Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Dawn said:

Would be funny if it was a re-release of Market Street ;-)

An exact replica, we then get to see how many of those who hate on MS actually go out an buy the re-release.

Realistically though I am sure MS would not be the first choice for a re-release.

VorpalRyu
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    Basta said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    .Jdawg said:
    So if I throw away a box, I don't own that set anymore?   

Instructions and box have no bearing on the owning of a set.   Do you play or display the box and instructions?   

I would think that having the bricks to build the set means you have it.  
    For the love of all that is Holy...Not this again :)

LOL, you loved that discussion :P

While we are at it here is the Lego dragon set #3724 that I don't own ;)

No...No. I think you enjoy me blowing a head gasket over the subject :)

...and no, I am not taking the bait yet again. 
    BastapharmjodVorpalRyukiki180703Amanda1983
  • Rebrick37112Rebrick37112 Member Posts: 8
    I always considered Market Street a modular. In the Detective Office designer video, Jamie says this is the 10th in the line. 
    FollowsCloselyVorpalRyukiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,873
    edited October 2015
    Salamalex said:
    Having read the last 50 comments can I safely assume that nobody has the slightest idea what the 2016 modular might be? ;)
    Bingo.  Although I'm not sure if we know what the 2015 Modular actually is.  Seems so long ago...

(And despite it being ugly, I would definitely buy a re-release of Market Street.)
    bobabricksVorpalRyukiki180703
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 568
    Maybe for the 2016 modular we'll get a Cafe Corner re-released and updated as a bank in the Market Street color scheme, with sausages.
    VorpalRyuSumoLegodafishJELJ1S
    ^ And Hoth SPACE SKULLS!
    VorpalRyu
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 583
    @SumoLego Your really pushing for the comeback of space skulls aren't you.
    SumoLegoVorpalRyu
    I figure if we can rule out the truly absurd, we can live with whatever they come up with.  And I've been humming the theme to Spaceballs, but exclaiming 'Space Skulls'.

kiki180703VorpalRyuRainstorm26dafishgmonkey76bobabricks
  • brownbricks720brownbricks720 Cleveland, OhioMember Posts: 47
    Is the glass half empty or half full?
    Why did my mom ever buy me megablocks when I was a kid?
    Is the market street a modular building?
    Why did lego re-release the Toy Shop?
    Did Han Solo shoot first?

These are all questions that I ponder and that is why I can't sleep at night. I am just looking for some answers. 
    VorpalRyudafishRonyar
    Yes.
    Probably, but inadvertently.
    Yes, technically.
    Only this year.
    Hell, yeah!  Greedo is a putz.
    brownbricks720
  • dafishdafish Copenhagen, not too far from BillundMember Posts: 35
    Fatalist or not, I'm still intrigued by the idea it could be a bank or a post office. Certainly a corner building, desperately in need of one (no time to build my own yet, still one year to go to retirement)
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    I'm really hoping for a bank, personally. Of course they could fit a bank and post office in the same modular. Perhaps on two base plates?
    dafishRonyarkiki180703
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    If nothing else, doesn't the MS 'real or no real' argument dispel the assumption that a re-release of an earlier modular would break the 'i must collect the whole set' / completest argument?
    ie, those saying a re-release would put off existing collectors from going on to want all subsequent releases; surely if that were true we'd already see that?
  • KovJonasKovJonas SerbiaMember Posts: 36
    I saw on eurobricks forum that the next modular will be released on april 1st, 2016. From EB:

"Planned dates are:

january 1st - landmark set (220€)
    april 1st - modular Building (150€)
    july 1st - new IP action theme (Ghostbusters) - (350€) "

If you ask me, I'd like to see a Café Corner re-release. Like the WV Toy Shop. I have the old version of it (10199), and I have some other WV sets too. My favorite is still the Toy Shop and I was very happy when I saw the new version of it. I won't buy it, because I have the older version, so now I have $70 for something else. For example I can spend that money + $80 for the next modular building, eh? So I think that set re-release is a great thing. And I think LEGO fans who couldn't buy itthe Toy Shop back in 2010...they are now very-very happy.

I am a modular building collector. I have all the modulars from Grand Emporium. And I like them all. I like the older ones too, but I can't spend $1000-$2500 for the older modulars, so I'd like to see a re-released Café Corner or Green Grocer.

