Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

British builders in the Guinness Book of Records

PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,532
edited September 2015 in Everything else LEGO
The team from UK LUG The Brickish Association, who team-built the Tower Bridge set (#10214) at Brick 2014, breaking the world record in the process, is in the new edition of the Guinness Book of Records.

Unfortunately the people at Guinness World Records have somehow managed to get the time wrong, as it was done in 1hr 20mins 38secs, rather than 1hr 30mins 38secs. Still, it's nice to get our photo in the actual book! :)

khmellymel

Comments

• SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,784
    1091 complete lego sets, someone here must be able to better that.
    andhebrownbricks720
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,363
    the record is only about assembling them? some lego reviewer may beat that.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    There is is no way that's anywhere near the real record for sets assembled. It's just the one that took the time to document it for the book 
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    edited September 2015
    In the least 'show-offy' way possible, I own comfortably more sets than that. Plenty of Brickish members have collections of several thousand sets and Michael LeCount owns, for all intents and purposes at least, a couple of just about everything!

I think it's fair to say that 1091 sets is a big collection, but not even close to the biggest.

Anyway, congratulations to all the participants in the Tower Bridge speed build!
    drdavewatforddougts
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,453
    You're both right to a degree. I'm sure plenty of people here own way more sets than 1091, myself included. But, are all of your sets built and on display like his were, that's where the record comes from. There is a picture here of his record but I don't know which thread it's in. 
    do CMFs count as sets?
    ^ They are sold packaged individually so I would say yes. 
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    oldtodd33 said:
    But, are all of your sets built and on display like his were, that's where the record comes from.
    The text states "LARGEST...Collection of interlocking plastic brick sets" so whether or not they're assembled and/or on display should be irrelevant, no?
    The meticulous hobby has earned Captain Kyle Ugone the title of world champion for the most completed Lego sets in a private collection.

The article states it this way. So, I don't know if GBWR requires them to be opened and built or if that's the just the way it is because that's what he has. Could you have more if they were sealed? Sure, but that's another record maybe in that state of condition. 
    edited September 2015
    Here is a link to the GBWR website.
      http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/explore-records

Ok, the link doesn't go to my search. Just type in "Lego" and I got 45 records. 
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Megablocks should count too.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    Should do, but has MegaBloks made 1,091 sets?
  • calumheathcalumheath Member Posts: 24
    This is a subject close to my heart.

I contacted Guinness last year about my collection of factory-sealed LEGO sets. I wasn't definitely going for the record but I was just checking out whether a record existed.

After some discussion, they weren't interested that they were factory-sealed and wouldn't allow duplicates. They would only offer me a chance to break the title held by Kyle Ugone, which isn't quite what I was after - as somebody else above has pointed out, I bet there are loads of people with more than 1,091 sets.

I agree the wording of the title of the record is too broad.

I didn't bother pursuing it any further.
    andhedougtsoldtodd33kiki180703
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,875
    If they're not built then I guess you could argue (or rather they could) that you can't prove that they're complete (except of course if they're factory sealed... but even...)

I think I remember reading something about new records having to be distinct and quantifiable. Hence why they're not interested in unassembled complete lego sets, as they already have a record for assembled complete lego sets.

So if you want to beat that record, you're going to have to get building!

(Congrats to @Paperballpark and the team for their record).
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,236
    They should be built and not duplicates. Otherwise Amazon probably have the largest collection. OK, maybe they are not an individual, but the record would be held by a reseller rather than collector.

It's the stockroom vs collection argument again.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are others out there who have more than 1100 that are built.

It's a rather arbitrary way to draw up the particulars of the record.  I mean, there are probably ten different ways you could do a "most LEGO sets" record, why is this particular methodology the one selected?  Seems random.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,784
    edited September 2015
    I think its more impressive and provable to do it with built sets so I can understand that but I am interested at some of the crazy numbers that people on here will have built or otherwise. Less interested as to how many resellers have store away.
    ^ well, I only have about 500 sets in my personal collection, but I've only been collecting for 4 years now, so I'm pretty confident that there are many Bricksetters who easily eclipse the 1100 mark.
    The original article says Kyle called GBWR and was told there was no record at the time so he was and apparently still is the only person to attempt it. There is a member here who only visits once in a great while who either had his collection open or mentioned, I don't remember which, that he had over 5000 different sets. I don't know if they are built though. 
    This is a subject close to my heart.

I contacted Guinness last year about my collection of factory-sealed LEGO sets. I wasn't definitely going for the record but I was just checking out whether a record existed.
    I guess TLG would own this world record lol
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    dougts said:
    ^ well, I only have about 500 sets in my personal collection, but I've only been collecting for 4 years now, so I'm pretty confident that there are many Bricksetters who easily eclipse the 1100 mark.
    Same as you just about, with 543 unique sets (each complete CMF Series counts as 1 only). With that, I have 386 sets built so far which is 71% of the entire collection. So I can only imagine how staggeringly substantial 1,100 sets would be.