Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 618
    MaffyD said:
    I'm not sure Lucas really had a well-developed story for the PT when he was writing the OT. An idea? Sure - the title 'Episode IV' had to come from somewhere. An inkling of which stupid species he would stick in it to appeal to the tweens?
    You realize that it wasn't even "Episode IV" as he originally concieved it, right? It was released simply as "Star Wars". That was a later addition some years after it's original release. The only back story I believe he ever gave a though to was all included in the opening scrawl of 'Star Wars'. "Episode IV: A New Hope" was as much a retrofit as everything in the gawd awful prequels.
    datsunrobbieBuriedinBricks
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 992
    “Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?” 
      I think Han could have easily added ‘or park inside a Mega class Star Destroyer’. Hyperspace ramming  is perfectly acceptable canon in my view.
    SumoLegoFizyxstluxbrickedin560Heliportdatsunrobbie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,025
    edited September 3
    ^ The implication Han makes is that the Hyperspace traveller would be destroyed - not necessarily the object in the way.  

Nonetheless, my point with Hyperspace, the Force, etc., is that less explanation and more mystery makes it better.  I hated that Solo was about stealing Hyperspace Gas. 

I'm not really upbeat about this last movie - but I hope the plot is better than RotJ.  Because it has to be.  There's a lot of nonsense that needs to be repaired or made coherent to even get to a 'good guys win the day' resolution.

RotJ - Rescue Han, Discover/Explode DSII, Vader Redeemed.  Simple, predictable, satisfying.

RoS - Ignore TLJ and redo ESB and RotJ?  Or are they continuing the 'tear down the past'... probably not with a Palpatine clone... or blah
    ... I hate this idea all over the place... how many times can Kylo and Rey really face off?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    klinton said:
    MaffyD said:
    I'm not sure Lucas really had a well-developed story for the PT when he was writing the OT. An idea? Sure - the title 'Episode IV' had to come from somewhere. An inkling of which stupid species he would stick in it to appeal to the tweens?
    You realize that it wasn't even "Episode IV" as he originally concieved it, right? It was released simply as "Star Wars". That was a later addition some years after it's original release. The only back story I believe he ever gave a though to was all included in the opening scrawl of 'Star Wars'. "Episode IV: A New Hope" was as much a retrofit as everything in the gawd awful prequels.
    While it’s true it wasn’t episode 4 until sometime around 1978, he did have the idea of a backstory in mind before the original SW release.  His original very high level synopsis of what became 1 through 6 was in place before SW hit theaters. He purposely chose to focus on the Luke portion because he had more material fleshed out there and thought it would make a better movie. 

Also so of note, Vader was not originally intended to be Luke’s father, even through the release of Star Wars. The idea of merging Vader and Anakin came about in 1978 or 79
    gmonkey76FizyxSumoLego
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,774
    I think we can all agree that Star Wars is awful and they should never make any films or Tv series again. 
    BumblepantsPyrobugMaffyDSumoLego
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,868
    I think we can all agree that Star Wars is awful and they should never make any films or Tv series again. 
    It's over! @Redbullgivesuwind has the high ground.
    RedbullgivesuwindPyrobugomniumKungFuKennySumoLegoFizyxbpk2300GothamConstructionCo
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,774
    And as we know the high ground is the only way to win a fight 🤣
    PyrobugKungFuKennySumoLego
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 886
    SumoLego said:
    Nonetheless, my point with Hyperspace, the Force, etc., is that less explanation and more mystery makes it better.
    Exactly the problem with midichlorians. As Keats said:

"Do not all charms fly 
    At the mere touch of cold philosophy? 
    There was an awful rainbow once in heaven: 
    We know her woof, her texture; she is given 
    In the dull catalogue of common things. 
    Philosophy will clip an Angel’s wings, 
    Conquer all mysteries by rule and line, 
    Empty the haunted air, and gnomed mine - 
    Unweave a rainbow"

I believe he wrote this after watching Episode I.
    KungFuKennySumoLegoMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,242
    I think often the intention with explanations in Star Wars is more subtle. I agree with @The_Rancor's idea about midichlorians not being a hard-and-fast measurement, and merely an attempt at an estimate. For another example, when Han says that the Falcon 'made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs' I imagine that was supposed to suggest that Han was lying. I doubt the writers were that smart, but it's a theory...
    SumoLego
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 379
    My understanding of midichlorians (fyi, totally from my own head) is that they help you commune with the Force but don't guarantee it - they're a measure of potential.
    SumoLego
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ...Han says that the Falcon 'made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs'...
    Funny - I always took the parsecs correction as Han bragging about the navigation computer (and his calculations) being superior.  He was able to take advantage of a shorter route that other pilots didn't know exist, or were to afraid to take.
    Fizyxdatsunrobbie
    Unless you can jump higher than the high ground.  Or maybe not.
    KungFuKennyRedbullgivesuwind
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 889
    He does say that it's "the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs"... not the pilot.
    KungFuKennySumoLegoFizyx
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 461
    edited September 3
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

