Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] New Pick-A-Model Sets for 4th Quarter

KiltyONealKiltyONeal Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 27
Saw these new models on the Pick-A-Brick wall in Columbus, Ohio on Friday 10/2/2015.  There's some nice parts for PAB cups ...

AleyditachuckpJenniaimlesspursuits

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    edited October 2015
    Odd they are showing brown chairs on the truck in the instructions but white on the built model. 
    bobabricks
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 748
    Thanks for adding these, always great to see what's coming to the PAB walls.
    KiltyONeal
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    oldtodd33 said:
    Odd they are showing brown chairs on the truck in the instructions but white on the built model. 
    Stores were shipped the wrong color.  It's being corrected and brown chairs are en route 
  • Prin12sPrin12s OklahomaMember Posts: 47
    edited October 2015
    Do these come with instructions? And are they anywhere online I could print them?  My sister got these for her kid and when she handed them off to us later there weren't any instructions.  I figured out how to build it based off photos but I like having the instructions on file for any build we have. (Oh, I was actually talking about last months jeep, but it should apply to all pick a models)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    @Prin12s  As far as I know there aren't any but if you go to this thread there is a link to someone's Flicker account showing a picture of the instructions. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/19355/pick-a-model-april-fools-from-lego/p1
  • KiltyONealKiltyONeal Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 27
    Prin12s said:
    Do these come with instructions? And are they anywhere online I could print them? 
    The insert in the plastic pack is a book that has the list of pieces and the instructions.  I haven't seen any of the PAM instructions posted online by Lego.
  • Prin12sPrin12s OklahomaMember Posts: 47
    Thanks for the picture!!  I understand them not putting the current ones out, I mean that's the only reason to pay the $5 IMO, but I wish they would post the old ones like all the other sets.
  • KiltyONealKiltyONeal Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 27
    I was playing around with LDD and was able to build the models from the pictures I took and generate some HTML instructions.  I included the LXF files for LDD in case anybody wants to modify them.
    JenniPrin12s
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,423
    A large container could probably make 10 pandas for $18 (?)!
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    edited October 2015
    ^I easily fit 8 Panda's into my large PAB cup, I'd almost lean towards 12 as a possibility. 

It appears that since my Lego PAB wall is about the smallest out there I only get the Panda model. so MMV. 

Here's the link to my Flickr page with the instructions for the Panda Model. https://flic.kr/p/z5Rz86
    KiltyONeal
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    the parts for some of these minibuilds have been great! I've needed about 500 black cheese slopes for a moc for about a year, but have fought off the urge to order on bricklink at 3-5 cents per. Now I was able to not only get those, but a few other pieces in bulk that I've wanted for mocs.

Sorry if certain pieces get bought up over a weekend, but certain parts will disappear in bulk - as to be expected. One lady got mad at me, and tried to insult me by calling me a reseller. Um, 1/4 a cup of cheese slices doesn't keep a reseller in business. I happily told her that I needed the pieces for a train project. I wasn't looking for a conversation, but she kept talking to me. I guess my look of "They have the piece I want. Let me be in my own little world" somehow translated into "Want to hear about my collection!"

In the end, glad to see black cheese slopes, and that 1x2 plate with the white cheese slope (found on Panda ear). Have wanted that one for a roof line of another moc for a while. I did notice that the yellow tire rims don't stay in stock.

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    Interesting. ^ I have had the opposite experience. Before these models, I was able to find pieces I needed for projects. I have not been able to find anything since they have started these. I also feel there was more variation in terms of color before this change over. I have not bought anything from the PAB wall since. I am glad you found the piece you needed, though.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    While Im not a fan of these mini models taking up like 8-10 bins I do find that most models have at least 3-4 part types I would not mind stocking up on (at least, parts I have not seen before in the wall). It is a bit amusing that someone resorts to calling anyone buying x of a part a reseller though. I think some people have too much time on their hands.
    I also know that the  folks that work at the store I frequent do discourage anyone from trying to empty one bin of a certain part of they know that it is for a mini model that is to be constructed. Though it would be interesting to see a 1x2 masonry brick appear in a build and see how best they can restrict people from trying to buy up the bin on that part.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    I feel bad for the store staff.  First, they lost control over all PAB wall ordering.  Previously they had a fairly decent list of items to choose from, and could order accordingly based upon inventory levels, what moves in the store in general, and even special box orders for customers. Now they get sent whatever LEGO wants to send them.  Then it gets even worse with this PAM stuff where they send highly desirable parts in limited quantities and put the store staff in a no-win situation of trying to be the "wall police"
    madforLEGOkrklintlego007
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    I agree. I'm a bit spoiled, being back in Minnesota, near the very large PAB wall at the Mall of America. When I lived in Miami, the Adventura Mall PAB wall was very small, and was a better wall (for part choice) before these minibuilds were added to the wall. It was one way the manager at one store used to connect with the MOCers who visited. He'd actually ask us for input on a brick or color we'd like to see on the wall. That option did seem to disappear for him :/
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    When they first changed this policy, I was filling a small container with 2x2 grey tiles, the manager of the store (who knows me by sight) came over and politely told me that those parts could not be purchased in bulk because they were part of the model.  I apologized and he asked me if 2x2 tan tiles would suffice.  I said yes and he brought me a large PAB cup full to the top out of the back and let me have it for free.  
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    ^ Honestly I would fill out the customer survey or contact LEGO CS about that.  If you have a PAB wall that you can buy parts by the cup, and then not let people buy them by the cup, something is wrong.  I haven't had any issue buying cups of the parts used in the models.  The only thing I could see a store doing is asking not to clean them out of a part if it is low.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    edited October 2015
    graphite said:
    ^ Honestly I would fill out the customer survey or contact LEGO CS about that.  If you have a PAB wall that you can buy parts by the cup, and then not let people buy them by the cup, something is wrong.  I haven't had any issue buying cups of the parts used in the models.  The only thing I could see a store doing is asking not to clean them out of a part if it is low.
    My local store told me that LEGO corporate informed the stores that they cannot allow someone to buy a part in bulk that could stop someone from making the PaB model displayed.

That being said, They let me fill two cups with about half a cup each of 2x2 grey tiles. Now that being said I was also buying other parts and not filling up one cup with nothing but a part (and no I was not trying to circumvent the rules, I filled up a cup and realized there were other parts I also wanted so I grabbed another cup). So like many other policies it is YMMV in regards to how strict the store is with its policies
    Ah, sounded like they wouldn't let you buy any at all, but definitely YMMV.  I've gone in the first week of each of the new sets and bought large cups each of various parts.
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 272

New pick a models for 1st quarter 2016:

http://stores.lego.com/en-us/worldwide-news/pick-a-model-less-than-85?share

Interesting they are only running one at a time.  Possible response to complaints about too many bins being taken by the PAMs, or that one model always outsold the other.

Lots of nice pieces in the elephant.  LBG 1x2, 2x2 roof tile and 1x1 with stud on the side, DBG 1x2, 1x4. 1x2 roof tile and 2x2 inverted slope.

KiltyONeal
    The size of the stores wall determines if the store had one or both of the models.  Think they changed that with the second set of models.  The store I visit the most is the only of the 4 in the area that only gets one of the models.
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 272
    The store by me had both simultaneously for the first couple of quarters, but only had the elephant this time.  I think the display said the elephant was available through February 16th and then the plane will be available. 
  • JenniJenni USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Nashville has both but Birmingham just has the plane. Birmingham is a much smaller store.