Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 773
    I toyed around with the idea of going to the event today because I had the time I could spend doing it, but a number of things discouraged me in the end. I’d need to pay at least £40 for the train return (even with a railcard) plus underground (don’t really want to do that for risk of getting a box battering) or a taxi (safer but more expensive). The whole idea of wheeling that massive box around London and on and off trains/taxis just puts me off.

Am I right in thinking this is the first signing event to take place on a Saturday or Sunday (for any theme at Leicester Square)? If so hopefully they do more at weekends with a smaller set that’s easier to get back with!

Still about 50 places left in the queue around an hour after the event has actually started is not a great sign!
    The top secret Creator Routemaster London Bus happened on a Saturday, IIRC
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    I stopped in my local Lego Store and was informed they will have just over 30 ISD's for sale on opening day. The salesman is projecting to sell around 15 on the first day. Work dependent, I am planning on being there early Wednesday.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 461
    edited September 16
    Small update, a few of us are still waiting to get in, but there’s still no more than 150 people in the queue.

if you want one, I reckon you can probably turn up at any point before Henrik heads off at 4pm. No need to rush. :)
    @Mr_Hobbles

I’m curious to hear how things went... did they have to shut down the line or were there plenty of sets to go around?  Did you happen to see any fellow Bricksetters ?  Last time (for #75192 ) there was a running commentary here and I believe on the front page also...
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,497
    cavegod said:
    The potential upcoming Kylo Shuttle might as well be UCS with its size. Looks slightly bigger even than the dark grey one from TFA.
    This is UCS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/47178883551/in/album-72157667195711058/
    Have those bricks been painted to give a weathered look, or is TLG shade variation worse than it was on my UCS imperial shuttle? :)
    I’d say it’s just dust. It’s really hard to have a dust free black anything. 
    That is a thing of beauty! 
    bandit778
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 277
    Small update, a few of us are still waiting to get in, but there’s still no more than 150 people in the queue.

if you want one, I reckon you can probably turn up at any point before Henrik heads off at 4pm. No need to rush. :)
    @Mr_Hobbles

I’m curious to hear how things went... did they have to shut down the line or were there plenty of sets to go around?  Did you happen to see any fellow Bricksetters ?  Last time (for #75192 ) there was a running commentary here and I believe on the front page also...
    The line wasn’t shut. Although the event started at 12 it was around 2.30pm before they got around to me. At that point there still wasn’t more than another 50 or so behind me. I think anyone who had come before the event ended at 4pm could have got their set signed and the certificate.

I didn’t see any bricksetters I know, but then I arrived comparatively late and was number 99 in the queue.

Yep, I was at the Falcon event and was following the Brickset article and threads while in the queue. Although it ran very late it was a good event. This was very subdued in comparison.

KungFuKenny
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 755
    ^This actually made me check out rebrickable to see if I had the parts to build the UCS Falcon.  Apparently I'm only 277 parts (33 unique) short if I ignore colours.....
    KungFuKennyBumblepantsFizyxMr_CrossLittleLoristarwars4everJackad7
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 755
    edited September 16
    I definitely will at some point, but clicking on the "Find Parts" button shows that 9 out of the first 10 sets that the parts come from are in still sealed!  I need to find time to build more
    KungFuKennyAstrobrickscatwrangler
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    cavegod said:
    The potential upcoming Kylo Shuttle might as well be UCS with its size. Looks slightly bigger even than the dark grey one from TFA.
    This is UCS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/47178883551/in/album-72157667195711058/
    Have those bricks been painted to give a weathered look, or is TLG shade variation worse than it was on my UCS imperial shuttle? :)
    Fingerprints!
    monkeyhangerAstrobricksKungFuKennyMaffyD
  • willp2003willp2003 Member Posts: 88
    I was going to order the ISD tonight, but i’m away next week, so will just have to wait until i’m back. Doesn’t sound like there’s as much hype for this compared to the Falcon.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 780
    If anyone else is interested, the VIP rewards page has been updated to show the ISD is eligible for double points 18th-22nd September inclusive (it’s a new banner). However, as of 12:20am you can’t actually order it on [email protected] yet in the UK - there’s no add to bag button even if logged in as a VIP. I guess they might enable it in the morning sometime 6-7am. I think that’s what happened with the Falcon(‘s farcical release)
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 502
    edited September 18
    ^Also now a free Battle of Hoth Micro build with Star Wars over £75.

