Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,873
    I think if we see a Lego Store Modular - that's probably the end of the modular line.
    VorpalRyukiki180703Rsa33Amanda1983
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    You know... I was always the most gung-ho about a Police HQ modular, but the mention of a Hardware Store has me intrigued. That'd be great, I love the local hardware stores... hardware store below, living space above? 
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuRsa33Amanda1983
  • kbenjeskbenjes Member Posts: 70
    Cafe Corner re-release, but with a finished interior. $200 price point.
    VorpalRyuRsa33Jern92LeeAmanda1983
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,304
    edited October 2015
    @BrickDancer, with TLG's recent action on WV line, not something I'd be stating, cause knowing my luck, they would go & do that... But I don't think anyone here will hold you to that statement.
    xiahna
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    A Hospital Modular would probably be around $10,000 because of the obvious ;)
    VorpalRyuJELJ1SGoldchainsBumblepantshkcrazy88
  • odueckodueck Member Posts: 48
    I'd like to see residential building. Either a mansion, two side by side townhouses, a three unit apartment... Something along those lines.
    Amanda1983
    ^I will quit the hobby if that happens.
    ... and promptly send to your then-meaningless collection to me - and be reimbursed for shipping.
    VorpalRyuGoldchainstfranklin84Amanda1983

Pitfall69 said:
    Just to cover the liability insurance...
    Pitfall69VorpalRyuGoldchainsThe_Mad_VulcanAmanda1983
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    SumoLego said:

Pitfall69 said:
    Just to cover the liability insurance...
    Exactly. 
    VorpalRyu

kbenjes said:
    Cafe Corner re-release, but with a finished interior. $200 price point.
    Say it with me... 'Royal Hotel'...
    VorpalRyuEmk
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    An Apple Store.
    Sets only to be sold at Apple stores.
    VorpalRyukiki180703Brick_BreakdownAmanda1983Don
    ^  Suggested retail price: $999.99, with $450.00 iTunes credit.
    VorpalRyukiki180703tfranklin84hkcrazy88MorkManAmanda1983
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,419
    They should do a modular lego store ...
    MattsWhat said:
    ^^with a modular lego store displayed in the window.......
    And so on and so forth for eternity.
    VorpalRyuMattsWhatJern92Amanda1983
  • NesquikNesquik Member Posts: 30
    Be our guest; recycling ideas is one the greatest things this company does.

The City line is the perfect example of this. Why do you think updated police and fire stations are released every 2/3 years? To cater for the next generation of children. 

The same could easily be apparent with exclusives. We've just seen this happen with the Winter Toy Shop, where new LEGO fans will get to experience this model for the first time, and if you're a family who has never purchased a 'winter' set before, then it's a great opportunity.

Likewise, there are many fans, from older children to parents, who at this point are purchasing their first modular building. They may have no idea how many buildings have been released before, or what they even were, but your logic suggests that, because of their circumstances, they don't have a right to own a particular style building.

So let's be sensible and think about the market rather than your 'hobby'.
    tfranklin84DedgeckoaldreddKovJonasAmanda1983Don
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    Though lego does certainly consider AFOLs part of the hobby, I don't think lego considers the "hobby" to include our right to resale retired sets to people crazy enough to pay 1,000% mark up. The fact is, because of the foolish after market shenanigans, cafe corner is prohibitive to most fans of lego, adult or otherwise. I imagine less than 10% of current lego fans who collect modular have or can reasonably obtain cafe corner. Lego doesn't owe anyone anything just because they either paid way too much for a retired set on the after market, or because they have a stock pile of said set ready to unload on the folks with bottomless pockets. That was never an official part of this fun hobby. 
    VorpalRyumatticus_brickshkcrazy88aldreddJELJ1SAmanda1983Don
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,905
    I'd buy a new cafe corner with updated interior. I'd use part of the $1200 I sold the old one for =)
    VorpalRyu
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 840
    To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Lego did an updated Café Corner—but not next year. I would think a rerelease like that would be one of the best ways to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Modular Buildings two years from now—here's the one that started it all, revamped and updated for a new generation!
    VorpalRyupharmjodhkcrazy88MorkManAmanda1983
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    I imagine less than 10% of current lego fans who collect modular have or can reasonably obtain cafe corner.
    That suggests that there are more than ten times as many copies of the later modulars than there are are Cafe Corners. I find that highly unlikely.

