Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,174
    Not bad, but it looks too bland for me personally. I can handle that with something (somewhat) iconic like an Imperial Star Destroyer, but people are hardly going to see that in store and go, "Look, it's Vader's Castle!" More like, "Look, it's a big black triangle!"
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 194
    Vader's castle is actually one of those few sets that make me think; That is actually a toy. It just has a play thing vibe I very seldom get from LEGO. I bet kids will love it. As it's from outside the main story, it just opens up so many opportunities for imagining your own stories :)
    Bumblepants
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,732
    Kaitch said:
    Speaking of Vader's castle, there's a set of it up on the database. What does anyone think?
    I suppose it fills the void of a Star Wars Lighthouse.  But it's not a set for me.
    Baby_YodaGibbo1959Addicted2Oxygen
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,455
    We watched Solo as a family over the last weekend for the first time (didn't bother with seeing it at the cinema, for a variety of reasons). I really quite liked it, and all my children positively loved it.
    There were a few clunky moments:
    • how he gets his surname was a bit cringy and I could see it coming from a parsec away.
    • the droid rights activist made me roll my eyes a bit, but it was entertaining in the main and my gang liked it.
    • there were some potential plot holes that I couldn't get my head around: why didn't they make the train stop, why did Han never ask Qi'ra how she got out, why did Han volunteer to go to Vos when he could've helped whilst not going anywhere near that yacht, Enfys seems to change a lot from the start to the end...
    • the Kessel Run appears to have been retconned, although it makes it more interesting like I said it needed to be a way back.
    Overall, I think it's a lot lot better than it's BO return suggests, and better than quite a few other SW films (prequels). It's no R1 or ESB, but I'll watch it again - I think it will deliver more enjoyment on subsequent viewings.

Still don't need to own any Lego sets of ships specific to that film though. The TIE Fighter doesn't count.
    FowlerBricksAddicted2Oxygen
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 781
    Another plot hole, or actually no hole where there should have been a big one: When the Cloud Riders drop the container of coaxium, it hits that mountain and blows up a big chunk of it. But earlier, when THE ENTIRE REST OF THE TRAIN falls off the destroyed bridge... nothing?
    MaffyD
    I liked the movie, despite this.
    FowlerBricks77ncaachamps
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    MaffyD said:

Still don't need to own any Lego sets of ships specific to that film though. The TIE Fighter doesn't count.
    I still might get the Falcon when it drops in price. 
    I have no room to display it, its big and I really don't need it ... but I'll probably still get it because its the Falcon. 

Don't know how I feel about Vaders castle mentioned above.  I have no room to display it, its big and I really don't need it ... but I'll probably still get it when the price drops ...

...wait a tick.  I'm noticing a pattern. 

AstrobricksToc13Baby_YodaMegtheCat
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 504
    edited October 2018
    If the Vader's Castle set was more like the Tower of Orthanc set, then this would easily be worthy of a pre-order, several hundred dollar insta-buy! But they went the kiddie route for it instead. Nothing wrong with that, but I find it a bit underhanded how they are trying to drum up artificial hype over an ordinary set just because they have to peddle that VR game, Vader Immortal.

Once the price drops considerably (as in, once that game comes out and is quickly forgotten in the run-up to Episode IX), it would be a good candidate to buy multiples of in order to transform into not just a fun playset, but an impressive display model as well. I can imagine adding all sorts of rooms to fully flesh out the model, such as expanding the Sith Holocron area (probably my favorite section of the set as-is), including a dueling room with droids or Inquisitors for Vader to spar against, a torture chamber for political rivals or captured Jedi, and a larger landing pad for a full-sized TIE Advanced. It would be awesome!
    SumoLegogmonkey76MaffyD
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,284
    A $200+ Vader castle, something that appears in Rogue One for less than 5 minutes, would flop and not be worth producing. You're lucky you're even getting one. 
    SumoLegoCapnRex101Baby_YodaAddicted2OxygenRedbullgivesuwind
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 365
    ^I admit that I haven't seen Rebels, but I'd kinda got the vibe Vader's place appeared in that.
    SumoLego
    But they went the kiddie route for it instead.
    That kinda is the market... but I am a bit baffled by the appeal of a Vader dollhouse.  Presumably Dark Sidey things would be occurring there.  
    gmonkey76
    ^What part don't you get? :)
    ...Just fyi, I dug my old dolls hous out a few months ago to fill with my Star Wars figures and micro machines.
    560HeliportBaby_Yoda
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 504
    CM4S said:
    A $200+ Vader castle, something that appears in Rogue One for less than 5 minutes, would flop and not be worth producing. You're lucky you're even getting one. 
    Was the $200+ Tower of Orthanc, produced ten years after the last LotR film came out, long after the films' initial popularity, a "flop" and not worth producing? Darth Vader's everlasting appeal means LEGO can probably stick him in any old dark side-related thing, canon or not, and it would appeal to Star Wars fans. Especially since it seems Lucasfilm is keen to promote this VR game/experience/pipe dream "Vader Immortal". Rogue One's cameo was just the beginning.
    Addicted2Oxygen
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 652
    Kaitch said:
    ^I admit that I haven't seen Rebels, but I'd kinda got the vibe Vader's place appeared in that.
    I think Dooku used a similar castle in the Clone Wars but I'm not sure whether it was actually the same
  • The_StudThe_Stud IndianaMember Posts: 49
    I think the new Vader's Castle set looks great. Yeah, like everybody else, I wish it was a little cheaper and came with a few more minifigures, but for what it is, I think it's a stellar set. The rooms are nice and the minifigures that are included are great. I especially love the Sith Shrine with the Holocron. 
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    So has anyone ever created a custom Star Wars character?  Either a full blown customization or snapping different pieces together to make someone new?

