Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    Agreed.  Makes for a fun build. I'm most interested in the floor on the main floor of the bank.  Those new tile elements look great! The printing on the Windows around the first floor are awesome, as well.  January seems so far away!
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Looks great! I really like the two lateral entrances and the inclusion of the laundry mat. 

I know a lot of you have mixed opinions on the evolution of the modulars, but I'm very happy with "Gen 2". I could never really get into the modulars before PR but have liked everything since then. This is now a theme that I can get behind and am excited for. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,139
    I really like the redesigned sidewalk tree.  I'll be replacing those on the older modulars.  

Stacked up brown cylinders are suddenly very passe.

They did a great job on this!
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Loving the arm and hook. Would suit being a floor bigger to make it more of a house, Amsterdam-esque.
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 128
    edited October 2015

Looks great.

The laundry is nice,it will fit perfectly with the barber shop poolhal and detectives office. The bank looks very good but the combination of bank+laundry somehow feels out of place,like they both belong in a different street/part of town.

The bank section fits nicely with buildings like townhall,fire department,grand emporium. The laundry fits more with the detectives office/barber and pet shop.

The combination of the 2 feels slightly out of place and maybe would have preffered a mid building being a bank only,leaving the laundry for another combination type building as detectives office is.

Will get it as soon as its available,been looking forward to the next modular for a few months now. Still hoping the ghost busters hq will become real on modular format.

• BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 759
    edited October 2015
    Just when the street scene in the Lego room started to take shape, along comes something to change it.  Roll on January!
  • brownbricks720brownbricks720 Cleveland, OhioMember Posts: 47
    I want to know the story or play feature behind this one.
    RidzDesignSumoLegoAdeelZubairbrickupdateJern92
  • RidzDesignRidzDesign Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2015
    Wow... I totally called a bank in the original post and the corner building... I am really looking forward to this... I just wish it was taller... 
  • Earl9371Earl9371 Member Posts: 12
    Folks in the US - any idea how long it takes a retailer like WalMart to get a set like this? I have a $150 giftcard burning a hole in my pocket and would love to use it for this in January, but I don;t know how long it takes for these to become available.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Laundering money. How clandestine. I guess the cookie mafia has to clean their money somewhere =)
    BumblepantsSirBenPitfall69Goldchains
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,486
    at first glance, looks inferior to parisian restaurant and detective office, but still interesting.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,804
    Ummm, anyone else notice the price? 169.99 USD now?!
    TXLegoguy
    Getting into Town Hall price range...

The Ferris Wheel is $199.99, so it's not unprecedented by any means.
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited October 2015
    With the price of the Bank at $169 (US) they will probably retire the cheaper priced PetShop & Palace Cinema sets soon.For those who passed on a LARGE $200 Town Hall,the new price point will only make you wish you had bought one once you compare the size.
    Sethro3
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Like - the design and overall look. Dislike - decided to make a modular bank as my first large MOC and am 75% done. Grrrrr. 
    Pitfall69BuriedinBricks
    ^ I was starting to cannibalize the GBHQ out of a Fire Brigade.  Thankfully, that's on hold.

(Assuming the rumors are true.)
    Yodaliciouskiki180703Pitfall69Sethro3
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    Looks like there are some Nexo Knights parts in this set, shield tile pieces for the floor on the first floor and sword handles on the roof. Everything looks amazing, going to have to buy this one. :)
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    Adzbadboy said:
    "Fine I'll Do It Myself..."

This better not be another Town Hall... :/

I guess it's not so HTF now..

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=110&itemID=952
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    One thing I can't figure out is why the building is tan in one pic, and white in the others? I do prefer it in white. 
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    Tan:

White:

• BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    It's white. Bad lighting and discoloration in certain renderings. 
    tfranklin84bobabricks
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited October 2015
    I love the design and some of the parts usage and techniques.

But I will also inject my now annual complaint about the ever-shrinking size of the Modular lineup, along with continued diminishment of their value proposition
    Sethro3
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    is it just me, or is anyone else noticing that the interior wall between bank and laundry doesn't appear to not actually extend to the 1st floor ceiling?  there's like a 4 brick high gap.   weird...

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,770
    edited October 2015
    ^ Given the tile finish, I expect it's removable to allow easy play access.  There's an exposed stud on top of the washers, unless that's to attach the soap powder.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    dougts said:
    is it just me, or is anyone else noticing that the interior wall between bank and laundry doesn't appear to not actually extend to the 1st floor ceiling?  there's like a 4 brick high gap.   weird...
    The upper floor would effectively fit within the lower. And considering your earlier comments about floor area, once again there's a nice big hole - which begs the question why you need both the lofty ceiling downstairs and the cut-away floor upstairs.

