Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,549
    Kavster said:
    Fauch said:

I think it's about the way they are built, with floors that can be removed, sometimes swapped, also if you have several of the same set, you can stack multiple intermediaire floors to gain more height.

I have to agree with this.
    A definition of "Module" is:

each of a set of standardized parts or independent units that can be used to construct a more complex structure, such as an item of furniture or a building.

The independent units (being each floor of the building), is what settles it for me.
    That definition equally well applies to individual buildings (modules) that form a larger structure (the street).
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Fauch said:

I doubt they are called modular because they can be joined together. I can put 2 sets next to each other without using any pin and it's basically the same.

I think it's about the way they are built, with floors that can be removed, sometimes swapped, also if you have several of the same set, you can stack multiple intermediaire floors to gain more height.

There's a standard that was published, which includes plugging them  together, the size, the scale,  the space the building itself should occupy and the way floors can be separated. And probably lots of other things.  Don't forget the idea was that different people would design them and they would all be compatible.
    curious said:
    Is http://brickset.com/sets/31050-1/Corner-Deli one of the creator 3-in-1 sets? I think so but I'm not sure given that its a corner building.
    Yes. There are pictures around if you look hard enough. Alond with the Lakeside Lodge, the dog (Park Animals) and some vehicles.
    Amanda1983
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,418
    TigerMoth said:
    SumoLego said:
    I think most people who don't consider Market Street a modular just missed out on it and don't want to spend the money on it now. I bricklinked it. It's ugly but I have it. It is what it is.
    There ought to consensus that the set is ugly.
    I can't see why anybody in their right mind would BrickLink it, but then, there's no accounting for taste.

As for people who don't consider Market Street a modular, most of them didn't consider it modular when it was still on the shelves. That's how the debates started - they didn't want to buy it and were looking for a good excuse!
    I bricklinked it because I felt like it AND because I can afford to do so. If you don't like it then don't bricklink it. Sorry if you can't "see" that. 
    Amanda1983
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,852
    Um, I'm going to cancel my Bricklink Order for half of a T-Rex for my Space Skulls modular.
    VorpalRyuJELJ1Sccjwprongskiki180703Amanda1983
    Bosstone100 said:

I bricklinked it because I felt like it AND because I can afford to do so. If you don't like it then don't bricklink it. Sorry if you can't "see" that. 
    I see lots of things - including you making stupid comments about the reason some people don't consider Market Street to be a modular.

Many people made an active decision not to purchase the set because it wasn't considered to be part of the series. They didn't "miss out". Why did you have to BrickLink it? Why did you "miss out" at the time? Or perhaps you weren't there at the time?

Many people have become interested in the modulars since the first few went out of production, and who have consequently wanted to purchase those they don't have on the secondary market. They, of course, were also likely not to have "been there" at the time.

There has long seemed to be steady gentle pressure to change history, and persuade people, who aren't aware of either what happened or the discussions on the subject at the time, to include it. As a  result it is the now the most expensive of all such sets. Yet it is also the smallest and, not withstanding that there are people who don't dislike it, I doubt there are very many who rank it as their favourite.

So I think it's wrong for somebody to come along and add fuel to that by suggesting that those who say that Market Street is not a modular have a personal ulterior motive for doing so.
    Angel_C
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,549
    TigerMoth said:
    SumoLego said:
    I think most people who don't consider Market Street a modular just missed out on it and don't want to spend the money on it now. I bricklinked it. It's ugly but I have it. It is what it is.
    I can't see why anybody in their right mind would BrickLink it, but then, there's no accounting for taste.

As for people who don't consider Market Street a modular, most of them didn't consider it modular when it was still on the shelves. That's how the debates started - they didn't want to buy it and were looking for a good excuse!
    If they needed a good excuse not to buy something when they didn't want to buy it, then clearly there must be some ambiguity.
    Amanda1983
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    when is the ninjago movie coming out? thinking of hoarding ninjago en masse
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    brumey said:
    when is the ninjago movie coming out? thinking of hoarding ninjago en masse
    That's nice.
    Dedgecko
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    brumey said:
    ...thinking of hoarding ninjago en masse

DedgeckoBumblepantsRainstorm26kiki180703
    CCC said:

If they needed a good excuse not to buy something when they didn't want to buy it, then clearly there must be some ambiguity.
    It simply adhered to the modular standard. When it was released, people just didn't know whether TLG had changed how any such series was to be marketed. Subsequent sets showed they hadn't.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    Market Street is like a prequel UCS Star Wars set.   
    SumoLegoTheLoneTensorRsa33matticus_bricksherbyderby
  • JdawgJdawg St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada Member Posts: 83
    In my group of lego friends, MS is not a modular.  

