Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Requesting information regarding 2 "top vs top fit together" 1x1 round bricks

brickgittbrickgitt DenmarkMember Posts: 25

Hi

I have just bought a Lego-lot from a person whose father, in a 30 year period (1960-1990), worked at Lego here in Denmark. I got 3 possible error-pieces (that I request info about in my other "discussion") and then I also got these two 1x1 round bricks that fits together in a pretty special way (see pictures) - I have never have seen these or other bricks like these before. I hope someone can inform me about these "by me, never seen before" bricks.

Thanks for reading !!

Sincerely,

Mikael Gitt

# brickgitt #

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,454
    Nice. Looks like an early prototype for reversing builds by 180°. It doesn't look very strong though.

• LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 502
    These are the bases of flag poles were the poles have broken off.  The one is just a lot more broken than the other which lets them fit together oddly.  They're not prototypes or some rare exotic piece, just broken.
    dougtsjason1976kiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,454
    That's a shame!

Has one been drilled out then? As how else would it snap off underneath the surface. Maybe they were broken specifically for that purpose.
  • brickgittbrickgitt DenmarkMember Posts: 25

Hi again

I'm pretty busy these days, but will explore it further when I have time for it, unless a "guaranteed" reply appears within I have some time to look at it again, but here is some "quick" information that maybe is usefull. I'm no expert, so I have just checked all my flags - I was pretty sure that all flagpoles (the flagpole itself) have two thin lines from the mold, but one of my flags look different - the lower part (approx 2.6 mm/0.1 inch) of the flagpole itself, have 6 flat sides that seems to be equal in size - the lower part of my "maybe broken flagpole" measures approx 2.0 mm/0.078 inch and have a mix of flat and round sides + at least one thick line that for sure not is a "mold-result". The thick line is the one at the right side on this picture:

The brick with the hole....drilled or not, I don't know but have tried to take a clear close-up picture, to show how it looks:

No matter how it's made, then I will say that it is precision work, since the two pieces snap really well together, as it would do, if it is a real Lego product....

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,130
    @brickgitt  .... this looks like TLG employees testing out some different parts just for experimentation.  TLG produced a lot of prototype items... not all of which looked perfect, since prototypes were not meant for release.  That does look like a tapered base flag pole with most of the pole broken off.... but with some kind of heat applied... because regular broken poles have very rough tops.  The other one looks like another one of these flag poles, but with the top cut completely off, and some kind of drilling or heat used to make for a near perfect hole.

This reminds me a little bit of the later (Model Shop only) 1x1 round bricks that TLG removed the hollow stud tops from, for some model uses (but these parts were never found in any LEGO set)....

Also, here are some prototype parts that TLG produced in the mid 1950s, when the 1x1 round and square bricks came out.... bricks without studs on top.  Also never released to the public in any LEGO set....

Images from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide chapter on Prototype LEGO Sets/Parts.

• brickgittbrickgitt DenmarkMember Posts: 25

@ISTokg Wow, I like the bricks without the stud on top !!

The two mysterious 1X1 round bricks - it would probably have been possible for a private person to make 'em, but it would not have been easy, because it is really precision work, so I think they are "factory test bricks", because of the fact that the father worked at Lego and because the fit really well and snap together as Lego is supposed to do....