Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Marvel Discussion

Comments

• LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 727
    I recently read that the Fantastic Four will be getting an ongoing comic series again. Do you reckon this makes it any more likely that we'll see them appear in a Lego set? Especially with parts like the longer arms from Elastigirl available as options...
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    The first family of Marvel is returning because Marvel finally won their war of attrition with Fox, so it's likely Marvel will start allowing more X-Men/FF content to be produced now. Personally, TLG can keep the spaghetti arms, I would prefer Sue to have regular minifigure arms.
    gmonkey76MegtheCatSumoLegoxiahna
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,394
    ^ The FF movie rights finally go back to Marvel? I thought there was supposed to be a sequel to the latest movie (although I don't know why).

I'd love to see Blade and Ghost Rider be incorporated as well as finally getting Namor involved (maybe with the FF into the MCU). And who doesn't want some Howard the Duck!
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    Yes no more spaghetti arms, or at lest give us a torso with regular arms too.
    SumoLegoMegtheCatMynattMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,942
    ...I'd love to see Blade and Ghost Rider be incorporated as well as finally getting Namor involved...
    Ghost Rider is already back with Disney/Marvel.  He was featured on Agents of SHIELD.  Namor is still tied up with Universal, so I wouldn't expect a movie or just about anything with that property anytime soon.

Blade returned to Marvel/Disney as well.  Although that property is less kid-friendly, so I wouldn't expect those to be incorporated into the MCU.
    VorpalRyu
    VorpalRyu said:
    ...Marvel finally won their war of attrition with Fox, so it's likely Marvel will start allowing more X-Men/FF content to be produced now...
    I wouldn't expect anything soon - the merger needs to be approved.  And there are ridiculous rules when entities are in the process of merging or being acquired.  (The SEC treats 'self-dealing' between merging entities very seriously.)

And so they will languish a bit longer... for the movies.  Unless based on cartoon or some other property, I wouldn't expect any new LEGO sets.  (Plus, it's 18-24 months for a set to get produced, anyway.)
    VorpalRyu
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    Way to kill the buzz dad.
    VorpalRyugmonkey76SumoLegoFizyxBumblepantsflordGoldchains
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,394
    SumoLego said:
    ...I'd love to see Blade and Ghost Rider be incorporated as well as finally getting Namor involved...
    Ghost Rider is already back with Disney/Marvel.  He was featured on Agents of SHIELD.  Namor is still tied up with Universal, so I wouldn't expect a movie or just about anything with that property anytime soon.

Blade returned to Marvel/Disney as well.  Although that property is less kid-friendly, so I wouldn't expect those to be incorporated into the MCU.
    I understand the issue with Namor. As for Ghost Rider, I meant Johnny Blaze. I liked the Agents of Shield stuff at first but have since become bored with it.
    gmonkey76SumoLego
    SumoLego said: 
    I wouldn't expect anything soon - the merger needs to be approved.  And there are ridiculous rules when entities are in the process of merging or being acquired.  (The SEC treats 'self-dealing' between merging entities very seriously.)

And so they will languish a bit longer... for the movies.  Unless based on cartoon or some other property, I wouldn't expect any new LEGO sets.  (Plus, it's 18-24 months for a set to get produced, anyway.)
    I was figuring with how long TLG takes to develop a set, the earliest we might see a FF or X-Men set would be 2020, outside possbility for 2019 if TLG had an empty slot or two for the third or last quarter. I was wondering how long the merger would take, I expected even if they could get it out of way quickly, they'd probably wait until after IW or Avengers 4 to introduce X-Men or FF characters into the MCU, but if the deal needs SEC approval for the merger, I'm guessing we could be waiting even longer.
    SumoLegoxiahna
    pharmjod said:
    Way to kill the buzz dad.
    Lawyer Dad.  All I do is kill buzzes.
    gmonkey76FizyxpharmjodVorpalRyuGoldchainsstluxxiahnakhmellymel
    VorpalRyu said:
    ...possbility for 2019 if TLG had an empty slot or two for the third or last quarter..
    LEGO could do a set based on some other Marvel or FF property - like the non-Suicide Squad 'coincidence' sets from a couple of years ago.  

We could all be surprised with a Super Hero Squad FF/Dr. Doom set.  (How's that for un-buzzkilling.)
    pharmjodVorpalRyu
    SumoLego said:
    LEGO could do a set based on some other Marvel or FF property - like the non-Suicide Squad 'coincidence' sets from a couple of years ago.  

