Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bewildered from UK

Hi all, very new AFOL person here (if 'A' stands for 'aged', that's me!). Extremely bewildered by the huge range on subjects I'm seeing in this forum and the general 'awesomeness' of the Lego universe.

Sadly Lego was never part of my childhood so I've got a heck of a lot of catching up to do. I'm currently trying to decide what areas of Lego interest me most of how to proceed from this point on without plunging my bank account (even further) into the red.

To this end I hope to be attending the Lego AFOL's Meetup in London next week to get some more insight and advice. If anyone reading this will also be there please take pity on a very green newbie.

Great forum. Look forward to learning a lot from it.
drdavewatfordchuckpkiki180703snowhitieTheBigLegoskikhmellymelSlapNuts

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    Welcome! 
    I'm glad to hear you're making up for what you missed out on in childhood :-) 

I won't be at the London AFOLs meetup but I know @richselby who organises them,  as well as a few others who attend,  and you could not ask for a friendlier bunch of people.  Have fun! 

BTW. Warning: This forum may be harmful to your bank balance.  

;-) 

kiki180703brickrikkCoraHarrisonkhmellymelOldfan
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,341
    Welcome to Brickset, you will find a wonderful and varied collection of characters here that will offer advice and/or opinions on almost all things lego and are a very knowledgeable bunch. I am relatively new on the site myself but enjoy reading a lot of the banter on the forum.
    The only advice I can give you if you are looking to start slow is find a theme you like and stick to it. Once you start getting into more than 1 theme it can start you down a rabbit hole that almost everyone on here has yet to climb out of (including myself).

TheBigLegoski
  • brickrikkbrickrikk UKMember Posts: 13
    edited November 2015
    Thanks @LostInTranslation and @bandit778, much appreciate the warm welcome and sage advice. I'm sort of drawn to the Lego superheroes (as comics are kinda in my background) but I'm also intrigued by their original creations like Chima and Ninjago - although I understand Chima is being phased out, is that right?
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    Welcome! 

We don't think there will be any more Chima sets but we thought that about Ninjago and here it is again. I don't collect Ninjago but other family members do and they are generally awesome sets. Only my daughter collects superheroes but it does seem that some sets are only focused on the minifigures not the actual build.

I'm not terribly into minifigures though so I'm probably biased.

I can't believe Lucy told you the forum may be harmful to your bank balance, it's pretty much guaranteed to devastate it :). Nevertheless I'm glad you're here, I hope you find some adults to hang out with who don't look at you funny because of your love of LEGO.
    brickrikkkhmellymel
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited November 2015
    Welcome brickrikk. 

Regarding the Chima sets, like Jenni stated, there are currently no new sets lined up for 2016 (that we know of). The line is most likely ending. The good news is that if Legends of Chima is something you are interested in, they are often on sale or clearance. So if you are looking to avoid harm or devastation to your bank balance, Chima is a good way to go. :)
    kiki180703brickrikkandhe
    edited November 2015
    chuckp said:
    Welcome brickrikk. 

Regarding the Chima sets, like Jenni stated, there are currently no new sets lined up for 2016 (that we know of). The line is most likely ending. The good news is that if Legends of Chima is something you are interested in, they are often on sale or clearance. So if you are looking to avoid harm or devastation to your bank balance, Chima is a good way to go. :)

Thanks, very useful info. Buying Lego via sales and clearances is something I do want to learn more about as it is something I rarely see in my local shops. Is there some way of finding out where/when sales/clearances are on?

Jenni said:

I can't believe Lucy told you the forum may be harmful to your bank balance, it's pretty much guaranteed to devastate it :). Nevertheless I'm glad you're here, I hope you find some adults to hang out with who don't look at you funny because of your love of LEGO.
    Haha, thanks @Jenni. Don't worry, I'm well used to having 'quirky' interests that others don't share. I thought Lego was also a niche hobby until I started researching it on the internet. I was staggered at what I saw and happy to find that I'm not alone. Brickset is one of the best resources I have discovered so far and I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes me. 
    kiki180703
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    brickrikk said:
    Thanks, very useful info. Buying Lego via sales and clearances is something I do want to learn more about as it is something I rarely see in my local shops. Is there some way of finding out where/when sales/clearances are on?
    Honestly, I think the best thing to do is check the "Shopping UK" topics frequently. Forum members tend to look out for each other and post updates on sales and finds regularly.  It probably wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the Marketplace too, you never know when someone else is trying to sell something you may want. Hope this helps. 
    brickrikk
  • richselbyrichselby Member Posts: 80
    Hello brikkrikk, I'm the person who organises the London AFOL meetups. Look forward to meeting you on Monday. Do introduce yourself to me. In terms of age range, well, I don't like to ask, but let's just say some of our regulars would have caught the first ever Doctor Who on their black and white tellies. Age is no barrier to the hobby. As per any group, some are highly involved, others are much more casual. I'm sure you will fit right in.