Kaitch said:
    My understanding of midichlorians (fyi, totally from my own head) is that they help you commune with the Force but don't guarantee it - they're a measure of potential.
    I love how the most active thread lately is given to discussions of hyperspace ramming and midichlorians... waiting for UCS ISD info I suppose... also one of the reasons I like Brickset >>> than Eurobricks. :-)
    SumoLego
    edited September 3
    He does say that it's "the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs"... not the pilot.
    Yes, and as we clumsily learned in Solo, there is a wiseass plucky heroic protocol droid uploaded into the guts of that hunk o'junk.

And with the Hyperspace ramming, there was a bit of Hyperspace blocking that happened at the end of Rogue One when bad-ass Vader arrived and blocked the escape route out of Scarif.  The Rebel ships appeared to have bounced off of the Imperial ships exiting Hyperspace.

(Which leads me into some thoughts about Hyperspace exit points - and whether Hyperspacing past a shield is feasible, or into planets, etc., unless the exit point coincidentally happens to be in a celestial body.  If there are common Hyperspace 'routes', presumably with exits, me asking more questions starts to ruin the fun of Hyperspace travel.)

Perhaps this is why Marvel de-emphasizes the travel aspects of their cosmic universe - so morons stop asking astrophysics questions.
    560HeliportFizyxKungFuKennyMaffyD
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,565
    I predicted that the explanation of the Kessel Run boast would be one of the less climatic monologues in the film. I was not wrong. What an amazing navicomp!

I think Marvel has jump gates, but there is very little to go on, as the writers know it ought to service the story, not the other way around. Ooh, there's also instantaneous teleportation as well, but that's even more hazy.
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 225
    Binge on S.W first 6 only making me want to jump in to this theme even more
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 187
    Any SW Lego news? 
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,468
    “Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?” 
      I think Han could have easily added ‘or park inside a Mega class Star Destroyer’. Hyperspace ramming  is perfectly acceptable canon in my view.
    The only problem I have with hyperspace ramming is why bother building a Deathstar when you could just drop a few hyper-drive equipped fighters into the center of a planet and get the same effect? Over in the Marvel universe, the Vision used his ability to alter his density to disrupt opponents and objects on a regular basis, because you can't have two objects occupy the same space.
    The question is - how - would it 'end your trip'.  Like a bug on a windshield?  Are you the bug or the windshield?
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,841
    SumoLego said:
    The question is - how - would it 'end your trip'.  Like a bug on a windshield?  Are you the bug or the windshield?
    More like a cricket ball though a windshield. Throw a bullet at someone and it's not going to do any damage. Shoot it from a gun and it's not going to end well.

No new ISD news yet?
    SumoLego
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

Except for all the times that the Jedi do it. "Do as I say...."

SumoLego said:
    It depends on the size of the object. So the larger the mass of the object the more force it dispaces.

I think the reason that we had not seen it before is because there is no guarantee, like with the command ship,  it will destroy your target. You will have to use a large enough ship to destroy a death star. The rebellion doesnt have that and or cant afford to lose a ship like that. A fighter would not do enough damage to it. The ramming in TLJ was a last ditch effort. 

It isnt a great weapon either, it will destroy any ships in the surrounding area, so you would have to pulm back your forces back before you did it otherwise you will kill your own people. Plus if you are aware of the tactic then it is easy to defeat the ram by destroying the ship before it gets into position to do it. 

SumoLegoFizyxMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    I was referring to the Vader ISD entrance at the end of Rogue One.  They pop out of Hyperspace and ambush part of the Rebellion armada.  The very one-sided destruction of Rebellion ship ensues.

Again, another cool scene, but objects propelled at necessary speeds to exit or enter Hyperspace would probably cause all sorts or universal destruction.

No, no ISD news...
    kbwFizyxKungFuKennyRedbullgivesuwind
  • Gruff666Gruff666 United KingdomMember Posts: 184
    The leak is up. Looks like there are only 2 minifigures
    SumoLegoKungFuKenny
    edited September 4
    From what I can see I’m happy to stick with my plan to BrickLink the Monarch ISD by onecase.  The pics are blurry but 75252 looks to have lots of studs showing top and bottom... for the money I prefer a more sleek/tiled approach.  Happy for others though who have waited for a new UCS ISD all this time- hopefully most fans will be satisfied.  I can’t make out what that second white minifigure is— I thought a stormtrooper at first but it looks like it is wearing a black cap.  
    I like it 
    Hopefully the ISD is free for Black VIP card holders 😉
    Brikkyy13mustang69
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 219
    The «white» figure is probably actually light gray, so it's a technician or an officer like the one in the last Death Star set.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 780
    I like what I’m seeing, but I’m going to like it even more when I’m not trying to pinch and zoom a blurry pic, based on first impressions. I can wait one extra half day for those soothingly crisp press release shots  ;)
    KungFuKenny
    Maybe we'll get a Captain Needa...
    gmonkey76
    The superstructure looks more in scale than the previous one, and I can't see a join down the middle on the top. Although there is one underneath. It's good looking, but £600 good looking? Hmm... bearing in mind I already have the 2002 one I'm happy o leave this one out.