We could all be surprised with a Super Hero Squad FF/Dr. Doom set.  (How's that for un-buzzkilling.)
    I strongly suspected that we'll probably see comics based sets before anything relating to any movies. I'm hoping we'll see at least one set a year based on X-Men comics characters once TLG starts producing stuff based on them.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76SumoLegoxiahnaPhantomLord
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,835
    I really want more X-Men sets, hopefully in the vein of the 2014 X-Jet set. All the minifigs in that were great. So many mutants that we still need in Lego form.
    VorpalRyuSumoLegogmonkey76flord
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 673
    VorpalRyu said:
    The first family of Marvel is returning because Marvel finally won their war of attrition with Fox, so it's likely Marvel will start allowing more X-Men/FF content to be produced now. Personally, TLG can keep the spaghetti arms, I would prefer Sue to have regular minifigure arms.
    I hate to nerd this place up any more than it already is, but I think you mean Mr. Fantastic’s arms.  Sue is the invisible one, and I would really like a ghosted Sue minifigure.
    BrickByBrickMegtheCatBumblepantsdatsunrobbieSumoLegogmonkey76Onebricktoomanypharmjodxiahna
    flord said:
    I hate to nerd this place up any more than it already is, but I think you mean Mr. Fantastic’s arms.
    Because we need to be able to MOC this scene...

(Besides mocking the scene, of course.)
    gmonkey76FizyxOnebricktoomanyVorpalRyuflordMynattLEGOFan2
    Thank you @flord for pointing that out (feeling like a bit of an idjit for that one), but I will blame a lack of sleep at the time for the error.

@SumoLego, no, just NOOOO! Not the cringiest scene in that movie, please just mock it & not MOC it.
    flordxiahnaSumoLego
  • MattyodellMattyodell UkMember Posts: 10
    Just ordered 76109 Quantum Realm Explorers. Excited to complete my set of founding Avengers!

Has there been any further information about the second Antman and Wasp set? Or the other Infinity War set there was rumoured to be? 
    VorpalRyu
  • BlueberryWafflesBlueberryWaffles MinnesotaMember Posts: 23
    Has there been any further information about the second Antman and Wasp set? Or the other Infinity War set there was rumoured to be? 
    I think those were just rumors. Unfortunately, it looks like the Quantum Realm Explorers set is the last thing Marvel is getting for 2018, outside of the Groot and Rocket Brickheadz twopack later in the year.

It's a shame really, I would love some sets based on the Into the Spider-Verse movie. Or another Ant-Man and the Wasp set with Luiz and Hank.
    FowlerBricksBrickByBrickSumoLego
  • UmandraugUmandraug Doomstadt, LatveriaMember Posts: 69
    I think those were just rumors. Unfortunately, it looks like the Quantum Realm Explorers set is the last thing Marvel is getting for 2018, outside of the Groot and Rocket Brickheadz twopack later in the year.

It's a shame really, I would love some sets based on the Into the Spider-Verse movie. Or another Ant-Man and the Wasp set with Luiz and Hank.
    Luiz’ van would be great. They could base it on that car chase from the trailer, with the various giant-sized obstacles.
  • 1x11x1 Member Posts: 122
    I think when the first ant-man film came out there was supposed to be two sets but the second never materialised.
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 737
    ^Maybe it was just really tiny ;)
    MaffyDFowlerBricksBumblepantsFizyxmsandersToc13
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 815
    People get so antsy about these sets for some reason.
    560HeliportBumblepants
    1x1 said:
    I think when the first ant-man film came out there was supposed to be two sets but the second never materialised.
    Given that Dr.  Strange only had one set, and that all of the principle characters appeared in the single Ant-Man set, I highly doubt a second set was on the slate.
    Bumblepantspharmjodgmonkey76
    zoolanderschoolforantsmeme.gif
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    Yeah, I think the Final Battle set covered the first movie nicely. Can't really think of any other sets they could have done. So much of that movie takes place inside the Pym house, which probably doesn't make a fun set for kids.
    Just a side note - now that there are competing bids for the IP owned by Fox, were are all of those speculating about the X-Men, FF or other Marvel properties immediately returning to the MCU?

-crickets-
    ^From what I read Disney upped their offer, and it was accepted. Now it up to government approval.
    SumoLego
    Until someone else puts in another offer...
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    Just saw THOR: RAGNAROK (it arrived on Viaplay). Loved the movie... but really find the Lego sets inadequate. Minifigs and sets. I know I’m properly a year behind this discussion, but I just needed to get it ou. :-/
    FowlerBricksSumoLegoMegtheCat
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,626
    ^Lego did miss some great opportunities. A Heimdall figure would have been nice. The Commodore could have been Quinjet size. I'm fairly happy with the existing sets, since Thor is done so well, but they definitely could have done a lot more. (No Executioner minifigure? What is wrong with you Lego!?)
    SumoLegoicey117MegtheCat
    Um Korg?  Korg!!!!
    BumblepantsBrickByBrickFowlerBricksMegtheCatgmonkey76Brixfan02
    edited June 2018
    SumoLego said:
    Um Korg?  Korg!!!!
    That's just what Doug said!

At least Thor 3 got some sets, I was disappointed we didn't get any Dark World sets or ones from the first one.
    FowlerBricksSumoLegoBrixfan02
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,539
    I was happy with the Ragnarok minifig selection: 2 sets each featuring a major set piece within the film, containing the majority of characters for the first billed actors. It could've done with Heimdall and Skurge, but you already had 11 minifigs in 2 sets (yes, I know 3 of them were cannon fodder)...

