Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What would/could push you out of the hobby of collecting LEGO, and send you in to another Dark Age?

13»

Comments

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    ^ Sorry to have been part of your first collection disbursement. You can have them all back for an 83 Old Cutlass Hurst L.E.! 

By the way, I was just looking the Brick Journal which had your ISD write-up. At the end of the article, you said you were working on something new. Did/will that ever materialize now that your back in the fold?
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,376
    ^ Sold!  I'll take it!

(I'll be happy hand deliver the SSD...)
    dougts
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    I think I'm getting close to the point.  LEGO just isn't really releasing sets that interest me much anymore.  Every year since about 2013 it gets less and less, it seems.  That said, I still have plenty of bricks at home, and I don't intend to give up LEGO as a hobby.  But my buying /collecting habits are waning already.
    Rsa33youpunkbinaryeye
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    Patrik78 said:
    My answer - somehow losing my collection. Would never go through the nightmare to rebuild it again and find a motivation to start over without all of my precious retired sets :(
    *winces* Yeah, and I must admit Lego is something I never considered when buying home/contents insurance - not that I'm some large-scale collector like a lot of you guys; most of my stuff was acquired in my childhood and teens, but heaven help me if anything ever happened to it, because the cost of replacing those specific sets secondhand would make it impossible. 

Other than losing it or having to sell it due to external factors, I don't see myself ever losing interest - there's always been periods when it lay fallow in my heart in favour of music or comics or videogames or some other hobby, but then I'll find myself spending two hours greedily haunting the auctions about to end on Ebay, or digging into my first wave Star Wars sets when I'm visiting my mother, and it's game on again...
    Amanda1983
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    catwrangler said:

I must admit Lego is something I never considered when buying home/contents insurance
    I hope you realise that if you're under-insured, you're usually under-insured for everything. In the event of a loss, you can't turn around and say that some things were insured and other things were not. The assessors will value everything and compare that with the insurance value. If it's more, they'll pay proportionately less.
    Amanda1983
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    richselby said:
    Storage! We plan to get our loft converted into a proper bedroom. My Lego collection will be the principal victim.  I don't know about a new Dark Age, but my ability to collect will be rather curtailed. Will have to operate a strict one-in one-out policy, just like a pub on New Year's Eve.

Rich, I think you hit it the nail on the head for many of us. Eventually you just start running out of room to build and display LEGO much less store it. And it is very hard to part with. Those of us who have built up large collections face this problem every day. Even our new LEGO rooms fill up at some point. And it takes too much work to manage a huge collection leaving little time for enjoyment. 

It seems that many of us will have to collect fewer themes and dispose of some of our goodies if we are to enjoy them again. I project that we will see a massive increase in trades and selling by AFOL's trying to get a handle on their collections due to space, time and energy limitations. And the themes we adore will change over time requiring us to unload those we no longer collect. Good luck with your one-in one-out policy!
    spepper1265catwranglerTXLegoguyAmanda1983
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I think I'm getting close to the point.  LEGO just isn't really releasing sets that interest me much anymore.  Every year since about 2013 it gets less and less, it seems.  That said, I still have plenty of bricks at home, and I don't intend to give up LEGO as a hobby.  But my buying /collecting habits are waning already.
    I hear you.  2016 looks like the least interesting year to me by far.  Maybe there will be an interesting theme in the 2nd half of the year I haven't heard of yet, but as of now - nothing, outside of a few Expert and UCS sets.  Not a single theme I'm interested in for the first time since my dark ages ended.
    Rsa33
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    TigerMoth said:
    catwrangler said:

