Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What should I do with my empty boxes?

Hello everyone!

I am set to move from Finland to Abu Dhabi, UAE at the end of December and am wondering what to do with all my Lego empty boxes. I have found a way to keep my Lego sets but I have no idea what to do with them, if I should keep them, trash them, or sell them?

I possess about 70 boxes from Star Wars and the LEGO Movie. I am ready to sell them for almost nothing if someone is interested in paying the - expensive - shipping costs, or come get them from Pori, Finland.

All advises are welcome. Thank you!

CoucouMichel

Comments

• BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 763
    Do people really collect Lego boxes in general? Sure, if you've got boxes for a UCS MF or the early modulars (CC, GG,etc) there'll be a market, but run of the mill boxes? Have a look at what they go for on BL and if it isn't a big number, put them in the recycle....
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,860
    Can't you flatten them? Much less space required then.
    SlapNutscrazycarl
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    When it comes to selling off used sets, I don't believe there is much difference in price between those with boxes and those without, at least on your average run of the mill theme sets.

Unless they have some sort of meaning or value to you personally, I'd recommend just getting rid of them.
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Mine are all flattened in a large tote.  Bout 110 or more sets.  The tote is large and heavy but it can be moved.
  • Faedian7Faedian7 Member Posts: 50
    Like others here, I flatten my empty boxes. No rhyme or reason for doing it, just something I carried over into my AFOL days from when I was a kid. I still have all of my old sets and boxes from the early-mid 90s!
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    I think when the box is flattened it takes up minimal space - so if you can, save them all.  Wouldn't you rather throw them out after a couple of years knowing full well you are fine with that decision, rather than regretting you threw them out a couple years ago?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I had been keeping the boxes for my larger sets flattened under a bed. I was recently cleaning that room, thought to myself, "These are taking up a lot of space for no good reason," and decided to just toss them all. The person that picks up our recycling probably thinks we have a serious problem.

When I came out of my dark ages, I was happy to find I still had the boxes for several of my childhood sets. But I was way more happy to find I still had all of the LEGO that came in the boxes. And boxes were more interesting back then. I don't think I'll regret throwing away the newer boxes.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I recently recycled 300ish boxes from the last 4 years of collecting. They were all flattened, but still taking up space. I realized I NEVER looked at any of them, so why was I keeping them? I eventually took them to the recycling (after many debates in my head) and have since not thought about them. I still haven't attempted to look at any of them, or the few that I did save of Modulars/D2C sets. They just collect dust...
    dougts
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    While I do keep my boxes flattened for the most part, I can tell you that in selling used sets that there is very little difference in the value of a set with or without the box.  And what little value is realized is quickly absorbed by any additional shipping costs.  The question is whether you want the boxes as part of YOUR collection.  If the answer is no, then I say recycle them.
    dougts
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    wagnerml2 said:
    While I do keep my boxes flattened for the most part, I can tell you that in selling used sets that there is very little difference in the value of a set with or without the box.  And what little value is realized is quickly absorbed by any additional shipping costs.  The question is whether you want the boxes as part of YOUR collection.  If the answer is no, then I say recycle them.
    exactly.  Which is what I said up top too.  If you are saving them for resale value purposes, you are wasting your time and space. 
  • CoucouMichelCoucouMichel FinlandMember Posts: 4
    Hello and thank you very much for your answers. I guess I will go the ecological way and recycle them all. I don't have any rare boxes anyway. My biggest set is the Ewok village but the box is in the basement and collecting dust at the moment so...
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
    edited October 2015
    I may be the only one here to say that, but I think boxes, especially the ones in good condition, surely raise the overall value of the set. You can see how consistent is the difference between boxed and no-boxed sets both in ebay or bricklink. If your problem is needing more space there are several practical ways to help you in this, and if I don't remember bad there was also a specific topic here in the forum for this. In any case you could be able to sell them on bricklink, they have a certain market, but I would definetly not suggest you to throw them away.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    It's fairly certain the box raises the value, simply because some people will want it. That gives you a larger market and increased desireability.

The question is how much of a difference it makes.
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 53
    TigerMoth said:
    It's fairly certain the box raises the value, simply because some people will want it. That gives you a larger market and increased desireability.

The question is how much of a difference it makes.
    If on Bricklink 10 sellers offer a given used "vintage" set for e.g. 100 USD of which 1 comes with a box I will argue that many/most collectors will buy the boxed one for 100+X USD if the prices are "somewhat" comparable.

You could then argue that the box is worth X USD or you could argue that the box is worth 100+X USD, the difference between a sold and an unsold set.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Whether you actually want the box or not, there's something about its presence that suggests more care has been taken. It's harder to leave a box in dubious conditions (like a damp cellar) without it showing.
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
    This was the topic I was previously talking to you about:  http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2399/what-have-you-done-to-your-house-to-accommodate-your-lego-hobby-addiction#latest
    Hope it can help you Michel.

• xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    And here's a discussion I started with some more advice/opinion:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/20920/keep-the-boxes-or-not

I still have them, but like you keep thinking about recycling them.

• TBOCTBOC Member Posts: 9
    In my opinion, boxes are valuable and they definitely do raise the price quite a bit (from what I've seen on both Bricklink and eBay). Unless it's like army building for SW sets or sets that are impossible to buy with one, I always buy sets that come with the box.
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    big sets yes, little ones not so much... ever checked the prices for the box for UCS SW sets or the early modulars? The box price now would pay for the original set cost or more.