Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Holiday promotion dates no longer lining up?

mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 443
Hi All, sorry if this has been brought up already, I didnt see another thread.

Anyway, I just picked up Changing Seasons and Trick or Treat sets and I got one of the store calendars. Something I noticed is that the first of the "free with purchase" holiday sets is available from Oct 13th to Nov 13th but the double VIP point event is only good from Oct 1st to the 4th. Meaning you cant do both.  The last two years I waited until Oct 1st to do my orders specifically so that I could get the holiday exclusive set and the double points but it looks like we will have to choose one or the other. Personally I'll be getting the holiday set since that is more important for me.

Has this always been the case or am I just mis-remembering?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    You aren't misremembering. In the past you could usually double up the promo with double points.  It appears not to be the case this year 

madforLEGO
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 579
    It is all about how much money Lego can pull from your wallet. They do not care if they don't match up. If you pay for one or the other, they don't mind, and if you pay for both, Lego still wins. 

Now you may come back and say that with these split promotions it lowers in customer satisfaction... But does it really lower that much? Nope because usually the building of the set makes up for it. At least for me.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,216
    Also the number of people buying at one or other of the promotions makes up for it. They really don't need to do double promotions to make sales.

Whether they need to do any promotions at all is probably more important in the future.  Although they seem to sell large amounts of stock at special times (such as May 4th, or winter promos or 2x VIP) I wonder how much of that would remain if they removed the promo completely.

• LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 787
    CCC said:
    Also the number of people buying at one or other of the promotions makes up for it. They really don't need to do double promotions to make sales.

Whether they need to do any promotions at all is probably more important in the future.  Although they seem to sell large amounts of stock at special times (such as May 4th, or winter promos or 2x VIP) I wonder how much of that would remain if they removed the promo completely.

I imagine that removing those sorts of promotions entirely might have a small impact on the number of Lego sets sold, but could have a much larger impact on the number of sets sold directly through Lego. Part of the reason for those sorts of promotions is to provide an incentive for buyers to buy direct from Lego instead of through other retailers, but without undercutting those retailers' prices and thus jeopardizing that partnership. Note that Lego almost never offers sales on current products through their website or Lego Brand Retail—all they can do is offer bonus VIP points for future discounts, or freebie sets for people who spend over a certain amount or buy specific products.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,216
    Yes, I know. And the interesting thing you can see with the stock checker is which sets sell well during the promo time. For the May 4th promo, exclusives sold well. That is, ones that are not available elsewhere. Would those purchases have been made anyway though [email protected], just spread out through the year? And promos such as 2x VIP on non-exclusive sets via [email protected] that are available elsewhere is not really that good a deal (at least in the UK, where we can nearly always get at least 33% off a non-exclusive set). 2x VIP on an exclusive is better than nothing, but if they took that discount away I reckon many of the exclusives sold during the promo period will still be purchased without the extra discount / points.
    Mynatt said:

Now you may come back and say that with these split promotions it lowers in customer satisfaction... But does it really lower that much? Nope because usually the building of the set makes up for it. At least for me.
    I think it lowers satisfaction among us hardcore AFOLs who purchase thousands and thousands of (dollars/pounds/Euro/etc) LEGO per year and are always looking to get the most for our LEGO dollars.  Plus, we all know the deals used to be better, the promos used to line up, etc, so we know what we are missing.  The average consumer doesn't pay as close of attention and is significantly less likely to know that anything has even changed and that the deals used to be more generous.

As LEGO repeatedly says and shows by their ever-stingier policies, they really don't care that much about what us AFOLs think about the diminishing value proposition. They are betting we will continue to buy anyway, or they don't care much if we scale back.  And for the most part they are right.  They certainly don't owe us anything and their bottom line certainly appears not to be impacted negatively (probably the opposite) by their stinginess over the last few years, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
    madforLEGOBrickDancercrazycarlkiki180703Sethro3ninababina
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,509
    ^-Yeah, it is what it is. I'm not sure if they really lose anything. I would love to thump my chest and say well there losing my hundreds of dollars, but apparently it does not really wiggle the needle in terms of their sales I guess.

It is just a real shame that many of these good promos go away for whatever reason. For example, I liked being able to get PaB boxes for my purchases. I used them too, to great effect as well (easier IMO to stack brick in a square box than round cup). Yeah I bought a lot from LEGO stores to get them, but how was that really abusing the system when you have to spend over 75 USD to get what is essentially a 15 USD 'cup' for PaB? (I know that there were more than cost reasons that were associated with those though).

Oh well, I think I am just 'complained out' at this point about how LEGO seems to be letting the bean counters, and not designers, run the show lately.

ninababina
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 787
    ^-Yeah, it is what it is. I'm not sure if they really lose anything. I would love to thump my chest and say well there losing my hundreds of dollars, but apparently it does not really wiggle the needle in terms of their sales I guess.

It is just a real shame that many of these good promos go away for whatever reason. For example, I liked being able to get PaB boxes for my purchases. I used them too, to great effect as well (easier IMO to stack brick in a square box than round cup). Yeah I bought a lot from LEGO stores to get them, but how was that really abusing the system when you have to spend over 75 USD to get what is essentially a 15 USD 'cup' for PaB? (I know that there were more than cost reasons that were associated with those though).

Oh well, I think I am just 'complained out' at this point about how LEGO seems to be letting the bean counters, and not designers, run the show lately.

