Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Marvel Discussion

Comments

• BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 523
    edited March 6
    I think I've said this before but I'm not too bothered about movie accuracy. I think it's more important that the set works as a unit i.e. a nice selection of mini-figs, a decent build, good playfeatures, etc. This might not be what I personally value in a LEGO set but I think it's more important for LEGO to make a good, playable, fun toy for children than a replica of a specific scene from a specific film. I think we all agree that the Mandarin car thing is the worst superhero movie set ever but as a toy from a childs point of view, there's very little to be unhappy with.

(instead of the mandarin car thing set, I personnally would have prefered a set with the Mandarin in bed, holding a can of lager, with two scantily clad ladies and a TV showing a Liverpool game)

560Heliportgmonkey76blakusdk
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 223
    @VorpalRyu I know Quinjets have been the helicopter of the MCU, but they have only been made when there have been Quinjets in the movies, and seeing as this is the end of the Avengers, it might actually be the final one they make.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,612
    I have that Mandarin set. It is a little odd from a movie-perspective, but my youngest loves playing with it. Two minifigs and a vehicle with a huge gun on it. What's not to like?
    @J0rgen - they will never stop making Avengers movies. They might put them on hold for a bit, while they sort out a new roster, but they will return. And they will have Quinjets. They might even have 5 jet engines like they're supposed to in the new ones!
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBstlux
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,238
    Also quinjets have featured in Captain America, Thor and Captain Marvel stand alone movies...quinjets are almost certainly still going to be part of the MCU after endgame.

I have a theory as to what will happen after endgame but this isn't really the place to discuss it. 
    Some people have mentioned that the Thanos bigfig in the compound set seems to only have two infinity stones and that that could be 'spoilery'. I don't think that is the case. I don't think LEGO would release an incomplete Gauntlet. I believe all 6 stones will be included with the set or, more likely, the other stones will be included individually in the other 4 sets that comprise the wave.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,190
    Marketing always trumps accuracy.
    560HeliportBOBJACK_JACKBOBBaby_Yoda
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 402
    edited March 6
    SumoLego said:
    Marketing always trumps accuracy.
    A tough lesson for my 5-year old. He got obsessed with these things called Bunch O Balloons last summer (basically a contraption that allows you to fill multiple water balloons at once). In the commercial the kids throw a water balloon at some random dude and he is automatically changed to wearing nothing but his underwear upon being hit. My son wanted them strictly for this purpose. We tried explaining it was marketing and thought he understood. However, my wife got them out for a party with his friends one evening. I asked him not to throw them at anyone and he angrily said “I KNOW DAD, I DONT WANT MY FRIENDS’ CLOTHES TO CHANGE.”
    560HeliportMegtheCatLuLegoguachiBaby_YodastluxSumoLego
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 402
    ^I should point out he understands now, but he sure was disappointed. 
    560HeliportMaffyDInfinityman
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 766
    The Brick Fan has pictures of the recently revealed #40334 Avengers Tower, what seems to be a microscope GWP. While i would love a UCS tower, this seems like a more realistic set. I'm also hoping that with the logo shown (Marvel Studios: The First 10 Years), we might get sets from some older movies, like Iron Man 1, Captain America: The First Avenger, and so forth. Sort of like how Star Wars is constantly releasing sets from the past and present. 

Thoughts?
    SumoLego
    I think for possible nostalgia sets, they could just put sets under a general 'Avengers' theme.  But LEGO seems to be pretty crafty about releasing many of the same elements and play features from year-to-year.  

However, my guess is that they'll always push sets to support the newest movies, and not reflect on the past movies.  There is nowhere near the same level of nostalgia for the early Marvel movies.  (Even Iron Man and Avengers.)
    CaptainRogersBumblepantsBaby_Yoda
    SumoLego said:
    I think for possible nostalgia sets, they could just put sets under a general 'Avengers' theme.  But LEGO seems to be pretty crafty about releasing many of the same elements and play features from year-to-year.  

However, my guess is that they'll always push sets to support the newest movies, and not reflect on the past movies.  There is nowhere near the same level of nostalgia for the early Marvel movies.  (Even Iron Man and Avengers.)
    I do not like your answer and also begrudgingly agree with it.
    SumoLegoBaby_Yoda
    I don't like my answer, either.  I'd love some proper Phase 1 sets.  