The modulars are clever on several levels - including when it comes to wasting space!
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    what piece is that for the vault gold handle?  I'm not sure what to call it on BL.  Also, is that the play feature -- the chimney gap?  There's a tan technic connector in that wall- perhaps some dastardly crooks sneak in via a hidden wall space!?
    edited October 2015
    TigerMoth said:
    dougts said:
    The upper floor would effectively fit within the lower.
    I don't think the upper floor wall extends down into the ground floor as you wouldn't be able to sit the first floor flat on a table in isolation. 
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    Ahh, I missed the roof @LegoTT posted:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5015319/uploads/editor/nu/pszh5b2cl4g8.jpeg

There's our cat burglar!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,877
    Looks like there are some Nexo Knights parts in this set, shield tile pieces for the floor on the first floor and sword handles on the roof. Everything looks amazing, going to have to buy this one. :)
    Good spotting on the shields, but I think the parts you're identifying as "sword handles" are actually keys from the Elves theme — unless you're looking at a different part of the roof than I am.
    Dedgecko said:
    what piece is that for the vault gold handle?  I'm not sure what to call it on BL.  Also, is that the play feature -- the chimney gap?  There's a tan technic connector in that wall- perhaps some dastardly crooks sneak in via a hidden wall space!?
    The gold vault handle is 48723, and also came in the Tower Bridge set.

I imagine the wall between the two buildings not going up all the way on the lower floor is probably to make it easier to reach inside the relatively tiny laundromat.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 574
    "printed ground-floor windows" again!
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 954
    One thing I can't figure out is why the building is tan in one pic, and white in the others? I do prefer it in white. 
    Quality control issue.  Request a set not outsourced if you want white. :)
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    The new modular looks great! I too love how they integrated two buildings on the corner. Love the playability feature with the bank heist (or will this be a cookie heist?) 

But PLEASE, can we get back on topic here? I need to know if Market Street really is a modular or not!?!?!?

:) 
    kiki180703LegoboyJern92The_Mad_VulcanVorpalRyuJELJ1SbricktuaryGoldchainsSalamalex
    ^ Depends if you own it it seems.
    VorpalRyu
  • pikachu84pikachu84 Member Posts: 2
    lol...cafe corner was introduce first at 2007. 9years 9modular till 2015this year. how could it be 10modulars in 9years?
    BrickDancer
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 635
    edited October 2015
    looking at the leaked set is looks like 40221 is January free set to go along with the new modular
    MrJ_NYHangedSanchez
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 272
    edited October 2015
    CircleK said:

I know a lot of you have mixed opinions on the evolution of the modulars, but I'm very happy with "Gen 2". I could never really get into the modulars before PR but have liked everything since then. This is now a theme that I can get behind and am excited for. 

^ This is exactly, word-for-word how I feel.  I love PR but couldn't see staring with the "outlier", especially as so many early ones were retired!  Seeing DA and now BB, I agree with the "trilogy" concept or Mod 2.0 or, whatever!!! 

There's a cohesive design asthetic to these 3 and I'm (finally) in for these latest 3!!!
    dragon114 said:
    looking at the leaked set is looks like 40221 is January free set to go along with the new modular
    Very cool. Would be a great freebie. I just realized you can turn that statue into a woman with the included hair piece!  Perhaps even a bearded lady?
    VorpalRyuJELJ1S
  • dafishdafish Copenhagen, not too far from BillundMember Posts: 35
    Excellent. Exactly what I had hoped for.
  • 3stackshs3stackshs Member Posts: 299
    dafish said:
    A Bearded Lady?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,988
    I'm in two minds about where the modulars are now going. Despite packing in a lot of detail, this one looks so small. Then the play feature of the cat burglar coming down the chute that presumably gives her access to the safe via a swinging wall/panel where the technic pin is. Seems like wasted space in an already small building to make a play feature.

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Legoboy said:

^ Depends if you own it it seems.
    Or, more likely, whether you own it depends on what you think.
    CCC said:

Despite packing in a lot of detail, this one looks so small.
    Isn't this said fairly regularly? And doesn't it work out that sucessive ones are smaller until they jack up both the part count and the price and start the cycle again?
    The alternative is a larger set with considerably less interior detail.
    CurvedRoadPlate
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    ^ which for some, works just fine - once built, I don't really look inside it. So if greater exterior detail was at the expense of interior detail, I'd be ok with that. But I'm not everyone, of course - and no doubt there's a sizable section of the market who buy these expecting there to be interior detail, and TLG need to recognize that too.
    SumoLegodougtsoldtodd33pharmjodBrickDancerSethro3
    edited October 2015
    ^ Would I buy a minifigure scale Freedom Tower with no interior detail?  Yes.

Anyway, I think the comparison is with the CC, that doesn't have much interior detail at all.

For whatever it's worth, the playability features are a pretty central focus to the more recent modulars.  Another stark difference from the Architecture and the Landmark Creator sets.
  • dafishdafish Copenhagen, not too far from BillundMember Posts: 35
    3stackshs said:
    dafish said:
    A Bearded Lady?
    not sure what happened but certainly even bearded ladies will find their lovers ;-)

What I praised was simply that my wish came true: bank. corner, two entrances
    3stackshs
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    Seemingly this set was designed by Jamie Berard, not Marcos Bessa as many thought:

aldreddCCCCircleKAdeelZubairPitfall69brickupdate
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    The new set looks great. And so does that "freebie" park scene.
    What if we started getting large modulars with no interiors at a Town Hall price point.  Interior details could be purchased separately as small kits (like large sized holiday vignettes). 

Would never happen, but I bet an interiorless TH sized modular would be $200 these days. Simply because we'd probably pay for it...
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Wasn't something similar the rumor about a year ago? Not the interiorless modular, but add-on packs for them that included furniture, accessories, etc. I seem to remember reading that this was eventually coming, but no one knew when. Probably just a rumor, but interesting.