Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Good Ebay deal or have I enraged my wife needlessly?

Hi all,

I saw the ebay 20% off deal yesterday and used it to buy the Winter Village Bakery 10216 for £80.  I'm happy with that, it's something I've wanted for a while and I don't think that's a bad price these days?

The trouble is, the ebay seller also had Lego Castle Medieval Market Village 10193 for sale and, in a rush of blood to the head, I bought that as well for £112.  I didn't even know it existed before I went on Ebay!

Have I been a sucker or is that a good price?  Looking at it I immediately thought the buildings would fit well into a winter village set up but I can't help the feeling that I got hypnotised by the 20% off deal into spending over twice what I intended!

Legoboy

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited October 2015
    Its a lovely set that hasn't gone up post eol as much as it deserves to so not bad. Possibly slightly overpaid before the 20% discount, one sold on ebay for £105 at the beginning of the month, but £112 isn't bad at all - and it is a lovely set.
  • SocksSocks GBMember Posts: 10

Thanks Cheshirecat, I needed that reassurance! :)

• XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    edited October 2015
    We got really lucky with MMV because me and my partner bought it right when we came out of our dark ages. We just happened to be in a Lego store, it was marked down quite substantially, and we grabbed it as a Christmas present to ourselves. I agree it's a fantastic set, and it wasn't until much later that I found out that it was quite so widely appreciated as a set and that we'd really just been in the right place at the right time because apparently they'd sold out quite quickly once discounted to that level. I think you got it for a pretty decent price.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    The Bricklink average price for NIB sold sets over the last 6 months are 105 and 80 Pounds respectively. You didn't get a deal but you didn't over-pay either.

Now about the enraged wife, Dr Phil/Oz/Opera wonders if the above purchase has exceeded your Lego budget for the month. If so, shame on you, if not then wify needs learn to respect your hobby!  
    I've found that a small purchase from either L'Occitane or Jo Malone gets me out of all kind of marital grief at the moment.

I've bought a new games console, yes I know Christmas is only 10 weeks ago. I've also bought you this smelly candle. And normality returns - seriously its like cat nip for her at the moment. 
    TheBigLegoski
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,348
    @cheshirecat - that logic always makes me laugh... "Yes I've spent more than I should, but then I spent a bit more on you so it's all good" :-)
    TheBigLegoski
    ^ I find logic rarely comes into it! :)
    ShibdrdavewatfordBumblepantsTheBigLegoskiBrickDancerThe_Mad_Vulcan
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    What is "logic?" I've never heard of this word. 
  • sir_Bricksalotsir_Bricksalot UKMember Posts: 110
    I know the feeling.  I spent about 2 hours trawling though ebay looking at lego just because of the 20% off.
    10193 was actually on my list too :)  I had my eye on a winter village bakery as well at £80 just because it was such a great price (although already have one so didn't bite).

Personally I really like the deal you got.  Great price on the bakery, spot on with the market.
    Renegade007cjh
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 687
    edited October 2015
    I know the feeling.  I spent about 2 hours trawling though ebay looking at lego just because of the 20% off.
    That's exactly what I did and in the end purchased exactly zero LEGO sets :(  Tempted with a PS4 (slightly off-topic), but the missus said I didn't need it (probably true!) so just bought a couple of low value items just for the sake of the 20% off!
    ecmo47 said:
    The Bricklink average price for NIB sold sets over the last 6 months are 105 and 80 Pounds respectively. You didn't get a deal but you didn't over-pay either.

Now about the enraged wife, Dr Phil/Oz/Opera wonders if the above purchase has exceeded your Lego budget for the month. If so, shame on you, if not then wify needs learn to respect your hobby!  

Well Dr Phil/Oz/Opera, the real problem is that I told my wife about the 20% off deal by sending her a text which said "20% off any ebay purchase.  I promise I won't buy any Lego."

This isn't the first time I've broken that promise. :)

Scarves (scarfs??) are the thing.  I'll buy one on the way home tonight.

10193 was actually on my list too :)  I had my eye on a winter village bakery as well at £80 just because it was such a great price (although already have one so didn't bite).

Personally I really like the deal you got.  Great price on the bakery, spot on with the market.

Cheers!  Good to know you didn't miss out because of my recklessness too!
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 982
    Hee hee. This all made me laugh. Why did you even tell your wife? I always just sneak the Lego into the house when she's not looking! 

Both sets you bought are great. Remember of course that you can just cancel the order or return the items....does your wife know this?! hee hee
    Rakul
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    edited October 2015
    I looked at both the Bakery and the Medieval village as well, lol.