Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,817
    Pitfall69 said:
    How do 7 people already own Brick Bank???
    Hey, I already own the GBHQ, and the 2017 modular, and magic Lego unicorn that craps sets that haven't yet been produced or even conceived.

And the 2018 Cafe Corner re-release.  I just had one delivered by a rainbow wyvern driving a Planet Express ship.  And I got the 2019 UCS Planet Express ship.  It was delivered by magic space skulls.

Wishful thinking, methinks...
    Yodaliciousmatticus_bricksVorpalRyubobabricksGoldchainskiki180703MynattAdeelZubairRidzDesign

Fauch said:
    including revolvers and balaclavas would have been easier, but hey, it's too violent... except for 75% of lego themes... actually, maybe thieves would also need to be skeletons, or robots, or both.
    That would be great if there were a skeleton at the bottom of the shaft.  
    VorpalRyu

I personally am a fan of "Old Man Yells at Cloud." But to each their own.
    Do not fancy 'Donut Fancy', do you?
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^^^ I would totally buy a unicorn as it is. But if it crapped LEGO sets, I'd pay anything!

^ I'm more of a bagel guy I guess. 
    SumoLegoVorpalRyukiki180703
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    Magic Unicorn?

tomahawkerSumoLegoVorpalRyuChang405bobabrickskiki180703HangedSanchezsnowhitie
    edited October 2015
    ^ I guess I can't 'un-see' that.

And in a completely unrelated thought, time for ice cream!
    VorpalRyubobabrickskiki180703graphite
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,521
    Looks like I will be needing 3 of these to make a decent bank.
    The 2 spare laundromats can be placed on another block of my modular city. :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,464
    Fauch said:
    9) The bley Gold bricks are connected to a 1x2x2 somehow. Is that a new snot piece?

actually you must be right. they don't seem to be 1x2x2 but 1x2x5/3
    I believe they are just 2x2 bricks, rotated by 90 degrees. Note that the 2x2 tile at the base is facing outwards too (on another 2x2 brick). So the whole pillar is SNOT. Presumably with a long plate at the rear to hold them all together and a couple of brackets to change direction.
    bobabricks
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited October 2015
    CCC said:
    I believe they are just 2x2 bricks, rotated by 90 degrees.
    You could be correct, but the image below seems to show separation and other pieces behind the bricks, which would indicate it's an upright brick. If it were a basic 2x2 brick with studs facing outward, it should extend further inward and there would be no separation.

To me, this looks like a 1x2x2/3 (5 plates high) with studs on one side. Otherwise, I don't know how the corner could be done. If this is what the piece is, it would be interesting if instead of having four studs on the front it has only two in the center (running vertically). But I think some of those gold bars would be misaligned if that were the case.
    SumoLegoFollowsCloselykiki180703
    I cannot really see where the separation is.

The complicated part to me is how they've done the corner pillar, as that cannot be a regular 2x2 brick.

I guess time will tell.
    FollowsClosely
    I am now obsessed with the design of the tree.
    VorpalRyu
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    CCC said:
    Fauch said:
    9) The bley Gold bricks are connected to a 1x2x2 somehow. Is that a new snot piece?

I believe they are just 2x2 bricks, rotated by 90 degrees. Note that the 2x2 tile at the base is facing outwards too (on another 2x2 brick). So the whole pillar is SNOT. Presumably with a long plate at the rear to hold them all together and a couple of brackets to change direction.
    This was my initial thought as well, but after studying the picture awhile there are things that don't add up, like the fact that it doesn't protrude far enough to be a standard 2x2 brick.  It still could be true if it's recessed slightly, but in the picture it doesn't appear that it is.  I'll be interested to see in the end 

either way, I think the corner technique is different than the rest of the columns 
    CCC said:
    I cannot really see where the separation is.
    In the image I posted, it's to the immediate left of the top left corner of the window frame. If the gold bars were on a basic 2x2 brick, that gap shouldn't be there because the height of a brick is greater than the depth of an Nx1.
    ^ Exactly.  if it was a 2x2 brick on it's side, it would either stick out further (which it doesn't), OR it would have to be recessed back into the wall more (which it also doesn't, as can be seen in this image and a few other places)
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,304
    Think there could be a couple of new parts after a closer inspection of this...

