Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Bionicle Discussion

chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
Apparently, SMC made a thread for every other theme LEGO has except this one. (O.K. Maybe not every other theme.) Since I couldn't find another thread about Bionicle, I thought I'd start one. If you don't like Bionicle, why'd you click on this? :}

Lately, I've been very interested in Bionicle and constraction in general. I'm actually more impressed with the MOC aspect of Bionicle and I've bought a few sets but haven't paid full price for any set that was more than $10.

Today I went specifically to Wal Mart to buy Bionicle set #70793 Skull Basher. I saw the review of him on Jangbricks and thought he was really cool and he only cost $15 so I didn't feel that was too expensive. When I actually had the physical product in my hands, though, it just didn't seem like the set was substantial enough for the price. This is the second time I've done this. The first I had it in my head to buy #70788 Kopaka Master of Ice, but ended up buying #70734 Master Wu Dragon instead, which costs twice as much but still seemed like I was getting my money's worth.

So I'm wondering about other's thoughts on Bionicle, whether you love it or hate it. Perhaps it really is meant to be more of an action figure than a building toy, although obviously a lot of people have done extraordinary MOCs with it.

Comments

• RebelegoRebelego Georgia, USAMember Posts: 171
    I'm not a fan of Bionicle. I don't think it's horrible or anything. Just not my thing. My guess is that it's because I didn't grow up with it in the 90s. I'm not as skilled at MOCs as I'd like to be with 'normal' LEGO. So, if I tried to build with Bionicle, I would just sit there staring at it. I did pick up a General Grievious constraction though.  It's pretty cool.

I did pick up two Bionicle sets yesterday, though. #8991 and #8992 to resale. Other than that, I never would have bought them.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    I really love Bionicle. It was one of my favorite themes as a kid, and I think the sets have really evolved a lot since their original launch in 2001. I think the sets do a good job of being both action figures and building toys, especially after this year's reboot since the current "character and creature building system" is really conducive to building original creations. The majority of my MOCs these days tend to be CCBS-based.

My brother and I have all of this year's Bionicle sets, besides #5002942. My favorite is #70786 Gali - Master of Water.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,218
    When I was younger I was a massive Bionicle fan, it was the last theme I really loved before dark ages. I had all the original 6 heroes, turaga and a few bohrok - I have to admit, I'm having to look through the database for names etc.

I think there is a lot of regional difference in how Bionicle was marketed, I was aware of a movie, but never saw it, I know there was an official story, but I only got hints of it with some of the CD-ROM stuff, this was before kids were well versed in the internet at the age of 4 so there wasn't the ease of finding information at that time as there is now. In the UK it certainly felt like the story was unimportant to the toys.

With the reboot of Bionicle I decided to buy the new version of Kopaka who I remember being my favourite of the bionicles. I didn't really get the wave of nostalgia from it that I imagined I might. The new CCBS is by far superior to the original technic offshoot that started Bionicle, and as a set it does feel bigger and more of a full set, rather than an easy to assemble figure. However, I think I'd be more likely to rebuy the original 6 characters than buy any more of the new ones, just for nostalgia and nothing else.

That said. I do like the way some of the CCBS parts have been very cleverly used in some system sets, I know some purists hate it, but I'm all for clever part use. The set that jumps to mind as a good example to me is #70145 : Maula's Ice Mammoth Stomper - using a chest plate type piece as the mammoths face to me is just inspired, it's the perfect shape. So potentially there's a chance I might pick up more Bionicle type stuff in the future if I see some parts I might use, but even then there would need to be good discounts as a lot of the useful parts end up in system sets anyway.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2015
    I don't really own a bionicle set for what it is but i have more than a handful of them for parts. Sometimes the whole constraction thing can solve a build that would have been near impossible before. For example I am currently trying to build a decent balrog. Now getting the organic shapes with any stability out of system is nearly impossible, but coat some constraction parts in system and it's possible. Use some parts on the outside too like Shib pointed out, and you can make something awesome. 
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,944
    Never really looked into bionicle too much as there are other aspects of Lego that require financing that I prefer as display pieces as opposed to what are essentially lego action figures. Although after purchasing Vader, Grievous, and Obi-Wan constraction figures I must say that I have been suitably impressed with the overall quality and build techniques of these figures and can understand why they are popular. If some of the action figures I had as a kid had the playability and posable limbs like these do as opposed to rigid arms and legs I would have loved it.