Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Value of foreign LEGO VIP Points?

ButchaButcha New ZealandMember Posts: 45
Hi all,

As others may have noticed, it seems VIP points have a slightly different value in each country. For example, say I have 1000 VIP points in NZ, I get $75NZ reward. But those same VIP points in the UK are worth £50, which is $115NZ. Thats an extra 53%.

So my question is, has anyone ever traded VIP points between countries to maximise your reward? 
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this.

Also, if you're in the UK and would be interested in being part of such an experiment, feel free to let me know :)

Cheers

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,029
    Yes. Bought items in USA, spend points in UK.

100 points from $100 spend in US, netting £5 discount in UK.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,233
    edited November 2015
    I'm an expat from Canada, living in the UK, and I accumulated a fair few points in CAD/USD (US and Canada often share rewards programs so not really a big thing) before 2011, as I hadn't spent any since joining the programme in 2009.

However, in 2011 I moved to the UK, and because it was actually quite a fast move, didn't even THINK about the points that I "left behind" in Canada.  I chalked it up to a cost from the move.  It wasn't until December (I moved in June) that I went onto [email protected] UK and decided to purchase a Star Wars advent calendar, where, to my surprise, I was able to redeem my points, on a 1/1 basis.  So $1=£1.  Fab!

Now when I return home for visits I always make sure to bring my VIP card.  It's like a little extra thing I look forward to when I do!
  • ButchaButcha New ZealandMember Posts: 45
    Interesting! Would anyone in the UK be interested in using my VIP points? I can get sets delivered to your door in the UK and give you 10% off - we'd both win! ;)
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,430
    Ugh.  I can only image TLG seeing this post and, BAM!.  BYE BYE VIP program...
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    So ordering sets to different addresses is a sure fire way to get yourself flagged as a reseller and unable to purchase. I'd imagine they would quite happily ban the person receiving too. Not to mention the impact of lego stopping anyone from collecting points abroad in the future.
    William_Townsleykiki180703khmellymel
  • ButchaButcha New ZealandMember Posts: 45
    Right, so you guys would say it's not a good plan?
    I was just curious, as I don't see why VIP points can't be a market like any other currency. I mean let's be honest, VIP points are a 5% discount, if you're strategically upping that to 7.5%, it's hardly much for them to get too concerned about. But maybe you guys have a point, we wouldn't want to get anyone banned..
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Lego watches these forums and takes action against things we bring to there attention. Using VIP points as a currency would surely get their attention. As a curiosity I find it interesting they have a different value around the globe. But I don't recommend exploiting it, because these days, all good things seem to come to an end.  
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    That might how you define 'value'. What happens if you take a range of sets, whatever the cost in the local currency, and then look at what set that would give you as a freebie by using the points?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,029
    How many points are you thinking of using up?