Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars Chess Set - here is mine, lets see yours !

hardwaxhardwax ScotlandMember Posts: 10
edited September 2015 in Everything else LEGO
I had a quick search and counldn't find anyone else posting up a SW chess set, so here is mine. I would love to see LEGO make something like this with 32 minifigs, I bet it would sell millions. 

I was struggling with the pawns. If I had enough I would have preferred TIE Pilots for the Empire and X-Wing pilots for the rebels. I don't think Stormtroopers are a good fit for the Empire because they should be dark or black, having the pawns on both sides all white is not very Chess ! Also, I know Darth Vader isn't a girl but he is the Emporer's bitch :) I guess Bob Fett is not core Empire just a bounty hunter, but he is cool so I picked him.

I tried to keep my one mostly OT, it would be cool to see anyone else's version. Maybe a prequel trilogy or Hoth or Endor etc.

As an aside, triple points if anyone can guess what lens I used for this :) The camera was a Nikon D750.

jonamokkiki180703

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited September 2015
    Why did you go with clone troopers and not rebel pilots? The clone troopers are just storm troopers in disguise...(if painting your hat can count as that)  And it would have been a bit more ot then too. Loving the dark side though! 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,243
    Obi-wan and Leia as king and queen is a bit odd too. I did one a few years back. I think we used: Han and Leia as King and Queen, Yoda and Obi-Wan as bishops, Luke and Chewie as knights and C-3PO and R2-D2 as rooks. To make it easier to remember who is what, I used brick built bases -different shapes for rooks, knights and bishops.
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    ^pics or it didn't happen ;) 
  • hardwaxhardwax ScotlandMember Posts: 10
    I only have 1 x-wing pilot, clone troopers were my only option. Han /  leia as king/queen with chewy as bishop would have worked quite well. using more interesting bases would help with using different characters as bishops/ knights etc. perhaps a 6*6 stud board would help there too.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    Nikon 45mm tilt shift lens?

• EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    I feel that Obi and Yoda should be knights, as they are Jedi knights!
    Nikon 45mm tilt shift lens?

It was the 85mm PC-D (should have saved up for the PC-E, nevermind), I'm impressed,  well done :)  I got the first row pretty sharp using swing, but the back row was a little softer.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    edited September 2015
    Not mine, but this guy has the most epic star wars Lego chess sets.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/brandongriffith/sets/

Just look under albums.
    LegoVirus
    pharmjod said:
    Not mine, but this guy has the most epic star wars Lego chess sets.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/brandongriffith/sets/

Just look under albums.
    Those are very impressive. The big ones use 8x8 studs per square, so a very big board.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    They are very cool
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,243
    MattsWhat said:
    ^pics or it didn't happen ;) 
    Long since broken up I'm afraid. I don't play chess much these days and the minifigs are back on their boring black display. Come to think of it, I think I only played probably three or four games on it. It was more fun building than playing (so like most lego really).
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,960
    I don't think anyone really plays chess any more. People just put chess boards on display because they look cool or give an elevated impression of intelligence :)
    Rsa33kiki180703