Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What's you experience of claiming for damage to LEGO sets off the delivery company?

alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 515
edited November 2015 in Buying & Selling Topics

I recently sold a new sealed set on ebay.  It was well packed in a cardboard box with air bubble packing but arrived at the buyers crushed and dented and so they didn't want it.  Looking at the photos from the buyer the outer box had been damaged badly which must have caused the damage to the set box.  The set contents are all OK.  It was fully insured for the selling price and signed for.  I've made a claim with the delivery company but they say the don't compensate for the outer packaging.

Has anyone else had this experience?  It's a UK company delivering within the UK.

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2015
    Well you're not claiming for damage to the outer box. You said the box inside was damaged so that is your claim surely. 
    SlapNutskiki180703
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    They signed for the box.  They accepted the package in the condition it was in.  It's on them to file the claim, not you.
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    When accepting deliveries you should open them while the delivery person waits for the signature, especially if you can see that the condition of the parcel leaves a lot to be desired.
    Then you can refuse to accept the parcel due to the condition.

Once you have signed you will be lucky to get anything.
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 891
    edited November 2015
    A couple of years ago I sold a Lego set on eBay which was delivered by Hermes. The Outer box got damaged and dented the Lego box (not major mind you!). I made a claim and got a full refund for the entire cost of the Lego set and delivery! 

Of course the buyer had signed for the delivery so I'm not sure the claim is true that if you sign, then you're accepting the damage. 

Pursue the case with the company and state the damage is to the Lego box. The courier has a responsibility to take care of the item and not damage it in any way.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 842
    When I have delivered things as a courier (normally Air Freight to companies), if I get a signature then the customer has accepted the delivery in the condition it arrives in. Sometimes it may get signed as "Contents not checked" which may give a little wriggle room if a claim arises. 

Of course if the customer pursues a claimback via Paypal they may get Paypal on their side and the claim upheld. 
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 778
    Dedgecko said:
    They signed for the box.  They accepted the package in the condition it was in.  It's on them to file the claim, not you.
    A common misconception. No contract ever existed between the customer and the shipping agent.
    cheshirecat
  • alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 515
    Thanks for the feedback all. @msanders it was Hermes so I'll try your approach - thanks.
  • richlrichl Member Posts: 241
    Last time I had a Lego set shipped to me, it ended up in pieces. I had to put the whole thing back together again.
    kiki180703William_TownsleyricecakekhmellymelpreveremampepinMorkMan
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    @richl, very drole! :-)
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 977
    You have to go after the shipping company.  They are not just going to roll over and say, " we are sorry, here is your money".   They will deny, deny, deny.   Here in the US, UPS and FedEX will even go as far as saying your box wasn't DOT approved, you didn't use proper tape, your internal packaging was dunnage not protective, etc, etc.  You need to respond and not go away, which is exactly what they what you to do.

Right or wrong, contract or no contract, it is going to come down to: 1) they pay for the damage to make you go away, or 2) you go away on your own.   I deal with this in my business more then I would like.  And yes, the fact that the package was accepted makes it harder.