When Cafe Corner came along, a lot of people were impressed and bought it. A few more would have got it when Green Grocer arrived. It wasn't rare or hard to obtain or even particularly expensive. Some people "dropped out" and, yes, some will have become interested subsequently - but not to the degree that you're implying.
    Brick_Breakdown
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,045
    edited October 2015
    I'd be fine with it even if they rereleased all of them. I'm sure lots of people would buy them.
    VorpalRyuAmanda1983
    @TigerMoth, the Lego Movie as much as I hate it, has dragged a good number of people out their dark ages, those who were not around for CC, TH, FB, etc. Some of which are reluctant dive into the modulars market because the one set that grabbed their interest is going for more than they are willing to part with. I know a few individuals that are in that boat (also true of the SW UCS sets), one of which would love to start, but isn't willing to pay the current prices TH is going for, so he's written off modulars, for now.

What are the figures for number of sets purchased for CC vs GG, TH, GE, PR, DO, etc? Have TLG kept to similar numbers for each production run, or have increased/decreased? If TLG thinks there is a want for it, expect CC to be re-released, reseller be damned, just look to the current WV set on offer.
    xiahnaAmanda1983
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    I'd be fine with a re-release. Granted, I don't have a dog in the "resellers" fight. I'd just like to pick up a modular that I don't own for retail price. 

Even if they re-released a set that I already own, I'd just spend money on something else. Not the end of the world, though I admit that I'd like a new-to-me Modular every year.
    VorpalRyutfranklin84hkcrazy88MorkManAmanda1983
  • lego187lego187 United StatesMember Posts: 16
    It would be cool if they had one year where they released a different modular every month, sadly that will never happen. :(
    VorpalRyu said:

@TigerMoth, the Lego Movie as much as I hate it, has dragged a good number of people out their dark ages, those who were not around for CC, TH, FB, etc. Some of which are reluctant dive into the modulars market because the one set that grabbed their interest is going for more than they are willing to part with.
    Sure. But not by a factor of ten.
    VorpalRyu said:

If TLG thinks there is a want for it, expect CC to be re-released, reseller be damned, just look to the current WV set on offer.
    I think the Toy Shop may well have been an experiment to determine the response. Judging by some of the comments that have been made, re-releasing Cafe Corner would be one thing; releasing a different version of it would be extremely risky. The danger is that those who have Cafe Corner wouldn't want another one, and once you've broken the series, the drive to collect any future ones is greatly reduced. An updated Cafe Corner might be welcome by a number of people, but it wouldn't drive an interest in future sets - you'd have to announce that all of the previous sets would be re-released, and they aren't going to  do that.

Resellers wouldn't even figure in TLG's thoughts. Existing loyal collectors will.
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 156
    @tigerMoth I'd be interested in knowing where you're getting your figures from. It wasn't until last year that Lego became the biggest selling toy brand. Café corner was released in 2007. So that is a 7 year gap. So I can see logically that growth could actually be higher than a 10%. (But I will admit I may be wrong and if you do have a source I'd love to look into it further.)