I still want to wait for the Endor one though.. not tempting me yet LEGO.com ;) 
    The_Rancor
    UCS ISD is orderable at least in the UK as of 09:20 approx. - just reiterating my post from the [email protected] thread.
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 405
    Not that I plan on buying it, but even though I am a VIP the UCS ISD does not show that I can add it to the cart, says I need to become a VIP to purchase it early. I even went to my VIP account and navigated to the product page from a link there (after I logged in).
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 502
    I’ve seen it all now... nothing else to say, apart from my offer would be £800 no more. 

Baby_Yoda
    Fireheart said:
    I’ve seen it all now... nothing else to say, apart from my offer would be £800 no more. 

But they are offering “lots extras”... how can you pass up that opportunity! 😀
    JudgeChuckJackad7
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 35
    Customer Service Chat indicated the SD was going live at 'around 9am Eastern time.'  I was already logged in, refreshed the page a little after 9 am and ordered without any snags.

I was expecting the worst with this website, but was pleasantly surprised.  The site processed the order smoothly, got the confirmation email shortly after.

...so...I got that goin' for me.  Which is nice.
    AstrobricksLittleLori
  • JaimitoJaimito NYCMember Posts: 20
    Ordered. Now I just need a place to display it...
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 886
    Jaimito said:
    Ordered. Now I just need a place to display it...
    You're welcome to leave it at my place. I can even build it for you as well!
    JudgeChuckFizyxKungFuKennyJaimitoBaby_YodaCharmiefcbJ0rgenJackad7
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,841
    Fireheart said:

Is that because you're holding a thermal detonator?
    dmcc0FizyxKungFuKennyBaby_YodaSumoLegoVorpalRyuFireheartgmonkey76
    edited September 19
    According to Rebelscum the ISD is already sold out in Australia / New Zealand... quite surprising considering the price of 1099 AUD equates to $749 US!  Maybe stocks for that part of the world were just particularly slim...

https://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/75252_Imperial_Star_Destroyer_Sold_Out_in_AUNZ_185154.asp
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,868
    According to Rebelscum the ISD is already sold out in Australia / New Zealand... quite surprising considering the price of 1099 AUD equates to $749 US!  Maybe stocks for that part of the world were just particularly slim...

https://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/75252_Imperial_Star_Destroyer_Sold_Out_in_AUNZ_185154.asp
    Probably just their crap website struggling to keep up. It will no doubt return to Backorder soon enough.
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 93
    Maybe stocks for that part of the world were just particularly slim...
    Possibly, or... in a country where $1,000,000+ for a rundown 3 bedroom fibro dump 35km from the nearest city centre fails to raise eyebrows anymore, maybe we just have more money than sense!
    blakusdkFizyxBaby_Yoda
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 796
    Possibly, or... in a country where $1,000,000+ for a rundown 3 bedroom fibro dump 35km from the nearest city centre fails to raise eyebrows anymore, maybe we just have more money than sense!
    Well, I mean, that's what happens with you're using a fake monopoly money like AUD!
    Polyphemus
    Fibro dump?
  • willp2003willp2003 Member Posts: 88
    Anyone in the UK ordered the ISD? Just wondering how quick [email protected] are turning round orders. I’m away next week, but wondering if I can order on Sunday to get the double points but have it arrive after next Friday. 
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 992
    Fibro dump?
    Fibro- Australian slang for fibrous cement.  Asbestos based fibrous cement was an incredibly common construction material in wide use through the early to late 20th Century.  It was generally used for its water resistant and fireproof qualities. Products included internal wall sheeting, external roof sheeting and fencing. Any home built between the mid 1940’s to late 1970’s is guaranteed to have at least some Asbestos based cement used in its construction (generally bathroom and kitchen areas).  It’s manufacture and use is linked to the disease Asbestosis and it’s work and removal is highly regulated and ridiculously expensive.
      Dump - fairly worldwide slang for a house in disrepair.