Noticed the bricks behind the ingots look to be about the height of a 2x2 on its side.
    xiahna
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,430
    CCC said:
    Fauch said:

I think the pillars would have to be 3 studs deep to achieve that. though maybe they are.
    SumoLego said:
    As in how it's done? The piece that makes it all work is this.
    SumoLego
    binaryeye said:
    SumoLego said:
    As in how it's done? The piece that makes it all work is this.
    it is definitely that part

VorpalRyu said:
    Think there could be a couple of new parts after a closer inspection of this...

Noticed the bricks behind the ingots look to be about the height of a 2x2 on its side.  
    right, which would lean one to believe it could simply be a 2x2 on it's side.  However, when you look closer and see the seams, it seems clear that it isn't.  the 2x2 on it's side with either protrude farther OR be recessed further.  It definitely isn't protruding past the 1x plates and arches above it, so it would have to be recessed.  However, the various seams and corners you can see throughout the image would seem to rule this out.  Meaning it could only be a new piece, or some sort of optical illusion/error:

FollowsCloselybinaryeyekiki180703AdeelZubair
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Too bad they can't do something like...a designer video to highlight these things.
    FollowsCloselypharmjodAdeelZubairSethro3
    I'm guessing the corner uses the same bricks on the front face of the bank, but the side toward the laundromat uses a stack of normal 1x1s with a stud on the side. If you look closely at this image, the gold bars on that side of the corner seem to vary in distance from the edge as would happen with a tile "sliding" slightly when attached to only one stud, whereas all of the others seem to be more uniform.
  • burnsiderburnsider Member Posts: 75
    Could this be the niew piece? I think you would need to rotate it 90 degrees to get the same orientation as the column for the bank.

FollowsClosely
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    It was my understanding the rules of modular buildings is they can't use new pieces. I haven't built any or researched, I just thought that was the rule - colours and types in production. Clearly if is new from nexo Knights that would fulfil the criteria. 
    edited October 2015
    it would make little sense, easier to just stack them, an you would have the wanted effect. or maybe you have to alternate them with snot bricks, but you still wouldn't need to rotate them
    binaryeye said:
    I'm guessing the corner uses the same bricks on the front face of the bank, but the side toward the laundromat uses a stack of normal 1x1s with a stud on the side. If you look closely at this image, the gold bars on that side of the corner seem to vary in distance from the edge as would happen with a tile "sliding" slightly when attached to only one stud, whereas all of the others seem to be more uniform.
    I was kind of leaning in this direction as well in regards to the corner
    burnsider said:
    Could this be the niew piece? I think you would need to rotate it 90 degrees to get the same orientation as the column for the bank.
    I'm fairly sure that's one of these.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 831
    burnsider said:

That piece is not new (it's the 2x2x2/3 SNOT brick that's been around for a few years now), and it's definitely not the one used in the Brick Bank. If it were, it'd run into the same problem as SNOTed bricks due to the placement of the side studs, forcing the gold bars to either be recessed into the wall further or pushed outward further.
    Lyichir said:
    burnsider said:

That piece is not new (it's the 2x2x2/3 SNOT brick that's been around for a few years now), and it's definitely not the one used in the Brick Bank. If it were, it'd run into the same problem as SNOTed bricks due to the placement of the side studs, forcing the gold bars to either be recessed into the wall further or pushed outward further.
    You're right, can't be that one.
    Dunno how to make the corner. blue bricks are the bricks discussed above I think, and red ones are basic 1x1 bricks with one stud on side.
    Mynatt
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,159
    I feel like it could be a new piece, and to me it looks like it could be this piece:

http://brickset.com/parts/4142110

But with studs on the side. I might be wrong, but that was my initial thought.
    Fauch said:
    Dunno how to make the corner. blue bricks are the bricks discussed above I think, and red ones are basic 1x1 bricks with one stud on side.
    This doesn't match the joins that are visible though.
    I think it was burnsider idea, but one side is slightly recessed.
    Mynatt
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    ^ ^^^^ None of those match the joint lines.
    VorpalRyu
    edited October 2015
    burnsider said:

That would account for the center columns. Still does not explain the corner. Unless there are 4 in that picture as they are 1x(2/3)x2. If so that is going to be a very useful piece!
    edited October 2015
    Looking at this shot it seems like a 2x2 brick with studs where the arrows are pointing (top arrow should be pointing under the SNOT).  Is there a current brick like that?

• brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Can I just say that this discussion about building techniques is one of the many things I LOVE about the Brickset community! 
    JELJ1S
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    edited October 2015
    This has to be the design for the center pillars, I'll figure out the corner later. :P Sorry the pictures are a bit small.

Edit: all of the red 1x2's are SNOTs and the black 1x4 tile in the first picture is to represent where the window would be.

Yes, the center is easy. What about the corner?
    edited October 2015
    this one is getting pretty close, though it looks weird from the inside. well, actually that gap should be hidden by the windows?

edit : made a small mistake, 8 is better.
    bobabricksJELJ1S
    edited October 2015
    The corner construction is actually never seen, I thought it was at one point. Looks like it is as simple at that. That is one think I love about the modulars, and that is the clever new techniques sprinkled in.
    edited October 2015
    I just got the same result as @Fauch and the window does cover that gap.

The only problem I'm having is that the gap does look a little sketchy, even if hidden and the pillar is only held in by one stud. I guess the stuff on top of the pillar holds it in securely.
    FollowsClosely
    all this makes sense in theory of course, but it isn't matching the pictures.  Whatever it is that the gold bar piece is attached to is clearly exactly 1x deep, as it lines up exactly with both the plate/arch above on the front side, and the window frame on the back side.  if it is a 2x brick on it's side, that is not possible
    Here is a better picture to show that everything does align. @dougts

edited October 2015
    Again, I know you can make it work like you did.  But you aren't seeing what I'm seeing in the pictures, which is that the back of whatever the gold bars are attached to is perfectly lined up even with the window frame, which you can see by the fact that the seams line up exactly even. It isn't set back farther than the window like a 2x2 brick on its side would have to be, and like you are showing in your demos. If it were, the seams between the 2x2 and the snot brick would be 2/3 of a plate in depth begind the window frame (covered) and wouldn't be visible, but they clearly are in the pictures. They aren't covered by the frame at all 

i do think you nailed the corner technique though, or damn close for sure 
    ^ Having studied the images for two days, I still can't be certain that the piece is 1 width deep.  It certainly looks like it ends at the window, but assuming it didnt, you would still see a similar looking line due to the window to wall gap, or maybe even a bit of window-wall shadow/reflection.
    Also if this was built with a new piece then why would they not just use another one to attach the light immediately above the gold bars?  If it was a standard 2x2 on its side it would explain the change in technique once the floor level is reached (as you wouldn't have space.)

Although actually, I just completely undermined myself.  Assuming it was a 2x2 on its side, and the arch is a normal arch the snot brick with the light wouldn't be attached to anything at all, it would just be sat there.  (even the left side looks like it wouldn't be attached as the wall ends before it.) Hmm...
    Just noticed something else from the picture that shows the back of the box:

that's a single plate depth at best on most of the column.  Even whatever the top two gold bars are mounted too is exactly one brick width deep.  definitively NOT a 2x2 brick on it's side
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    Its difficult to be sure, but I think it is just the edge of the window frame that appears to be the back of those 2x2s. If they were new bricks then they would have to be 2x1x5/3 wouldn't it? Is that even in system?
    edited October 2015
    ^not if they were two high, 1 wide, with snot on the side.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    I'm a long way from home without any bricks and with only small pictures, but what I see (just) is a 1x2x2 version of 11211 (1x2 with 2 studs on side) - like a union of 11211 and 3245. It seems like the sort of thing they would do.
    MattsWhat said:
    It was my understanding the rules of modular buildings is they can't use new pieces. 
    They're supposed to not be able to request new parts, but what's new to us may not be new to them. If it's something that has already been designed, but not actually released in any sets, then it may be available to them.
    MattsWhatbobabricks