Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What modular would you start with?

lego187lego187 United StatesMember Posts: 16
What modular would you start with that is on the market right now? I would probably start with Parisian Restaurant.

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Start with the one you like best.  Unless you want them all eventually, then start with the one which is likely to disappear the soonest, which is likely either Pet Shop or Palace Cinema
    lego187pharmjod
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,313
    It would depend on your long term goal. If you want them all, then start with the one likely to go first. If you are going to display only a few, go for one you like the most.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I'd go for one that has just expired, Fire Brigade. You won't be able to live without that one in the long run and it's currently still obtainable at a decent $350 (2.3xRRP).
  • odueckodueck Member Posts: 48
    The Pet Shop is probably not going to last a whole lot longer and it's very nice IMO. It's interior detailing can't match the newer modulars bit it's still a great set.
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    Im going to start with the pet shop then the Detective's office.  I really with I didnt miss the grand emporium.  I refuse to pay inflated second hand market prices.  Im not in it to collect.  Im in it to model a Lego railroad.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    crazycarl said:
    Im going to start with the pet shop then the Detective's office.  I really with I didnt miss the grand emporium.  I refuse to pay inflated second hand market prices.  Im not in it to collect.  Im in it to model a Lego railroad.
    If you just want "nice buildings" you can BrickLink modulars that you missed, but would like, using cheaper substitutions for expensive parts that somebody who wants "the real thing" can't avoid.
    crazycarl
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Is the Death Star considered a modular?  Go with that. 
    bobabrickspharmjodkiki180703SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,024
    crazycarl said:
    Im not in it to collect.  Im in it to model a Lego railroad.
    You really are crazy if you're jumping into a Lego railroad.  Good luck!
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 883
    Just buy every single one you can get your hands on now
    crazycarl
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 282
    There are always a few modulars on the market. If you don't plan to complete the collection, buy the oldest one that you like, unless you plan to get just one ever, in which case get either the Detective's Office or the Parisian Cafe. Both are amazing builds with lots of great parts and building techniques.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited October 2015
    I agree with the advice already given, but I'm a little bit surprised nobody has mentioned The Zombie Mall... or The Sausage Factory.

I love the motorized options of the Sausage Factory conveyor belt and giant meat vats. And the little nod to Sweeney Tod's on the shop front facing is to die for... for the minifigs.
    :oP

(...or maybe i dreamed these).
    BumblepantsJern92kiki180703SumoLego
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    SumoLego said:
    crazycarl said:
    Im not in it to collect.  Im in it to model a Lego railroad.
    You really are crazy if you're jumping into a Lego railroad.  Good luck!
    Its already started about 6 years ago with a 14'x3' layout.  now its a 16'x16' L layout.
    pharmjodkiki180703Pitfall69
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    I'd buy the Detective Office first,then I'd work backwards obtaining the previous ones while I forgo paying for things like food,rent trying to get caught up on modulars.I like a challenge :D
    SumoLegoRsa33
  • RebelegoRebelego Georgia, USAMember Posts: 171
    I started with the Pet Shop just last night, which will be my first modular.  I like all of them to be honest.  So I ordered the one that would go first.  Did it just in time because I just checked and [email protected] is out of stock for now.
    MrJ_NYcrazycarl
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,024
    ^ @crazycarl - I'm finally getting around to building my table.

Down the rabbit hole!
    crazycarl
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    @legomatt , This is what we did to our shop a few years ago :)
    TheLoneTensorkiki180703SumoLegolegomatt