On the 'as a loyal collector' front, I'm a loyal collector, which means that if they re-release pet shop or Palace, I've got a budget of around 200-250 that I can spend on something else from the range without missing out on the modular. I'm going to think that it's cool that more people will get to experience what I love so much without the resellers mark up. plus if they do an incredible job on the update, then I have spare bricks that I can MOC stuff out of. The only way to lose here is if I was a hard R reseller.
    VorpalRyuAmanda1983
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    This debate gets more stale every time we rehash it 
    mr.pigglesBrickDancerSumoLegoBumblepantsBJ21Jern92CCCGoldchainsJELJ1S
    xiahna said:

So I can see logically that growth could actually be higher than a 10%.
    What has 10% got to do with it. I took exception  to this:
    tfranklin84 said:

I imagine less than 10% of current lego fans who collect modular have or can reasonably obtain cafe corner.
    That says that the vast majority of people who collect modulars don't have Cafe Corner.

Furthermore you're looking at something around a million copies of the most popular set produced. If a recent modular managed half of that, but was ten times the number of Cafe Corners, you'd be looking at barely-viable production run.

If somebody said that the modulars were twice as popular then I might be prepared to believe it, but not ten times.

Nor do I believe that, if Cafe Corner was re-released, in original or updated form, that it would sell nine times as many as the original.
    xiahna said:

On the 'as a loyal collector' front, I'm a loyal collector, which means that if they re-release pet shop or Palace, I've got a budget of around 200-250 that I can spend on something else from the range without missing out on the modular.
    That's you. Some people might have the same attitude and some might not. But I'm not sure that anybody will go out and spend a significant sum of money on "something else" just because one set doesn't suit them.

If TLG produce a "sub-standard" modular (and some people will say that they have), a completionist is still likely to buy it. Re-releasing Cafe Corner, warts and all, is unlikely to make too much difference, especially if it has the same set number. Updating it, on the other, may put them off if they don't want two very similar sets. If that happens, you've broken the completionist streak. Once broken, each and every future modular has to be attractive enough on its own merits, because the "I want them all" element has gone.

There is no way of knowing the impact, but I think it's one risk too many, especially as it doesn't resolve the problem for people who have missed subsequent sets. To satisfy everybody, you'd either have to re-release all the modulars at the same time, or declare that you will re-release them all.

Read through the comments about the new Toy Shop. The difference is that the modulars already come with a built-in disadvantage in some people's eyes - their relatively high price. I don't think it would be sensible to add another reason not to buy one.
    Angel_C
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    A post office because TLG is silly
    kiki180703
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    I do get the "collect them all mentality." Though I don't think it's a bad thing to have that mentality broken. (Maybe something lego needs to consider though, from a business standpoint). I had planned to collect every winter village set, but when they re-released the toy shop, it did give me a freeing feeling of "you know, I only need to collet the ones I love." That said, I doubt any fan of the modular buildings will pass up any brand new modular building  if they can afford it. They're simply some of the most impressive sets lego makes.  
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,672
    Nesquik said:
    Be our guest; recycling ideas is one the greatest things this company does.

The City line is the perfect example of this. Why do you think updated police and fire stations are released every 2/3 years? To cater for the next generation of children. 

The same could easily be apparent with exclusives. We've just seen this happen with the Winter Toy Shop, where new LEGO fans will get to experience this model for the first time, and if you're a family who has never purchased a 'winter' set before, then it's a great opportunity.

Likewise, there are many fans, from older children to parents, who at this point are purchasing their first modular building. They may have no idea how many buildings have been released before, or what they even were, but your logic suggests that, because of their circumstances, they don't have a right to own a particular style building.

So let's be sensible and think about the market rather than your 'hobby'.
    There is 'recycling an idea' (no two city police stations released are identical, not for a long time), and making a brick for brick exact redo of the set.
    If they update the outside of the Cafe corner (which I would believe they would need to as many of those parts, some that I think are large parts, are not made anymore by LEGO) and add an interior then as far as I am concerned while they could call it that, it is not a Cafe Corner to me.

