Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2016 Modular Building

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    TigerMoth said:
    Legoboy said:

^ Depends if you own it it seems.
    Or, more likely, whether you own it depends on what you think.
    CCC said:

Despite packing in a lot of detail, this one looks so small.
    Isn't this said fairly regularly? And doesn't it work out that sucessive ones are smaller until they jack up both the part count and the price and start the cycle again?
    Or in this case, jack up the price AND go smaller 
    edited October 2015
    SumoLego said:

Anyway, I think the comparison is with the CC, that doesn't have much interior detail at all.
    I think FB, GE, and PS struck the right balance between the extremes of the first couple modulars and the last trio. I'd prefer it if LEGO went back to that balance as the standard.  But I suppose I'm in the minority on that. 

All i know is that if we keep on the direction we are headed, pretty soon these modulars aren't going to seem like an impressive grand centerpiece set anymore. 
    pharmjodcanon03ARo2891
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I know Jaime didn't design PC and TH. Did he design GE? I always assumed he didn't but never knew for sure. 
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    I'll admit to skipping over the first 400 some posts of this thread, but I'll put my thoughts here, even though some my echo what's already been said.

I love the look and feel of the set. I'll probably end up getting it.

My biggest issue of course is the price. When PR and DA/DO came out I could deal with the $10 price increase as the previous 5 had all been $150, and it was due for a price increase (as the price of everything goes up eventually). I do feel as though they should have done one to two more at the $160 price point before adding the $10 increase.

Overall I feel like Lego is starting to drift into dangerous territory with their prices, although I noticed when I was down at my Lego Store last that most parents and grandparents don't really seem to care too much about value when buying the sets for their kids, which is the majority of Lego's sales.
    dougtsTXLegoguyBumblepantsAndor
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    I tend to agree with the sentiments wishing for larger more detailed exteriors and less focus on smaller ornate inside and outside sets.  At the price points these are listed I have to believe the average purchaser is an adult probably for use by an adult. Whenever I get around to building these, I don't expect to open them up much. 
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,664
    Seemingly this set was designed by Jamie Berard, not Marcos Bessa as many thought:

That would be my fault...

kiki180703
  • odueckodueck Member Posts: 48
    Now that they have released a "trilogy" of complementary modular buildings it will be interesting to see the direction they take with the next modular set. Personally, I have no issue with the size of PC/DO/BB. They provide a realistic diversity to the streetscape.

Having said that, I would love to see a larger modular as long as the size is suitable for the type of building. Say a ground floor store with 2-3 apartments above it.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    My problem with these two-theme modulars (i.e. DO and BB) is I want to make them larger. The designs are excellent, I just don't like the way they're implemented. I think the barber shop and laundromat would look great as 16-wides and the pool hall/detective's office and bank would look great as full 32-wides with another floor. Compared to my vision of what they could be, the actual versions are disappointing. And since I can't buy two or three of each to make them larger, I buy none.
    TXLegoguydougtsSethro3
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 705
    We need a Hospital or one with a Sci-Fy theme (jails, hospital, offices, apartments, storage building and landing compartment).
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,803
    The new modular looks great! I too love how they integrated two buildings on the corner. Love the playability feature with the bank heist (or will this be a cookie heist?) 

But PLEASE, can we get back on topic here? I need to know if Market Street really is a modular or not!?!?!?

:) 
    Well according to the back of the Market street box it reports it is a modular house. So is it possible that the term 'modular' came from MS to describe all such well detailed buildings?
    Aanchir
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    edited October 2015
    The new modular looks great! I too love how they integrated two buildings on the corner. Love the playability feature with the bank heist (or will this be a cookie heist?) 

But PLEASE, can we get back on topic here? I need to know if Market Street really is a modular or not!?!?!?

:) 
    Please leave. :)
    LostInTranslationkiki180703Rainstorm26
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 999
    edited October 2015
    I so look forward to every modular. My first impressions:
    1) It has a small footprint. Smallest modular yet (excluding MS).
    2) When I look at it, it fails to keep my attention. No way Jamie designed this.
    3) The laundromat should stick out to give the structure some most needed depth.
    4) The groove bricks on the corner of the second floor look horrible.
    5) I like the use of the zip line and cupcake top.
    6) Windows look printed.
    7) Love the Money laundering.
    8) Like the colors of the laundromat, the rest is just blah.
    9) The bley Gold bricks are connected to a 1x2x2 somehow. Is that a new snot piece?
    10) Nice to see the elves pieces making an appearance.

dougtsbrickupdate
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,485
    9) The bley Gold bricks are connected to a 1x2x2 somehow. Is that a new snot piece?

actually you must be right. they don't seem to be 1x2x2 but 1x2x5/3
  • odueckodueck Member Posts: 48
    1) It has a small footprint. Smallest modular yet (excluding MS).
    Isn't the footprint the same as previous corner modulars?