Currently I have a BL'd CC and GG, and have bought original copies of all but PR and DO.  When I buy the last two, I will consider my line complete.  That is until we hear of the new one.  

Market Street just does not fit with the other buildings IMHO Looks unappealing to me.  So I can do without it.
    Angel_C
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^they dont have pins on the side to attach them.  Is it OK to stack them on the roof of my GE?
    VorpalRyuAngel_Ckiki180703CurvedRoadPlateJenniAdeelZubairAmanda1983
    TigerMoth said:
    SumoLego said:

How is that stupid? If this Market Street debate was going on when it was still $90, do you really think it would be such a big deal? No. People would just buy it. People aren't as likely to spend $1700 on it. The current market value has a big part in influencing people's opinion  on whether to count as a modular or not.

• brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 1,002
    Pitfall69 said:
    brumey said:
    ...thinking of hoarding ninjago en masse

wrong thread . so sry! where did the ninjago thread go ?

How is that stupid?
    You're looking at the wrong post. This one was:
    LegoTT said:

Does anyone else just love the irony on this forum?  An unrelated back-and-forth breaks out in a thread devoted to potential rumors and discussion of an unreleased set....no one bats an eye. 

On the other hand, if some new user posts a "what should I buy thread," we all come together with our pitchforks and shovels to run them out of town.
    If you're going to be like that, this thread should never have existed because it more-or-less duplicates one from a couple of weeks earlier which went through the same list of candidates for the new set. Somebody even linked to it.
    edited October 2015
    CircleK said:

Just buy a friends set.

The Cabin Cruiser is a nice build, as well as the Heartlake Mall and the new Hotel.
    Ronyar
    TigerMoth said:

How is that stupid?
    You're looking at the wrong post. This one was:
    Yeah, it's in there. Look again.
    edited October 2015

I whole-heartedly endorse this comment.  I remain confused as to why people think it isn't a modular.  It clearly is because Lego identifies it as such.

(Some of us may have our own opinions whether it is of the appropriate quality, design or Lego-ness to the set - but it is clearly a modular.

I personally think the UCS Sandcrawler is a playset and not a true UCS set, but there is a shinny sticker that says 'Ultimate Collector's Series'.  Thus it is in a box wedged between Obi-Wan's Starfighter and a Super Star Destroyer...)

Which brings me to another point - a Bricklinked version is not the 'set' per se from my standpoint.  You can probably fake it with getting an orphaned instruction manual, but I wouldn't consider that the genuine set.  Again, from this completeist collector's rationale.
    So if I throw away a box, I don't own that set anymore?   

Instructions and box have no bearing on the owning of a set.   Do you play or display the box and instructions?   

I would think that having the bricks to build the set means you have it.  
    bobabricksAmanda1983
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    TigerMoth said:
    LegoTT said:

Does anyone else just love the irony on this forum?  An unrelated back-and-forth breaks out in a thread devoted to potential rumors and discussion of an unreleased set....no one bats an eye. 

On the other hand, if some new user posts a "what should I buy thread," we all come together with our pitchforks and shovels to run them out of town.
    If you're going to be like that, this thread should never have existed because it more-or-less duplicates one from a couple of weeks earlier which went through the same list of candidates for the new set. Somebody even linked to it.
    lol
    Salamalexmr.piggles

Yeah, it's in there. Look again.
    You replied to your own post not mine, so there was no way of knowing what you were referencing. But I can only assume that means you still don't appreciate it's inappropriate to make such a judgement on what other people did several years ago in circumstances of which you're not aware.
    SumoLego said:

Which brings me to another point - a Bricklinked version is not the 'set' per se from my standpoint.  You can probably fake it with getting an orphaned instruction manual, but I wouldn't consider that the genuine set.  Again, from this completeist collector's rationale.
    Ooh! That's another contentious bag of worms.
    edited October 2015
    ^ It was in there too. If you are going to continue to attack me, maybe you should work a little harder to read the post. Otherwise, don't talk to me at all. We're all entitled to our opinion but don't have the right to be a jerk just because they don't agree. it's been happening a lot more around here lately.

Jdawg said:

Instructions and box have no bearing on the owning of a set.   Do you play or display the box and instructions?   

If I am purchasing a set that I want to get the maximum value for - if I need to resell it later, then yes, I want the box and instructions.

It certainly doesn't mean that you don't have the set.  That's not my point.  People who Bricklink sets obviously 'have' the set.  However, if you try to sell it or trade it on the secondary market, you are going to run into collectors that have a differing opinion and won't want your Bricklinked set...