But I love how people assume that a 159.99 USD Cafe corner, as designed as when it was released, would sell the volumes that a new mod does. It is one thing to redo a 59.99 USD set and set it for 79.99 USD (ie new WV toy shop). Not much of a stretch there in terms of if it may not do well, as there is less room of loss IMO. Also, as an 'under 100 USD' holiday set I would wage most folks would not mind getting one for under the tree/on the mantle, etc. if they do not have it. However, trying to take that popularity and extend it to that is how the Cafe Corner will do is a far stretch IMO.

Would Cafe Corner sell? Sure. Would it as profitable as a brand new mod design today? Doubtful, especially if LEGO had to make new molds to make the parts that originally came with it. If they did redesign it to account for the lack of original parts I think it would be a fairly large difference in looks in which case it may sell well as it would be a 'Cafe Corner' but there would be a noticeable difference in the design. However, the original would likely still be worth a lot to those that would pay the amounts for it now as it is still the first mod.

dougtsAngel_CAmanda1983
    tfranklin84 said:new

Maybe something lego needs to consider though, from a business standpoint
    That's the bit I'm getting at. I don't think the risk of releasing a Cafe Corner would justify whatever they hoped to gain.
    That said, I doubt any fan of the modular buildings will pass up any brand new modular building  if they can afford it.
    Pet Shop gets quite a bit of criticism from time to time. Of course, some people like it, but I wonder how many people wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't part of the series. Some people consider Market Street to be a modular. However, quite a few modular collectors don't have it. It's not as good, but not actually being a modular gave them the excuse they needed to not buy it. Having the loyalty of completionists is therefore useful.
    They're simply some of the most impressive sets lego makes.  
    Yes - it's all in the detail. I suspect a lot of the interest, from AFOLs and general public alike, is down to that and the ability to achieve things that they wouldn't have thought possible - perhaps based on their own earlier experiences as a child.

However, they're not totally unique. Obviously there are Star Wars sets which have a lot of detail, but they have a particular reason for their popularity.  How about Haunted House? It's almost a modular but I suspect people thought harder about buying it than the next modular because of the lack of "series effect". Or perhaps not. Perhaps those who had missed the earlier modulars were encouraged precisely because it wasn't part of what was, for them, an incomplete series.
    MynattAngel_CAmanda1983
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 583
    ^I can agree with TigerMoth, if the haunted house was apart of the modular theme I wouldn't have hesitated to get it. But since it's not, I didn't get it (Although it is a regret, I wish I did end up getting it). I also did get the Palace Cinema even though I do find the build kind of dull, I really did just get it to have the complete theme of the modulars. I have every modular and I will probably keep going, unless there is a repeat.
    Amanda1983
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
    Looking at its obvious affinities with all the other modulars, I think it's correct to consider Market Street as the very first one of the line, altough at the time the set was tagged under "Factory" theme. Die hard Lego Collectors really need a tag for every single set they have for their completionist purpose but it's a question of nuts here, and I really think that even the less Lego connoisseur would put Market Street under the modular theme. Speaking of the discussion topic, I would see very well an Empire State Building look alike skyscraper, with 5 or 6 floors it would soar over all the others breaking the monotony of 2 floors buildings.
    dougts said:
    This debate gets more stale every time we rehash it 
    Allow myself to quote... myself... or a guy with an awesome personality and a sunny disposition:

SumoLego said:
    Didn't we just have this discussion?

mr.piggleskiki180703JELJ1S
    Plus, a modular skyscraper would give you the possibility to increase how much you want the height of the building buying two or more of the same set.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 756
    I've bought every modular from FB onwards and BL'ed CC, MS and GG. And I un-haunted HH to add to the suburbs. Think I'm a completist. And think a re-hash would break the spell for me.
    roberto said:

Looking at its obvious affinities with all the other modulars, I think it's correct to consider Market Street as the very first one of the line, altough at the time the set was tagged under "Factory" theme.
    Market street was not the first modular.

AFOLs wanted more realistic buildings, so TLG came up with Cafe Corner. It was modular in that there was a standard with certain defined sizes, adjacent buildings plugged into each other and the floors were separate.