VorpalRyudafishRsa33The_Mad_VulcanMynattJern92snowhitie
    edited October 2015
    KovJonas, I enjoyed reading your intervention. Saving money by taking advantage of a re-release is an interesting aspect indeed. I have all the modulars from Cafe Corner in my "collection" (boxes thrown out though so no real "investment") except the market place which I don't consider a modular. Need another corner build for symmetry reasons. The next modular only in 2016 is another saving for 2015...
    KovJonas
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @KovJonas how would you feel about a Grand Emporium Re-release next year instead? 
    SumoLegoFollowsClosely
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited October 2015
    dafish said:
    I have all the modulars from Cafe Corner in my "collection" (boxes thrown out though so no real "investment")
    This isn't true.  While I agree the box can (though not always) add something to the collectibility and ultimate resale, premier sets remain quite valuable, box or not.
    madforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,581
    Not spending is different to saving. No-one is forcing anyone to buy winter village models or modulars.

Remember re-releases also devalue collections. Which is not important if you are never going to sell, but is important if you ever buy thinking if I no longer like this in a couple of years then I can get most of my money back, even if I've built it.
    dafishDraug
    edited October 2015
    dafish said:
    KovJonas, I enjoyed reading your intervention. Saving money by taking advantage of a re-release is an interesting aspect indeed. I have all the modulars from Cafe Corner in my "collection" (boxes thrown out though so no real "investment") except the market place which I don't consider a modular. Need another corner build for symmetry reasons. The next modular only in 2016 is another saving for 2015...

@dafish Thanks! I contacted many people in last 2 years about the Green Grocer. I actually wrote a letter to LEGO company and some people from LEGO and LEGO (or LUG) Ambassadors. They were really kind, but they couldn't help me getting the Green Grocer. I started a personal crowdfunding project too, but I haven't got any money. Maybe that was a silly thing. My motto is "Never give up!", so I will never give up. Hope dies last. (Sorry for OFF.) :)

@KovJonas how would you feel about a Grand Emporium Re-release next year instead? 

@BrickDancer It would be great. I love that building, and I have it. I wouldn't buy it, but maybe I could build a custom modular instead (for it's price)... just be positive, people. ;)
    dafishJenni
    Look guys, I understand you. If you have already the café corner, you probably wouldn't be happy if LEGO would re-release it. But what about the new LEGO fans? Or maybe someone just got back from the "dark ages"...hm? Or let's see a random boy (or girl, why not?) who was 6 year old in 2007. That boy is now 14. Maybe he would like to buy that set, but a 14 year old boy hasn't got $2500 for a single LEGO set.
    dafishVorpalRyukiki180703Jern92
    @KovJonas, I couldn't agree more with your previous point that re-releases enable folks including the young generation to purchase what they may have missed out earlier (or due to lack of funds). Good luck with your fundraising! Ever considered selling sets you don't like/can't use any more on eBay? Or maybe there aren't any :-) ...
    KovJonasVorpalRyu
    @KovJonas I respect your POV and its yours to own, but I whole heartedly disagree for man reasons. By your rationale, that means Lego needs to reboot its offerings every 10 years to enable every small child that is born. This is unrealistic and very self centered type of thinking, borderline 'entitlement'. Lego should always move forward with new designs, never reversing and reissuing any existing set outside of the City theme. 

And your rationale that you're happy a re-release happened because that means you can skip it and save money is again a self serving view that doesn't give a flip about all those that got shafted. Nobody is forcing you to continue buying anything, but to be happy that others are deprived as well is shallow.
    We have our own arguments, so we can support our opinions. And yes, maybe I have self serving view, sorry. Anyway, I will fight for my dreams, maybe one day I will have more money, so I can buy the older modulars too. :) And again sorry for the OFF.

Let's see what will be the next modular building... :)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861

KovJonas said:
    Look guys, I understand you. If you have already the café corner, you probably wouldn't be happy if LEGO would re-release it. But what about the new LEGO fans? Or maybe someone just got back from the "dark ages"...hm? Or let's see a random boy (or girl, why not?) who was 6 year old in 2007. That boy is now 14. Maybe he would like to buy that set, but a 14 year old boy hasn't got $2500 for a single LEGO set.
    I think one of the concerns about modular building re-releases is that the audience for a brand-new one is generally going to be larger than the audience for a re-release. People who own the original might not want a re-release, but a lot of people will be hyped for a brand-new building whether or not they have the early installments in the series.

Additionally, the Modular Buildings series has evolved considerably over the years. New modular buildings have fully-furnished interiors, unlike the originals. Beyond that, as Jamie has pointed out on these very forums, there are molds used for the Cafe Corner which don't exist any longer, up to and including the front door. Adding an interior would drive up the price even more than inflation already has, and changing some of those classic molds for newer molds that require more substantial rebuilding would hurt its sense of authenticity for many old-school buyers.

By contrast, the Winter Village Toy Shop doesn't feel nearly so "obsolete" compared to newer installments, mostly needed only minor changes to feel consistent in quality and content with the more recent Winter Village sets.
    KovJonasmadforLEGOPitfall69
    KovJonas said:
    Surely new lego fans or these random boys or girls can enjoy a new set just as much as they would enjoy a remake of an old one. In fact, probably more than the old one. There really isn't anything special about CC other than some people don't have it. They will not reproduce it exactly anyway, so new collectors will still not have the old one.

