Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    A vibrant secondary market boosts the kudos of the brand. Period.

Where Lego probably are not happy is where the retailer discounts are so deep, that people then sell close to or even under rrp on eBay. That's a problem.
    Yodalicious
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^^ Resellers are providing access to product that may no longer be available and thus creating more conversation/excitement/etc. for LEGO. That helps the brand. Brand awareness can be increased whether the feelings toward a brand are positive or negative. 

Back to my Camaro example. The desire for older models also fuels the excitement for newer ones. I bought a '71 Chevelle from a "reseller" of sorts and am very interested in a new Camaro, which I will buy directly from a Chevy dealer. My purchase of the older one, led to my desire for the newer one. 

Side note: I'm not a reseller and have no feelings positive or negative toward the practice.

Side side note: I'll let this get back to Star Wars chatter. 
    TyresOFlaherty
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 875
    josekalel said:
    I would also argue pleasantly (since things get misunderstood when they're typed and then read). In most cases (most, not all) I think resellers do not the brand. I also do not think resellers give a positive view regarding brand awareness, since they might get the wrong idea of the product; for example, people thinking buying LEGO sets are making a good investment (even though it's more complex than this).

I also do not think that someone selling Grand Emporium for $350 (when it was originally $149.99) actually helps with brand loyalty; I believe most people who want a set like that will go for the alternate route, regardless of the legality of it, or if it's the 'right' thing to do. 

The market that deals with things that are not on the shelf is on-demand, and it works. It has worked for WB for example (DVDs), and to some degree with Amazon (CDs).

Even then, like I mentioned and you also implied, this on-demand service is for a niche segment of the overall market, but a segment with enough disposable income to make it worth.

So, being realistic and selfish, would I rather buy Grand Emporium (yes, I am obsessed with it, especially after I noticed it appears in the PS3 LEGO Marvel game) off eBay for $300 (while doubting whether it's original or not), or buy it from LEGO with a 10-15% markup? 

By the way, by no means am I anti-reseller or anything like that, I'm just being a cheap consumer. 
    If I'm interpreting your post correctly, are you suggesting Lego should go into the business of producing retired sets on demand?

I've seen that suggestion a lot but it's hardly practical. Lego sets are not like DVDs or CDs—they're incredibly complex assortments of hundreds of individual, intricate parts. Lego's production infrastructure relies on being able to produce sets in high quantities, with each part being molded in bulk in separate molding machines. And they are pretty much always working at capacity, with any time spent offline (for instance, to switch the molds in a machine) being wasted resources. The amount it would cost to produce a small run of one or ten or even a hundred sets (especially large, complex sets like Modular Buildings, which are what I see the largest demand for in general) makes producing sets "on demand" a huge waste of money compared to continuing to use as much of the production line as possible on the current, mass market sets that make up the bulk of Lego's profits. A 10-15% markup wouldn't even come close to making up for the lost profits. It gets even worse if you add in the cost of new steel molds for retired parts (a necessary investment if there's any intention of reissuing sets from more than a few years ago).

This is one reason why bootleggers like Lepin can afford to do things that Lego themselves can't. Their entire operation is based on copying Lego's hard work, and since they have no original products they need to devote resources to they can instead focus their efforts on the rarest and most sought-after sets from Lego's back catalog. But a business model like that would be a huge downgrade for Lego, since it would require a much larger investment on top of their current cost of business just to satisfy a much smaller market of mega-fans.
    monkeyhanger
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,242
    richo said:
    Where Lego probably are not happy is where the retailer discounts are so deep, that people then sell close to or even under rrp on eBay. That's a problem.
    Lego already made their profit/margin on their wholesale price.  Only the retailer is taking the 'loss' or, lower profit by discounting the item.

The Lego Retail Stores are incredibly efficiently run, and do not keep older product in stock as long as [email protected] or like the zombie sets at TRU.  

(As an example, they are bursting with new Disney Princess and Super Hero Girls, but had virtually no Elves, and none of the Friends sets from the first half of 2016.)
    gmonkey7677ncaachampsstlux
    I'm looking forward to the Q-Wing.  So there!
    VorpalRyumatticus_bricks
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,798

I hear there might be another UCS Millennium Falcon released this year...

