Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How often are you told you "have too much"?

technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
edited November 2011 in Collecting
I sure am alot. If you don't know what I mean, I'm referring to people, whether it be parents, friends, etc, who try to hinder you from collecting LEGO. My response back is, "To me, its a hobby, shall I critique yours like you am mine?" I find it something I can shrug off and ignore, I don't let it get to me. Does anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I crossed over the "too much" line a long time ago, so it's almost laughable for someone to make that statement and have it come off as a criticism. It is CLEARLY way too much. So all anyone can do is smile. Luckily, my wife does too.
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    My wife and my friends that come to my home are quick to critique, however, my kids love my collection because I let them play all the time with the sets right after I assemble them, so it balances it out. Plus, I always tell my wife that this hobby is lot safer than drinking with friends at a bar, or watching "improper" material online, so she has to agree that's best having a husband at home playing with LEGO than doing that!
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    I've gotten that comment about my comic collection, but not the Legos...yet.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Every time I buy more, I'm told I have enough and/or too much.

The other comment I get a lot... "Yeah it's a great deal.. but when are you gonna sell it?"

Brent
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,033
    edited November 2011
    When I get that comment I always say it is cheaper than golf, and not to speak of some other hobbies. The fact is I call tell from the look on their faces that they wish they had all my LEGO! They push forward their kids to ask me nicely if they (the kids) could play. Of course I let them. Then the adults kinda creep over too pretending to help their kids, but obviously fully absorbed themselves. It is funny and sweet to watch!...(c:
    RE: the "cheaper than golf" comment - DEFINITELY! I was into high-end audio for years... now there is an expensive hobby that results in the same clutter than LEGO does. Overall, LEGO is a much more reasonable hobby expenses wise, they hold their value, and if you have kids, then it's fun for everyone!
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    I've been collecting and building for 2 years now - and after putting together a couple of train sets and the public transport station - and seeing just how much space it takes up - I've just told myself I have too much!!!!! Lol
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^Exactly the reason I stayed away from city and train layouts.
  • technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2011
    Yes, lol, my mother, has threatened me before that if I get "another" package of off Bricklink, she'll cancel my order! Fortunately, I can see it as exaggeration, given that as an adult, I have the freedom to spend my money on what I desire, that, being around a third of my cash, being saved for LEGO, the rest, for the future :D!
    But you don't bother us AFOLs. We NEED those special parts off of Bricklink! Pink parrot anybody? Flesh colored hot dogs? 2 pink Popsicles? If anything though, I'm criticized about how much I get off of Bricklink. A $10 package at the door filled with 200+ pieces really gets people going!
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    I generally get "how much?!?" from friends, etc. My wife is patient and understands the hobby. I am getting concerned a bit about my self as I have slipped into POTC as well as my city layout and SW....and I must have the superhero sets, where will it all end!
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    everyday from the lady :)

thing is you collect one thing....then you like something else, so obviously you want to have them all...and then by the time you manage to have all sets in the theme you like...Lego comes with another range...and again you buy...it is nightmare!!!
    LOL
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Collectors seem to be completionists... we want entire sets of things...

I was that way at first with Lego, until I figured out (with my wife's help of course) that to try and do that would both

A: take over the entire house
    B: bankrupt us

So instead I'm getting more picky about what I buy. For example, I've purchased the POTC ships, but I'm not keeping any other POTC sets, to try and do so would overrun the house.

I picked up 2 World Racers sets, but not the entire line, just something fun for my 6 year old son to play with.

The only series I'm buying everything on is Star Wars. We are Star Wars nuts in this house, my son loves LEGO Star Wars the video game, he is very good at it and would play it all day if I let him. :) Otherwise, I'm just picking and choosing.

I did however buy myself a Christmas Present, something I said I wouldn't do... Green Grocer... :) Haven't told the wife about that one yet. ;)
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 532
    Bah, my parents were telling me I had "too much Lego" back when I was 10, when my collection was a QUARTER of the size it is now. It's such a subjective assessment, I'll keep collecting until *I* decide I have too much. Which, considering Lego's track record, may never happen. My collecting habits may slow down, but I doubt they will ever cease. Plus, there's always those sets from my childhood that I missed, like my recently-obtained NIOB 6991 Monorail Transport Base. Gosh, that was like finding the Holy Grail.
    @LegoFanTexas - I also used to be a "completionist" until I too realized that I don't have the room to do that.

Now, the only sets that I "must have" at the modulars and the holiday sets (i.e. Advent Calendars, ornaments, Winter Village, etc.). All the rest, I only get if I like OR if they are an extremely good deal.

Brent
    The modulars are amazing, that is why I sprung for the absurd cost of Green Grocer. Paid $420 on eBay for it, ouch... compared to the $150 it cost a year ago.

Shame, because I came out of my dark ages a year ago, so I could have gotten it back then if I knew any better.

