Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Chester Catherdral in Lego

Is anyone on here involved in this project.  Seems like a fun and creative way of raising money for the cathedral.

The one thing that the website could do with though is some photo progress updates.

http://www.chestercathedral.com/chester-cathedral-in-lego.html

Comments

• mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    I work in Chester and had no clue about this! 

I'll take a stroll tomorrow lunchtime and see if I can get a few bricks added and take a photo. Good excuse to go Series 14 hunting whilst I'm at it! 

Thanks for the heads up. 
    WatfordScottyM
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,314
    It sounds like they are copying Durham.
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 402
    Thanks for your valuable input @CCC.  I've also seen the Durham Cathedral model, but I'm not sure it's entirely relevant to my questions about Chester.
  • LegobusfanLegobusfan Hampshire Member Posts: 15
    There is a Chester Cathedral model available to buy on their website now.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 494
    Given one British cathedral a year seems to be starting such a project (Exeter having announced one to start in 2016) I wonder if there's going to be a bottleneck as BrightBricks scrambles to design the giant model (and perhaps the micro-models too) in advance of the project being made public? I wonder where the 2017 announcement will be made? :)
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ Don't worry about Bright Bricks, they have these things well in hand :-)
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,107
    edited December 2015
    The earliest know model of an English Cathedral made out of LEGO is a 1962 UK British LEGO Ltd. (of Wrexham Wales) model shop model of the facade of York Minster, largest surviving medieval cathedral in England.  This was a large and very ambitious model meant for UK toy store windows, and is the only known example (in the collection of a UK Yorkshire LEGO collector).

Here's another 1962 cathedral LEGO model... made at the Samsonite LEGO model shop in Detroit USA... a model of Ulm Cathedral in Germany.  The real cathedral (located in Ulm on the river Danube) has the worlds tallest church tower at 529 ft.

No known examples of this glued display models are known to exist.

Both images from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide... chapter on TLG Glued LEGO Display Models.
    kiki180703