I must admit Lego is something I never considered when buying home/contents insurance
    I hope you realise that if you're under-insured, you're usually under-insured for everything. In the event of a loss, you can't turn around and say that some things were insured and other things were not. The assessors will value everything and compare that with the insurance value. If it's more, they'll pay proportionately less.
    Thanks for the tip. Looks like it's time to do a proper household inventory and put the premiums up...
    Amanda1983
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    I've recently decided to end my Lego hobby. Two main reasons:
    1. There aren't any sets on the horizon that appeal to me, and
    2. I have the sets I originally came out of my dark age for, plus a few extra. Namely UCS Falcon, UCS ISD, Death Star, the full MOC of Marx Rover, and most recently Arvo Bros MOC of Kaneda's nike from Akira to cap off my collection. All amazing models which I'll display over the years in my home.
    I now need to decide what to do with my other sets which are packed away. Most likely will give them to the kids in my extended family when they're old enough.

Amanda1983
    bkpr said:

I've recently decided to end my Lego hobby.
    To potentially save yourself a fortune, sit on it for a while. Do nothing. You may already have. If you came out of a second dark age, how much do you think it would cost, in a few years time, to buy those "essentials" again?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929
    edited December 2015
    What does "end hobby" mean? End your Lego buying hobby, or end your hobby completely. If you are keeping lots and displaying them, then to me your are not ending your hobby. You are just in a low buying period. I'm not buying a huge amount now, mainly as I like "grey" (castle) sets and historical. Lego don't make them any more, so I'm not buying. If they make them in future I probably will buy again if they are good enough.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    I would give up LEGO if it no longer feels or works like LEGO ought.
    Right now, I am in a generally low period for purchases. The majority of purchases are for my boys. There are not too many sets anymore which appeal to me personally.

Good Stuff: Some of the CMFs (mostly historical) and the 'Advanced Model' (Expert) series are good. The Airjitzu Temple is a great surprise, like the Fire Temple was several years ago.The Creator sets right now seem to be the strong sets on design and play value right now.

Bad Stuff: How many Quinjets/Javelins/Avenjets/Batwings do they need to make without any locational value in the Super Heroes line? SW has mostly had the same problem - vehicles but few places, and then the places are too sparse.

STICKERS IN EXPENSIVE SETS. Sorry to yell there, but this is where they lose me on big purchaes.The notion that I would pay hundreds of dollars for a set that has stickers, but a CMF's tarot cards (random example) are printed is ridiculous. The idea that it makes the set even more expensive is not really true with today's printing technology. To change the design sprayed onto a 2x2 tile requires a software update and (maybe) a switch in color lines to the printer. Stickers are a lazy way to cut costs on what is supposed to be a premium product.
    The stickers for Arkham Asylum's title were impossible to get perfectly aligned. I can't imagine the nightmare I will have if the Ghostbusters set is full of stickers, to the point that I wouldn't purchase it if I know that all of the iconic aspects of the set will be crooked or might peel. And we know that it is possible to avoid stickers (Kwik-E-Mart).
    CCCkiki180703TXLegoguyAmanda1983
    STICKERS IN EXPENSIVE SETS. Sorry to yell there, but this is where they lose me on big purchaes.The notion that I would pay hundreds of dollars for a set that has stickers, but a CMF's tarot cards (random example) are printed is ridiculous. The idea that it makes the set even more expensive is not really true with today's printing technology. To change the design sprayed onto a 2x2 tile requires a software update and (maybe) a switch in color lines to the printer. Stickers are a lazy way to cut costs on what is supposed to be a premium product.
    Nobody likes stickers.