But that's another discussion topic.

When are we supposed to get an announcement on the modular, Hoth set, Space Skull reissue, S15, CMF Disney....
    ^ agreed.   Box and instructions no play a part in reselling for max returns.

^ It was in there too. If you are going to continue to attack me, maybe you should work a little harder to read the post. Otherwise, don't talk to me at all. We're all entitled to our opinion but don't have the right to be a jerk just because they don't agree. it's been happening a lot more around here lately.
    It was you that started making unjustified comments about other people.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    C'mon now, the Prequels weren't that bad. Market Street is more like Star Wars Extended Universe, now non-canon as 'Legends'. Fan-made tripe that is a poor stand-in to the real official universe designed by the chosen few. But damn are there a lot of folks intensely in love with this line, desperately pleading for it to be considered official when we all know it shall never be true SW. 

MS will never be true a Modular. It's orphan status is forever baked into its provenance as a fan-made object. It's the only one not designed by Jamie Berard or Astrid.
    ^ But, technically, it is a modular.  Not in spirit, not in design, not in etc...

Similarly, with the Prequel Trilogy UCS, ya gotta have those to have a complete set
    (Much like none of us want to acknowledge Galidor - but it is definitely Lego.)
    VorpalRyu
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    C'mon now, the Prequels weren't that bad. Market Street is more like Star Wars Extended Universe, now non-canon as 'Legends'. Fan-made tripe that is a poor stand-in to the real official universe designed by the chosen few. But damn are there a lot of folks intensely in love with this line, desperately pleading for it to be considered official when we all know it shall never be true SW. 

MS will never be true a Modular. It's orphan status is forever baked into its provenance as a fan-made object. It's the only one not designed by Jamie Berard or Astrid.
    I like your analogy.  Though if Market Street included a Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn I would have never sold mine!!
    SumoLegopharmjodRonyarAmanda1983
    I would have purchased multiple copied of Space Skulls if there was a Mara Jade and Admiral Thrawn.
    Pitfall69VorpalRyuRonyar
  • KavsterKavster London, UKMember Posts: 75
    Some people are viewing it like this:

The building - The 'Modular' series
    The guy going through the window - Market Street

I wish they would include some version of Thrawn in the new SW films.  
    pharmjod
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    SumoLego said:
    ^ But, technically, it is a modular.  Not in spirit, not in design, not in etc...

Similarly, with the Prequel Trilogy UCS, ya gotta have those to have a complete set
    Jamie Berard Designed Modular = Original Trilogy, everybody loves them.

Astrid Designed Modulars (Townhall & Palace Cinema) = Prequel Trilogy, not favored by some, but definitely canon for the Modular series.

Fan Designed Market Street = Extended Universe, not canon period. Only favored by those who cared enough to get it, but dismissed by everyone else.
    dougtskiki180703CircleKbrownbricks720Amanda1983
    TigerMoth said:

It was you that started making unjustified comments about other people.
    Wow! If that really bothered you, maybe you need to see a psychologist.

This is what I said (copied directly):

Most people = not all people but a majority.  I think = my opinion based on observation, therefore doesn't need to be justified.

Not really something to get overly excited about.
    FollowsCloselyAmanda1983
    It is the most amount of fun to get excited about irrelevant things.  That is the basis for just about every spectator sport.
    pharmjod
    Pitfall69 said:
    .Jdawg said:

For the love of all that is Holy...Not this again :)
    What did I do? ;p
    Pitfall69kiki180703
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited October 2015
    Whether or not Market Street is deigned a true modular has absolutely no bearing on if it will appear on my table, which it won't, because...ugly.

I'm saving that space for the 2015 Winter Toy Shop, because it's clearly the 7th building in the Winter Village collection, and must be owned to complete the set.  After all, it has a helicopter.
    pharmjodSumoLegoVorpalRyukiki180703brownbricks720RonyarAmanda1983
    SumoLego said:
    It is the most amount of fun to get excited about irrelevant things.  That is the basis for just about every spectator sport.
    Darn it! I must be missing out because I'm not excited. There is however, a certain amount of fun seeing how some people feel a need to just resort to abuse.

Is making LEGO sets or MOCs a sport?
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I feel like this thread needs to be renamed.  Maybe "Modulars, and the crazy AFOL's who collect them".
    wardmVorpalRyukiki180703RonyarAmanda1983
    If you don't own it, I'll gladly not store it for you at my house.
    Rainstorm26pharmjodVorpalRyukiki180703GoldchainsJern92