Heimdall, for Odin's sake!
    (Agent Carter, Whiplash)
    CaptainRogersVorpalRyugmonkey76FowlerBricksMynattBaby_Yoda
    Yes... Obadiah Stane! The Howling Commandos! And so forth.
    VorpalRyuSumoLegogmonkey76FowlerBricksMynattMr_Cross
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 765
    edited March 11
    ^Whiplash?  The movie where J. Jonah Jameson teaches Reed Richards how to play drums? 
    SumoLegogmonkey76MrJackson
    dmcc0 said:
    ^Whiplash?  The movie where J. Jonah Jameson teaches Reed Richards how to play drums? 
    I would buy that set.  Then they go to a maximum security prison run by Winston from Ghostbusters.
    gmonkey76dmcc0matticus_bricks
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 177
    I was still in my dark ages when the first Marvel films were coming to theaters and was very surprised to learn that Avengers and IM3 were the first Marvel films to get tie-in LEGO sets.

With the upcoming release of the Hall of Armor, I would love to see some additional IM releases to fill out the hall...
    CaptainRogersMegtheCatVorpalRyu
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 729
    SumoLego said:
    I don't like my answer, either.  I'd love some proper Phase 1 sets.  

Heimdall, for Odin's sake!
    (Agent Carter, Whiplash)
    I'm just happy that Hasbro is finally doing a Carter figure this year! That girl gets no respect when it comes to merchandise. 

I'd be over the moon if Lego would revisit the Cap mythos though! A Zola figure or brick built construct would be most welcome! 
    MegtheCatVorpalRyu
    I don't like that answer and I disagree! I think that nowadays there is much less of a gap between a current film release and what is seen as 'classic' movies. Some of this is thrust upon us by the movie marketing machine, but also by (some) consumers who tend to want more, now and exactly how they want it. Disney is especially prone to it - their classic box set includes films from 2016, and yet they market it as a classics set including 2018.

They can definitely market Phase 1 Marvel in Lego. It just might come under a different banner 'MCU Origins' or something...
    VorpalRyuSumoLegoBaby_Yoda
    ...Avengers Assemble...
    gmonkey76
  • night13flyernight13flyer u.s.a.Member Posts: 4
    Didn't they already release all stones previous movie?

Some people have mentioned that the Thanos bigfig in the compound set seems to only have two infinity stones and that that could be 'spoilery'. I don't think that is the case. I don't think LEGO would release an incomplete Gauntlet. I believe all 6 stones will be included with the set or, more likely, the other stones will be included individually in the other 4 sets that comprise the wave.

• J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 223
    @MaffyD All the major theatrical releases from Disney Animation are labeled «Classics», that's why it includes new films and even has room for Ralph Breaks the Internet.
    SumoLegoMaffyDstluxgmonkey76Baby_Yoda
    Frozen 2 is already a classic.  And it hasn't been released yet.
    gmonkey76
    edited March 12
    night13flyer said:
    Didn't they already release all stones previous movie?
    Yes.  This means you need to buy them all again.  Collect them all!
    gmonkey76VorpalRyu
    ^ exactly!
    gmonkey76SumoLegoVorpalRyu
  • blakusdkblakusdk PerthMember Posts: 39
    New Endgame trailer is amazing! Has the release date of the new sets been announced  
    FowlerBricksSumoLegowardm
  • MattyodellMattyodell UkMember Posts: 10
    Can someone with better eyesight tell me if all the Quantum suits the same? 
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,643
    @Mattyodell The Lego ones or the on-screen ones?
  • MattyodellMattyodell UkMember Posts: 10
    @Mattyodell The Lego ones or the on-screen ones?
    The Lego ones. 
    @Mattyodell They are all the same, which stinks, since War Machine's is very clearly different on-screen
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    @FowlerBricks I was just saying to my wife a couple of minutes ago that I wished War Machine came with a shoulder/chest part, just to bulk him out a little.
    SumoLegoFowlerBricks
    Which is a little weird - given that Tony Stark's armour appears to be 'normal' and not otherwise enhanced.

The new trailer is most excellent.  I'm happy they waited on releasing it until after Captain Marvel.  I'm now wondering if they deliberately made her look a few years older for Avengers: Endgame.
    FowlerBricksBaby_Yoda
    @BOBJACK_JACKBOB Extra bulk would inhibit movement, and lower play value.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 755
    edited March 15
    I imagine the reason they didn't add extra armor to this War Machine fig might be because they didn't do so for any previous versions of the fig. It's not like this version of War Machine seems bulkier than he is normally; it's just that the size/bulk difference between him and the other characters is more apparent when all the characters are wearing a more standardized costume design.

It might also have been a concession to fit him into the mech in the "War Machine Buster" set. Figs with added armor can be trickier to fit into a compact mech cockpit than unarmored figs.
    FowlerBricksReesesPiecesSumoLegostlux
    @FowlerBricks not really, I was talking about the the armour pieces used on Silver Centurion, Batman on occasion, Nexo Knights, something along those lines.

@Lyichir good points, especially the fitting into the mech one.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,791
    SumoLego said:
    Which is a little weird - given that Tony Stark's armour appears to be 'normal' and not otherwise enhanced.
    Isnt War Machines armour a few versions behind Tony's? I got the impression that he was still part of the military so TS never wanted to upgrade him too much. 

