Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What type of collector are you?

2»

Comments

• ethanjwallethanjwall United StatesMember Posts: 118
    Oh, and I had most of the Lone Ranger sets :) And by the way, I've gotten most of my parts and sets from my uncles, mom, dad, brothers, and sisters :D
    I'm also into modulars but at the moment don't have the funds to support that big of a set :D and I'm trying to stay away from the Star Wars for the moment. I don't want to get sucked in! All my money will be gonnneeeeeee :D
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    You have 3.5 million pieces but don't want to get sucked in?

I have around 300,000 pieces so i cant begin to imagine how much room that takes up.
    kiki180703
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    you had ?
    You have 3.5 million pieces but don't want to get sucked in?

I have around 300,000 pieces so i cant begin to imagine how much room that takes up.

@SuperTramp: Yeah, what I meant was that I don't want to get into Star Wars much more because #1 I don't have enough room and #2 I don't have the money! And as I said before, I've inherited most of my Lego sets. and @brumey, I still have them all :) I just misused grammar, sorry 'bout that :) 
    And most of them are just broken now :) Oh, @SuperTramp: I have about 15 giant rubbermaids filled to the brim with Legos :) and 8 full cabinets and a giant cubbyhole filled with all of my most important sets :P
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,443
    Oh, and I had most of the Lone Ranger sets :) And by the way, I've gotten most of my parts and sets from my uncles, mom, dad, brothers, and sisters :D
    most of your parts? must be a family of seriously hardcore AFOLs
    kiki180703
    @Fauch: Yes, at one point they were! :) Not so much any more, but they've passed the tradition on to me! At least I have a nephew that I can give some Legos to to him to free up room around my house :D
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,418
    I call bs.
    brumeyA.Brickovskykiki180703Briking
  • NuruodoNuruodo Italy, RomeMember Posts: 26
    I only collect Star Wars themed sets. I don't buy UCS, because they are disproportioned looking standard sets; and also because they are very expensive, and being released just few times a year many vehicles can't be represented. During years I collected a lot of City, and also Power Miners, Agents and other themes.

I love building what I buy and exposing it. I also like disposing sets one near other, because the best Lego feature is that it gives you the subject, then you can give free space to imagination. 
    I collect mostly from fantasy themes, ninjago, castle, space, licensed themes as well... only sets that appeal to me, I don't need every single one from the line, so often it will be just the flagship. I display them by theme also. though, not exactly what some of you may consider "by theme", for example pirates and pirates of the carribean are displayed together. I don't mind mixing them a bit.
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    Bit of a mixed bag for me.  I don't have any firm themes and only collect what appeals to me.  I made a conscious decision to stay away from modulars when I first got into the hobby mainly because I just don't have the space to display them.

My main interests were LOTR, Hobbit and Monster Fighters but obviously they're all retired now.  I've also got a number of the larger Star Wars original trilogy sets from the last year or two.

I now collect any figures which are Halloween oriented and anything else set wise which takes my fancy. Next year I'll be picking up a number of the series 15 CMFs and the Carbon Freezing Chamber.  I had my eye on the Ghostbusters HQ but I suspect it'll be too big so I'll have to give it a miss.  
    kiki180703
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,045
    mmozzano said:
    I had my eye on the Ghostbusters HQ but I suspect it'll be too big so I'll have to give it a miss.
    No set is too big when you see the Taj Mahal ;)
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBSalamalex
    I don't have it but it doesn't seem too big when you see the dimensions of tower bridge or super star destroyer.
  • AltairAltair FranceMember Posts: 50
    I only collect LOTR and SW-OT sets (at least this puts a limit to my Legoholic behavior!)
    SumoLego
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 275
    Started out like so many others with SW sets, and the virus has spread uncontrollably to just about any theme excepting duplo, juniors, bionicle/hero factory, and mindstorms (had EV3 lying around for over a year and just didn't get into it - so a neighbor's son will hopefully be a very happy kid in a few days).

The only redeeming factor concerning my self control right now is not collecting marvel/DC sets (well, I do have a few...) and pirates (well, I do have...)

So basically I'm a pretty hopeless collector, no strategy other than throwing my money into TLGs' hands. A bank direct debit account would really be the easiest solution with them...

• DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 858
    I am a collector that opens sets and takes the mf and builds the sets I like. Personally, I don't like keeping sets in box because I'm not a box collector I am a Lego collector. 

Recently getting a new hobby, I decided to restrict what I collect even more. I currently only collect UCS sw, certain sw mf, Mf from the super heroes line, the ninjago ninjas, exclusive super heroes sets, and a few cmf mf. Random sets are almost non existent for me now. The set has  to be amazing for me to get it.
    kiki180703TXLegoguy
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 128

Nothing specific,any set I like basicly.

Most important for me is that I like the subject and the design . The design has to be good,almost perfect. A bad design can easily put me of a set I would have bought otherwise.