I am awaiting the next stage of the Fox tennis match with bated breath, and will not comment further (much) until we know what's going on. Same thing as with Star Trek rumours...
    FowlerBricks
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    edited June 2018
    Granted it was a hard movie to make sets for. I am not going to ask for an ark filked w 200 asgadians (though it would be nice).

Minifigs: The grandmaster and the Valkyrian was flat out boring. Maybe TLC made them too quick! Hela’s legs!?!! What happened there?

Sets: The arena is uappealing. Commodore is ok. But Fenris is amazing.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 620
    I thought Valyrie was fine, but I NEED a Korg minifig (well bigfig probably). If either set had come with him I would've bought it immediately after seeing the movie.
    FowlerBricks
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,296
    hulk is great. before I only had darkseid as bigfig which I found pretty mediocre, so wasn't sure about getting more bigfig, but hulk must be amongst the best figs.
    FowlerBricks
    That's just what Doug said!
    Old Doug or New Doug?  I get those guys confused.  As long as one of them has enough pamphlets.
    Bumblepants
    Add me to the "wants more Ragnarok" train. Ideally I would've swapped out the Sakaarian Guard in the Arena for blue outfit Valkyrie (seen Ragnarok three times, still have no idea who the guard dude is), and then put white Asgardian armor Valkyrie in the Battle for Asgard set. 

Then, do a third set continuing the final battle theme, with either some Asgardian buildings or the rainbow bridge. Could come with Heimdall, Korg, Skurge, and some more of Hela's minions. Maybe even Loki in his black armor.

There could even be a smaller set based on the opening, with long haired Thor and a brick-built Surtur reusing the head from Steppenwolf, it's almost perfect for Surtur.
    FowlerBricksBrickByBrick
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,626
    Add me to the "wants more Ragnarok" train. Ideally I would've swapped out the Sakaarian Guard in the Arena for blue outfit Valkyrie (seen Ragnarok three times, still have no idea who the guard dude is), and then put white Asgardian armor Valkyrie in the Battle for Asgard set. 

The guard dude is one of the random soldiers that Thor shot/threw into the ceiling/generally mutilated. There were a couple that looked similar to the minifigure.
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 281
    What happened to the TRU Infinity War minifig pack? Did it ever reach shelves? I'm in the UK, does anyone know how I could go about acquiring one? 
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    @Matt89190 That was supposed to be a Bricktober set, so not out yet. With TRU's demise (at least in most countries), one rumour I saw was that it would be GWP from [email protected] Supposedly confirmed by CS, but unsure how reliable that is.
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 281
    @stlux Ahhh OK. Thanks!
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,539
    Well, Disney will own Fox it seems. Interesting...
    MaffyD said:
    Well, Disney will own Fox it seems. Interesting...
    I feel like I should be mad.

But at the same time, I want to see what Marvel does with their newly returned properties...

...Also I think this means Disney owns the distribution rights for Shrek...
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    Shrek is DreamWorks I believe. 
    pharmjod said:
    Shrek is DreamWorks I believe. 
    Yes, but Dreamworks has distribution stuff worked out with Fox.
    SumoLegopharmjod
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    I had heard rumours that Fox were binning most of its plans for separate movies themed around side characters from Spider-Man or various different takes on Mutants, older or younger. So this slightly more concrete news appears to confirm it.

Sony still have that Venom film to release later in the year which looks intriguing and people are wild for Venom's new look, but it would be disappointing if it had a cliffhanger that'll never be satisfied or followed up. Bringing mutants into the MCU and brushing Inhumans under the carpet would be a good move though - it could potentially also point at a much larger plot point again post-Infinity War. I've heard Galactus or hitherto unseen celestials mooted for a potential background menace which I'd also like to see.

I doubt that all of this will have a huge amount of influence on our ongoing Lego sets for quite a long time - as well as at least one set (surely) for Captain Marvel, we might get another range for Infinity War 2. But Lego sets will have been designed much further ahead than that potentially. They're probably being handed concepts of vehicle designs for Star Wars Episode IX as we speak, not that we'd know what they are. Hopefully not another X-Wing though.
    ^Only thing is Spider-Man is Sony and not Fox. As far as I know Sony and Marvel are playing nice right now, but that could change at any time. I don't see stand alone Spider-Man movies stopping.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    ^ although I didn't point at the right company ;) from what I hear the the same still applies to Sony - I wonder whether they will continue to crank out Spider-Man spinoffs without Spider-Man actually in them, it doesn't seem massively sustainable
    edited August 2018
    You're looking at atleast five years before any IP mergers that people are speculating about.

It makes me laugh when people 'expect' favorite characters to show up in films already in post-production.  I would be surprised if there has been any development done on Fox properties by any of the folks over at Marvel.

The added layer - that observers should realize - that it takes YEARS for complex mergers to be completed.  Excising parts of Fox that would scuttle the merger is a cottage industry for attorneys and regulator.

Speculating about Inhumans, Mutants, etc. should probably be reserved for SDCC in 2023.  Until then, focus on Infinity War: Part II, GotG 3, BP2, Captain Marvel 2... and the rest of the Sony/Disney Spider-Man Trilogy.