However, don't spoil your case by over-simplifying things. For a kick-off, anything I've seen printed isn't sprayed on, but contact printed which is a whole lot of extra work, both in preparation and production. That might be justified if TLG can see a future use in other sets, but not if it's a limited run. You then have got a whole new part to store and manage across a number of plants around the world. Anybody can knock up a single sheet of stickers, anywhere in the world; if half a dozen printed parts have to come from Kladno, it's a different ball-game.
    Aanchirkiki180703catwranglerAmanda1983
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,927
    @sonsofsceva: I think part of the problem with Super Heroes sets not including enough locations is that there aren't a lot of iconic locations in those super hero brands, and those there are usually aren't very consistent between appearances. Same with Star Wars, to an extent, minus the consistency issue — the vehicles and characters are just more iconic and "toyetic" than most of the locations.
    TigerMoth said:
    Nobody likes stickers.
    I like stickers! Most of the time, anyway. Of course, there are some parts that printing is definitely better for. Such as dome-shaped surfaces (obviously), the sides of plates (like in the Minecraft micro worlds), minifigure parts, or really tight curves (like a 1x1 round brick). And STAMPs (Stickers Across Multiple Pieces) are definitely always unfortunate, even in cases like corporate logos (Maersk ship and train) where they can't be avoided.

I also have some pet peeves about how I think stickers SHOULD be. I don't like round stickers that don't have any kind of easy guide marks to help you apply them at the right angle. And I prefer for stickers to approach the edges of a part to make lining them up easier. A good example of a sticker that breaks both of these rules is the tail fin sticker on #3367 Space Shuttle. The tail fin stickers of #70816 are another example. Realistically, both of these examples could have been corrected if they'd just had the sticker cut out in the shape of the tail fin itself instead of in the shape of the insignia.

When I was growing up in the 90s, my dad would apply stickers for me. Back then there were a lot more STAMPs (which he'd sometimes separate for me with a craft knife). So in my eyes applying stickers was always a very "grown-up" thing to do, and I was really proud when I was finally old enough and experienced enough to apply them myself. That's probably part of why I like stickers so much — applying them gives me a sense of accomplishment. I was actually really surprised upon joining the AFOL community that so many AFOLs considered stickers a bad thing for any set to have.
    kiki180703snowhitieAmanda1983
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I kind of already am in my second dark ages.  I haven't bought a set in almost 4 or 5 months. For me getting into the reselling part of the hobby dimished the joy.  Look forward to selling off the rest of my inventory eventually and never having to pack another Lego set ever again.
    kiki180703FollowsCloselyAmanda1983
    Aanchir said:

TigerMoth said:
    Nobody likes stickers.
    I like stickers!
    Does that make you a nobody? :-)

Or just the exception that proves the rule?

FWIW, some people swear by using water to limit the "stick" until you've got them in exactly the right place.
    Amanda1983
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    If Lego forced @Huw to remove the broken piece thread. 
    SumoLegoDedgeckoRainstorm26BlueTacokiki180703
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    edited January 2016
    ^I really think that thread was useful.  The trend of that thread was very interesting.  The number of posts would spike after Christmas with everyone building new sets they received or bought.  Then the rest of the year it would be pretty quiet.  Except for all the cheese slopes and one guy who had every piece on almost every set crack on him.
    SumoLegoDedgeckokiki180703Amanda1983
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    ecmo47 said:
    ^ Sorry to have been part of your first collection disbursement. You can have them all back for an 83 Old Cutlass Hurst L.E.! 

By the way, I was just looking the Brick Journal which had your ISD write-up. At the end of the article, you said you were working on something new. Did/will that ever materialize now that your back in the fold?
    I don't know why I didn't see this sooner. Meh, it happens on selling the sets, and no don't have that car lol.

i am working on something new, Star Wars related of course. Keeping it under wraps for now....a lot of Bricklink orders. Hoping to have it done in time for BrickFair VA. 
    Amanda1983terfsten
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 863
    I'm actually losing some interest right now, because Lego is getting so expensive, and also because it's hard to get some of the larger sets here in Malaysia, thanks to resellers who magically clean out shops within hours every single time they restock.

These stores don't do reservations, so by the time I finish work most days, everything is gone. I can't even get some minifigures even though there are about 20 stores around me selling them, because they keep getting cleaned out within an hour or two while I'm stuck at work.

