Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What ever happened to car doors?

NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 271
edited November 2011 in Collecting
Why do so many newer Lego vehicles not have doors? During the Legoland town years nearly every vehicle had doors, and some even had hoods that could be opened. Now it seems like only big trucks have doors, and some of those don't even have them. I still like the design of many of the newer cars and trucks, but I miss having this function.

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Does Lego even produce the old door mold anymore?

You're right, I didn't even really think about it until you said something, but the new cars are all missing the old doors.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Too much Dukes of Hazard? ;o)
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    A few of the City 2011 models had doors on them, and yes they still make the door molds.
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I think the designers at Lego Motors Ltd decided to drop the doors and attach thin walls as a cost-cutting measure and improve production efficiency at the factories. But this is to the detriment of the Legomen/women who buy these new cars.

Seriously, I think most doors don't fit well with some windshields, as they only have a notch to support them on the bottom and top respectively. I see a lot of new types of windshields that don't "hold" the top side of the door, which makes them look like they're pinned down awkwardly.
    But I honestly do like the doors too, since you can pose your figures by the cars. I was pretty disappointed when I bought 8402, the sports car.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited November 2011
    I never noticed this, having not bought a city set in an age... but yeah. Seems a shame that with all the new fangled gubbins in lego sets these days, there's no opening door (edit: fewer opening doors). I mean, couldn't they get creative in the designs department using the clip pieces, or one of the other many hinge-making parts, and build a two-piece door using existing parts.

Even a simple studless tile attached to a clip/hinge would be a start.
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    The larger 6-stud wide vehicles like the Space Agency truck and the red truck in the new Harbor set have doors, but the smaller 4-stud wide cars don't have them. Like @Silber334 said, I think it's a cost cutting measure to make more streamlined cars with a smaller brick count.

Frankly, it doesn't bug me all that much. Very rarely do you have your little Lego people physically act out the process of opening the car door to get in the car.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    The Winter village Post office has the classic car doors in red...
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 532
    True story: I saw it as a sign of Lego's decline in my eyes when the cars stopped having "build-it-yourself" headlights (circa 1998).

Then, opening doors disappeared, and I knew that this Lego "City" that replaced the beloved Town of my childhood was not somewhere my imagination wanted to live.

Doors have made something of a comeback, so I hold the new City lines in higher esteem than their early-2000s predecessors. But still, it's a shame that such a feature was taken away. I can only imagine how all you veterans of the 80s felt once Town cars and trucks in the 90s stopped having opening hoods for the "engines". Yikes.
  • jagdjhjagdjh Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2011
    -
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I still have a few of those old cars lying around. They look kinda ghetto now haha
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    lol @ the idea of Lego City Ghetto as a theme for retro sets