P.S. Thanks for flagging this @LostInTranslation , I don't check here very often.
    Jennibrickrikk
    richselby said:
    Hello brikkrikk, I'm the person who organises the London AFOL meetups. Look forward to meeting you on Monday. Do introduce yourself to me. In terms of age range, well, I don't like to ask, but let's just say some of our regulars would have caught the first ever Doctor Who on their black and white tellies. Age is no barrier to the hobby. As per any group, some are highly involved, others are much more casual. I'm sure you will fit right in.

P.S. Thanks for flagging this @LostInTranslation , I don't check here very often.
    Hi richselby. Thanks, I'll definitely make myself known to you on Monday. Looking forward to seeing what AFOLs are all about. :) As for Doctor Who, yep, I was there for the first episode - both showings! ;)
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,060
    Hi brickrikk! Welcome to the Forum.

Superheroes and Ninjago is one of mine and my sons favourite themes. I think the problem starts when you really really want some of the older sets to complete your collection. I've been an AFOL for just about a year now and spend a lot of money on it ;) But, I do try to limit myself to current sets. If I can find an old one on sale or for retail price barely used I don't mind but I try not to pay over the odds. When I started I tried to collect almost all the LOTR/HOBBIT range and paid a bit over retail for some sets but that's a slippery slope...

Ninjago is a nice theme and there is a big temple #70751 which is perfect for AFOLS. But expensive :)

I am sure you'll get much more info on the London meet-up. And never be afraid to ask questions on the forum, there is a friendly bunch of people on here.

Enjoy the new hobby!

brickrikk
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    Hello Brickrikk, welcome to the forum. Happy building times, and good luck trying to keep your collecting habits and spending sprees in check. ;-)

Check out the 33% discount deals on amazon on the brickset frontpage. You may often find some good offers there. They are tricky though, your bank account might bleed dry if you are not careful.
    brickrikk
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 687
    Hello and welcome to the Brickset forums!

Just out of curiosity: what prompted you to take an interest in Lego at this time?  Was it the interests of your kid(s) or nieces/nephews/friend's children?  Or some other factor?

I know that the vast majority of AFOL played with the toys as kids (self included), and it didn't take much of a prompting to get back in as adults.  I'm interested in hearing the perspective of someone who was not a Lego Maniac when they were younger...
  • rawbobrawbob UKMember Posts: 535
    I never had Lego when I was younger. Got into it about 5 years ago when my wife bought me a small selection of Star Wars minifigures. I bought Luke's Landspeeder a couple of days after and haven't looked back! Star Wars heloed get me into it. I have far more licenced sets (Star Wars, Super Heroes) but have found I enjoy the odd non-licenced theme here and there.
    Oldfan said:
    Hello and welcome to the Brickset forums!

Just out of curiosity: what prompted you to take an interest in Lego at this time?  Was it the interests of your kid(s) or nieces/nephews/friend's children?  Or some other factor?

I know that the vast majority of AFOL played with the toys as kids (self included), and it didn't take much of a prompting to get back in as adults.  I'm interested in hearing the perspective of someone who was not a Lego Maniac when they were younger...

Good question, Oldfan. I've been aware of Lego for a long time and, as a follower of popular culture, been fascinated by the way the company has reinvented itself in recent years to embrace so many IPs. I admired how they adapted the properties to fit their product and the imagination and creativity that went into each item.

I started by collecting a few Minifigs then bought a few small sets and had a lot of fun putting them together. I was impressed with the quality of each set, the engineering involved and how well all the elements fitted together. 

In many ways I'm glad I came to Lego now rather than as a kid because I think a lot of the detail is lost to the younger mind. With age comes appreciation of quality and imagination. At least that's my excuse! 

rawbob said:
    I never had Lego when I was younger. Got into it about 5 years ago when my wife bought me a small selection of Star Wars minifigures. I bought Luke's Landspeeder a couple of days after and haven't looked back! Star Wars heloed get me into it. I have far more licenced sets (Star Wars, Super Heroes) but have found I enjoy the odd non-licenced theme here and there.
    Good to hear from a fellow 'convert', although I'm trying to stay well clear of any Star Wars Lego - that way lies a huge black hole (maybe a Death Star?). :) I am trying to get into the various superhero sets and Minifigs, however.