Oh well...
    I'm kicking myself for not buying 2 of each modular set. I have, so far, bought them all at or below list price when they were available through LEGO.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I've never been a 'completionist' e.g. I'm happy to have 15 out of a set of 16 series 4 minifigs if I dont like one of them. I'm more of a "must-have-that-ist" .. if it's something which really grabs my attention, then I cant help but want it. I guess that makes me a victim of capitalism :)

I dont tend to let many people know how much lego I have, except on here of course. Partly cos it's none of anyone's business, and partly cos I know they'd think I'd lost my mind (and partly cos I think they might be right :o) )

My latest challenge to myself is to become more of an "uncompletionist" - selling off sets I dont like so much, to make way for more coming in. I think it's a more healthy approach, but can be hard to do. I can imagine lots of people struggle with this.
    Who would have predicted the 10x value jump of Cafe Corner?

Really, that is an outlier, unusual in even Lego land...
    "uncompletionist" - I like that word...

My wife will like it as well! :)
    I agree with @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK - I am always in the process of trying to thin out my collection, selling off sets I don't LOVE in order to give the other stuff room to breathe. But... incoming is always greater than outgoing!

And as @LeogFanTexas and @BTHodgeman mentioned - instead of paying astronomical costs for retired sets, I am focusing on finding current sets at good prices. ET: Emerald Night, Medieval Market Village, modulars, Death Star, UCS sets, etc. And of course: buying multiples! :)
    -Dan
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK I actually like to "show off" my collection and display. My friend's kids are my best friends, and they ask their parents, can we go and visit Eric? LOL

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    @si_dorking_surrey_uk: I'm with you on being an uncompletionist (even though you are an Evil Sprite slash Dwarf :P).

I will only buy sets I like (or that are on a really good offer), which still means I buy plenty. There are loads of sets I want but probably won't get round to buying as I can't afford them all but I won't lose sleep over it.

And I don't tell people exactly how much I've got, especially not my parents, they would have a fit and its just not worth the hassle. I just need to come up with a convincing story to tell them about how the Death Star has endedup on my dining table before they next visit!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^ "I'm looking after it for a friend" ?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    ^ Lol. The trouble is I've drooled over it for so long, pleaded for it for so many birthdays and Christmasses and told them they absolutely had to buy me it if they won the lottery, that they know exactly how much it costs... I'm just hoping my 7 year old nephew doesn't let the cat out of the bag before I've come up with something plausible.
    Just say it makes you happy, and they want you to be happy, right?

:)
  • bixtrix77bixtrix77 Member Posts: 53
    God i can only dream of owning that death star set. I think my wife would string me up if I came home with that. It's bas enough if i bring home a small set!!!!! Lol
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    "... so, don't you want me to be happy, Mum? Hmm?"
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    yeah, I clearly have too much, and I still feel like I'm just getting started (9 months out of the dark ages). My parents have been surprisingly ok about it, though they haven't visited for a couple of months. They know I've got a lego room, and that it's going to be a lego-y christmas for everyone (they're all getting a poly bag for their post christmas dinner table-gift).
    My husband is getting more and more supportive. mostly because he wants the death star! But like Si and many others I'm letting sets go I don't like too much, investing in sets for resale and sticking to buying what's on offer for the most part.
    I expect my collection will double in the next year...but hopefully with around 20-30% of the cost coming from lego sales/trades
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    I myself haven't been told I have too many Lego's as a lot of them I have in storage(the ones I don't use currently). Although I have been told I have too many Transformers.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,315
    My husband tells me that eveytime I tell him about a new line of Lego sets coming out, even if I am not interested in them. I mostly have SW but have ventured into HP and POTC. I mostly like minifigures and rare/ new pieces. I like others like to display them. Unfortunately until all the kids move out there won't be enough room to display them all.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 947
    edited November 2011
    There are two things I've been told by my wife I "have to much" off.....Lego and beer. My response, "I know." What to do.....I like me plastic and suds.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    edited November 2011
    ^^ I know what you mean about the new/rare pieces, or any piece for that matter. For me its something like this:
    "Nice, I've finally got my hands a that piece... but I don't have it in this colour....."
  • PolynicesPolynices United StatesMember Posts: 25
    I use my 2 sons (5 and 7 at present) as cover for my Lego collecting. If people roll their eyes at how much Lego I have, I just say it's actually all theirs, and if they think my boys are hopelessly spoiled by all the Lego, I point out that it's actually all mine. ;)
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I've never been a 'completionist'
    I agree with Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK, as there aren't so many sets I'm interested in. Although it's much cheaper than golf, it does take up a lot of space, especially in a rabbit's hutch of a place I currently live in.

With other non-Lego crap I've accumulated in the past ( ie; transformers, miniature autos, zippos, etc ), I'm pretty much in need of space. And yes, I also tell myself I buy too much, despite my salaries. That's why I'm going to have to spend less this month ;_;