Why remake old sets with a limited market (new collectors only) when they can make new ones to appeal to collectors new and old. The only reasons I can see is if (1) they run out of ideas or (2) they run out of time for designing it. What happened for the Winter Village set is anyone's guess - probably (1). Let's wait and see if it impacts sales and whether lego decide to rehash another "collectable" set.

dougtsmadforLEGOBumblepants
  • odueckodueck Member Posts: 48
    @KovJonas I respect your POV and its yours to own, but I whole heartedly disagree for man reasons. By your rationale, that means Lego needs to reboot its offerings every 10 years to enable every small child that is born. This is unrealistic and very self centered type of thinking, borderline 'entitlement'. Lego should always move forward with new designs, never reversing and reissuing any existing set outside of the City theme. 
    And demanding a constant stream of new and original products isn't entitlement?

aldreddthedingman5VorpalRyukiki180703Jern92matticus_bricksdafishFollowsClosely
    KovJonas said:
    We have our own arguments, so we can support our opinions. And yes, maybe I have self serving view, sorry. Anyway, I will fight for my dreams, maybe one day I will have more money, so I can buy the older modulars too. :) And again sorry for the OFF.

Let's see what will be the next modular building... :)
    I don't mean to sound like an a$$, but if you put the same effort into making more money than you do trying to get Lego to re-release sets that you've missed, you probably would have enough money to purchase those sets.

It'a novel idea ;)
    natro220BrickDancerkiki180703oldtodd33pharmjod
    edited October 2015
    ^^No @odueck, because that is the natural way it works with Lego. Them coming out with something new versus a rehash is a huge difference in ratio based on historical data.

Just review their entire catalog of over 50 years and tell me that isn't the case. Out of thousands of sets released over this time period, how many were exact Re-releases of existing sets?

Re-Release:
    Entire "Legends" line that was a complete and utter failure.
    Maersk Container Ship
    Winter Village Toyshop
    Shuttle Adventure/Expedition

Can you imagine any other product that should be rehashed exactly? Art, nope. Cars, nope. Electronics, nope. Fashion, nope. Time moves forward, so does everything else. So why do you expect Lego to buck this and rehash the same thing over and over just because someone new doesn't have the old?

Entitlement: Bias towards the self or few without concern for the greater good of the whole.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    aldredd said:
    If nothing else, doesn't the MS 'real or no real' argument dispel the assumption that a re-release of an earlier modular would break the 'i must collect the whole set' / completest argument?
    ie, those saying a re-release would put off existing collectors from going on to want all subsequent releases; surely if that were true we'd already see that?
    Would you like to explain that a bit more?

There hasn't been a re-release of anything that might be called a modular and, whether or not you have Market Street, you can claim to have the full set (if you have the rest) depending on what you believe is part of the series.

You also have to be careful when you say "re-release" - that can mean something that people consider to be identical to the original or something very similar as with the new toy shop. I hesitate to use the word "identical", because the first and last copies of a single set are quite likely not to be strictly identical, as parts change, but that may depend on how large a magnifying glass you use.
    CCC said:

Why remake old sets with a limited market (new collectors only) when they can make new ones to appeal to collectors new and old. The only reasons I can see is if (1) they run out of ideas or (2) they run out of time for designing it. What happened for the Winter Village set is anyone's guess - probably (1). Let's wait and see if it impacts sales and whether lego decide to rehash another "collectable" set.

Or they want to add some uncertainty to make resellers think twice about stockpiling - especially if it they can use a line where they've also run out of ideas.

Winter Village is a little unusual in that it has an additional market - people who buy one after the other as Christmas gimmicks, but aren't actually collecting them and so won't feel a need to get them all.
    odueck said:

And demanding a constant stream of new and original products isn't entitlement?
    It's called business. TLG want money; they have to produce something that a sufficient number of consumers want to buy. If McDonalds stopped selling burgers, people would eat something or somewhere else.
    @BrickDancer , the Legends line and some of the other Re-Releases weren't exact copies of the original. Aside from the boxes, there were several different alterations.

Also, contrary to popular belief, owning a rehash of a previous Modular set does not complete your collection. If you believe that, you are only fooling yourself ;)
    SumoLego
    edited October 2015
    ^Yea I know, but that's as close to a Re-release as we can get once part obsoletion is taken into account. If the entire object has not been fully overhauled then it falls into Re-release.