TMYN
    560HeliportSumoLegoAstrobricksgmonkey76KerreLittleLoriPolyphemus
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,025
    I thought that was a Metamucil joke.
    Fizyxgmonkey76Polyphemus
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 886
    willp2003 said:
    Anyone in the UK ordered the ISD? Just wondering how quick [email protected] are turning round orders. I’m away next week, but wondering if I can order on Sunday to get the double points but have it arrive after next Friday. 
    It's currently back-ordered in the UK. It says it should arrive by October 1st so you should probably be safe ordering on Sunday.

I was in a Lego store yesterday (Metrocentre) and he said they had about half of their initial stock left. They really didn't know how popular it would be so had numbered bricks to give out to the people arriving pre-store opening. It turns out they needn't have bothered as they had plenty of stock for the handful of people who turned up.
    [email protected] in the US is offering a BB8 polybag with a $60 SW purchase if you sign up for text messages. The link doesn't work for me though.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,841
    Was at Metrocentre today and they had a built ISD in the window - impressively huge and yet a bit crap at the same time. Disappointingly, you can see the multicoloured underpinnings of the bridge tower through the gap between the top edge and the back plating of the bridge assembly. Also a lot of exposure of the sides of the cones making up the main engines (which are repurposed UCS MF cockpit body pieces) show it up to be an incorrect shape (straight edged cone rather than shallow bowl attached to a cylinder. Due to how few parts make up the engines, they really lack detail like ridging.

Stick this next to the MF in The Lego shop and people would be wondering how the hell the ISD costs anywhere near the amount of the MF. £500 seems more than enough for this model.
    KungFuKennyBrainslugged
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 997
    I'd be interested in knowing, how many people passed on the MF, but won't pass on the ISD?

I liked the MF, but no way I'd spend the money on it, so once I let that pass, the ISD becomes a very as pass, as are any future items in this category.  To me going down the rabbit hole would have been buying the Falcon leading to needing the next and the next...

Charmiefcb
    ryjay said:
    I'd be interested in knowing, how many people passed on the MF, but won't pass on the ISD?

I liked the MF, but no way I'd spend the money on it, so once I let that pass, the ISD becomes a very as pass, as are any future items in this category.  To me going down the rabbit hole would have been buying the Falcon leading to needing the next and the next...

I actually sold off most of my Star Wars sets to fund the Falcon. I decided I would enjoy one amazing set more than a pile of regular sets. And for that reason I also won't be getting an ISD. I do like the ISD, I just don't need a second monster sized spaceship.
    SumoLegoKungFuKennyFizyxryjayBaby_Yodamsanders
    You need a spaceship-sized monster...
    BumblepantsFizyxstluxpxchrisgmonkey76Lego_StarJackad7
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 120
    I don’t have the UCS MF. I have the Force Awakens system size set. I would love the UCS MF, but I have something to satisfy my need for a MF, and it actually fits in my cabinet.

I’m far more likely to buy the ISD. I don’t have any ISD. I didn’t like the First Order SD as much, so I don’t even have a SD of any type. They looked good, but there’s just something about the tower that evokes better thoughts—nostalgia for the old, not dislike of the new, which I love also.
    BumblepantsFizyxryjay
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 148
    edited September 21
    With all the excitement surrounding the 75252 release, I found great deals on the 75055 Destroyer and 75054 AT-AT.  Can't wait to build those while figuring out where to make room for the UCS Destroyer -- which I'll eventually get at some point.

Autumn season sure is going to be fun helping to build a fleet for the empire, muahahahaha!
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 836
    Was at Metrocentre today and they had a built ISD in the window - impressively huge and yet a bit crap at the same time. 
    I felt exactly the same way, saw it at the store in Watford this afternoon.  I was genuinely expecting to be really impressed by it, when I heard there was a new version coming out I was genuinely toying with the idea of buying it - but seeing it in the brick left me hugely underwhelmed today.  It doesn't even *feel* that big for some weird reason, and, whilst true to the source material, it really is just a big grey wedge.  Disappointing!
    gmonkey76
    I have to say, part way through the build of the ISD, it certainly doesn’t feel ‘small’ to me - I don’t know how big people could possibly have expected it to be but I’ve run out of space just to build on what is already a very large dining table, so I’ve had to place parts in odd places out of the bag to ensure I have enough clear space for sub assemblies. When it’s actually starting to come together in front of you, it softens the blow of the price tag - slightly... (though the blow can already be softened using VIP discounts). I guess we were just spoilt by the Falcon already with its minifigure scaling, interior rooms and more variety of colour & shapes on the hull. And it does suck that other countries pay less for this than the Falcon but in the UK it’s the same price.