And don't even get me started on the Brick Bank or Ghostbusters Headquarters. Even those get bought up by resellers here as soon as they get put on shelves. I'm honestly not exaggerating. The situation is getting a little ridiculous here.
    Amanda1983
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    Losing some interest as well. My main issues are:
    • Noticeable worsening in quality (more cracked bricks and minifig torsos)
    • Significant price increases for larger sets
    • Swamping of the market in certain themes, often with quite insipid sets (the comment about Superhero vehicles above was well made)
    • Practices seemingly designed to fuel an aftermarket from a company that professes to not like reselling. For example, in the UK, you could only get the Winter Soldier if you bought the Helicarrier during the month of release. That seemed ill thought through. I don't mind limiting access to more exclusive polys (such as the Star Wars day figs) but requiring a £270 spend in such a short window put Winter Soldier out of reach for most. 
    catwranglerkiki180703Amanda1983
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    I find it rather humorous of all the likes the "The Wife" post recieved.

I went througha dark period for about a year almost a couple years ago. Liquidized 90% of my collection to fund another expensive hobby, muscle car. Ended up buying and selling two muscle cars and then refocused on rebuilding my collection. Took about a year to rebuild a majority of my collection. Was not able to fund another USC Falcon or SSDx2,  but thats ok...for now. Once done, bought another sports car and now working a balance to keep both at the moment. I guess whats helps is building MOCs, even though I do not have a lot of time to do it and when I do I usually end up doing something else.
    I'm in the same boat, I love my cars.

I started buying Lego for my son and very quickly got caught up in the fun. In approximately 2 years I have amassed quite a haul.

As the weather improves though, Lego will (and is) take a back seat in favour of tinkering with my 87 and 88 VW Golfs. A friend of mine has recently carried out a 2.0 16v conversion and I need the same ASAP.

I will still continue to buy bits of Lego here and there but, only when it comes to me. I will no longer trawl the shops for every deal.

I say all this while a huge Part of me is screaming out for a modular building.

@ISDAvenger - should the worse happen and the rear of your car gets smashed in, please pop the smooshed RS3 in a box and send it to me. That 5 cylinder turbo would be insane in one of my old ladies.
    catwranglerkiki180703Amanda1983
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278
    As long as TLG keeps making compelling sets (for the tastes of my kids and myself), I don't see many things on the horizon to throw me off.

I have never had quality issues that bugged me. At most, the colour variations in the Detective's Office light blue bricks seemed strange to me, but not annoyingly so.
    No cracked pieces, missing pieces, distorted pieces or problems with instructions or boxes. Plus the service quality of Lego store personnel. All great imho.

The only thing that bugs me is that the US [email protected] RRPs are quite often so much cheaper than over here. But I have come to accept that as a side effect of Lego (especially Star Wars and all the superhero series sets) being so popular there.
    Amanda1983ethanjwall
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    Aanchir said:
    youpunk said:

The lack of basic bricks at a reasonable prices will definitely drive me out of collecting Lego.  Currently the Modular creator sets are the best way to get basic bricks in a good quantities at good prices.  As Lego continues to raise the prices with the Creator line and add more specialized pieces to these models will this continue to be the case? 

Where are you from? I'm not sure if #10697 has been released globally, but it seems to offer an incredible selection of basic bricks for a very reasonable price.

But what if they are mostly after colors that could be used in stuff like buildings? Most of the bulk boxes have a variety of colors but not enough of one color to do much with.

For me, i have enough bulk basic to do general goofing around building but i had to do 2 orders of  2xX parts(plus misc stuff) from a guy via trading about 3 months back to be able to do more minecraft with since that uses a lot of greys and browns. And i still need an order of Grooved bricks and 1x1 w/ handles to finish the mine i built from parts in my collection. And i can use some extra brick hinges in grey and brown since i used up my grey and browns when i was recreating the desert outpost.