4) The groove bricks on the corner of the second floor look horrible.
    6) Windows look printed.
    9) The bley Gold bricks are connected to a 1x2x2 somehow. Is that a new snot piece?

4)  wow you are right.  that does look pretty bad.  I'll probably MOC that on my version.  Perhaps just go with another column of the round profile bricks
    6) not seeing any sticker lines or other telltale signs, and after the printed windows in DO, I'm likely to agree that again they are printed.  I'm that the modulars seem to have done away with stickers entirely, which is as it should be for a premium price point item.
    9)  I was first entertaining the idea that they could just be standard 2x2 bricks, mounted sideways on one of the traditional 2x2 snot pieces we are so used to (but can't see, because they are further recessed into the wall, but after much study and inspection, I think you are right, thought that does not account for the corner.  Unless they are only 1 wide each piece the corner wouldn't work.  Either that, or one side of the corner sticks out slightly further by using the traditional snot plates while the other side uses the new snot bricks.  If it is as you say, that is going to become a very useful and desirable piece.  hopefully we will soon me many more colors
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,877
    I don't think printing in the recent modulars should surprise anyone. The chief reason Palace Cinema needed stickers is that its movie posters required decorating a window pane in full color on both sides. There are several reasons that wouldn't be practical to do as a printed element. And once you've already got a sticker sheet, you might as well include stickers for the screen and marquee. Decorating a window pane on one side in (at most) four colors, as in this set or the Detective's Office, is a lot simpler.
  • tsitsi Member Posts: 34
    I like this new modular, especially the idea with the laundromat!

I think now it´s time for a double sized UCS modular with something like 5000+ bricks - a dino museum please :-)

FollowsCloselyRobertokiki180703raygunn
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    dougts said:

Or in this case, jack up the price AND go smaller 
    That's not really true. In Euroland, it's the same price as Detective's Office; in the UK it's cheaper. Nor does it just come down to the exchange rates. Something else appears to be happening. Americans might have reason to be afraid.
    Well according to the back of the Market street box it reports it is a modular house. So is it possible that the term 'modular' came from MS to describe all such well detailed buildings?
    Cafe Corner was described as having "modular construction" before Market Street appeared.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,979
    At least whoever build that one made sure the Lego logos on the studs that are showing all point upwards. And all the grey gold bars are the same way around.
    FollowsCloselyVorpalRyuAdeelZubairkiki180703SumoLegoPitfall69ricecake
  • RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
    tsi said:
    I like this new modular, especially the idea with the laundromat!

I think now it´s time for a double sized UCS modular with something like 5000+ bricks - a dino museum please :-)

A dino museum would be very nice, definitively. I would also see well an Empire State Building and a Broadway theatre with Kong's first representation.

TigerMoth said:

Cafe Corner was described as having "modular construction" before Market Street appeared.
    Ahh, Ok. was not sure as I have not had a chance to look at the back of the Cafe Corner box.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    madforLEGO said:

Ahh, Ok. was not sure as I have not had a chance to look at the back of the Cafe Corner box.
    The Wayback Machine has [email protected] It's kind of odd looking at what was around at the same time.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    A Laundromat is an interesting choice as a filler space.  The only real complaint I have (besides the already-mentioned groove brick debacle) is that it only has one gold bar.  One?  Really?

Btw, what were the elf pieces?  The top of the rubber stamp the manager has on his desk?

Also, what's with the Tree coming to life story?  That seems really random.
    SumoLego
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,877
    edited October 2015
    A Laundromat is an interesting choice as a filler space.  The only real complaint I have (besides the already-mentioned groove brick debacle) is that it only has one gold bar.  One?  Really?

Btw, what were the elf pieces?  The top of the rubber stamp the manager has on his desk?

The ornamentation at the top of the building is a pair of keys from the LEGO Elves theme (though this is their first time in grey). Not sure what part of the discussion you were referring to but those are the most obvious LEGO Elves parts to me.

The newspaper is just reused from the Scooby-Doo theme, same as how Detective's Office reused a newspaper from the Super Heroes theme.
    The only real complaint I have (besides the already-mentioned groove brick debacle) is that it only has one gold bar.  One?  Really?
    Apparently LEGO is no longer on the gold standard.