Mind you, that's what I said about the newer X-Wing, and that didn't turn out to be accurate...
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 618
    I'd imagine the lack of minifigs might be due to it having a nano scale interior, and a slew of nano figs to match? That seems to be a thing Lego does now.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 796
    I have to admit, I'm usually a fan of SNOT techniques, especially on things like UCS sets, but I do think the studs actually look pretty good on the ISD in a way they normally don't on most sets, where they just end up looking unfinished.
    BumblepantsJ0rgenbpk2300FollowsCloselystarwars4everLittleLori
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,398
    edited September 5
    They should just ignore The Last Jedi altogether. Have Luke taking a shower and TLJ was just a dream, like Bobby Ewing. 
    monkeyhangerSMCBrainsluggedSumoLegogmonkey76dougts
    edited September 5
    Have Luke taking a shower and TLJ was just a dream, like Bobby Ewing. 
    You just failed the 'I'm an old-person' test.

-Puts in VHS tape of Falcon Crest-
    560Heliportautolycusgmonkey76datsunrobbie
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 83
    edited September 5
    Now that it’s real, it’s tough to swallow that price.  
    gmonkey76
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 120
    So, ISD is official. It looks pretty amazing. It's ridiculously big. Too big, IMO. I would have preferred something 1/2 or 2/3 the size and <$500.  But hey, I guess a lot of people were clamoring for something big. They got it.
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 127
    edited September 5
    The new star destroyer is absolutely amazing,first set that i really need to have since 2-3 years. The price is difficult to comprehend when compare to the falcon. But when having to chose between falcon and star destroyer i would go with the stardestroyer (i know i am probably an exception with this)
    blakusdk
    Ok, so first impressions when contrasted with the old one - It is about 10% bigger in overall dimensions I think, better proportioned up top, it still has a gap down the middle (but a smaller one), I will assume it has a cleverer way of attaching the plates than magnets, I like the greebling more, and less studs (but not by much), Tantive IV is not noticeably different because of the scale, it has more minifigs, but I'm not sure "Also comes with 2 blaster pistol weapons." makes it worth  six hundred and fifty quid!
    gmonkey76FizyxBaby_YodaMrKettle
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,954
    I'm sorry but IMO, that is not worth £650 quid although it has made it an easy pass.
    560HeliportBoomstickMaffyD
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,868
    My favorite thing is all the comments on the front page who think price per part is a good way to analyze this set. Anyone who has looked at buying 8*16 plates vs. 1x1 plates on Bricks n Pieces knows there is a huge difference in cost. Weight of the bricks to cost is much more telling.

(Measured by weight would still likely say this set is super costly but its UCS Star Wars, of course it is)
    stluxKungFuKennySumoLegoCharmiefcbLyichirFizyxpvp3020Baby_YodaLittleLori
    My favorite thing is all the comments on the front page who think price per part is a good way to analyze this set. Anyone who has looked at buying 8*16 plates vs. 1x1 plates on Bricks n Pieces knows there is a huge difference in cost. Weight of the bricks to cost is much more telling.

(Measured by weight would still likely say this set is super costly but its UCS Star Wars, of course it is)
    It will be interesting to compare "price per gram" or something similar...PPP is not a reasonable gauge of value in a set like this.  I think the set will please most Star Wars fans, but it will be a pass for me.  The design choice of so many studs visible makes it much less appealing to me.

Also, not sure what is going on above the bridge area... maybe based off different reference pics?

Baby_Yoda
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 373
    Is there an X-Wing trapped on top of the bridge? Maybe it's hiding there, sort of what Han did with the Falcon.
    dmcc0Fireheart560Heliportgmonkey76Baby_Yoda

Ahh, seems my pics are from an Imperial II-Class Destroyer
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 148
    Pass.
    It's just too big for me.
    That said if it opened up and was a kind of playset like the Death Star I'd probably buy it.
    It looks great. Just not for me.
    I'll just wait for a smaller ISD playset.

• JaimitoJaimito NYCMember Posts: 20
    Will there be a vip pre order date like the falcon? 
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 502
    ^Available from the 1st of October, with VIP early access starting on the 18th of September.
    Jaimito
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129

Ahh, seems my pics are from an Imperial II-Class Destroyer
    Yeah when you google pics of the devastation; the bridge area matches pretty well 
    KungFuKenny