Amanda1983
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,711
    #10697 came up as available for local pickup from Walmart today again, ordered for the 4th time. Now waiting to see if they cancel the order for the 4th time...
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,051
    @Renny said:
    ...For me getting into the reselling part of the hobby dimished the joy...
    ^ Same here. Having 1,000 of sealed sets sitting in storage takes the wonder away. I look at a set now and see the investment potential, and that about it. I can't recall the last time I saw a set and wanted to build it.

If Lego came out with a Falcon like marshal banana's I would bite. I want bigger and better than what Lego is offering now. Teh current lineup bores me.

FollowsClosely said:

I want bigger and better than what Lego is offering now. Teh current lineup bores me.
    So go and build it.

That's what distinguishes construction toys from model kits.
    Oldfankiki180703Amanda1983
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,089
    Due to a limitation of space, I find myself taking more and more of my displays out of circulation  and aim to go UCS only (almost all SW - but I also have the Tumbler, and the VW Camper Van). The GB HQ is very enticing, i'll almost certainly be buying it when I can make a saving against RRP and/or there's a really good freebie on the go.

It also seems like an eternity passes between the sets that really make me want to part with my cash.

It's definitely quality over quantity for me from now on.

Speaking of quality... My missus made her first solo Lego purchase the other day - the Berlin Architecture set. Once built, the Deutsche Bahn tower displays some horrendous colour variation on the curved black pieces that make up its front face, some of them are halfway between DBG and proper black.
    Amanda1983
    edited January 2016
    ^ Same here. Having 1,000 of sealed sets sitting in storage takes the wonder away. I look at a set now and see the investment potential, and that about it. I can't recall the last time I saw a set and wanted to build it.
    That sounds really sad. Just what I imagine resellers to be. Just about the money, not about what Lego really means. What about the joy of building the sets? Why hoard 1,000 of sealed sets? I got thrashed in another thread for my rant about this (my disgust about resellers), but this post by FollowsClosely I thinks says it all. They have lost all connection to why there is Lego in the first place - to enjoy it (be it for playing with it or collecting special sets).
    I really feel sorry for people like this who can't see the fun/joy potential in a Lego set, but just potential Dollar bills. Again, so sad.
    LusiferSamTXLegoguyJern92kiki180703Amanda1983
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Your other rant got pooped on because you came across in a manner that was generalizing, ignorant, condescending and sanctimonious...just like this one :)
    dougtspharmjodDedgeckoThanos751265SumoLegojadeirenekiki180703
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    edited January 2016
    AllBrick said:
    I find it rather humorous of all the likes the "The Wife" post recieved.

I went througha dark period for about a year almost a couple years ago. Liquidized 90% of my collection to fund another expensive hobby, muscle car. Ended up buying and selling two muscle cars and then refocused on rebuilding my collection. Took about a year to rebuild a majority of my collection. Was not able to fund another USC Falcon or SSDx2,  but thats ok...for now. Once done, bought another sports car and now working a balance to keep both at the moment. I guess whats helps is building MOCs, even though I do not have a lot of time to do it and when I do I usually end up doing something else.
    I'm in the same boat, I love my cars.

I started buying Lego for my son and very quickly got caught up in the fun. In approximately 2 years I have amassed quite a haul.

As the weather improves though, Lego will (and is) take a back seat in favour of tinkering with my 87 and 88 VW Golfs. A friend of mine has recently carried out a 2.0 16v conversion and I need the same ASAP.

I will still continue to buy bits of Lego here and there but, only when it comes to me. I will no longer trawl the shops for every deal.

I say all this while a huge Part of me is screaming out for a modular building.