I did this just recently so I could incorporate "myself" into the action when ever I wanted to.  I didn't do a full blown paint and modification, but snapped together specific pieces to create the new character. 

I bought a couple extra clone troopers on line, broke them down to individual pieces then reassembled a new trooper to be me.  (Well with some Batman parts mixed in too.)

I'm pretty happy with the results.  I'll have to snap a pic tonight. 

Anyone else do that for a Star Wars character?
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 671
    ^Bat-Trooper?  I like the sound of that - would look good next to the rest of my batsuit collection 
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 266
    Outside of making EU characters in the LEGO Star Wars Customizer section of the Video Games... Nope.
    Baby_Yoda
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,588
    I used Lobot's torso, plain black legs, a black hood, a Duros head and a pair of purple lightsabers to make a custom Duros Jedi. He's still built, though in a plastic bag and packed away at this moment.
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 476
    Has anyone here purchased Efferman's UCS Falcon stand? If so, I've got two questions. First, have you noticed any bending or harm caused to the pieces/set? Second, do you believe it's worth the (somewhat) high cost to Bricklink the pieces? Thanks in advance for your responses!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,794
    I don’t get the complaints about Vader’s Castle. For me, even having only seen Rogue One once and having not seen Vader’s castle in any other media, it was immediately recognizable what with its black, towering, pyramidal shape, vertical grooves/ridges, split top in the center, and volcanic setting. Not to mention, a lot of stuff in Star Wars is as iconic as it is BECAUSE of their simple, recognizable shapes. Star Destroyers are big grey triangles, the Death Star is a big grey sphere, Cloud City is a big grey disc, TIE fighters are a sphere flanked by two hexagons… heck, the X-Wings and Y-Wings are literally named for their shapes! By contrast it’s pretty obvious why some of the more weirdly shaped vehicles like the Nebulon B frigates never became anywhere near as iconic.
    LyichirHanzoSumoLego
    Aanchir said:
    ...weirdly shaped vehicles like the Nebulon B frigates...
    Duh, it's shaped like a 'B'.
    Baby_Yoda
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,653
    I think the B-Wing not being iconic has more to do with it's ~4 seconds of screen time than the shape of it.
    gmonkey76SumoLegoBaby_YodaJ0rgen
    Or maybe it's shaped like a nebulon?  I don't know the shape of a nebulon.

I'll wait for Ed Sheeran to write a song about it.
    MaffyD
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 707
    I think the B-Wing not being iconic has more to do with it's ~4 seconds of screen time than the shape of it.
    The fact that you thought the Nebulon B frigate was a B-Wing is the perfect encapsulation of how little known it is.

(It's actually one of the larger Mon-Calamari ships from the Battle of Endor).
    Aanchir
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 266
    Yes, isn't the Nebulon B frigate that design for Home One?
    Is it the Rebel Transport, like in Micro Machines playset, or the one that's more like a Resistance transport on its side?