CM4SJohnyk668
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 821

MaffyD said:

Another? There's already one rumoured for this year. Surely there won't be *two*? :-)
    Jackad7gmonkey76MaffyDMynatt
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    omnium said:

MaffyD said:

Another? There's already one rumoured for this year. Surely there won't be *two*? :-)
    OT and ST obviously
    Jackad7
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,524
    SumoLego said:
    I'm looking forward to the Q-Wing.  So there!
    Does it have a big ball of fluff at each end?
    gmonkey76YodaliciousSumoLegoSprinkleOtterVorpalRyuricecake
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 535
    CaptAPJT said:
    omnium said:

MaffyD said:

OT and ST obviously

What about the prequel one that appears in ROTS?
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,599
    Jackad7 said:
    CaptAPJT said:
    omnium said:

MaffyD said:

OT and ST obviously

It will be a three in one set to cover all movies, and to get some people to buy three copies.
    Jackad7VorpalRyu
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Just like the BTTF Delorean. 
    gmonkey76SumoLegoVorpalRyu
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    Jackad7 said:
    CaptAPJT said:
    omnium said:

MaffyD said:

OT and ST obviously

That could be any YT-1300
    ^ Just like the BTTF Delorean. 
    Yay - three ugly Deloreans!
  • LikeABosskLikeABossk USMember Posts: 7
    I just started this hobby around Christmas due to all the sales and now I'm in deep. I'm really only into the Star Wars sets at this time and have purchased more kits than I can assemble at the moment (recently finished The Ghost, AT-ST, FO Tie, & Tie Advanced). 

There are still a few current and past sets I have my eye on but haven't bit the bullet on yet (New Death Star, UCS Hoth Assualt, Rebel Combat Frigate, maybe a couple more).

Finally to my question...Do exclusives like the Rebel Combat Frigate #75158 (S&H & TRU) go on sale very often or will I have to bite the bullet at full price? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Addicted2Oxygen
  • dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 448
    I just started this hobby around Christmas due to all the sales and now I'm in deep. I'm really only into the Star Wars sets at this time and have purchased more kits than I can assemble at the moment (recently finished The Ghost, AT-ST, FO Tie, & Tie Advanced). 

There are still a few current and past sets I have my eye on but haven't bit the bullet on yet (New Death Star, UCS Hoth Assualt, Rebel Combat Frigate, maybe a couple more).

Finally to my question...Do exclusives like the Rebel Combat Frigate #75158 (S&H & TRU) go on sale very often or will I have to bite the bullet at full price? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Yes, it could potentially go on sale. Typically [email protected] will discount at the end of the products life cycle if they still have a surplus. TRU will discount from time to time. From what I've seen it will be reduced to original RRP. If you shop at TRU often, get the rewards card and use the points to accumulate $$ off. If you are on the fence, don't wait too long. These guys can disappear quick.

Also, welcome to the forums and beware of your wallet. :)
    LikeABossk
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,489
    edited February 2017
    I considered passing on the sith infiltrator, since it seemed a bit overpriced and exclusive, so unlikely to be found on sale, but it was recently 50% off on [email protected] in other cases, like the antman set if I remember well, you better be quick if you don't want to pay a premium to resellers.
    LikeABossk
    dspigel said:
    Yes, it could potentially go on sale. Typically [email protected] will discount at the end of the products life cycle if they still have a surplus. TRU will discount from time to time. From what I've seen it will be reduced to original RRP. If you shop at TRU often, get the rewards card and use the points to accumulate $$ off. If you are on the fence, don't wait too long. These guys can disappear quick.

Also, welcome to the forums and beware of your wallet. :)
    Fauch said:
    I considered passing on the sith infiltrator, since it seemed a bit overpriced and exclusive, so unlikely to be found on sale, but it was recently 50% off on [email protected] in other cases, like the antman set if I remember well, you better be quick if you don't want to pay a premium to resellers.
    Thanks to both of you for the quick advice and the welcome. And yes, my wallet has taken quite a hit these days. Once I get into a hobby, I get into it quick.

I think I'm going to grab the frigate today and get the batman minifigs. It will make paying full price a little easier to take.