@ISDAvenger - should the worse happen and the rear of your car gets smashed in, please pop the smooshed RS3 in a box and send it to me. That 5 cylinder turbo would be insane in one of my old ladies.
    @allbrick I should have clarified what a RS3 is for you overseas chaps and those stateside that are unfamiler with the term. It is a 2013 Ford Mustang Roush Stage 3. It is a V8 Supercharged Engine. Mine is currently pushing 675 horsepower at the crank, which equates to around 600 rear wheel horsepower (RWHP). I think that engine might be a bit big for your VW.
    AllBrickkiki180703
    edited January 2016
    Guess what @AustinPowers ?  I have  100s of sealed sets for resale.  I resell them to support my personal purchases of LEGO.  I enjoy LEGO immenselfy.  I would never have started reselling if I wasn't personally passionate about collecting LEGO.  I wouldn't read these forums every day if I wasn't personally passionate about it.  I might enjoy LEGO 10 times more than you do - who knows?  So take your argumentative personal attacks elsewhere, ok? I'm pretty confident that @FollowsClosely  is none of the things you just accused him of being, and I know for sure I'm not.

I feel sorry for YOU, since apparently you let how others choose to spend their time and money affect YOU personally in such a negative manner.  You really should try to focus more on yourself and less on others.  Life is much happier that way.
    pharmjodTheLoneTensorThanos75Bumblepantskiki180703
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I feel sorry that you ran out of room to spell CINEMA.
    DedgeckoricecakedougtsBumblepantsYodaliciouskiki180703catwranglerAmanda1983
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,376
    It's supposed to say 'fettucine'.  The photo is cut-off.

Mmmm... fettucine.
    BumblepantsYodaliciouskiki180703catwranglerAmanda1983
    Your other rant got pooped on because you came across in a manner that was generalizing, ignorant, condescending and sanctimonious...just like this one :)

Oh come on, I tried my best not to be generalizing this time - especially as I was talking only about FollowsClosely and his comment.
    edited January 2016
    dougts said:
    Guess what @AustinPowers ?  I have  100s of sealed sets for resale.  I resell them to support my personal purchases of LEGO.  I enjoy LEGO immenselfy.  I would never have started reselling if I wasn't personally passionate about collecting LEGO.  I wouldn't read these forums every day if I wasn't personally passionate about it.  I might enjoy LEGO 10 times more than you do - who knows?  So take your argumentative personal attacks elsewhere, ok? I'm pretty confident that @FollowsClosely  is none of the things you just accused him of being, and I know for sure I'm not.

I feel sorry for YOU, since apparently you let how others choose to spend their time and money affect YOU personally in such a negative manner.  You really should try to focus more on yourself and less on others.  Life is much happier that way.

Guess what @dougts? I wasn't commenting on you. I was talking about FollowsClosely's comment and the situation he described!
    In what way did I personally attack anyone? You really have a strange way of reading things into this. I didn't attack you personally, or FollowsClosely, or anyone else for that matter.

What is the matter with some of you? Here is someone who says he can't enjoy Lego anymore, but only judge sets by their investment value. I comment on this by saying that I find that proposition/situation/state of mind very sad. Nothing more, nothing less. I even said that the joy of Lego can either be playing with it or collecting.
    I really do think there is a distinct difference between collecting for pleasure and hoarding for resale. FollowsClosely himself said in his post that he can't enjoy Lego anymore as a toy. At least that is how his post came across.

And by the way, I didn't say he himself (is gender even the question) was a sad person, I just said that I find such a situation sad, where one can't enjoy a toy for what is was meant anymore.

Sure there are resellers for all kinds of stuff, and I don't care about what they sell or why they do it in the context of this thread. Again, all I said was that I find a situation like the one FollowsClosely described (very) sad. If that is not enough to clarify, I don't know what is.
    Amanda1983
    It's not sad at all. Over the past two years I have used my free time in a more productive fashion. I have finished my basement, and am now in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I have also exercised much more consistently. As with most hobbies, they fade and are overtaken with new passions and projects.

I still enjoy having have Lego in the house, we have over 500K pieces still (down from well over 1M) and 150 sets down from 400+.

Most of my enjoyment comes from playing with my kids as I no longer build by myself. However, it the right set comes along (UCS MF .v2)...

Please don't feel sorry for me! I am enjoying life more than ever!