Either the already-mentioned keys or the art nouveau-ish railings (in black).
    Andorkiki180703
    The only real complaint I have (besides the already-mentioned groove brick debacle) is that it only has one gold bar.  One?  Really?
    They already sold all the rest.
    kiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,137
    I am Groot!
    VorpalRyumr.pigglesPitfall69gmonkey76nychromastoneYodaliciousAdeelZubair
    edited October 2015
    So what is that pearl gold part on top of the red rubber stamp? (or perhaps it's an old fashioned wax sealer - which is much cooler)  Is that new?

Though I'm still not a fan of that connection used for the typewriter (I think it's a typewriter), being legal.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    ^ Nice catch there, I didn't notice that before, I'd say you're on the money there, a typewriter it is... Not sure when that became considered a legal build tech, but the Helicarrier has the same for 1x1 trans-light blue flats to make screens on the command deck, still don't like doing it.
    xiahna
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,663
    it became legal with the new mold (15172) for that part, it was not with the old 2555
    ^ That dude is going to need a taller ladder.
    kiki180703bobabricksgmonkey76dafishYodaliciousmatticus_bricksAdeelZubair
    It's like it's evolving into some elaborate Joker hideout.
    kiki180703matticus_bricks
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    I've been a bit under the weather but have heard snippets here and there of what I am about to read...oy vej!  Maybe the bank will be out by the time I am done.
    kiki180703FollowsCloselybobabricksPitfall69SirBrickalotOfLegoAdeelZubair
    So what is that pearl gold part on top of the red rubber stamp? (or perhaps it's an old fashioned wax sealer - which is much cooler)  Is that new?
    It says wax sealer in the set description. That part is new this year. It's in some Friends sets as well as the new Toy Shop (maybe it's not a complete rehash after all!).
    TheLoneTensor
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    SumoLego said:
    ^ That dude is going to need a taller ladder.

kiki180703SumoLego
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Has anyone seen a designer video for this set?
    .... Also, what's with the Tree coming to life story?  That seems really random.
    I believe that is supposed to be a tabloid rag for someone to read in the Laundromat.
    I prefer the 'Old Times'.
    VorpalRyuPitfall69
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    I personally am a fan of "Old Man Yells at Cloud." But to each their own.
    Pitfall69CCCSumoLego
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Those enhanced pictures did it. I will be getting two of these. Damn Internet and it's cool, funky images and such!
    pharmjoddafishFollowsCloselySumoLego
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    I know there's been some discussion about whether the exterior or interior should be more detailed.

I'll throw in my few cents here...

I do only display these buildings, however I don't mind the detailed interior either. Personally building just the external stuff would be a bit of a bore to me. I don't necessarily want exterior detail to be sacrificed for interior detail (I think PR and DO/DA struck a very good balance there), but being able to build up an interior makes the build much more enjoyable for me.

My big debate now is whether I spend my VIP rewards on the DO/DA or buy that outright and flip my rewards into this building.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    ^ I appreciate the interior details as well. It makes the build more interesting to me and gives me little ones something cool to see at the same time. 

I really liked PR, DA, and the new BB. They are all buys on what used to be a theme I passed on for my personal collection. For me it's not as much about extra interior detailing though as it is the design of the buildings themselves. Everything pre PR looked very "Big Box" to me. The outside dining area of the PR, differing heights of the DO buildings, and the inclusion of the laundry in the BB have went a long way to fix this and I think any of the last three would look just as good standing alone as they would in a street layout.

The only thing I haven't cared for is the price increases. I was ok with first one, but this second one came a little too fast IMO. I never collected the modulars before but I always appreciated them for their value. I'm afraid we are going to lose that as they continue to climb toward the $200 mark. For some reason I feel like that's where TLG wants them. I think they have wanted that since TH but weren't able to pull it off back then. 
    thedingman5Sethro3
  • JdawgJdawg St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada Member Posts: 83
    ^ Pricing will be the only thing that will stop me from continuing on with the modular line.   200 in Canada was already a good chuck to part with.   At 220, things are getting out of hand I think.   I have CC - PC,  and I plan on picking up the the other three in the next year.  Going forward I may just pick and choose instead of having to have them all.
    Sethro3
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,979
    It's not so much interior detail that I don't like, it is the details added for play features. Clearly there is going to be a play feature of her breaking in. But that whole chute thing seems such a waste of space (mainly) and bricks.
    dougts
    edited October 2015
    including revolvers and balaclavas would have been easier, but hey, it's too violent... except for 75% of lego themes... actually, maybe thieves would also need to be skeletons, or robots, or both.
    SumoLegodafish
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    How do 7 people already own Brick Bank???
    TXLegoguyVorpalRyukiki180703SumoLegoJern92AdeelZubairSalamalex
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,796
    Maybe they're designers...