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,111
    Mid Brick Bounty build.  Truly a pirate collector that is for sure.
    Mordoor
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 950
    Drmnez said:
    I am a collector that opens sets and takes the mf and builds the sets I like. Personally, I don't like keeping sets in box because I'm not a box collector I am a Lego collector.
    Why do I read this and hear Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice?
    kiki180703SumoLegoVorpalRyu
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,852
    1265 said:
    Drmnez said:
    Why do I read this and hear Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice?
    He is the Governor of Ca-li-for-nia, as well.

VorpalRyukiki1807031265
  • CHAINSAWCHAINSAW ChicagoMember Posts: 199
    I collect mainly star wars but also any big or really cool set that intrests me.  So mainly big sets for me.  I prefer to keep almost all my sets in their boxes rather than taking them out and playing with them/building.  Though it depends occassionly I'll get a set that is bad ass and I want to build.
  • StyerStyer Huntington, WV, USAMember Posts: 73
    I can only really be said to COLLECT Superheroes, both Marvel and DC.  But I pick up pretty much any City sets that catch my fancy, mainly with the notion of providing a "backdrop" for my Superheroes.  I also pick up the odd random licensed set if I like the license, or just to grab a bunch of flesh toned minifigures, especially female or minority minifigures to provide "civilians" for my Superheroes.
    legomatt
  • legodad1legodad1 New ZealandMember Posts: 48
    When I came out of my first Dark Age in the late 90's I collected the first wave of Star Wars sets. When I came out of my second Dark Age in more recent years I started collecting PF train sets and Lego City sets (both vehicles and buildings) including mini-figure-scale Creator sets and Modular Buildings (from Pet-shop onwards). Most recently I've started dabbling in  Pirates, Mixels, CMFs and Elves, with a bigger focus on getting things my daughters would appreciate.
    CHAINSAWtallblocktoosnowhitie
  • Admiral_ArzarAdmiral_Arzar ColoradoMember Posts: 4
    I just recently started collecting again, and am sticking to the themes I liked as a kid in the 90s.  I'm basically looking for Space (I've almost completed Ice Planet, not sure where to go after that), Pirates, and Aquazone.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,758
    A poor one.

matticus_bricksLobotGothamConstructionCoYodalicious
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 142
    The one who has no time to build his new sets, thus they start to appreciate over time. I feel like an investor without the intention to be one. Thinking about selling my collection and quitting the hobby because of this.
    oldtodd33
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 403
    I was a build collector -- I had close to 650 sets, and 99% were built and displayed in my basement.

I tended to collect entire themes: advanced models, modulars, creator houses and vehicles, Architecture sets, Model Team, CMFs, Monster Fighters, Alien Conquest, Atlantis, Avatar, Pharaoh's Quest, Prince of Persia, Lone Ranger, Simpsons, Ferrari models, Maersk sets, Speed Champions, NASA/Discovery sets, Master Builder Academy, city construction sets (2009), employee gift sets, factory microscale sets (4000000+ series sets, but not crazy expensive inside tour sets), all chess and tic-tac-toe sets, some mosaics, and a ton of trains.

I avoided almost all Star Wars (with the exception of gold chrome C-3PO, 10179 and a few other UCS models) and I avoided almost all of the licensed superhero sets.  Virtually no Chima or Ninjago, and I was never very interested in the old castle or space themes.  Also, not a fan of Technic (well, except for 41999, and building that model reminded me why I do not like Technic).

Since about September of last year when I decided to quit LEGO, I've sold off about 465 sets, and I'm now down to about 185 sets left to sell off.

See http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/21131/selling-off-my-collection-southwest-ohio-usa#latest

Been a fun run, but I'm really happy with my decision exit the hobby.
    CircleKtallblocktoocatwranglerYodalicious
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 497
    @ToddMyers That's impressive that you had them all built!  Would have been quite the display!  
    catwrangler
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 798
    I really only try to collect almost all of the Super Heroes line, DC and Marvel. But I also love city and would grab more modulars if I had extra spare cash! So I do buy city and am constructing my own city in which I will probably have a super hero battle going on. I do tend to do a lot of bargain shopping and reading forums to pick up sets for cheap around local stores. If I find a set on clearance at a Walmart for $50 instead of $5 or $12 instead of $100 (Benny's Spaceship... One of my best deals ever!), I can't say no!
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 798
    Also enjoy some Star Wars, but thankfully I'm not as hardcore nerd about that as I am Super Heroes. Though The Force Awakens really has me reinvigorated again... I do want Poe's X-Wing, and finally owning a Millenium Falcon WOULD be nice... :)
    CHAINSAW
  • CHAINSAWCHAINSAW ChicagoMember Posts: 199
    Also enjoy some Star Wars, but thankfully I'm not as hardcore nerd about that as I am Super Heroes. Though The Force Awakens really has me reinvigorated again... I do want Poe's X-Wing, and finally owning a Millenium Falcon WOULD be nice... :)
    Same here, I really want poe's X-wing though. like legit...
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    A 50% clearance collector.  I like to look, but seldom buy anymore unless I find sets at deep clearance pricing.  Kids are growing up and out of lego, fewer birthday/holiday gifts needed.   Most of what I buy I will later donate.

I do still buy a few cmf from each series just to throw in the candy jar and keep it full.
    CHAINSAWcatwrangler