Thanks again!
    dspigel
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,489
    that's just my opinion, but I'm not fond of the look of the frigate, and for the price point I'm afraid it's a bit small, so maybe that won't sell quick. but then, maybe it features in a super awesome episode and there is a horde of rabid fans ready for anything to get one. or maybe it features a highly desirable character?
    Jackad7LikeABossk
    Fauch said:
    that's just my opinion, but I'm not fond of the look of the frigate, and for the price point I'm afraid it's a bit small, so maybe that won't sell quick. but then, maybe it features in a super awesome episode and there is a horde of rabid fans ready for anything to get one. or maybe it features a highly desirable character?
    I hear you. I think the price is too high. I do like the look of the set though and getting both the Sato and Ahsoka minifigs helps justify the purchase for me a bit.
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 592
    StarWars episode: Ooh you precious little snowflakes.

General Veers: Screw you rebel scum!
    Piewdeepiew!  Wooooosh   Clackadeeclickclack   boom boing!
    Dak Ralter: Ooooh my gawd, they killed our speeder!
    Luke Skywalker: You bastards!
    Snowtroopers (in chorus): Moehahahahahaha!!!
    Still a better love story than assault on hoth.
    TheBigLegoski
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    @Mynatt    
    Uuuuuhm, you mean 'Insult on Hoth'!?!
    (whoever coined that little quip, did something brilliant)
    Though in spite of everything, in all honesty I still would love to own that set. I am just not prepared to pay what TLG asks for it, and lets not even mention that label that keeps riling some collectors up here.
    Jackad7Mynattomnium
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 611
    Would the Star Wars UCS next release be announced at the NY toy fair this weekend?
  • Waterjedi17Waterjedi17 Member Posts: 54
    edited February 2017
    US [email protected] has updated the prices for the remaining SW sets (coming soon this Friday)
    Battle on Scarif $50
    A-Wing $40
    Phantom, Desert Skiff $30
    Yoda's Starfighter, Duel on Naboo $25
    Luke's Landspeeder $20
    It looks like battlepacks are now $15 instead of $13
    Microfighters are $10 as usual
    Buildable figures $25
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,363
    $50 for Scarif, wooooo
    BumblepantsClutchPower
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 341
    Gotta get me that Lando. I mean, A-Wing.
    gmonkey76starwars4ever
  • dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 448
    US [email protected] has updated the prices for the remaining SW sets (coming soon this Friday)
    Battle on Scarif $50
    A-Wing $40
    Phantom, Desert Skiff $30
    Yoda's Starfighter, Duel on Naboo $25
    Luke's Landspeeder $20
    It looks like battlepacks are now $15 instead of $13
    Microfighters are $10 as usual
    Buildable figures $25
    This Friday? So I have to explain to my wife why I continue to get [email protected] boxes.
    Addicted2Oxygenjediami65MegtheCatgmonkey76
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 499
    Delta customs posted a photo of the UCS snowspeeder on his instagram... finally!
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,363
    That came from Eurobricks and Facebook, so check Reddit :)
    @bluedragon  
    Thanks! I just had a look. Just from that pic, though the speeder looks a bit elongated, too long and not wide enough, compared to the actual SW film model, other than that I think it is very well designed. It is a craft with a lot of tricky angles. They captured that all very well. It looks like a proper UCS set (for all those who attach great value to that label). Only question is, is this an iconic vehicle you want to have a model of in this scale?
    Looking forward to TLG posting a video on their site of this set, with the designer showing off and telling a bit more about it.
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    Struggling to find the photo, if anyone wants to PM me a link I'd appreciate it! 
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    Saw it now, many thanks! 
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    It looks great to me! Looking forward to hearing about the piececount...
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,940
    Glad to see this is finally confirmed as existing - will that spoil the hopes of a new UCS MF this year?
  • DEAD1974DEAD1974 Dark Side Member Posts: 23
    So this is the so badly awaited new UCS set.... Snowspeeder... I am really not into the UCS sets, but if I will be a hard core UCS collector, than this one will really disappoint me
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315

@thebiglegoski

It's from an iconic movie scene in an iconic movie, but I don't know if the ship itself is very iconic.

• LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 983

That looks very nice, indeed :-)

First day purchase for me - at last a SW set worthy of the UCS logo!

• kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 829
    That looks ace, I look forward to adding it to my collection. Let's hope the next UCS sets are just as good :-D
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 668
    The color is wrong... again.
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    I think the new UCS Snowspeeder looks very accurate to the screen version. Would be good to see the stand and plaque though.

Any idea on a release date (May 4th?) or UK price?
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 983
    I think the new UCS Snowspeeder looks very accurate to the screen version. Would be good to see the stand and plaque though.

Any idea on a release date (May 4th?) or UK price?

I've seen a figure of €200 quoted by a reliable EB member; which would place it at £179.99 for the UK.  It seems quite reasonable at that price point, especially compared with Insult on Hoth....!

catwrangler
  • TikiLukiTikiLuki ChicagoMember Posts: 64
    monkyby87 said:

@thebiglegoski

It's from an iconic movie scene in an iconic movie, but I don't know if the ship itself is very iconic.

Personally disagree. I love the angles of it. The little flappy bits that they animated during flight. The forward / backward pilot / gunner seating. And they're not just from the AT-AT battle...the initial scene where we see them looking for Luke & Han, flying POV over the snow-covered rocky hills and mountains, while playing music stolen from the end of the movie (the soundtrack doesn't play that music until the end of the film, unlike the film itself) was also a great scene. 
    @TikiLuki  
    I am confused. Not sure if we disagree on anything. I wrote: "I think it is very well designed. It is a craft with a lot of tricky angles. They captured that all very well. It looks like a proper UCS set".
    But I also wrote: " Just from that pic, though the speeder looks a bit elongated, too long and not wide enough, compared to the actual SW film model", because I don't know if its dimensions of the wedge shaped vehicle are (way) off, but that is what it seemed like a little bit judging by that picture I saw, which is a photo of the box held at an slanted angle and/or camera lense that may distort the dimensions of the box-art, elongating it.
    Beyond that, I agree with you; the mechanical braking flaps look great.

@monkyby87   
    You are right the T-14 Incom airspeeder is from an iconic film, featuring among other scenes, the iconic AT-AT surface attack of the hidden base on Hoth. I probably could have phrased it a little better (in case it was not clear), as what I meant is whether the snowspeeder is a vehicle iconic enough to merit purchasing a set this big and expensive of it? It is beyond the building experience, a display piece, and I am not sure I will buy this model, as I am not sure am fond enough of this SW vehicle to want to have such a huge model of it taking up lots of display space. The only UCS SW sets I have are the Slave I, and the Sand Crawler, and the Ewok Village, and all three are (more or less) minifig scale and based/centred sets, contrary to this new USC set. For me the choice is easy when I need to decide between the new Death Star set or this snowspeeder; keep on saving and get the Death Star set. Does not mean though that it won't be fun building this snowspeeder.
    Uhh, it appears we are getting an aayla secura with the republic tank. Fingers crossed it's movie based and not clone wars!
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 875
    Jackad7 said:
    Uhh, it appears we are getting an aayla secura with the republic tank. Fingers crossed it's movie based and not clone wars!
    They aren't doing differently-styled figs for cartoon-based Star Wars sets anymore anyway. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    @TikiLuki   @monkyby87   
    Sorry about all the typos etc.
    'though' instead of 'thought' .... 'attack of' instead of 'attack on' etc. as well as some lousy punctuation.
    -------
    @Jackad7   
    This tank never was in any of the prequel trilogy films was it?!? Or did I miss something?
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TX-130_Saber-class_fighter_tank
    Or are you talking about some other tank?
    -------
    @Lyichir   
    Luckily TLG stopped doing those hideous CW cartoon face prints a couple of years ago.

edited February 2017
    @thebiglegoski It didn't appear in the prequels and I don't think it was in clone wars animated series. Honestly The only place I've seen was the battlefront games, which are not Canon. For all I know the tank itself isn't canon. I just want to get an aayla secure with facial features that don't deal over exaggerated (not that the other one is that bad). The tank itself looks really small compared to their original, however it is going to be $30 which is the most reasonable price I have seen in a long time. Especially if it comes with aayla secura. This is probably one of the few sets I'll be buying as soon as it comes, the tank is good for its price and it will have phase 2 clone gunner. Secure would just be an extra plusmplus.