A Re-hash is when it's the same object but completely redesigned build like Red Five, Sopwith Camel, King's Castle, Brickbeard Bounty (less so), etc. I'm mostly against these as well for the same reason that we've already had these issued. But the major changes to the build experience is sufficient and not as egregious as a full on Re-release.
    Pitfall69dougts
    LEGO : "Conan!!! What's best in life?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    LEGO:  "we hate those evil resellers"
    LEGO: "Hey, let's keep coming up with all these various ways to create limited run, short availability items that are highly desirable"

kiki180703madforLEGOBumblepantsJern92FollowsClosely
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    dougts said:

LEGO: "Hey, let's keep coming up with all these various ways to create limited run, short availability items that are highly desirable"
    If TLG have an issue with resellers, we don't necessarily know why. I suspect it's not the limited editions that are contentious, but things which are supposed to have a more general longer-term appeal and yet sell out the instant they touch the shelves. So another production run is organised which then doesn't sell very well at all.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861
    dougts said:
    So many people seems to have gotten it into their heads that LEGO hates resellers. I've never seen nor heard any indication to support this. As far as I've seen, LEGO doesn't particularly care one way or the other about resellers except when resellers start doing things that cause problems for the LEGO Group's core business. And I can't really see how that's really any different from any other company in the world.

The LEGO Group's supposed "anti-reseller" tactics like putting a per-customer limit on certain sets are really just efforts to ensure that there's enough of those sets for everyone. Limited items, on the other hand, are usually limited by design. There's no hypocrisy in continuing to release those while also trying to keep other sets as widely available as possible.
    timinchicago
    I don't think Lego cares about resellers of modulars. They don't seem to have stock control issues with them like they do with the kid popular sets, especially the ones parents are trying to buy at Christmas.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,345
    Weren't there some re-releases on the early SW sets ? Like #7140 / #7142 ?
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Most City sets are rehashes of earlier ones. SW too, HP also.  

And while I'd love a CC rerelease,  I'd hate it to be at the expense of a new JB design.
    Mynatt
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    TLG employee 1: "Let's build a super weapon to destroy those resellers."
    TLG employee 2:"I know what we can call it. The Death Star."
    kiki180703mr.piggles
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    edited October 2015
    The 2016 Modular will be a hodgepodge of various colored bricks,which you then have to stare at without focusing on the actual bricks.Kind of like those Magic Eye pictures so everyone can see whatever you wish it to be.Some may see something new,some may see a re-release,everyones happy,problem solved.
    SumoLego
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,759
    edited October 2015
    Rsa33 said:

Figured this was an appropriate place to post this (05 by oasis v jo) lol.

You have no idea how much that image haunts me.  Any UK based parent with a child up to 13 years old will feel my pain.

bobabricksMatthewRsa33kiki180703GoldchainsPeteMMattsWhatGothamConstructionCoAdeelZubair
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    edited October 2015
    I wish they would re-release the IF. I have one NISB in my closet and it's really hard for me to crack it open and build it cause it's worth so much. I'm kidding of course (not about have a constant internal debate about opening it, but the re-release part).

I collect Lego sets because they are unique, hardly ever replicated, and have value. I would hate it if re-releasing became more common.

-Notice I said nothing about reselling...
    SumoLego
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ build it.  it's an awesome set, and doubt we will ever see a sailing ship with that much to it again
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 951
    edited October 2015
    Earlier in this thread I've posted a link to a conversation a year ago discussing if MS is classified as a modular or not.  Seems that many didn't bother to read and/or understand what was referenced regarding MS being a modular.  So, just to keep this thread alive, I'll argue that MS is indeed a modular and was marketed so in the beginning.  Here's my proof using Lego catalogs to see how MS was first introduced and marketed.

In my Spring 2007 catalog, CC was first introduced and described as a modular construction set.

In Summer 2007 catalog, MS appeared on the opposite page of CC, and described a a modular construction set designed by a LEGO fan (Factory theme).  A picture is shown showing both CC and MS combined with a caption, "Combine Cafe Corner and Market Street for an amazing street layout!"  Also, in the MS description, it states, "The modular construction allows you to put it together in different ways and to enlarge the LEGO neighborhood as your collection grow!"

In Early Spring 2008 catalog, GG first appeared and showed a street layout picture with CC, MS and CG combined.  MS last appearance was in the the January 2009 catalog.

In the Summer 2009 catalog, only CC and GG appeared with no combined street layout picture.

In Fall 2009 catalog, FB was introduced and a street layout picture showing CC, GG and FB - with no MS.  This makes sense since production of MS ended before CC.  Why depict MS on the FB is it's already EOL.  CC stayed around longer thus is was displayed on the box besides MS.

I'm convinced that MS has always been part of the modular building line even though it was first introduced under the Factory theme.  If it wasn't for the wording and pictures showing both CC and MS together when MS was first introduced, then I might of thought differently
    Aanchiroldtodd33Mynattbluedragonkiki180703bobabricksdafishmadforLEGOSumoLego