Market Street was supposed to inspire people to design their own buildings to the standard and then order them from LEGO Factory. It was only half the size of Cafe Corner and had a lower target age.

Whether you consider Market Street a modular or not is one thing, but it wasn't the first.
    TigerMoth said:

AFOLs wanted more realistic buildings, so TLG came up with Cafe Corner. It was modular in that there was a standard with certain defined sizes, adjacent buildings plugged into each other and the floors were separate.

Market Street was supposed to inspire people to design their own buildings to the standard and then order them from LEGO Factory. It was only half the size of Cafe Corner and had a lower target age.

Whether you consider Market Street a modular or not is one thing, but it wasn't the first.
    If it wasn't the first it was the second immediately after the Cafe Corner, because both were released in 2007.
    Market Street has all the features you talk about the Cafe Corner, exactly like all the other modulars: possibility to connect to the other buildings and separate floors. Size? it's not the size that defines the tag, neither the piece number: in fact, the difference of piece number between Town Hall and Pet Shop is almost identical of that one between Pet Shop and Market Street. Finally, in 2012 Lego released 10230 Mini Modulars that was a nice micro scale adaptation of those that at that time were the first five modulars, including Market Street. It is a modular building.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited October 2015
    TigerMoth said:
    That suggests that there are more than ten times as many copies of the later modulars than there are are Cafe Corners. I find that highly unlikely.

When Cafe Corner came along, a lot of people were impressed and bought it. A few more would have got it when Green Grocer arrived. It wasn't rare or hard to obtain or even particularly expensive. Some people "dropped out" and, yes, some will have become interested subsequently - but not to the degree that you're implying.
    I personally don't think a 10x increase in modular sales to be out of the realms of possibility. Maybe it's not 10x it but from my observation it would easily be 4 or 5x.

Back in 2007 I know that two of our large department stores (Myer & David Jones) who were the only stores for the most part to sell the larger exclusive type sets would only get shipments of 4 to 8 of each set. These delivers were only twice a year. Back then a lot of these sets could be found on shelves for many months or longer. (I remenber staring at the same 6 copies of the UCS Death Star II for a good 6 months in one store, I really should have bought one).

Today they still only get the couple of drops a year but we are talking 20 - 50 of each set (per store) and they generally only last a couple of weeks especially if a sale occurs, in which case they can sell out in days.

Lego has obviously grown in popularity over the last 10 years, but I think the Adult market is where the increase (percentage wise) would be greatest. Basically Lego has gone from just being a kids toy to one where it's ok for Adults to build too, and I'm talking about outside the hardcore AFOL circles. (Obviously we nutty AFOL's have grown in number too)

I know a number of adults who get the odd set who have no interaction with online community's and have no clue (or care) about what Modulars have gone before the current offerings.
    VorpalRyuAmanda1983
    ^ Exactly my point, our local Myer was lucky to sell three or four modulars during the run of each set even up to GE. I know they had the same GE sitting next the register for over a year & a half, because I eyed it off every time I went in there (what gave it away was the small dent just over the spot where they had put the price sticker). With more recent modulars PC, DO, etc, they're lucky if they have half the shipment left by the time a sale rolls around (they normally get new stock of Lego in every two three months & sales generally happen a month or so after that).

When I grabbed my DO from there, during the June sale, I grabbed one of the last two, the sales guy commented how they must be popular because they got eight more in their last shipment & they only had three left before the start of the sale.
    xiahnaAmanda1983
    Basta said:

I personally don't think a 10x increase in modular sales to be out of the realms of possibility. Maybe it's not 10x it but from my observation it would easily be 4 or 5x.
    Their turnover has increased by about that much. However, as average set prices have increased, the increase in volume is going to be lower. There are also particular success stories like Friends and Nijago which skew things, along with the more popular themes like Star Wars and City. Modulars? It's therefore quite likely that they've doubled the number of modulars sold, maybe a little more. Unfortunately, the annual reports don't contain as much information as they used to.
    roberto said:

If it wasn't the first it was the second immediately after the Cafe Corner, because both were released in 2007.
    Market Street has all the features you talk about the Cafe Corner, exactly like all the other modulars: possibility to connect to the other buildings and separate floors. Size? it's not the size that defines the tag, neither the piece number: in fact, the difference of piece number between Town Hall and Pet Shop is almost identical of that one between Pet Shop and Market Street. Finally, in 2012 Lego released 10230 Mini Modulars that was a nice micro scale adaptation of those that at that time were the first five modulars, including Market Street. It is a modular building.
    Yes. It was, potentially, the second one. However, it's background is totally different, it's smaller and technically simpler. The difference in piece counts isn't as significant as the relative difference - all the (other) modulars are over 2000 pieces which is a large set in most people's books; Market Street is neither.

Don't stamp your foot and say that it is a modular. Strictly speaking it isn't - something that was fairly clear at the time. The box alone tells you that. However, from the day that it was released people have questioned whether Market Street should or should not be included under that heading or not, with people coming down on both sides of the fence. Of the people who have "a complete set of modulars" a good many don't have, and don't want, Market Street, despite having ample opportunity to get it.

It's also complicated by the death of Erik Brok which may have led to tendency to include him more as a sort of tribute. Somebody will then quote Jamie as saying it is a modular and, as you've done, referencing its inclusion in #10230. Another tale is that the "3" on the forecourt of Fire Brigade relates to it being the third modular (and therefore Market Street is excluded).

None of that changes the fact that many people do not regard Market Street as a modular. It is a question that used to crop up quite frequently on discussions boards and for which there's no "right" answer.
    hoyatablesAmanda1983
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^ I think the "3" on FB was to indicate it was Jaime's third modular - not the third modular in the series. 
    Pitfall69
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    I'm not going to try to make a definitive statement about whether Market Street is a modular or not.  Everyone can make up their own mind.  What I can state is that I have been buying them since the beginning (Cafe Corner was what brought me fully out of my Dark Ages), and once there was enough of a critical mass of other buildings, I had no problem selling my old Market Street.   I didn't think it fit in, and I believe the profit funded three or four other modulars.  Well worth it.  
    Amanda1983
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 951
    TigerMoth said:
    roberto said:

Looking at its obvious affinities with all the other modulars, I think it's correct to consider Market Street as the very first one of the line, altough at the time the set was tagged under "Factory" theme.

Here's what I posted in November 2014 on my opinion of Market Street being a modular set:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/318074/#Comment_318074

MS is a modular set, but not the first.
    1265 said:

MS is a modular set, but not the first.
    I said there was no right answer. Actually, it would appear there is. Market Street is NOT part of the same series.

The Creator Expert brand was created about three years ago. It's used for the current modulars, amongst other things. However, as it's relatively new, it was never used for the earlier modulars.

Having said that, all the modulars have been reclassisfied on the customer service pages for instruction downloads as Creator Expert, but not Market Street which is still labelled as LEGO Factory.

If each set was still labelled with its original branding, it would prove nothing, but the fact that they've been changed shows that TLG, at least, think Market Street is not part of the same series as the rest.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,581
    Or it might just be a mistake not changing its status, and Lego do think it is part of the series by the inclusion in mini modulars. Or maybe it is an intentional mixed message to get adults arguing.
    VorpalRyuSumoLegonatro220Amanda1983
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    LEGO is consistently inconsistent (look now further than UCS branding over the years), so I don't think we should read too meh into any of these things 

trurh is, we probably care much more than LEGO does about all this labellung and categorization and what's in or not in a series
    VorpalRyumr.pigglesmadforLEGOnatro220xiahnaAmanda1983
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,581
    Yes, although I'm still waiting for the first limited edition UCS modular.
    VorpalRyukiki180703Rainstorm26SumoLegoMorkManAmanda1983