@FollowsClosely: very impressive accomplishments. And please accept my apologies if you felt personally "attacked" by me like dougts suggested. It was not at all my intention to do that. Very sorry if my comments about your other post got misunderstood. I never meant to say that you were a sad person or that I would feel sorry for you.

All that I tried to express was my feeling that the sentiment "not being able to enjoy Lego sets but just see them for their resale value" was very sad imho. For all I know you yourself might be the greatest person in the world, I just can't judge that. What I can say is that you are a very impressive home improvement guy. Why do I get the image of Al Borland floating through my head just now ;-)

No hard feelings, ok? Peace @y'all.
    FollowsCloselykiki180703Amanda1983
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 512
    I don't think I'll ever have a second dark age--in fact, my first one was more like a very restless, disturbed sleep. Instead I may have to stop buying sets, partly because I already have more than I can display and partly because new ones, although still very attractive, seem to be getting more and more expensive. They are also more and more detailed, more and more clever, and so forth--but sooner or later I will no longer find them worth the money. That won't stop me enjoying what I have, though!
    Amanda1983
    @Renny said:
    ...For me getting into the reselling part of the hobby dimished the joy...

I don't have that many in storage, but feel almost the same. It's a bit sad when the most exciting set coming along is a three in one creator animals set. Although as for the past animal sets, it looks very nice.

But my main interests are historical and fantasy and lego doesn't really seem to be catering for that any more. No castle, no LOTR/Hobbit, no ancient history as suggested by characters in the CMF line. So I MOC rather than buy official sets.
    Amanda1983
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    As much as I would love to blame reselling for people loosing their enjoyment of LEGO I suspect it would have happened anyway, its just part of the flow of life. There are plenty of us who have never got into reselling that have left the hobby too and as @dougts says there are plenty that still build and resell and have done for years. 

At the moment the UK price gouging by LEGO is pissing me off but probably not enough to push me from the hobby. The GBP-EUR rate hasn't been 1.1 for almost 5 years, its been rock solidly over 1.3 for a year yet LEGO continue to screw us over. Makes me more determined and even happier when I manage to stick to a taget 40% off RRP (27% is so last season).

Generally as a family we're sticking to larger sets, Ewok village, TFA MF, F40, ferris wheel etc. and its amazing how much more enjoyable (and cheaper) it is than large numbers of smaller city and other theme sets that eventually end up as clutter.
    FollowsCloselykiki180703catwranglerAmanda1983
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,070

Generally as a family we're sticking to larger sets, Ewok village, TFA MF, F40, ferris wheel etc. and its amazing how much more enjoyable (and cheaper) it is than large numbers of smaller city and other theme sets that eventually end up as clutter.
    This is so true. I get much more enjoyment from a single D2C set than I would twice the money spent on pile of small sets.
    tallblocktoodougtskiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    I feel sorry that you ran out of room to spell CINEMA.
    No, it's intentional. When his wife comes through the door she is Ma.

@ISDAvenger - Ahh I see, not an Audi RS3 then. Not to worry, I'll just have to do this instead..

FollowsCloselykiki180703Amanda1983
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    dougts said:
    I enjoy LEGO immenselfy.
    Someone please post a MEME to help me understand what this is...
    vwong19Amanda1983
    Brew said:
    dougts said:
    I enjoy LEGO immenselfy.
    Someone please post a MEME to help me understand what this is...

GothamConstructionCoBumblepantsdougtskhmellymelkiki180703DedgeckoSumoLegovwong19Amanda1983
    Surely it's more like...

DedgeckoSumoLegovwong19
    edited January 2016
    Or perhaps....

SumoLegovwong19
    When I went back and re-read my comment last night (long after the 5 minute edit window), I just KNEW someone was going to turn this typo into a thing.

Glad to see you didn't all let me down!
    FollowsCloselykiki180703SumoLegovwong19Amanda1983