I'm curious as to why you think the designers EVER "ran the show" as far as sales and promotions were concerned. The designers' job is to design product, and that's it—once they have done so it is up to advertising and sales staff to get that product into the hands of consumers however they see fit.

I doubt the designers had any input into PaB, either. That, too, has always been up to the discretion of Lego Brand Retail global management.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 325
    It is just a real shame that many of these good promos go away for whatever reason. For example, I liked being able to get PaB boxes for my purchases. I used them too, to great effect as well (easier IMO to stack brick in a square box than round cup).

I enjoyed the PAB boxes too, but the recent offerings (within the past year) on my local PAB wall are awful. 

I can't complain too much as free brick is free brick, but most of what is currently available would go into the "I'll probably never use that" bucket.

gmonkey76
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,521
    I buy 90% of my LEGO sets from LEGO when they have double points. The other 10% is when the have a promotion I want ( May the 4th, free poly at $75/99) With only four days for double points I cant buy all the sets I normally do. My math may be off, but if double points are only 10% off of $100, and I can get 20% off at Amazon year round guess who gets my LEGO money. Yes LEGO still gets money but not the full 100% from me.
  • L67L67 New Hampshire USAMember Posts: 6
    I was shopping at a LEGO store today and the clerk mentioned that the October double points has been extended. I wasn't sure what he meant by "extended" because I wasn't aware of what the dates were to begin with, and I should have asked for clarification but I didn't. Anyone else hear anything about this?
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 562
    L67 said:
    I was shopping at a LEGO store today and the clerk mentioned that the October double points has been extended. I wasn't sure what he meant by "extended" because I wasn't aware of what the dates were to begin with, and I should have asked for clarification but I didn't. Anyone else hear anything about this?
    I heard that double points were being extended to the 14th.
    L67
  • evantylerevantyler Central OhioMember Posts: 75
    If that's true, the two promotions (VIP double-points and the holiday "free w/ $99" train set) will overlap for only one day, right? *fingers crossed*
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 62
    Train starts on 13th, so it would be two days (if true).
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    Great news if they overlap, even if just for a couple of days.  Time to get the Detective Office, it seems.    

As for the question what would you do if promos were eliminated?  Well, I'd focus on buying all of the smaller sets only from Amazon (through the Brickset affiliate links, of course!) or other retailers when discounted.  Right now I try to wait on sets for promos and use them to get freebies, but there's no reason to pay full price if there is no promo.  I might continue to get large direct to consumer sets at the LEGO store, but I also might switch to Target since there I save 5% with the Redcard.  That ends up having the same financial impact as the regular VIP points.  
  • L67L67 New Hampshire USAMember Posts: 6
    If there is an overlap I plan to take advantage of that, but otherwise I would much rather have the train than the points so I will be waiting for the train regardless. For me, 5% and even 10% discount is not nearly enough of an incentive, and especially not for buying during a short four day period (even 14 days is pretty short, a month of double points makes more sense from an incentive perspective). As others have noted, those discounts can be found elsewhere for the non-exclusive items, and in any event if I am willing to spend $95 on LEGO then I don't mind spending $100. The pressure point for me is product pricing on a per-set basis, not the long-term discount level.

I don't buy enough LEGO for the discount to add up to anything meaningful, and I can't buy much of anything else with the remaining $5, so the discount has very little value. The closest LEGO stores to me are all in Massachusetts, which has 6.25% sales tax, so the discount barely covers even that.

In one of the LEGO surveys I mentioned that the VIP program did not provide meaningful incentives. The response from the store manager was that in addition to the discounts, the VIP program provides early access to exclusive products and a few other trivial benefits. But if anyone can sign up for VIP at any time and at no cost to get early access, then I don't see how it is anything special. If anything it benefits LEGO more than the customer by providing LEGO with consumer-specific purchasing information for not much in return. I think the VIP program needs some sort of overhaul.
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    Double VIP Points - "Offer is valid October 1-14 2015 only in a LEGO Store, via Shop.LEGO.com and on orders over the phone. Ends at 11:59pm EST. For online and telephone orders, points are attributed to the account once payment is received. VIP Membership required. See http://VIP.LEGO.com or inquire in a LEGO Store for details on free membership. Offer cannot be combined with any other VIP Program offer, discount or coupon. Points will not be credited for purchases made prior to, or after this promotion. Points will not be earned on the purchase of Gift Cards or any applicable taxes or shipping charges. Offer not valid at LEGOLAND Discovery Centers or LEGOLAND Parks. The LEGO Group reserves the right to amend or cancel this promotion at any time without prior notice. Subject to availability.

So the date seems to have been extended to the 14th for double points,but does the section I highlighted mean that you can or can't get the Holiday Train if you hold out until the 13th?
    ^ doubtful.  it's legal mumbo jumbo they have to put in, but I suspect the purpose is more to prevent double-dipping of discounts (as if such thing exists anymore!).

I'd be shocked if you didn't get both double VIP and the holiday freebie on the 13th/14th.  I seriously doubt their POS systems are even setup to handle that scenario. What, are they going to ask every customer "hey, do you want double VIP or do you want this free set?"  no way.
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 443
    I'm glad to see they extended it. Looks like I'll be placing my order on the 13th :)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited October 2015
    ^^^Unless they changed things, you will get both the double VIP and Holiday Train.
    MrJ_NY
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 805
    Anyone knows what the dates are for these in NZ?