Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any New Yorkers in the house?

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,546
Mark Guest, editor of Bricks will be in NY NY next week and would like to hook up with AFOLs there if possible, perhaps to feature them in the magazine.

If you'd like to meet up with him PM me and I'll pass on your details.
SumoLego

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,400
    (Sorry - I'm in Upstate New York - but good luck!)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    ^No joke, there are many people that think NYC is NY and that's it.
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    ^ Yeah, and I hate that. 
    Pitfall69
    I don't think that was the implication here, but I run into it all the time.

Usually it starts with - 'What's Upstate New York, and how far away is it from the Statue of Liberty?'

I tell them Upstate is closer to Canada and Ohio.  We don't have subways, ferries or boroughs...
    Pitfall69kiki180703MrJ_NYnychromastone
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    Well, I have totally derailed another thread yet again. It is a sickness and I apologize.

One last comment...I was born in Albany, NY...ya know...the Capital??? "Where's that? Oh...you mean (Al-bany) as in Al Bundy." No, I mean Albany as in All in the Family" :) 

New York City is only 469 sq miles; the rest of the state makes up 54,086 sq miles.
    kiki180703nychromastone
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    edited September 2015
    Mine is , I'm from NY. Oh the city? I'm like you do realize that there is more to NY than just NYC. I'm from central NY..a small town called Trumansburg...no? It's near ..Ithaca...no?..Finger Lakes region..no?...1 1/2 south of Syracuse.....oh ok...you got it now.  Jeeze people.
    kiki180703Pitfall69nychromastone
    ^ So, does that mean you can see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building or the Tapanzee Bridge?

Otherwise, you must live in Connecticut, New Jersey or Idaho.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,215
    You should have called it New York, New Yorkshire.

No confusion then. 

That's coming from someone in York, Old York, York 1.0, the original.
    bobabricksSumoLegokiki180703MatthewPitfall69nychromastone
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,546
    I was in upstate NY last year so there's no confusion here :) Corning and Watkins Glen area. The Finger Lakes were delightful.
    SumoLegoPitfall69nychromastone
    ^ The Corning Museum of Glass is definitely worth the trip.  I was there just last week.

I hope you can find some interviewees for the story!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,546
    edited September 2015
    That's why we were in the area. Made a special trip from Toronto via Niagara.
    Pitfall69
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    NYC is on the other side of the state for me as well...you know,where the sports teams that never win a thing are from area
    kiki180703SumoLegoPitfall69nychromastone
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Corning is a great company, basically employing a whole town the way TLG does in Billund. Most folks don't know they invented fiber optics, Pyrex glass, the gorilla glass screens for iPhones. I had the pleasure of working with them to develop a line of products for Stem Cell research, it was a great experience. 
    SumoLegonychromastone
  • libelulexlibelulex New York, USAMember Posts: 15
    I was raised in Long Island and it is always fun telling people that no, it is not RHODE Island nor are the Hamptons all of LI. Since I've lived various times out of state, I do get the NYC is all of NY logic as well. They are always surprised I do not have an accent, I thank them for that compliment. :)

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    Too bad he's not coming a bit upstate- I'd love to meet him. Ah, well.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    To be fair, the Tappan Zee Bridge isn't in NYC.  You must have meant the George Washington Bridge.  ;). 

I grew up in northern Westchester County (Yorktown Heights).  Best of both worlds..,close enough to enjoy all that the city has to offer, far enough out to enjoy the beauty that is the Hudson Valley.  
    edited September 2015
    ^ NYC extends to Westchester, you didn't know?  Once you get to Westchester, that's basically Canada or Ohio.

It also goes out to the Hamptons, except for the part in Connecticut and Boston.

(We are talking about folks who have no concept of anything New York other than Manhattan.  I once had such a conversation where the other person had no clue that New Jersey was literally across the river, but thought you could see Boston and Philadelphia from the top of the Empire State Building.  I had my eyes opened to East Coast geography...)
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,308
    /shameless thread hijack

Mrs Boo & I have a week in New York fairly soon - we went out for her birthday last year, and surprisingly enough, you can't do the whole of New York in a week!
    We've got a few things planned that we haven't done of previous visits, i.e. we're finally visiting the Statue of Liberty, and the One World Centre that wasn't open when we were there last year.

But we quite fancy a trip out of Manhattan / central New York (we're staying on West 28th & 6th).  I want to go to the Isamu Noguchi sculpture museum, which is 33rd Road, Long Island City.
    I'm not familiar with that area, so just wondered what else there was in that neck of the woods that would be worth a visit.

And lastly (for now), we're both train junkies, and love Grand Central Terminal.  If we fancied a day trip out, getting a train from Grand Central, any suggestions for a destination, maybe an hour out on the train?

Cheers!