I am not good at describing ships...
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,031
    Medical ship that Luke is testing out his new hand aboard- end of ESB
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,904
    edited October 2018

A damned fine Lego version of the Nebulon-B.
    @Lyichir
    I'm fairly certain that @Bumblepants is aware of the difference between a B-Wing starfighter and the Nebulon-B frigate and was referring to the comment about the rebellion fighters being named after letters. 
    I agree that to the general population, ships from the Star Wars universe that have minimal screen time are not as well known and probably wouldn't be as well received as sets by the masses, there is however, a considerably large Star Wars fan base that not only know what they are, what they are called and in some cases who was the pilot of said ship and would love the chance to own things like the Neb-B if they were anything like the build above.
    Most of my knowledge of the OT ships comes from Micro Machines, and they don't always use the proper names for things. In case you're wondering, that one is the one I refered to as "the one that's more like a Resistance transport on its side".
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,782
    Has anyone here purchased Efferman's UCS Falcon stand? If so, I've got two questions. First, have you noticed any bending or harm caused to the pieces/set? Second, do you believe it's worth the (somewhat) high cost to Bricklink the pieces? Thanks in advance for your responses!
    I bought all the bits to do it, but focussed on making it as black as possible, with all parts available in black being black - don't like the LBG variant looking like an extension of the ship itself rather than clearly being a stand.

Feels flimsy when built until it slots in to the underpinnings of the MF. Mine has been on the stand for over 6 months with no signs of stress on the parts or sagging.

omnium
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    New LEGO STAR WARS: ALL-STARS tv series announced, with trailer here:

8 shorts and 4 half-hour episodes, starting October 29. Doesn't look like there's really anything new in it, but could be fun. Mix of Solo/Ep VII/Ep VIII/The Freemaker Adventures.
    Fireheartbandit778omniumBaby_YodaSumoLegoThe_StudAddicted2OxygenToc13LEGOFan2
    I'm liking the designs of those new characters
    Rewatching RotJ, and I just noticed something. You know the MF changes from a circular dish to the rectenna? The circular one got broken off inside the Death Star II, which means the rectenna was probably installed right at the beginning of the 30 year jump between RotJ and TFA. I'd always thought it was changed sometime while it was out of Han's hands.
    SumoLegoAanchirVorpalRyu
    Lando says: Han's hands?  That's redundant...
    VorpalRyuBumblepantsPenkid11
    ^I did consider saying "Han's care", but I thought that could be construed as inaccurate...
    SumoLegoBaby_Yoda
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,588
    I just saw a new Rebel Trooper minifig leaked (the rebel troops that appear mainly on the Tantive IV). New Tantive IV soon??
    They were also on the Yavin base, so could be that? Maybe they're gonna do teh medal ceremony, which is a few steps up to a stage, and a LOT of minifigures.
    Baby_Yoda560Heliport
    stlux said:
    New LEGO STAR WARS: ALL-STARS tv series announced, with trailer here:

8 shorts and 4 half-hour episodes, starting October 29. Doesn't look like there's really anything new in it, but could be fun. Mix of Solo/Ep VII/Ep VIII/The Freemaker Adventures.
    Are the characters either side of Graballa & R0-GR new ones?
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 652
    ^ the character on the right looks an awful lot like Pao from Rogue One
    Toc13
    Kaitch said:
    They were also on the Yavin base, so could be that? Maybe they're gonna do teh medal ceremony, which is a few steps up to a stage, and a LOT of minifigures.
    UCS Rebel Trooper Battle Pack
    starwars4ever
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,231
    There's rumours going around about a SW Juniors set with Princess Leia, which looks it's the same as the minifig from #75159 (the leaks show a different head print though), could be that it also comes with a Rebel Navy Trooper.
    xiahna
    There is no Juniors Death Star Escape, if that's what you are referring to.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,231
    Juniors Death Star Escape wouldn't have Rebel Navy Troopers, it was Han, Chewie & Luke that rescued Leia, not the Rebel Alliance... Or is that you way of saying the rumours about a SW Juniors set are false?
    BrickByBrickxiahna
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 305
    edited October 2018
    Just noticed that the snowspeeder is marked for retirement on the U.K. [email protected]
    VorpalRyu said:
    Juniors Death Star Escape wouldn't have Rebel Navy Troopers, it was Han, Chewie & Luke that rescued Leia, not the Rebel Alliance... Or is that you way of saying the rumours about a SW Juniors set are false?
    I believe @CM4S was referring to your mention of "a SW Juniors set with Princess Leia"
    But is there a 4+ SW set with Princess Leia? :-)
    What I'm saying is the set people are referring to as a JUNIORS Death Star Escape is this year's version of Yoda's Hut / Ahch-To / Duel on Naboo - a 'Great Playset' and not a Juniors / 4+ set.
    BrickByBrickAanchirThe_Stud