Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Vintage LEGO store displays

brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
I didn't remember seeing these posted to the forum before, but I just found these four images of vintage 1980s LEGO store displays on a British toy blog: https://zodiactoys.wordpress.com/instore-displays/

If you had to pick ONE item, which would it be?

z70.jpg 226.2K
z82.jpg 252.5K
z75.jpg 250.4K
z51.jpg 253.9K
chuckpdrdavewatfordoldtodd33madforLEGOpharmjodT_Lars

Comments

• William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 880
    The Bike Shop 
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    I just cried
    chuckpkiki180703T_Larsbobabricks
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,504
    First thought was Kings Castle.

Second thought was most of the Lego in those pictures probably hit the land fill long ago.

Third thought was Lego shoplifting was around back then by the sign posted on the shelf. Times haven't changed much. 
    kiki180703chuckp
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited November 2015
    Definitely the #6926 Mobile Recovery Vehicle and some crater plates for it to drive over.
    oldtodd33
  • elee1019elee1019 ArizonaMember Posts: 21
    What is the set number for the house with the red roof and a skylight on the bottom of the 2nd pic?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,504
    @elee1019   The number is #6374
    elee1019
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 635
    edited November 2015
    the blue spaceship or the fabuland windmeil
    brickupdate
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,852
    No police station?  Pass!

(Just kidding.  Definitely the Space display.)
    brickupdateyys4u
    I wish I had my photos of the fully stocked shelves at TRU from the mid-90's.

City, Castle, Pirate, Wild West, Space...

I remember installing the first Aquazone talking dioramas.  (And the Wild West and Time Cruisers static displays.)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,667
    I think I almost passed out there for a moment
    brickupdatebobabricks
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,142
    One of my new chapter of my next version of my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide computer desktop guide has an entire chapter on LEGO displays and display shelves (note: all future updates are free to current owners).... and I'm always on the look out for TLG produced display shelving, as well as non-TLG produced sales racks (such as these shown above).

From 1955 until the 1970s TLG produced custom shelves for their toy store owners, as well as signage and related items.  In recent years (especially with licensed products) TLG has again added items for LEGO displays and shelving.

Here's a fraction of what is going to be in my collectors guide chapter on LEGO retailer items.  I've already gotten over 60 pages of images and catalog items....

http://www.youblisher.com/p/789575-LEGO-Retailer-Store-Chapter/

Another expanded chapter is on glued display models.... an endless supply was produced for retailers.

My favorite recent retailer display image.... ;-)

brickupdate
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Guarded Inn for me.
    brickupdate
  • stank2kstank2k The CosmosMember Posts: 8
    You forgot one.

brickupdate
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Which display would I choose or which set? Just kidding. All of the vintage Castle stuff for me and Space would be next, although the Fabuland stuff is intriguing just because I never heard of it before I learned about it on Brickset.

The Duplo sets look AWESOME! Trains and animals. Cool.

For me: Castle first, then Space, then the City(?) houses, then Basic, then Technic.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Wow, I just found another photo. LOOK AT THIS CART!!!! 
    kiki180703SumoLegoyys4ubobabricks
    Millenium Falcon(s) photobomb!
    binaryeyebrickupdate
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    edited November 2015
    Well, we know that @SumoLego won't want any of these sets. No sausages.... ....or white rangefinders.
    kiki180703bobabricks
    Or Space Skulls.
    Goldchainskiki180703bobabricks
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 650
    Remember how in Blues Clues they used to be able to jump into pictures on the wall? Yeah, I really wish I had that power right now. I think what amazes me most are the small things like Minifigure sets and trees that are rarely ever seen in that condition anymore. Just think of the armies you could have built back then!

I wonder if the woman in that black and white photo knows just how much value she once held? That's a mind-blowing photo. 
    chuckp
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    Just for the first picture content I could be gladly robbed of a finger or two. 
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 850
    I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of those sets which are dismantled and many in their original boxes!  What is missing from that pic though is the 12V trains (though I don't think they were universally stocked) - I'd go for those in an instant!
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799

The eight year old of yesteryear would've wanted to complete out his Town collection.  But the 35 year old me wants those Castle sets!
    brickupdate