Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Do anomaly sets have an increase or decrease of value?

MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 561
A few years ago at Brickcon in Chicago, there was a raffle for a sealed White Boba Fett... but this was no ordinary White Boba Fett... this one was a mess up. Rather than getting a helmet, head, torso, legs, the bag contained a helmet, head, and two pairs of legs with no torso. Without the torso, it felt to me a decrease in value, however it was an already rare polybag and with this rarity, it made it very rare. Does it make it more valuable or less?

I guess also does faulty printing on mini figures increase value? The new C-3PO has had complaints about offset eyes.

There was also an incident where someone had found the printing of a clone trooper's head was on the back rather than the front and was selling it for a high price. (No idea if he sold it) 

My same question goes for sets such as: 
BTTF Delorian:  Error in printing "Sheild Light From Eyes"
The Antman set before they caught the error with the legs
The faulty Wall-e sets
The Star Wars Ghost with the Protaganist having black rather than brown hair

Comments

• wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    In the Sportcard world error varieties sometimes carried a premium.  I could never understand why.  In this instance, I would not believe the white Boba to carry a premium as if you opened it you would not have a complete set.  Now a variation on a sticker that was later corrected might carry a premium depending on which there is less of, but your market for something like that is extremely limited.  Just my 2 cents.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,506
    ^ Agreed.  Collectors like to come up with reasons to increase a particular piece's value.

Kinda like rating minifigures - it is only important if YOU believe it is worth more, and that someone else wants it more.

How many more raffle tickets do you think they sold when it was revealed there was a ... gasp....MISSING... torso?

If it sold one extra ticket, it was worth it.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    In many cases, errors are worth less than perfect. Just because an error being released is rare, it doesn't mean it is worth a lot of money. The BTTF set was released incorrectly in large numbers. Same with the dodgy Wall-E.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,233
    if I'm not mistaken, the difference for ant-man is 12 very common pieces and slightly different instructions, I doubt it would really make a difference. same for the Wall-E. though, technically, the original sets were faulty, but if you take the bricks individually, it makes little difference in value.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    Mynatt said:

There was also an incident where someone had found the printing of a clone trooper's head was on the back rather than the front and was selling it for a high price. (No idea if he sold it) 

I think the value of all my minifigures just sky-rocketed. ;o)
    JELJ1Skiki180703Jern92Lyichir
    I'm still not sure if that was meant as a joke.
    SumoLegoJELJ1Skiki180703Jern92
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,056
    I assumed Mynatt meant the Helmet rather than the head...I've seen those incorrectly printed helmets on ebay for stupid money in the past.
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    In the vinyl world, error releases can command high prices. 
    I also collect Hot Wheels and error versions can easily sell for 10x their face value instantly but, it can all depend on the type of error and what type of vehicle it is. 
    For me, vinyl and Hot Wheels errors are more enjoyable than Lego with an error. Maybe it's because I don't really collect Lego to keep it sealed, I do keep sealed HW instead though. 
    So it all boils down to the type of collector you are, a fan or a fanatic?
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 561
    edited September 2015
    Shib said:
    I assumed Mynatt meant the Helmet rather than the head...I've seen those incorrectly printed helmets on ebay for stupid money in the past.
    Indeed, that was my intention. My goof.

• austin3thanaustin3than Austin, TX, USAMember Posts: 17
    you forgot to mention "Artic Batman" when it was first released a few years back.  not sure if typos carry any extra value, but it sure was funny :)
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    I personally can't see them having any significant value over a regular set. It seems to be common in other hobbies, but not Lego. No idea why.

Which is a shame, because I have a UCS Slave-1 in which the sticker happily declares that is is fitted with 'tracor beams'!
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    I personally can't see them having any significant value over a regular set. It seems to be common in other hobbies, but not Lego. No idea why.
    Are you perhaps comparing other collecting hobbies? That's only a secondary aspect when it comes to LEGO sets, so that probably "dilutes" the interest.
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 561
    Sorry to bump an old thread but thought this was interesting and thought I would share it. Was scanning eBay and found this Captain Rex helmet that sold with a misprint for $99. I don't know if it is just me but I was surprised to see that this one sold for as much as it did. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Misprint-Captain-Rex-Phase-II-Helmet-75012-Mis-print-Very-Rare-/152623377171?hash=item23890feb13:g:DdAAAOSw95FZaEbm&nma=true&si=9XehqYzwnearE6ZbtdAT0O1hGxg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,358
    That's not a misprint, it's simply faulty...
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,566
    Why would you want a faulty part? And pay through the nose to get it??
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    I think it's because of the complete rarity of the item, mistakes like these can be total one-offs, and happen especially rarely with the quality control with companies such as LEGO. People pay a lot for shorts and marbled bricks, though marbled bricks also look a lot cooler!
    Jackad7
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
    Bobflip said:
    I think it's because of the complete rarity of the item, mistakes like these can be total one-offs, and happen especially rarely with the quality control with companies such as LEGO. People pay a lot for shorts and marbled bricks, though marbled bricks also look a lot cooler!
    Best me to it! Marbled bricks are a great example because its a 'faulty' part just like a misprint but massively more appealing since bricks themselves arent meant to be a certain way (as opposed to printed/specialized parts). Since quality control usually sweeps misprinted/malformed/marbled parts iut they are very rare so some people collect the rare parts. I have a malformed leg for R2-Q2 (#7915) that I got with set. Neat to have since I got it myself but I dont see the appeal in buying faulty parts with the exception of marbled bricks.
    I think the value of having a badly printed part has gone down significantly recently as badly printed parts have been escaping from Chinese factories with a high occurence. For example, there is a guy on BL selling stuff like this:

In some cases, if the parts are unprinted, they can be quite valuable (I bought a load of unprinted Theoden helmets, for example) but the dodgy prints just seem poor quality and not actually that rare now.

MynattJackad7Bobflip
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    That's pretty interesting to know actually!

I have to admit I hesitated while typing 'quality control' with the thought of cracked cheese slopes in the back of my mind.

And also, they are not just a few of this and a few of that. He often has 1000s of the same error part at the start, so when things go wrong they obviously go very wrong.