sets. All-in a very good deal!

Thanks to the TheLoneTensor for the discount codes.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ok, I ordered 4 each of the 1.75, 4, 8.1, and 17 liter sizes.  came it at $100.64, so $80.64 after the coupon code.

Gonna give these a test drive and see what all the fuss is about
    pharmjod
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
     I went into a local Office Depot yesterday and was able to have all the online prices and the $20 off $100 coupon matched.
    pharmjod
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 86
    Love these boxes for Lego and everything else.  This is about the best deal you can hope for on these.  Many sizes are on sale for about 30% off.  Not sure when it expires (hopefully not tonight, I just saw it today).

Then, you can stack with one of the below coupons:

Online codes (all are 20%)
    $20 off $100 Code: 32422148
    $25 off $125 Code: 15728728
    $40 off $200 Code: 47473891

#TheLoneTensor,
    what were the sale prices of the RUBs.?  I believe I missed the sale but I am not sure.  I like that the boxes are not tapered and that the lid does not take the weight.  Good find.  How often are the sales?
    The sale prices were 30% off select styles.  How often?  No clue, they just happen.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 560
    This week's ad (11/15-21) is advertising sizes 9L and larger are buy 2 get one free (pg 8).
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 86
    edited November 2015
    Thanks
    @TheLoneTensor  and @SirBen 
    I had some time on my hands and created this tracking sheet for RUB pricing at Office Depot.  I will monitor the sales but it looks like the Buy 2 Get 1 Free is slightly better than 30% off.  I hope this helps all those RUB fans out there.

• JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
    Is the B2G1 working online or just in stores? If the promotion is only in store, than the 20% combining offer is unlikely 
    edited November 2015
    In store, OD/OM will accept coupons in combination with the deal.  I've done it many times before.  The problem is that you won't get as good of a deal if you plan to "mix and match" with B2G1, thus 30% off online sometimes can be a better deal. 

Say if you have a $10 off $50 coupon, then you'd have buy enough so that it's over $50 but at the same time, trying to stay as close to $50 for maximum savings.  If you buy all of the same type, every 3rd item will be free.  If you have 3x of one type and 3x of another type, the 2 free items will be the lowest priced items.

TheLoneTensor
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 560
    While on a trip to Office Depot for work I found select colors (red, yellow, aqua and green) of the small 0.14L size boxes on Clearance for $0.14 apiece!

I found the boxes marked at Office Depot, none in stock at the second store in town, and a good quantity unmarked at the Office Max the next town over.