Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Question about Polycarbonate

suukorak12suukorak12 United StatesMember Posts: 1
So I was looking around Eurobricks and other websites and a few people have had their Iron Man minifigs legs crack due to the trans blue cylinders connected to them. Transparent pieces are made of polycarbonate, which is a less flexible material then ABS. Has anyone had any damage to parts due to transparent pieces such as cracks or a looser connection?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,242
    Yes, minifig legs attached to polycarb, just as you describe for Iron Man. If you display such minifigs, don't attached the polycarb pieces.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    Yes.... have seen a lot of very minor cracks around the base of trans-clear 1x1 round bricks over the last 40 years (I've been collecting for 55 years).
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 579
    So since the Super Jumper is also a polycarbonate, does this mean that its even doing damage when its not in use?

I currently have a few Age of Ultron sets on display with a figure on the Super Jumper, however I don't use the feature. Am I at risk at damaging the figure?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,242
    ^ If you have the figure attached to the jumper, then there is probably a risk of damage.
    Mynatt
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,303
    Personally I don't get the point of the super-jumpers, then again I'm not particularly fond of the flick-fire missiles or stud launchers either... What's wrong with using your imagination & pretending their guns can shoot?
    TheBigLegoskixiahna
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,363
    the super jumpers seem flawed, or at least the one I have. I tried attaching bricks and plates on it and it was impossible, as if the studs were too large, so I'm not surprised it cracks legs.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,262
    @Fauch - probably because they aren't designed for building onto - I have found that 1x1 round plates attache to them and can make them slightly buildable - the biggest issue with any other parts is to do with the small protrusion in the middle which fits between a mini figures feet. I suspect LEGO put that there deliberately to try to reduce the likelihood of kids building things onto them, flicking it and potentially causing injury - in the same way the Ninjago Air-jutsu flyer pieces are not easy to attach to other bricks (from what I've heard not impossible though) to stop kids trying to launch big blocks into the air.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,399
    edited September 2015
    I have this problem too with two out of the three of my Iron Man minifigure's legs cracking due to the polycarbonate trans blue cylinders.
    I have 3 Iron Man sets:
    #6869 Quinjet Aerial Battle (2012)
    #30167 Iron Man vs. Fighting Drone (2013) (polybag)
    #76007 Iron Man Malibu Mansion Attack (2013)
    The first minifig's legs from the Quinjet set definitely cracked at the weakest spot of the legs at the back, consequently also reducing the clutch power; the one from the polybag is still pristine with top-notch clutch-power; and sadly my most beautiful Malibu Mansion Iron Man minifig also has the slightest fissures at the back of his legs due to me being ignorant about this problem for a very long time, and hence has also somewhat reduced clutch-power.

In all fairness I must note that both stiffness as well as clutch power varies tremendously between various new out of the bag/box minifig parts especially legs. I also have quite a bunch of undamaged (new or as good as new; how do you define new?! none of them are second hand and never played with only put on display!) minifig leg parts with less clutch-power then that of these cracked Iron Man leg parts. I have noticed this many times when lining up groups of minifigs on baseplates or when attaching them to other bricks and plates.

I really hate that this has happened as these Marvel minifigures are, other than that, still as good as new and look immaculate as if I opened up the sets just NOW to take them out only to put on display. So unfortunately they are now no longer posed on top of the trans blue cylinders as I think they ought to be displayed.

I hope TLG is able to do something, and improve the strength, flexibility and plasticity of the various bricks and solve this problem in order to prevent this from happening to minifig parts and other bricks in the future.

Still wondering if I should contact TLG and write a complaint about this issue given the fact that I bought and opened those sets three and two years ago. I can't help but feel that this is sub-par to the quality of Lego bricks I should and can expect of this high-tech high-profile company and their quality standards.

Am I too demanding and a total quality fetishist for holding this view or not?! What do you people think?!
    VorpalRyu
  • suukorak12suukorak12 United StatesMember Posts: 1
    I too am rather OCD about keeping my bricks in top condition. Are there any parts besides minifigs that you have seen damaged?
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,303
    edited September 2015
    ^ Considering the prices for Lego these days, they charge a premium for the product, so it should be premium quality. I haven't, as yet had any parts crack or wear out like so many on Brickset have mentioned (cheese slopes, minifigure legs, etc, etc), but if I do, I will be giving TLG grief, via phone, email & social media... When I spend my money, I expect to get value for my money (else I'd just buy M#%! Blocks), so no, I don't think you're being too demanding.
    xiahna
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    ^Don't ask for too many replacements. They either lock your account or tell you they can't help anymore. That's what happened to me. I contacted with multiple breaks in pieces out of the box or after a very short time. I got a few replaced, but none since then. I just quit asking.