Anyone can take issue with the high price tag, but I don’t think it’s fair to suggest the ship is ‘too grey’, ‘too small’ or ‘not accurate enough’ (on the grey point, I seem to remember OT fans recoiling at the PT for being ‘too colourful/not industrial enough’). Otherwise, having the expectation that these UCS sets will match the very best large scale MOC you’ve ever seen of the subject matter is just fallacy really.
    KungFuKennyFizyxBumblepantsklintonstluxLobotChromide
    mr_benn said:
    Was at Metrocentre today and they had a built ISD in the window - impressively huge and yet a bit crap at the same time. 
    I felt exactly the same way, saw it at the store in Watford this afternoon.  I was genuinely expecting to be really impressed by it, when I heard there was a new version coming out I was genuinely toying with the idea of buying it - but seeing it in the brick left me hugely underwhelmed today.  It doesn't even *feel* that big for some weird reason, and, whilst true to the source material, it really is just a big grey wedge.  Disappointing!
    This is the sure route to disappointment.
    SumoLego
    edited September 23
    SumoLego said:
    Disappointment is the path to the Dark Side. Disappointment leads to Exclusive Minifigures.  Exclusive Minifigures leads to Death Star Reissues.   Death Star Reissues leads to Assault on Hoth.
    Of course, even though it only retired a few years ago, and was heavily discounted for about 1/4 of it's run.... Assault on Hoth is STILL selling for more than RRP on Bricklink... Used. 

And my local Bricks and Minifigs just got a Cloud City Boba Fett in, good condition, which they are selling at the (below market rate, according to Bricklink) of $175.

Lessons learned:  Disappointment (and, in turn, the Dark Side) really is the only way to really get ahead in the LEGO game.
    mattytreks
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,251
    edited September 23
    SumoLego said:
    Disappointment is the path to the Dark Side. Disappointment leads to Exclusive Minifigures.  Exclusive Minifigures leads to Death Star Reissues.   Death Star Reissues leads to Assault on Hoth.
    Assault on Hoth leads to back to back Luke's Landspeeder reissues.
    edited September 23
    But I like Landspeeders!

(Wait, did I just admit to Sithish tendencies?)
    VorpalRyuFizyxgmonkey76Baby_Yoda
    edited September 24
    SumoLego said:
    But I like Landspeeders!

(Wait, did I just admit to Sithish tendencies?)
    Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth SumoLego the Wise?
    gmonkey76SumoLegoBumblepantsVorpalRyuBaby_YodaChromide
    edited September 24
    Fizyx said:
    Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth SumoLego the Wise?
    ...He was suffocated by his own collection of LEGO minifigure keychains....

Although, I more quickly identify with isolated but inexplicably plucky Jakku junk scavengers.  Eh?
    FizyxVorpalRyu
     Also a lot of exposure of the sides of the cones making up the main engines (which are repurposed UCS MF cockpit body pieces) show it up to be an incorrect shape (straight edged cone rather than shallow bowl attached to a cylinder. Due to how few parts make up the engines, they really lack detail like ridging.
    I’ve been looking at this also and the cone shape bothers me a bit also...

For those interested in modding I think onecase’s MOC may provide a relatively easy solution.  It uses the half spheres from the Death Star Planets set as the bowl of the engine and then builds up the cylinder in front as seen below...

This may do a better job of approximating the actual Lucasfilm model without too much expense or trouble...
    alldarkermonkeyhangerbandit778Baby_YodaGothamConstructionCocatwrangler
    ^ Except I see those hemispheres are going for $10-20 on BL.
    BrainsluggedBrickByBrick