I am so excited after seeing the trailer for Avengers Endgame. I feel like I need to see Captain Marvel first though. As it acts like a prologue. 
    blakusdkSumoLego
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,476
    ^You don't have to see Captain Marvel first it puts too many plot holes in other Marvel movies. If you can still find it on line you only need to see the one end credit scene to kind of find out what you need to know.
    SumoLego
    Too many plot holes?  Other than the timeline origin of an eyepatch, I'm not sure what you're referring to.  (Although, I'd like to hear what those over in the Avengers: Infinity War Spoilers thread in the off-topic.)
    gmonkey76stlux
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 888
    I would watch captain marvel first so you have a background to a character who is due to play a vital role.  You don't want to be sitting watching Endgame with lots of questions about her
    SumoLegostluxRedbullgivesuwindspepper
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 696
    Sorry to interrupt the Captain Marvel discussion,  but I have an Iron Man question. I've recently gone down the "collecting every Iron Man variant"  (except sh027) rabbit hole and I've come across sh065 and sh072a, both Mark 42s from Iron Man 3. Sho72 comes with a plain white head, while sh065 has a Tony Stark head. Why the difference? They're the same otherwise?
    VorpalRyu
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 585
    @flord it’s because the first comes in a set where the suit is being worn by Tony Stark and the second comes in a set where the suit is just on display and Tony Stark is wearing a regular outfit (minifigure sh069)
    SumoLegoflord
    ^ Gotcha, thanks. It's also annoying that sh498 and sh167 are both labelled MK43s but have different torsos. Why Lego, why?
    SumoLegoVorpalRyu
    nexander said:
    I would watch captain marvel first so you have a background to a character who is due to play a vital role.
    I would make the same argument for seeing Black Panther before Avengers: Infinity War.

(Then you would have no idea that there is a technologically advanced stronghold on C-53 that would able to repel an outrider invasion.)

Definitely need to see Captain Marvel before Endgame!
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 567
    flord said:
    ^ Gotcha, thanks. It's also annoying that sh498 and sh167 are both labelled MK43s but have different torsos. Why Lego, why?
    It's the same suit, but the sh498 one has some panels missing.
    VorpalRyu
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 815
    Surely the most relevant film to have seen before Endgame is Ant-Man and the Wasp? Captain Marvel is powerful, but what they’ve discovered in the Ant-Man storyline is going to be very important. I’ll leave any further details for the separate spoiler thread.
    SumoLegogmonkey76VorpalRyuMegtheCat
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 638
    I'd agree, feel AMatW is more important than Captain Marvel having seen both
    VorpalRyu
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,263
    Reading up the plot for Captain Marvel, it sounds like a complete cluster-frak, pulling from Mar-Vell (the original Captain Marvel), Rambeau & Danvers....so I'll possibly give it a miss. The big issue is, if she's such a heavy hitter, why is it only now that Fury called her in, CM causes a massive smoking crater sized plot hole in the MCU, why was she not called in when Loki seized the Tesseract, or when Ultron went psychotic?
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    edited March 18
    Well, one can chalk up the Loki business as a test of the Avengers Initiative.  If the invasion force broke containment, Fury could always have called in the cavalry (Ms. Danvers).

Ultron was a completely self-inflicted situation.  The twist here is that the Avengers readily stand together.  Fittingly, Fury was the cavalry on that one.  If things went poorly, then Ms. Danvers could have been utilized to save humanity after catastrophe.  

(I think the SHIELD series suffers more in that their most recent season plot features the Kree subjugating humanity after the Earth is essentially destroyed.  There is no way - even with time jumps, etc. - that the primary and secondary Avengers would have absent.  Particularly Captain Marvel.  But as much as I enjoy the show, it doesn't serve the MCU narrative.  Separation of the serial television series and movie properties is one area where DC has done much better than Marvel.)
    stluxMegtheCatpxchris
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 729
    SumoLego said:
    Well, one can chalk up the Loki business as a test of the Avengers Initiative.  If the invasion force broke containment, Fury could always have called in the cavalry (Ms. Danvers).

Ultron was a completely self-inflicted situation.  The twist here is that the Avengers readily stand together.  Fittingly, Fury was the cavalry on that one.  If things went poorly, then Ms. Danvers could have been utilized to save humanity after catastrophe.  

SumoLegoBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 815
    Agents of Shield used to be amazing at reflecting what was going on in the MCU (remember the early Chitauri scavenging and Hydra storylines?) but the more recent ventures are very bizarre. However any story that goes into a future that won't actually exist asking for odd plot holes. 
    I am surprised to see the Endgame sets on YouTube this morning. I haven't checked, but they must be up on EBay for sale.